Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Quanta posted:

lol at Dhoni playing for his average.

I was just going to post this.
He's probably their best player, but he also epitomises everything wrong with Indian cricket:
Overpaid, underperforming, couldn't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's nice to know there's a Test series coming up against New Zealand.
That way, England can give Broad a couple of games to see if he's going to un-poo poo himself and if he doesn't, we can just pick someone else for the Ashes.

I guess that means Anderson, Finn, Swann + Bresnan/Tremlett/Meaker as a four-man attack.
I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped out Finn for Meaker for the NZ series, just to see how he gets on, but the selectors might not want to risk an inexperienced bowler if Broad still isn't up to scratch.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I remember seeing/reading interviews with the England Women's players and a lot of them play for club sides.
Watching the occasional bits of games, the pace bowling is quite a lot slower (than most teams, Sri Lanka would feel right at home) and spinners don't seem to get much turn.
Also, the batting seems familiar to me and I watched England ODIs back in the early-mid 90s.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

The England women's wicketkeeper, Sarah Taylor, is apparently in talks to play for the Sussex men's second XI this summer. Just thought I would mention it because a while ago some people in here were talking about the possibility of something like this happening.

To clarify, the reports suggest she'll play if the regular 2nd XI keeper is unavailable for whatever reason.
I think it's a great idea; if she does well, it'll be interesting to see whether that has an impact on her performances for England Women.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goatface posted:

TANGERINE CHANDERPAUL

16 years old your first class debut? When you're actually as old as your birth certificate says? Is that young, or is it just me?

I'm a big fan of the Shiv, but there's really no excuse for giving your kid a name like that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Nice to see Harmandeep Kaur demonstrating that Dhoni isn't the only Indian batter mostly interested in protecting his/her average.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Hyperriker posted:

Ashley Giles should be the coach of england forever because of this ball alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mESB4zb3Wg

That was probably supposed to be a bouncer, tbh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, the Australian women's team giving more credence to the theory that their Super 6 loss was no accident.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

notaspy posted:

Ricky Ponting is going to play for Surrey this year (can't wait to see him run out G. Smith, his captain). Why did I have to be cursed with growing up in South London and having this shower as my team?

Ponting's only going to be there while Smith's off being insufferable with South Africa.
Shame, really. It'd be fun to watch Surrey continue to be poo poo with Smith and Ponting in the team.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

just drop him forever imho

As long as they give Dernbach the same punishment at the same time, I could probably live with this.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

Lol @ multiple Indian batsmen getting out to Lyon at home.

This.
Also, don't try too hard guys. It'd be fantastic if Dhoni is still captain when England next have a series against India.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Surely the problem with Aus spinners at the moment is that 99% of the time they're used to tie up an end while Clarke rotates the seamers looking for whoever had the banned substances sprinkled on their Frosties that morning?
So Lyon, Doherty, Maxwho? and anyone else your selectors pick don't actually know how to bowl to take wickets; just how to try to stop the batsmen scoring runs.

Which doesn't really help them win games, and really doesn't help against India, whose batsmen face off against lovely spinners every week (like Harbhajan).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From Cricinfo:

quote:

McEnroe has a good suggestion: "Can I suggest a new rule. It's called a Bowling Declaration. At any point in time the bowling side may declare, at which point the batting team is awarded a 200 run lead on the bowling teams first innings total, plus 10 runs per wicket remaining. In this case it would give India a 270 run lead. My reason for the suggestion is that Pattinson has bowled 27 overs already, and if he bowls any more he is likely to breakdown. And then Siddle will bowl his guts out and will have to be rested, and then....it hurts to much to think how bad this could get. Bowling Declaration."

Here's a thought, if your bowling attack is so poo poo that you're literally willing to throw the game so the poor darlings don't get injured... maybe you should make them earn their appearance fee and if they get injured in the process, you don't have to worry about not picking them for the next game.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
Also, that. The beauty of a leg-side strangle. There's going to be some very angry Indian fanmail. :allears:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Checked the BBC Text Commentary, saw

quote:

WICKET- Martin c Prior b Finn 41
and almost spat my beer all over my monitor.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tony Jowns posted:

haha compton will get a ton and he'll be 1st xi for ashes

So?
He's a comfortably better batsman than 10/11 of the Australian team. In fact, Luke Wright is a better batsman than 10/11 of the Australian team.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

The Barmy Army pack out grounds even if we're poo poo. Infact I much preferred the crowds when we were awful, far too many moaning middle class day trippers these days.

The Barmy Army pack out grounds because even if we're poo poo, it's still better than 10 days in Majorca, or some poo poo like that.
The fact that there's a decent chance you'll see an England win is a bonus, frankly. There's convenient beer, friendly locals, good weather New Zealand tours notwithstanding and occasionally a fat cricketer to abuse for hours on end New Zealand tours, mostly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

The Bangladesh game :stare:

Sri Lanka should be banned from hosting Tests until they're able to produce usable pitches.
I mean seriously, you just shipped 638 runs. In one innings. Against Bangladesh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd be laughing harder, but this is exactly what England will be like when that chucklefuck Giles gets put in charge.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

I think it might have been a mistake to make the captain one of the selectors.

I dunno, making the Captain one of the selectors has worked quite well for England for a while now.
Maybe the problem was giving the role of Captain to your best player. The WIndies tried that for a while, with Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Gayle, but it was only when they gave the job to Sammy that they started improving as a team.

[EDIT]
Clarke strikes me as the kind of man who'd tell a newly-dismissed batsman how he should have played the shot, and then maybe demonstrate for him.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2013

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

quote:

Smith to Dhawan, FOUR, another full toss, and Dhawan sends this crashing to the deep midwicket boundary boards again
Smith to Dhawan, FOUR, nice juicy waist-high full toss, and Dhawan hits his 30th four, to deep midwicket. Only Tip Foster has hit more fours on debut

:allears:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

Only a complete scumbag would have appealed for that. It therefore stikes me as odd that the Australian cricket team did not appeal.

In the glorious future, when Graeme Smith is coaching Australia to their first Ashes triumph in 20 years... then you'll see it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This Australia/India series is great.

So many mediocre players inflating their averages, cementing their place in the side (thanks, Phil Hughes!), ensuring hours of entertaining failures in future.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jazzyhattrick posted:

Yes, but it's almost inevitable that at least one of them will be rained off.

Where ever there are drought warnings, most likely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So Michael Clarke has the shits.

Given what they've got to look forward to in England, I bet he's not the only one :smug:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The England squad for the Champions Trophy has been announced and - surprise, surprise - Ashley 'loving' Giles has packed it with Warwickshire players.

Even if you ignore Bell & Trott, you still have stellar players like Chris Woakes (last seen serving pies in India), Chris Wright (never seen not serving pies in County cricket) and Varun Chopra (who probably deserves a call-up). Beyond that, though, you have motherfucking Rikki Clarke? :suicide:

gently caress off Giles.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Anarkii posted:

Loved Kohli's innings today 93*(47).

I watched for about 30 seconds - long enough to see ABdV spastically flail a long-hop to deep-midwicket. At which point I shook my head and changed the channel.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

All you IPL haters just missed an hilarious thing.

If it involved shambolic bowling/fielding/batting, I'm sure something very similar will happen again, soon enough.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
For those of you shamefully not following the fine First Class fare on offer in the UK, world-class athlete Samit Patel scored 250 today. Yeah, today. In one day.

Against Durham MCCU

In other 'CouldaBeenAContender' news, Ravi Bops got 8, Varun Chopra also got 8 and Ricki Clarke scored 1.
Graham Napier, on the other hand, scored 12% of his team's innings total in one over: 606640

For the bowlers, Steven Finn was good, although the rate Derbyshire have scored at in their first two games, they're going straight back down.
Also, ugh, I guess Jade Dernbach got some wickets? The Cricinfo rolling commentary suggested it was all a bit low effort, though, which sounds like Jade's sort of thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Graeme Smith justifying whatever massive salary Surrey are throwing his way with a well-crafted 2 today.
The highlight of the day seems to have been Essex who saw Northants go from 171-8 to 399 all out, #s 8-11 scoring 76,2,88 and 70 respectively.

Top effort there, lads.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goatface posted:

Is Chesney Hughes actually "carried-his-bat 270*" good, or is this just county cricket being county cricket?

Yorkshire closed on 160-odd for 1, so it's probably just a terrible pitch.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Durham, though, have made a complete mockery of Notts' bowling.
They chased 184 in 20.2 overs.

The most economical bowler was dear old Samit, who went at 7.26 per over.
I bet the ECB are really glad they released Swann & Broad for this game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Of note this evening is Essex getting annihilated by Hampshire in the first Yorkshire Bank 40 match of the season.
244/7 isn't great, but it's not bad.
Losing in 30 overs, by 9 wickets, however. That's bad.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ilanin posted:

It seems that Adil Rashid might have remembered how to bat. Now if he can remember how to bowl as well, Yorkshire might well stay up this year...

I dunno. If they keep racking up big innings scores, I doubt they'll lose too many games.
Lancashire, though, are batting like they belong at club level this season.

Also, Ishant Sharma's efforts in the IPL today will have given renewed hope to Saj Mahmood that he can get a contract next season.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lionel Richie posted:

Who is Toby Roland-Jones? He's got amazing stats and a stupid surname, why hasn't he been picked for England?

In addition to what tarbrush says, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game if the third Test against NZ is a dead-rubber, or if England get a couple of injuries to their fast bowlers.
He seems pretty high on the selectors' list at the moment, and he's in good form, so I don't think it'd take much for him to get a call-up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

Is anyone watching this? Trott just hit a perfect inswinging beamer back at Martin. :stare:

I've had it on Mute.
Watching Trott treat Martin like he's a quality bowler is the most :catstare: thing of all. Just whack it, FFS.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Except that Hughes is young enough to still have a chance of getting better.

I guess if England are using Compton as a stop-gap until they can find a good young opener, that's not too bad. It would just leave me wondering why they've got Chopra floating around the edges if they don't think he's ready. If he gets in the team and makes it, you could get 7 years out of him & Cook opening before either get too old. Compton = Hick.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Alistair Cook was batting like Chris Martin since lunch. Thank gently caress that's over.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Painkiller posted:

Slow pitch, heavy outfield combined with reasonably disciplined Kiwi bowling and overcautious batting with their NZ performances in mind. They're doing alright.

The problem is, if you get a good ball like Trott just did, you've lost another wicket and you still haven't scored many runs.
The bowling is disciplined, but there's a complete lack of effort to actually score runs from England.
If they'd been aggressive earlier on, McCullum would have had to react. As it is, he's been able to do things his way all day long.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Bell's going to look like a proper loving idiot when Boult & Southee take the new ball and he nicks one behind having blunted out 30 overs of shite from Martin & now Williamson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
England's problem with the bat was that no-one tried to do anything to disrupt what New Zealand were trying. McCullum set his fields - and set them well, to be fair - and the bowlers bowled to them.

But, for all the poo poo that 20/20 has brought, it's shown that you can hit a line-and-length ball over the infield and score runs. Not one batsman tried to do that. Really, I can't fault Compton, Root or Bairstow for batting the way they did; they're trying to prove they have a place in the team. Cook was alright before lunch, but lost the plot aftewards and deserved to get out, while Trott played the way he usually does.
Bell's innings, though, was a loving disgrace. He made absolutely no effort to score runs apart from his precious cover-drives and seemed happy to block out some of the most milquetoast Slow Left Arm bowling I have ever seen in my life.

The pitch was and is fine. Some swing and a bit of uneven bounce for the bowlers does not a bad batting surface make.

• Locked thread