Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Judas Iscaredycat posted:

I'm worried that stuff like that is going to be really common and you'll need to go to great lengths to avoid random crap ruining your plans. NPC/autonomous sim AI is one of the biggest problems in the Sims.

That seems to be the whole emotions system basically. Oh you wanted your Sim to make friends with another Sim? Well something about that Sim makes your Sim angry for some reason, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Did it mess with their relationship meter? When I saw it in that EnglishSimmer video posted a little while back it only changed the conversation type, which I think just affects how likely interactions are to succeed, so it was more like they need to find somewhere private to continue their conversation than "suddenly I hate you."

I laughed pretty hard when I saw it in that video, but that is troubling if it damages existing relationship progress.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Chocolate Milk posted:

That seems to be the whole emotions system basically. Oh you wanted your Sim to make friends with another Sim? Well something about that Sim makes your Sim angry for some reason, so no.

The developers did say they wanted the game to have a more spontaneous element. All the early trailers focused on the story telling idea so I wouldn't be surprised if this was what they were going for.

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Did it mess with their relationship meter? When I saw it in that EnglishSimmer video posted a little while back it only changed the conversation type, which I think just affects how likely interactions are to succeed, so it was more like they need to find somewhere private to continue their conversation than "suddenly I hate you."

I laughed pretty hard when I saw it in that video, but that is troubling if it damages existing relationship progress.

I admit I don't know exactly what was happening. I'm talking about the GameRiot video, starting at about 3:20 or so. It's the first conversation between the two sims, so it just turns the relationship into a non-starter rather than making them hate each other. I'm being perhaps overly negative because of how irritating sim AI can be.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I'd be lying if I said The Sims 4 didn't look fun, even with the stuff removed. I'm still not going to go out and buy it yet, and will still wait until reviews and such come in for it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

To be honest, if The Sims 4 can run for more than 30 minutes without doing this, I'd buy it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
That's not that much RAM for a game with a lot of customizable stuff. Are you really running with only 2 gigabytes of memory?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
All Points Bulletin would frequently hit the 2 GB cap until they released a 64 bit client.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Keiya posted:

That's not that much RAM for a game with a lot of customizable stuff. Are you really running with only 2 gigabytes of memory?

I have 4gb, I'm poor. 1.15gb of ram is actually a ton of ram considering that the game came out in 2006 and I hit at least 1.15 gb of ram from staring at the title screen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

I have 4gb, I'm poor. 1.15gb of ram is actually a ton of ram considering that the game came out in 2006 and I hit at least 1.15 gb of ram from staring at the title screen.

The Sims 3 came out in 2009 I thought?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Elliotw2 posted:

To be honest, if The Sims 4 can run for more than 30 minutes without doing this, I'd buy it.

I mean, I'm no mathematician or anything, but if your used RAM in this picture adds up to 94% you seem to be hovering around 2GB.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean, I'm no mathematician or anything, but if your used RAM in this picture adds up to 94% you seem to be hovering around 2GB.

Might include memory set aside by Windows for cached programs? Such memory is used by Windows but is released on request by another program.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

That's only part of the Task Manager view, it's missing the background and Windows processes that would be below it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guys.

Elliotw2 posted:

Maybe this is a problem.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I don't see how it loading things before it actually needs it is a problem. If it goes up significantly later, that is, but that's not what the indication is.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

:suicide:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

I'd be lying if I said The Sims 4 didn't look fun, even with the stuff removed. I'm still not going to go out and buy it yet, and will still wait until reviews and such come in for it.

It seems to me that the tradeoff for losing all the stuff lost in the cuts is that the stuff that remains is deeper. The increased customization of Create-a-Sim and build mode, the emotions system having like 14 different emotions with new animations and interactions for each one instead of binary good/bad, the multitasking making everything smoother and more natural, two separate relationship bars making interpersonal relations a bit more complex, etc. All the videos do make it look like a pretty fun game as a result. I'll probably watch some streams from day-one purchasers (like Lizard Wizard, if he's still planning on streaming it) for a couple days before I make a decision on whether to purchase it, but after a bout of pessimism before the videos started coming out I think I'm feeling pretty good about it for now.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 23, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Honestly, if it had Create-A-Style, I'd probably be pretty happy with it. Right now, though, I'm wrestling between Sims 2 (I have more stuff for it) and Sims 3 (CASt, and the actual play part is better).

Which reminds me. Wasn't there a castle building set for Sims 2? It's not in the Ultimate Collection...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Keiya posted:

Honestly, if it had Create-A-Style, I'd probably be pretty happy with it. Right now, though, I'm wrestling between Sims 2 (I have more stuff for it) and Sims 3 (CASt, and the actual play part is better).

Which reminds me. Wasn't there a castle building set for Sims 2? It's not in the Ultimate Collection...

The castle set was a Sims 2 store item. They decided to not put in the Sims 2 store items into the ultimate collection.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

two separate relationship bars making interpersonal relations a bit more complex,

Oh god, two relationship bars. Two relationship ladders. Ladder theory comes to the sims. :gonk:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Oh god, two relationship bars. Two relationship ladders. Ladder theory comes to the sims. :gonk:

There's a friendship bar and a romantic bar.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IAmTheRad posted:

There's a friendship bar and a romantic bar.

Yes, that is ladder theory works too. Romance ladder and friendship ladder. Except in ladder theory it is impossible to move from the friendship ladder to the romance ladder, hence the friendzone. Looks like this has you on both at once, so not so bad. Whew.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's a simplified version of real life since you can fill both bars separately. High romance low friendship is a one night stand, high friendship and high romance is marriage potential. It's not some tier thing where you have to pick one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Perhaps they should include a third bar, "just wanna woo-hoo"

edit: vv What I got planned certainly doesn't involve 'romance' :heysexy:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 24, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Perhaps they should include a third bar, "just wanna woo-hoo"

My understanding is that that's exactly what "high romance/low friendship" represents.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what happened over the last 15 pages? are sims in the game or have they taken those out

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

epitasis posted:

what happened over the last 15 pages? are sims in the game or have they taken those out

Taken out in favor of one-way poop agents.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

epitasis posted:

Basically the game is a set of cut-out paper dolls you print out and you roll dice.

But seriously it sounds like about as big a step down as from TS2 to TS3 without a commensurate benefit. On the other hand the Open World was a huge stupid idea that only dumb people like, so taking a step back from that is good in and of itself.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

The castle set was a Sims 2 store item. They decided to not put in the Sims 2 store items into the ultimate collection.

Really? Not very ultimate, hunh?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I really like the open world of Sims 3. I can't be the only one.
I do wish the cars worked more immersively where you actually could park them though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I have zero interest in a sims game without an open world and an appreciable amount of story progression/npc simulation

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vahakyla posted:

I really like the open world of Sims 3. I can't be the only one.
I do wish the cars worked more immersively where you actually could park them though.

I like the 'open world' (ie no loving loading screens) of sims 3 too. It actually feels like a town/city/neighborhood as opposed to islands where other sims occasionally show up at too.

But maybe that's because I don't get experience any of this shitton of slowdown it apparently causes?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

epitasis posted:

I have zero interest in a sims game without an open world and an appreciable amount of story progression/npc simulation

Same here. I could deal with the Sims 4 neighbourhoods if that was the only drawback but the lack of story progression is definitely a deal breaker for me.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Eruonen posted:

Same here. I could deal with the Sims 4 neighbourhoods if that was the only drawback but the lack of story progression is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Don't worry! They will add that in later with an expansion pack! Though that expansion pack will require actual work unlike the ones where they force an intern to make a couple art assets and call it a day. So it might take some time to get released. Oh, and The Sims 4: Storylines will cost $60, but you understand, it's like a whole new game!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

HappyHelmet posted:

Don't worry! They will add that in later with an expansion pack! Though that expansion pack will require actual work unlike the ones where they force an intern to make a couple art assets and call it a day. So it might take some time to get released. Oh, and The Sims 4: Storylines will cost $60, but you understand, it's like a whole new game!

I know you're joking, I doubt they will add that feature in a later update or expansion at all. If it ever gets added, it will be done by modders.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The open world was nice principally because it allowed you to completely ignore your home lot and just bum your way around the city, busking for money and sleeping on park benches. RIP hobo sims.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Launch Trailer.

Aliens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00mK3Pxc8w

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
the CAS demo lets you make sims with blue and green skin. I don't think there's an actual alien life state (or whatever the Sims 4 analog is) but you can make aliens if you want.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

The open world was nice principally because it allowed you to completely ignore your home lot and just bum your way around the city, busking for money and sleeping on park benches. RIP hobo sims.

You can't have hobo sims because there are no trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

There's a stream of The Sims 4 happening right now. Build mode looks pretty good so far.

http://www.twitch.tv/thesims

• Locked thread