Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He was probably reigning himself in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Had anyone got a link to a video that explains all this stuff? I'm struggling to get my head round extension and flex without some visual aid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

notaspy posted:

Had anyone got a link to a video that explains all this stuff? I'm struggling to get my head round extension and flex without some visual aid.

Ignore the 15 degrees bullshit, that was brought in because Murali was a cheat and the BCCI backed him up for god knows what reason.

You are not allowed to have your arm bend during the delivery stride. It can be at any angle you want, but if it moves during the release, its an illegal delivery. Chucking.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

serious gaylord posted:

Ignore the 15 degrees bullshit, that was brought in because Murali was a cheat and the BCCI backed him up for god knows what reason.

You are not allowed to have your arm bend during the delivery stride. It can be at any angle you want, but if it moves during the release, its an illegal delivery. Chucking.

Welp, wrap it up every bowler in history

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

No.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Haters Objector posted:

Welp, wrap it up every bowler in history

Also this. Every bowlers arm moves a little bit, hence the '15 degrees' waiver.

Spinners get hit the most because the really good balls require such weird body movement that the elbow flexes way too much.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Ajmal has decided to appeal his ban, which is actually pretty funny

e: he actually isn't, but the fact that it was considered is still odd

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 13, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Windies are doing the soul-crushing grind after being put in, which I can appreciate. It would be nice to get their new opener a decent score on debut.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

murali's arm didn't bend during his action it was just always crooked and he had a super flexible wrist and shoulder. he was legit. h8rs vac8

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

notaspy posted:

Your elbow is only allowed to straighten 15 degrees from when your arm is horizontal behind your shoulder until release above your head. Movement beyond straight(ie elbow hyperextension) doesn't count apparently.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Great boundary parry catch from Tim Southee in the champions league.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shiv is going to run out of partners again. He might get to 50 NO's this match.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's 49.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
https://medium.com/@tweededbadger/introducing-the-non-boundary-strike-rate-807d4a0908fe

Some guy came up with a new stat just to talk about poo poo Cook is.

Wilcrap
Jun 23, 2004
Go hard, Go fast
Great post. I'm a huge fan of non-traditional measures of success and cricket still has a huge way to go in this area.

Also confirms my thoughts on Twatson, that he's a boundary or nothing guy (not to mention his appalling shot selection and inability to adapt to different conditions and match requirements)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bangladesh are really very bad.

Nice 30th ton for Shiv, another * for the collection

goatface fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 16, 2014

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Nice one Stokes you twat http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/o36833

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He just ruins everything.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
15 wickets in 20 overs is pretty good imo.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Kane Williamson is probably earning a million dollar IPL contract at this very moment in the champion's league.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good for him, he'd probably enjoy that. Maybe they can properly ruin him for test cricket, like god intended.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

goatface posted:

Good for him, he'd probably enjoy that. Maybe they can properly ruin him for test cricket, like god intended.

"Don't be so jealous of IPL." - the Great MS Dhoni

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

goatface posted:

If there's one player who works hard enough to not be destroyed by IPL it's Kane Willliamson, guy is an utter cricket nerd.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe they'll actually put him in the drat T20 side now.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Mister Chief posted:

Maybe they'll actually put him in the drat T20 side now.

I think they didn't select him for T20s for exactly the reasons mentioned above, they were worried it would effect his development as primarily a test player. What has happened though is he's such a cricket aspie that he put exactly the same dedication into developing distinct ODI and T20 games as he did for his test game and now he's undeniably a lock for all forms of the game. He's an exciting talent in all forms of cricket but drat I hope he doesn't burn out or end up compromising his test match game.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bad Kane Williamson would still be a lock for us.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm looking forward to him suddenly coming back from his chucking ban as a world-class Murali clone that can pass the most sophisticated biometric tests known to science at will.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Williamson can actually bowl (or chuck whatever) a bit, it'd be interesting to see how good he'd be if he put his mind to it.

when are bloody australia and nz going to play tests again so they can weep at the blackcaps batting class

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Watto's back to his usual injured self. Hilfy called up, Mitchell Marsh will probably play though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I wonder just how good Watson would have been had he not constantly had injuries interrupting his development as a player?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hilfy owns

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder just how good Watson would have been had he not constantly had injuries interrupting his development as a player?

Just as poo poo but we would have had to put up with him for 3x the amount of tests

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

He would have been better than Kallis I think.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's not injuries that make him plonk his enormous front pad in front of off stump and get hit on the knee over and over again

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

I think they didn't select him for T20s for exactly the reasons mentioned above, they were worried it would effect his development as primarily a test player. What has happened though is he's such a cricket aspie that he put exactly the same dedication into developing distinct ODI and T20 games as he did for his test game and now he's undeniably a lock for all forms of the game. He's an exciting talent in all forms of cricket but drat I hope he doesn't burn out or end up compromising his test match game.

Related to him being a cricket aspie:

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/news/spcri/1003719462-cricket--williamson-takes-on-left-handed-bowling

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now all he needs are some deep-seated emotional problems, and he can be the Ronnie O'Sullivan of cricket.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is Mitchell Marsh actually any good?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

:stare:

I've never heard about Williamson being some sort of cricket autist but I'm glad he is lads because he's real loving good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Haters Objector posted:

It's not injuries that make him plonk his enormous front pad in front of off stump and get hit on the knee over and over again

Probably a result of all his hamstring tears I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2766994/Ravi-Bopara-James-Taylor-given-World-Cup-chance-tour-Sri-Lanka.html

James Taylor and Ravi Bopara will be handed a late World Cup opportunity when they are named in an England one-day squad laden with experience to take on Sri Lanka under Alastair Cook’s captaincy.

Ravi :getin:

• Locked thread