Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I will consider this South African series a success if we last longer than 3 days in at least one of the tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

What's the biggest test defeat ever?

5th Ashes test of 1938, where Australia lost by an innings and 579 runs. England scored 903 runs in their first (and only) innings, with their opening batsman Sir Leonard Hutton scoring 364 runs. He scored more than the Australian team combined could in their two innings, where they scored 201 and 123 respectively.

New Zealand's biggest test defeat was in 2002, in Lahore to Pakistan (I believe this was the tour where there was a terrorist incident right outside the Black Caps team hotel), where they were beaten by an innings and 324 runs. Pakistan set a target of 643 runs, half of which came from Inzamam-ul-Haq's 329 runs. The Black Caps could only offer 73 runs and 246 runs in their two innings.

The lowest total for a team is 26, by New Zealand in the second test of England's tour of New Zealand in 54/55. England won by an innings and 20 runs. New Zealand set a target of 200, England responded with 246. England then dismissed New Zealand for 26 in the second innings.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 2, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brendon McCullum with a true captain's knock of 7.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

From laughter?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

Are we even serious as a cricket side

Have you seen the Black Caps lately? Complain when your coach dumps a popular and talented captain due to his buddy's venal self-interests and then the team proceeds get bowled out for 45 while top scorer has only 13 runs to his name.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

Honest question, no mockery: would you have said this before the South Africa series?

e: series/rout/embarrassment - I know about the captain drama and all that. Did you know: a team can be poo poo and frustrating while another team is poo poo and frustrating too

Obviously not the bit about being bowled out for 45, but certainly about the captaincy drama and the hamfisted handling of the fall-out by the officials, sure.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

This is a question for NZ goons specifically. I have heard two separate references to Auckland scoring 12 runs off 1 ball remaining this year (against ND?) but I cannot find anything about this incident online. Anyone know what match this could be referring to?

Is that even possible? This is the first I've heard about it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

I can only think a no-ball or quite literally the most awful fielding in cricket history (4 all run, overthrows another 4 all run, another overthrow for four)

Pretty much what I had in mind as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Doc Holliday posted:

New Zealand would have to make it through 50 overs first for that to be an issue.

They can barely make 20 as it is, let alone 50.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ashes as good as won.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

McCullum lacks the nous or the patience to be a captain, let alone a test standard player. The manner in which he's usually dismissed speaks for itself and anyone with at least half a brain should be able to see that. Not really sure what that says about the Black Caps coaching staff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

He has more nous and patience than any of our other players though. I think it's really unfair to look at dismissals in isolation, eventually we have to actually score some runs to progress an innings, and usually that entails taking on some more risk. McCullum is singled out because of who he is but he is the least of our problems right now, it smacks of talkback radio mentality to me.

You're right in that the remainder of the batting order is actually worse than McCullum in that respect (McCullum being the current second highest scorer in the NZ first innings with a whopping 13 speaks for itself), but it would be nice to have a captain (or a top order batsman) that could set a platform instead of having one that swings willy nilly at everything like an idiot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So New Zealand-esque.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What the gently caress Sri Lanka.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

gently caress Mitchell Johnson

Cementing his spot for the Ashes, mate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh look, Aussies struggling without Mijo bowling.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sri Lanka, stop being New Zealand.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

deep square leg posted:

I have no idea what that is but I guess it's not complimentary.

It's Australia by Manic Street Preachers, edited down to just James Dead Bradfield shouting Australia over and over. I have no idea why a British kids' show about a soccerfootball team had a theme song like that, but there you go.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How long has de Villiers been singing? Also, who is that guy who looks like Frank Lampard's derpy brother?

http://youtu.be/G-RSj4RXy2Y

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tony A. Butt posted:

Also Fujitsu air-conditioners

Not as good as our Stephen.

http://youtu.be/EK3AF6fDUOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Warne was talking about him though. :confused:

I meant Mark Taylor falls short of Stephen Fleming when talking about Fujitsu products.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Kane Richardson was bought for $700,000 by the way. No, not Williamson, Richardson.

Who the gently caress is Kane Richardson? :confused:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd go with the funniest names. I hope there's a Phil McCracken playing somewhere in Australia.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

All that doping, and they still lose a test to New Zealand. :smugdog:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Settle down lads, we've still got this.

Never underestimate our team's ability to gently caress up.

Edit: See?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 17, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think that's the game. Surely, the Black Caps can't lose from here, right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Stop loving up, loving McCullum!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mark Richardson fans here may be pleased to know that he's been nominated for the prestigious TV Guide Best on the Box Sexiest Man award over here in New Zealand.

Also, here he is arguing his bikie credentials and making motorcycle noises.

http://youtu.be/zYqLsa2cHTU

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 19, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In a way, I'm relieved I completely forgot this game was on.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, didn't Tendulkar retire? Who am I thinking of? I could have sworn he'd packed it in.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

a pretty objectionable guy

Indian_and_Australian_cricket_teams.txt

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Listen to this. Two bowlers bowling from opposite ends simultaneously. Twice the runs in half the time = money.

And bats that look like giant pizza boards! More DLF Maximums for everyone!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Still 30 short of where we should be at the end of the innings.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Typical loving Black Caps.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

What is Australia's worst ever defeat in India?

In tests:

By an innings and 219 runs in Kolkota, played between the 18th to the 21st of March, 1998.
Australia's first innings total was 233 (top score of 80 by Steve Waugh) and second innings total was 181 (top score of 45 by Mark Taylor).
Javagal Srinath, Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble all got 3 wickets each in the first innings, the other dismissal being a run out of Steve Waugh.

Kumble got 5 in the second innings, Srinath got 3 and Rajesh Chauhan got 1 wicket. Just like in the first innings, the top scorer was run out, which accounts for the other wicket.

India's first innings score was 633/5, with Mohammad Azharuddin top scoring with 163.
Gavin Robertson got 2 wickets, while Mark Wuagh, Greg Blewett and Michael Kasprowicz got 1 wicket each.

In ODIs:
(where Australia set the target)
By 7 wickets on the 7th of September, 1986 in Jaipur

Australia set a total of 250/3 in 47 overs (I guess that means it rained)
Top score was by David Boon with a tidy 111.
The aforementioned Azharuddin was the sole Indian bowler to get a wicket, with the other two dismissals being run outs.

India got 251/3 in 41 overs, with a top score of 102 by Kris Srikkanth.
Bruce Reid and Greg Matthews got 1 wicket each, the other dismissal being a run out.

(where Australia were chasing)
By 118 runs on the 31st of March, 2001 in Indore
India set a target of 299/8, playing out the full 50 overs
Sachin Tendulkar top scored with 139.
Glenn McGrath got 3 wickets, Damien Fleming got 2 and Ian Harvey got 1. 2 Indian batsmen were run out.

Australia were all out for 181 in 35.5 overs
Adam Gilchrist top scored with 63
Harbhajan Singh and Ajit Agarkar both got 3 wickets each, Srinath got 2 and Ganguly got 1 wicket. Shane Warne was run out, to account for the other wicket.

In T20s:
By 7 wickets on the 20th of October, 2007 in Mumbai
Australia set a target of 166/5, with Ponting the top run scorer with 76.
Irfan Pathan got 2 wickets, while Harbhajan Singh and RP Singh got 1 wicket each. The other dismissal was a run out.

India scored 167/3 in their innings.
Top score of 63 by Gautam Gambhir.
Brett Lee, Ben Hilfenhaus and Michael Clarke all got 1 wicket each.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Explain Chris Martin's test career

He's the greatest batsman.

http://youtu.be/KwM3vSlhH_w

http://youtu.be/H-IPDgxHfwQ

http://youtu.be/wpdvVjKUTvE

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Don't worry, we'll be dismissed for less than 50 again in our first innings.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How's the weather in Wellington?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

I thought that was Shane Warne for a minute, holy poo poo :lol:

Didn't Shane Warne take a leap into uncanny valley and turn into a skinny wax sculpture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

These pitches aren't very good.

How appropriate for the team that calls them home.

• Locked thread