Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

4liters posted:

He decided to sacrifice the joy of posting here in order to preserve his dignity from another :toxx: induced song.

E:
which pitch are they playing on again? :stare:

Oh and SL have lost another fast bowler.

AHAHAHA gently caress yes this is gonna be awesome for bowling :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

What's the biggest test defeat ever?

Innings and something like 576 runs

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

First innings lead in 11.2 overs - is that the quickest it's been done?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Hughes has his issues but he's bloody good through the off side from the backfoot. When he is at his best.

c Guptill B Martin

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Why are you looking forward to being beaten so much. Some weird fetish ?

You cant seriously think this pack will beat England.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Bloody hell can Johnson ever string two games together where he is playing good cricket?

To be fair (grudgingly) he didnt bowl badly. And to be fair (again grudgingly) he hasn't been spraying crap all over the place in any game since he's been back.

Thankfully he'll be dropped when Pattinson is back. Bird's clearly quite good, Siddle is Siddle and Starc is clearly better than Johnson. And at some point Alister McDermott will also join the long line of good fast bowlers to play and Johnson will be carrying drinks.

And then there's also the long line of injured top level quicks to come back that are clearly better than Johnson. So dont sweat it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

NZ will still lose badly but at least they are showing some fight this innings

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Not exactly sure how Ch10 could be short of money when they have Gina the Hutt bankrolling them. Unlike other billionaires, most her wealth is liquid and very real, rather than debt financed against a nominal share value.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FC ave of 66 this season. Yeah unfortunantly he's genuinely better than almost all the alternatives.

Aussie batting options really are that hosed up

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fuckpot posted:

I want Ryan Harris back.

What about Pattinson?

The only bright spo in any Ashes talk is the bowling line up for Australia and the reserves list is pretty good - Harris, Cummings, Pattinson, Bird, Starc, Siddle, Hilfenhaus to start with and a few others like McDermott who are just as good or better. IF Aust can hold a bowling attack together, most of them know how to swing a ball and are accurate.

Lyon really needs to get better fast tho. He's got potential but he bowls too fast and aims to contain, rather than tryig to spin the ball. Frankly we're better off just going with a four prong pace attack - Bird, Pattinson, Harris and Siddle, Starc first in line to repalce any injured bowler. Cummings needs to have a year in FC

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Watson's mentally incapable of being a batsman only. All bowlers have to do is aim for his front leg and he's gone LBW or wait until he snaps in half. Again tho if he begins to score consistent 80's and 90's before hilariously getting ut, that's better than what the rest of FC batsmen have to offer.

Whta a terrible situation. Lyon's literally the best spinner in the country and he's poo poo, Tim Paine's the best keeper option but he cant bat as well as Wade so he's not going to get a chance, the batting all oveer the country is terrible and no one other than Clarke has a clue how to play spin.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

At present he is simply not good enough as a batsman to hold his place. Maxwell is also a bit of a plonker but if they must play him it would allow the selectors to play four quicks.

We need a Colin Miller again - quite good pace bowler and more than handy offspinner.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scylo posted:

The media kept telling everybody that this was the B team, so nobody decided to turn up.

Not doing bad for the B-Team

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hyperriker posted:

He is a huge oval office though, that's why he got the job

Is there a good cricketer who isnt a massive oval office?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What the hell was wrong with the outfield? Not like it was that much rain and only two days ago the ground was being blasted by a blowtorch.

poo poo umpiring all round today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Holy poo poo LOLstralia are bad at this batting thing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

4liters posted:

Nah, Hughes is actually good.

All that poo poo technique and no feet movement arent a problem once the slips are gone. He's not crap against spinners.

His FC limited overs stats are actually very good - I doubt he's got more than an off / on test career but ODI and T20, he'll do pretty well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thepokey posted:

"a wonderful communicator" ... first time I've heard Mark Taylor described that way.

As a captain to his players? Yeah he was. He did a lot to turn an average side and some players with potential into something special that became the greatest team we ever had under Waugh.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scylo posted:

We're going to lose in India

Australia (squad): Michael Clarke (c), Shane Watson, Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, Xavier Doherty, Moises Henriques, Phil Hughes, Mitchell Johnson, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.

Oh gently caress me, we are so gonna get thrashed.

What the hell does Steve O'Keefe have to do to get a go? Literally averaging 15 per wicket better than any other spinner in Australia at present, yet we have Doherty as backup to Lyon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

At least Starc is making sure that if we play a left handed bowler it'll be him, not Johnson

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

When Starc is on he is a terrific prospect. Way more upshot than Johnson. Its just he's obviously raw and is a touch impatient. Probably from playing too much short cricket. He is tall, fast and can move the ball.

Just got to get into the habit of trying to bowl the same ball every time and bowling the change up a lot less often.

Starc really did look like just another Johnson when he first got into the side. But unlike Johnson, he's improved and gotten more consistent.

Plus he's clearly not as mentally fragile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Let them rot in IPL hell by themesleves and the rest just play real cricket.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Pig in the City posted:

Australia has an opening partnership. England you are ON NOTICE

Not bad with the Spoonboy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Watson in the 80's, time for the comedy loss of his wicket

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

South Africa are sort of bad at 2/3 of the formats.

Oh I dunno. They are pretty good at ODI.

And who cares about the pretend format.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

This viewpoint gets trottted out repeatedly in every SAS doping discussion and is always retarded. Allowing PEDs essentially makes it impossible for clean athletes to compete and will just lead to an arms race to find the newest unsanctioned/untested drug to stay ahead of the competition for the rest, resulting in death of players on the pitch or shortly after retirement.

Just look at retired Eat German women who have huge health problems from doping or Armstrong's cancer was probably triggered by doping in the first place.

Doping is rife in all sports with most countries, the report is just the first one that's actually put it in black and white how widespread it really is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scylo posted:

Turns out the reason the BCCI are being poo poo about letting English county players play is because the ECB were poo poo about letting IPL teams play exhibition matches

Anything that throws poo poo at the BCCI is alright with me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BlackShadow posted:

I'm surprised they didn't shield Hughes from the vicious turning Indian pitches.

Spin bowling is the least of Hughes problems. I'm fairly positive he'll be one of the better players in this tour

Annnnnd #kissofdeath sees I'll be completely wrong.

Why Henriques tho? Why pick him? Why not Jackson Bird instead, surely his bowling would be more effective?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What a bizarro start by Australia. Oh and Schewag gives Warner life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scylo posted:

Nice 50 by Henriques. Rare to see an Australian come to the crease after a few wickets have fallen and make some runs.

I wish I had somewhere other than Test Match Sofa to listen to this..:(

Henriques is still probably pinching himself that he got a test cap in the first place.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BlackShadow posted:

Henriques looks composed and determined to stay there, making the opposition work hard for his wicket. Very impressive so far.

Hmmmm. Not a bad Spoonboy there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

This Clarke guy seems to be half allright.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

webmeister posted:

380 seems like a decent first innings total, nice work.

If the BCCI allowed DRS it's about 120 more than they would have got.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

webmeister posted:

Yeah I know, but frankly I'm happy to see obvious DRS cases going against India.

Dont we all?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

drat, Pattinson really is a cut above the other bowlers in this test match. Dunno why Bird aint playing, he'd be brilliant on this pitch

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scylo posted:

Every delivery he bowls seems to be exactly the same, there's no reason why he can't vary his speed a bit more or something.

He seems to have no idea how to bowl variety

Clarke's bowler selection has been loving odd to say the least.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hyperriker posted:

That's all well and good except we have no spinners worth picking except for that one state guy everyone keeps talking about who never gets in the national side

Can not possibly be worse than the dreck Lyon is bowling right now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, kiss of death on Hughes being able to play spin.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Chemi posted:

I hazard to raise this again but I can't see how it's good for Australia that Clarke comes in to save the day when Australia are 3 down for absolutely nothing. Unless it's proven that he can't bat for poo poo any higher than 5, I can't understand why he does.

There's this really cool website with stats called Cricinfo you should have a look at sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

4liters posted:

Oh and I heard that the reason O'Keefe isn't getting picked is because he's on a blacklist for telling a few people (Clarke, some CA folk) where to go.

There's a few too many stories of Clarke being a vindictive prick to not be something to them.

• Locked thread