Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Good OP, I especially enjoyed the blatant Vaughan-worship and Bresnan (over)hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I thought the thing is with allrounders is that you have to be really good at one thing and passable at the other, which Watson clearly isn't.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

There is no way we will bat out the session.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Lol the instant I posted that McCullum was bowled.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Haha holy poo poo :stare:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I can't wait for England to play 15 tests against NZ and Australia over the next year.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel RichTea posted:

I'm not so convinced about Warner either. I suspect you've got a home track bully on your hands.

He has big flaws against offspin and generally struggled in the Caribbean last year, so most likely.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If we played a fraction better against south africa we would be the world number 1 test team right now.

Same goes for England.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Bandit Solution posted:

No it doesn't, England were beaten soundly in a series which included an innings and 8 wicket victory.

But still went into the last session of the last two tests still able to win.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The job of any bowler should be to take wickets first and foremost. I mean not to leak runs like McGain did against the saffies but wickets should be their only real goal.

By those expectations I guess you're ruling out any Australian bowler then :smug:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Steve Finn averages 28.

Tremlett averages <27.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Terrible collapse by Sri Lanka.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Is it Alyssa Healey?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I think we might hear Andeson to Warner, EDGED! and OUT! a lot.

Finn to Warner, BOWLED! He's chopped him on!

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Mark Nicholas just called him the best batsman (or one of?) in Australia. Wut.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
"His ODI ranking is 20, so he's not in the top ten."
- Ian Healey

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Watching Boult bat is always good.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Sounds like Clarke couldn't get over the fact Hussey took away his control by retiring on his own terms so made a big deal out of it.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
South African commentator just asked whether NZ can hold their nerve.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
drat lucky there.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Waiting for Huss to put on his pads and walk in to bat from the commentary box.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Applecross WC. posted:

Mahela is a loving sook, I love how he told the umpire to gently caress off when he told him to hurry up and bowl the last ball.

He doesn't even have a southern cross tattoo!

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel RichTea posted:

Oh whatever. All I was saying that I don't know why people are shocked when it turns out some 18 stone giant who can run the 100m in 11 seconds turns out to be smacked off his tits on something.

Old-time strongmen were demonstrating feats of strength and power ~50 years before test was synthesized (and before modern conveniences such as refrigeration), where many of these records still haven't been broken today.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
He averages 42-odd with two centuries which is better than Braddin's entire career.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Shane Warne's squad for the 3rd India test:

1 Warner
2 Watson
3 Maxwell
4 Clarke
5 Khwaja
6 Wade
7 Henriques
8 Smith
9 Johnson
10 Pattinson
11 Lyon

Lol.

His Ashes squad:

1 Watson
2 Warner
3 Marsh S
4 Clarke
5 Wade
6 Henriques
7 Faulkner
8 Maxwell
9 Coulter-Nile
10 Pattinson
11 Lyon / Siddle Depending on Conditions....

Ferguson & Khwaja as the spare batsmen...

Bird & Starc as the 2 spare fast bowlers

Hauritz as the spare spinner...

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

bring back Ravi.

Who?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Really? In the broadcast I was streaming, they were saying you can get a match pass for $90. You're saying that's double the usual cost? drat. My D4 ashes tickets to the SCG cost $130 each.

Student rate to the University Oval last year was $35 for all 5 days

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/story/624494.html

Australia are definitely like England in the 90s.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Inb4 Phil Hughes duck.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Scylo posted:

Ponting was named Shield player of the year and Aaron Finch won Ryobi Cup player of the year. So I think that means that the best shield player is a man that wasn't good enough for international cricket anymore, and the best ODI player is a man that batted like poo poo in ODI's all summer.

I saw this:

ACA Teams of the Year

Sheffield Shield: Chris Rogers, Phillip Hughes, Alex Doolan, Ricky Ponting (capt), Callum Ferguson, Moises Henriques, Brad Haddin, Ashton Agar, Luke Butterworth, Chadd Sayers, Jackson Bird, Mark Cosgrove (12th man)

That team with Clarke a straight swap for Hughes would probably be as good as the current test team lol.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Although I thought Joe Burns was having a good season so beats me why he's not there.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel RichTea posted:

Stop being wrong about everything, Bob Willis is a legend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2Siw7r7u0

This is what I imagine you to be like.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

lol these are the flattest pitches i've seen. Talk about playing to draw.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Stop getting so butthurt.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
England digging in here.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
If I were to place bets on the overall winners for the County championship this season and the top batsmen, both for Divisions 1 and 2, who would be good contenders?

I've currently got Warks or Notts, Tres or Varun Chopra for Div 1. Lancs and Ashwell Prince/Simon Katich for Div 2.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Ilanin posted:

I would definitely advise against betting on the top batsmen. It's like a horse race with 50 runners - there's so many pretty good batsmen around that one of them who hits a purple patch at the right time (or batsmen who get the fewest games rained off, in a wet summer) can top the list ahead of theoretically much stronger batsmen. Then there's guys who could come top if they don't get international callups - James Taylor, for example, or even Chris Rogers. About half the time the batsman is somebody you'd have vaguely expected it to be, either using the Somerset rule (Somerset's best batsman will be the top run scorer) or the England reject rule (pick a batsman who had several chances in the England side but wasn't good enough), but the other half you get people like Adam Lyth showing up.

Counties, though, yeah, that seems about right. I'd probably go for Notts based on the assumption that Gilo is more likely to wreck the Warks side (and the England side, of course) with England callups for the Champions Trophy than he is the Notts side.

This is what I was assuming, it is very variable with a lot of luck involved. I had an argument with my flatmate earlier today who reckoned Taunton wasn't a flat wicket and Compton is actually a solid player who didn't have luck last season by having all home games there. I would assume picking a batsman who plays on a flatter wicket ie Taunton, Edgbaston over Trent Bridge would also be a good decision?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel Richie posted:

England's bowling stocks are actually quite weak when you take away Anderson, who's been mediocre in the last year anyway iirc. Finn's probably the only other nailed on pick. But you just know they'll try every turd merchant under the sun before anyone actually deserving gets a chance.

Anderson was alright in India in the last three tests.

See; Rikki Clarke, Chris Woakes, Chris Wright.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel Richie posted:

Woakes is a bit of an unknown so I wouldn't be averse to seeing what he's like. I suspect his bowling will be too medium paced to be effective anywhere outside England on a damp morning though. If Clarke, Wright, Dernbach or Meaker get a test pick then we're in trouble.

This is my argument too regarding Woakes. Isn't Meaker supposed to be alright or does he serve up too much rubbish?

It looks as if Harris, Roland-Jones and a fit Tremlett look like our best hopes.

EDIT: If Onions could bowl well in tour matches and warm-ups he might actually earn selection imo.

Auditore fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Have you heard Rutherford speak? Definitely not known for his intelligence.

• Locked thread