Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I like Moonlight Falls. My new save with my mods and Supernatural installed has a very slutty woman who I pretend is a lady of the night who has one kid, who has awful fashion sense, is fat, rude, and also a vampire.

So one night my fat kid invites one of his female vampire buddies over since apparently rude, fat, slob kids have game, and they both sit down outside to do homework. I don't want him to succeed, so I kick him up and move them over to the side of the house and have them start making out as teenagers should be doing late at night when mom isn't home.

Night falls, it's a full moon, zombie appears. Sits and attacks both my sim and his "girlfriend." They're both vampires, so nothing happens. It was a little funny to me to watch them get bit over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Holy poo poo, right after I made my Fat Shy Sim who dreamed of being a famous singer, he meets an alien right off the bat. Pretty awesome.

And my game froze and crashed. Not so awesome

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 8, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My homeless sim's new wife (the town slattern) got abducted. I hope that the mods I have aren't messing with the chance to get abducted because it really seems a bit much, unless it has something to do with the Alien Baby I already have.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
This is a bit of a dumb question but I want EA's story progression to be off so that Awesomemod's story progression thing works, right? Or should they both be on. :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Timall posted:

Is there a mod that forces Sims to change to their casual clothes once they've finished work for the day? Currently I'm using MasterController to manually do it but it gets annoying.

NRaas once again! You'll need the Dresser mod, which does exactly what you want, plus it lets you cycle outfits on all sims and basically its great if you hate Sims' silliness with clothes.

Trilin posted:

This is a bit of a dumb question but I want EA's story progression to be off so that Awesomemod's story progression thing works, right? Or should they both be on. :v:

EA's needs to be off or Awesome's won't work, yeah.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Trilin posted:

If you have AwesomeMod installed, it automatically disables EA's story progression. It may not show in the menu, but it's not working.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Alright, thanks, it's just really hard to tell what's working and what isn't. Sims I create and drop in their own homes should be finding their own jobs and stuff, right?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Story progression only works for inactive sims, to make the neighbourhood look and feel more alive while you're playing the active family. So don't go expecting the family you're playing to autonomously look for a job, but all your neighbours will!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm really interested in downloading custom neighborhoods, but it seems like every single one requires World Adventures and/or Late Night. I only have Showtime, Supernatural and Ambitions. Any good neighborhoods that only require those?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Yeah sorry I'm being really :downs: but this is the bit that's confusing me. I don't remember this being on it's own like that, is this the option for the mod's or EA's?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That's the option that has been patched into the normal game that apparently doesn't work. The mod menu is pulled up by clicking the town hall in your neighborhood.

(but if you have AwesomeMod you don't have to turn it off at all, it is automatically done)

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Ok, thanks! I'm not seeing any story feed pop-ups but since everything else about Awesomemod seems to be working I'll just assume it is.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The "Add these files" link in the OP doesn't work, you have an extra h on the http://

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I added everyone who posted their names to my Sims friends list. I'm Annakiie (note the extra i). I also added most of you on Origin because I didn't realize at first Sims had it owns separate friends thing. Whoops.

I realized last night by the way, that my cat's lifetime rewards bed, bowl and automatic pet washer didn't come with me in the move. So be sure to pack up lifetime rewards items if you're moving houses. In about 5 hours of work last night I managed to decorate the Butler's quarters and bathroom, the office, the kitchen and create/decorate the half bath, then move all of the indoor furniture into the right rooms, and pick out a bunch of windows. I think it's going to be a week before I'm done actually building this mansion and get my sims to start living again. I also realized my $100k decorating budget is probably not going to be enough to even finish the inside.

Also I just saw that the new Stuff pack is going to be 70's, 80's and 90's stuff. As someone who's been alive for all those decades, I'm super excited for it!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The guide for Relativity in this thread says relative skills and motives is self-explanatory...so maybe I am dumb. If I set bladder to true, does that mean bladder will decay relative to the time I set? If I set it to false and, for example, set my time to 20, will bladder seem to decay faster or quicker than normal? And if quicker, why would energy be set to false by default? Wouldn't that mean you'd need to sleep a lot more?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Trilin posted:

Ok, thanks! I'm not seeing any story feed pop-ups but since everything else about Awesomemod seems to be working I'll just assume it is.

That's because the story pop-ups don't happen with AM, they're a feature of NRaas' Story Progression. Also that menu is on its own because if you have Supernatural/Late Night, that's where the options for turning off celebrities and certain supernatural types are. It gets pretty crowded if you have all the EPs like I do.

GoGoGadget posted:

The guide for Relativity in this thread says relative skills and motives is self-explanatory...so maybe I am dumb. If I set bladder to true, does that mean bladder will decay relative to the time I set? If I set it to false and, for example, set my time to 20, will bladder seem to decay faster or quicker than normal? And if quicker, why would energy be set to false by default? Wouldn't that mean you'd need to sleep a lot more?

If you set your motives to true, it will decay relative to the time, yes. If you set it to false, it'll decay as if the game speed was default so it'll decay quicker. The explanation on NRaas (which will also answer your question about the energy motive) goes like this:

quote:

What are Relative Motives/Skills ?

By changing the relative speed, you are altering how slow or fast the in-game speed flows relative to real-time.

However, the deltas applied to motives and skills are still based on in-game clock speed, not how fast time flows in real-time.

To compensate, a factor is applied to those deltas to make them appear as if they are changing at the same rate relative to real-time.

So, if you reduce the relative speed by half, all the deltas are multiplied by two.

The "Relative Motives" and "Relative Skill Gains" options in the mod determine which elements are adjusted in this manner.

By default Energy is not a relative motive. This means that energy does not increase faster when you are running on a slower speed. The sim will therefore sleep for eight sim-hours regardless of the relative speed you are running.

From here

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2013

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

That's because the story pop-ups don't happen with AM, they're a feature of NRaas' Story Progression. Also that menu is on its own because if you have Supernatural/Late Night, that's where the options for turning off celebrities and certain supernatural types are. It gets pretty crowded if you have all the EPs like I do.

If you set your motives to true, it will decay relative to the time, yes. If you set it to false, it'll decay as if the game speed was default so it'll decay quicker. The explanation on NRaas (which will also answer your question about the energy motive) goes like this:

From here

So if I set relative skills to false with a slower game speed, they will take less Sim time to do? For example, writing a book will take just as much real time, but less Sim time?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

This one might be tough to explain but basically what's happening there is that the mod is saying "okay, time needs to be going at this speed instead of default" (which is 37) and time slows down. The skills on the other hand are being told "you're still running at default" so while as far as the game is concerned nothing is moving faster or slower, it appears to be because the skill gain is going up faster than it should be relative to the time...if that makes sense at all. Oh god I'm an astrophysics student and I'm having trouble explaining relativity in a computer game :downs:

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

If we're all adding each other my name is JoeDan422

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bet you could never guess my Sims 3 name (clearly the same as my forum name.)

Speaking of AwesomeMod, I have it "installed" but I'm unsure if it's actually working since I have it through steam and supposedly it complains about a core file mismatch on Steam when it doesn't do it on Origin. I'm at base version 1.42 so it's probably freaking out about some Steam-specific DLL or the in-game overlay or, hell, I dunno. I've just been telling it to ignore the mismatch and hoping I'm on my merry way. Overwatch has definitely loaded since I have the NRaas menu and cars get cleared out occasionally.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stool Sample posted:

Is there any way to actually survive that (besides having multiple sims on the lot at that time?) The few times that's happened to me, the fireman always get there JUST AFTER the reaper leaves.

Whenever my sims has caught on fire she immediately bolted to the shower and was fine. Maybe there are different stages of burning alive though.

quote:

I thought one my sims many cats would save her, but they just stood there and watched. Jerks. :catstare:

What did you expect them to do? :psyduck:

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

What did you expect them to do? :psyduck:

Lick the fire out with their sandpapery tongues.

I just put a fire alarm above the workbench and have never had a problem with the firemen getting there on time, maybe the person who posted that is playing a really huge CC world where the fire station is super far away?

In addition I think I've only caught fire twice using the workbench and I'm almost inventing 10 so it hasn't been at all unreasonable.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Protocol7 posted:

I bet you could never guess my Sims 3 name (clearly the same as my forum name.)

Speaking of AwesomeMod, I have it "installed" but I'm unsure if it's actually working since I have it through steam and supposedly it complains about a core file mismatch on Steam when it doesn't do it on Origin. I'm at base version 1.42 so it's probably freaking out about some Steam-specific DLL or the in-game overlay or, hell, I dunno. I've just been telling it to ignore the mismatch and hoping I'm on my merry way. Overwatch has definitely loaded since I have the NRaas menu and cars get cleared out occasionally.

Awesome mod does work on Steam. I use it myself. Most of what it does is in the background if you're using NRaas Story Progression. One way to confirm it's running is to type in an Awesomemod specific command, like "money [number]" or "showconfig"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is anybody else getting random freezes? I just bought The Sims 3 and no other expansion packs yesterday, installed the Relativity mod, and played for like 3 hours, and now I'm getting these pauses in the game where things like leaves are still rustling but the Sim's animation is just stopped for 5 seconds every minute. I don't know if it's a hardware problem or something because I was able to play smooth as butter for the first 2 hours, but then it started happening after I had closed the game once and started it up again.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is anybody else getting random freezes? I just bought The Sims 3 and no other expansion packs yesterday, installed the Relativity mod, and played for like 3 hours, and now I'm getting these pauses in the game where things like leaves are still rustling but the Sim's animation is just stopped for 5 seconds every minute. I don't know if it's a hardware problem or something because I was able to play smooth as butter for the first 2 hours, but then it started happening after I had closed the game once and started it up again.

Nraas' Overwatch has gotten rid of this for me entirely.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Protocol7 posted:

I still haven't gotten mine working on Windows 8, and I tried the patch that someone said worked for them.

reposting from my post in the christmas sale thread a week ago -

quote:

It works if you use this 'sims medieval ultimate fix'

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t916-the-sims-medieval-ultimate-fix-should-fix-most-of-your-problems

Was getting so frustrated when I couldn't get Medieval to start and then I finally stumbled on to this and it works.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The vast majority of these problems come from pathing issues. The various NPCs are moving around the neighborhood, and can get stuck. This can happen on poorly designed maps, even those from EA. Install Overwatch and Error Trap to fix some of this. It should warn you when a sim's routing fails. If it's always the same one, then when you have issues, type resetsim Firstname Lastname in the console. If you're not sure, resetsim * resets everyone. But the problem will persist as long as you're using that neighborhood.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Cantorsdust posted:

The vast majority of these problems come from pathing issues. The various NPCs are moving around the neighborhood, and can get stuck. This can happen on poorly designed maps, even those from EA. Install Overwatch and Error Trap to fix some of this. It should warn you when a sim's routing fails. If it's always the same one, then when you have issues, type resetsim Firstname Lastname in the console. If you're not sure, resetsim * resets everyone. But the problem will persist as long as you're using that neighborhood.

I've seen this problem pop up in many discussions, but only since Showtime. Folks often put the blame on neighborhoods with poor pathing, but in some circumstances the neighborhoods in question pre-dated Showtime and didn't have the problem prior. Typical EA though, gently caress up their own game and leave it to the audience to patch out... if installing later paid mods doesn't provide the fix.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Danith posted:

reposting from my post in the christmas sale thread a week ago -

That's the exact fix I used to no avail, and even the exact fix I mentioned.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nah, I've had that (and read about it) way before Showtime came out, I think the first time it hit me was while playing Late Night or Ambitions. They do gently caress up their game often (but nowadays they actually patch stuff for all players, I think in TS2 you only got new executables with expansions) but that particular problem is really old.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Protocol7 posted:

I do believe this fixed my problem. I played for half an hour just now with no freezes. Thanks a lot!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Was there a specific setting you used, because I have overwatch and I'm still getting it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I have Overwatch and get it from time to time. I think I first started having problems around Late Night, although it's hard to be sure.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Was there a specific setting you used, because I have overwatch and I'm still getting it.

Nope, just dragged and dropped it. It'll hiccup for a second when it needs to do something, but I don't have any 10-15 seconds of nothing happening anymore.

I'm also playing on Moonlight Falls, so it's still probably definitely related to neighborhoods, at least a little.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 8, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Same here. I put Overwatch on and it's still doing the weird lag.

tincho
Nov 3, 2012
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch+Interactions
Try setting Stuck Check to Enabled.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Protocol7 posted:

That's the exact fix I used to no avail, and even the exact fix I mentioned.

You let it all patch up and then copied the .exe over right? I don't know why it doesn't work for you :(

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

...late night activities by Bonehilda when no one's looking.

Origin/sims username thing: Stellacyanine

Stellar Curiosity fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 8, 2013

Marmageddon
Feb 13, 2012
So for some reason I stupidly patched my game with the (seemingly-brand new?) 1.47 patch that's out and upon loading everything works fine as I saved when they were on vacation, but as soon as I send them home the game just staight up crashes to desktop. Every time. At first I thought it was an issue with mods being incompatible with the new patch so I removed them and tried again. Nope, just EA's usual fuckery. So now my save is unplayable. Cool patch, EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

It was already set for enable.

• Locked thread