Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

serious gaylord posted:

Mark Nicholas gets closer and closer to being the only commentator left.
His plan is working.

RIP CMJ

Also, England are doomed after the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

-Spiffy- posted:

Jade Dernback looks like England's answer to Mitchell Johnson.
Steady on.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

-Spiffy- posted:

Newbies are welcome but must identify allegiance.

India is not a valid answer.
Associates 4 lyfe.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
It was touch and go there for a bit.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Very good.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I don't have a strong view on Dernbach, but I've not quite understood the whole wicket taking threat thing. He has taken 30 wickets in 22 ODIs and 26 wickets in 21 T20s, so his average wickets per game in both forms is just above 1. His economy rate in ODIs and T20s presently stands at 6.28 and 7.94 respectively. So he's obviously not taking wickets, but he certainly is being hit for a lot of runs. Also, he doesn't really have age on his side and he has no exceptional qualities (like pace, which justified the selections of people like Akhtar or Lee).

I mean, shouldn't that be the end of it?

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

Cat Terrist posted:

Spin bowling is the least of Hughes problems. I'm fairly positive he'll be one of the better players in this tour

Annnnnd #kissofdeath sees I'll be completely wrong.

Why Henriques tho? Why pick him? Why not Jackson Bird instead, surely his bowling would be more effective?
Maybe, but I'm fairly sure c Swann b Anderson is going to be one of the more common dismissals in the Ashes for Hughes.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I hazard to raise this again but I can't see how it's good for Australia that Clarke comes in to save the day when Australia are 3 down for absolutely nothing. Unless it's proven that he can't bat for poo poo any higher than 5, I can't understand why he does.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Wait. Did Australia change their opening pair in the middle of a test match? Did Warner get injured or something?

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I'm pretty sure MacGill might have something to say about that.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I thought Clarke acquitted himself, as he always does in the media, very well in extremely difficult circumstances.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
It's not as bad as all that. Australia still have a perfectly good pace bowling attack, one or two talented batsmen and one of the best batsmen in world cricket today. But for a decent DRS decision, the defeat yesterday could have put the series at 1-1. I don't think for one second that they can retrieve matters in this series, but the doomsday analysis is pretty misplaced in my opinion. Alternatively, it might be that I don't want things to change because Australia losing is :cool:

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I'm reasonably sure I've mentioned this before, but it is slightly funny thinking back to 2005-2006. I raised the issue of how Australia could possibly replace McGrath and Warne, especially the latter, and I think someone said Cam White was pretty much ready to come into the team as the new leggie and could also bat :xd:

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

Paul.Power posted:

To be fair, he averaged 37 and a bit. Which ultimately made him better* than everyone except Thorpe and Stewart.

Pretty awful man-manager, though.

* in the context of 90s England Batsmen.
And he batted (for most part, as opener) in a mediocre side that played against teams like Pakistan (with Wasim and Waqar) and Australia (with McGrath and Warne). Atherton was a very good player. I also think he was a decent captain, but it is fair to say that he left the team in desperate need of reform that only happened when Hussain took over.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
It is not determinative but it plainly is a factor. Ponting won a huge number of games but is not necessarily thought of as a great captain. I have to agree with those questioning the increasingly conventional wisdom that Clarke is a very good captain. I think he is inventive and enthusiastic but you have to weigh that against his win record (taking into account the resources at his disposal) along with other factors such as his ability to maintain discipline and get the most out of his players.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Clarke surely has to take responsibility for his side being poorly disciplined and mentally weak. That's part of my point.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

serious gaylord posted:

Talor for comparison has scored 5 from 27 balls.
He's nervous. It's pretty much certain that he will play in the Ashes if he gets a good score. Fairly big deal for a young man.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Has anyone watched this Simon Kerrigan guy? Any good?

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

tarbrush posted:

Suprised Finns been full on dropped. Tremlett for the next test then?
Surprised but I think it's a ballsy move. Finn needs a prolonged period out of the Test set-up. He's been stagnating for some time now. Always felt Tremlett was the better option and it's a shame he's had injury problems.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
I've always hoped Tremlett would end up like McGrath - unwavering line and length with the ability to generate bounce off the pitch.

Nathan Lyon's had a bit of a nightmare in this match. 1-99 off 26? Worse than Agar's figures.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Beer was the most desperate of that cohort. With all due respect, the way even the commentators spoke about him was like his Test cap was obtained through the Make A Wish Foundation.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Most of the players seem to have strike rates around 30.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Finn has stagnated and needs to prove himself at county level before he gets a run in the Test side again. I would play Tremlett or, if he can't manage it, Onions. I've always hoped Tremlett would turn into a McGrath-type bowler, offering line and length with natural bounce. I would give him every opportunity before even considering Finn.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

serious gaylord posted:

I bet Jade Dernbach will get a surprise call up for the oval.
You're not allowed to joke about things like that.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Gary Ballance has a really very good average in FC cricket. Not sure about him as an athlete though

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Kerrigan is a good call though. England need to think about who is going to take over from Swann eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Watson at 3? Are you kidding me? Someone with a glaring technical deficiency holding that position?

• Locked thread