Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Scyther posted:

Boy, you missed out, Sims 2 is arguably better than Sims 3.

Is there any good mods for Sims 2? I got all of Sims 2 for free during the Origin goof up in October and been meaning to mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sims 3 was one of the top sellers on the Steam Christmas sale, so all the content are back at 66% again, except Supernatural and Seasons which get 50%.

[edit] Oh, I guess Sims Medieval's long missing expansion got quietly returned to the store for 66%. It's very buggy and tends to sent you back to the store front page, but it's there under Sims Medieval (just refresh to see it).

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 5, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Single Tight Female posted:

If I can get the dang thing to drop into my cart, is it worth buying? I put off getting Medieval on Steam because I thought I'd never get the complete game, then got it as a gift earlier in the sale. Still haven't played very much so I assume I could get some expansion integration fairly easily.

Yeah it added some nice content from what I played of it (I bought it before it was pulled). It took me a few tries to get it to stick in the cart when I was testing to see if it was truly back.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Here is a example of the missing Pirates & Nobles expansion being back. Just keep refreshing until it appears. Also takes a few tries to get it to "add to cart", but after that your good to go.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I bought medieval in for $2 when it first popped up in the sale, and I got a tool tip for Pirates and Nobles that led me to believe that they were packaged together. I still can't see it in the store.

Just keep refreshing and it will appear. There is a store page for it, but it's very buggy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is Showtime or Supernatural worth grabbing before the recap sale ends?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat, I didn't know that Sims Medieval didn't work in Windows 8. Any solution on fixing that or I probably just stuck trying to run it on my aged laptop?

[edit] Nevermind, I was able to fix it by putting a zip found in the Steam community.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 6, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Now that Sims Medieval and the Expansion are working on Window 8, I like to put some mods on it. Does NRAAS have any for Sims Medieval?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

prometheusbound2 posted:

How'd you get it working on Windows 8? I tried running the Steam version yesterday and it was still a no go.

Just put this in your Sims Medieval folder and it should replace the exe and two other files. I have the expansion pack, so I don't know if it's required to use this fix or not.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1qts5z

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TJChap2840 posted:

What is keeping it from working on 8?

No idea. When I was looking on Google about the solution, I guess Sims 3 wasn't working on Window 8 until October. Must be some codec issues or something, as Max Payne 1 doesn't work on Window 8 as well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what trait you need for a homeless Sim to eat out of the trashcan?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Was there a specific setting you used, because I have overwatch and I'm still getting it.

Same here. I put Overwatch on and it's still doing the weird lag.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

It was already set for enable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here hoping they show up on Steam right away and not decide a random month in the year to add it and any other expansion not released yet....who I'm kidding, it's EA.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I downloaded Dresser, but my Sims still wearing their work clothes after leaving the job.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just hope one of these expansions adds back the Open for Business features.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the EA Store, I really hate to give them money beyond the free bitcoins sim dollars, but I noticed the Cow Plant from Sims 2 University got ported to Sims 3. Is he worth getting or it likely they will put him in the new University expansion?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Space Jam posted:

Is it normal for the paparazzi to just barge into your house and start taking photos of you? There's been another one who's been peeping through my windows quite a bit and it's starting to bug the hell out of me. I slapped the poo poo out of the window peeping one but he still sticks around, and I can't tell this woman in my house to leave.

Edit: If i can't keep them away I might just download the stabbing mod and shank all of them.

Even through it a store item, I saw some mods for the Cow Plant where he only eats papazzi. Otherwise stick with finding that knife mod.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

uapyro posted:

So I had a sister die from my witches antics; I eventually worked the witch up to the point where she could resurrect sims. Then de-zombied the sister. But she's not in my active household. What would be the best way to get her back in the home?

You can check the Edit Town option and see if she in a house and evict/move her back into your house. I did that when I moved my family and their siblings to the Sunset Valley 7.0.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to turn off story notification in the World Adventure regions?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kenny Rogers posted:

I've got 5 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and a cat in my (ginormous) house.
The important bits (for me) are:
Active Sim Factor Reduction: 5 - this slows down time by 5% for each sim beyond the first.
Fun Factor: 50 - this makes things like computers and whatnot less interesting than they are by default, so your sims won't waste their lives playing SSX and dancing to the radio.
Set Speed: 17 - I selected this speed based on what someone else in this thread wound up using after some 'cut and try'. My game is running even slower than that because of all the sims in the house.
Switch Speed On Fast: 34 - Right now, with all the extra sims, pets, etc., coupled with the overall slowdown of Set Speed=17, nights, work time and "finish this task" speedups were taking FOREVER. This sets the speed back to normal during Fast Time, so Fast time passes just as fast as an unaltered game. 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep takes ~2 minutes at Ultra Speed, not the five and a half it would take at speed 17 (including all the 5% modifiers for the extra people).

I got this setting and for the most part it works great, but I still see "turn on radio" appear often when the Sim is left at home.

I asked this earlier and was told mods are not really needed, but what are the top mods for Sims 2? Looking at ones that bought over the features Sims 3 has, as I wouldn't mind messing with it again since I miss some of the features it has).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Actually in Sims 2 how do you get the custom hair to work. I put them in the folder in my documents, but in-game all the hair get replaced by the ugly generic black hair. And yes the custom content option is enabled.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

primelaw posted:

Certain hairs have meshes that they need in order to work. It's basically the "base" file for the hair. You may or may not have to go to some awful website to download the mesh for the hair you are using. If you're using Modthesims for your sims stuff, I know that most modders would include the link to the file or integrate it into their file.

I finally managed to get one of the hairs to work by finding it in the Bodyshop and just duplicating it as a project of mine own.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Weird request, but is there a remake of the old Newbie house from the original Sims for Sims 3? I saw a bunch of remakes of the original Sims houses on Mod the Sims, but nothing for the starting family.

[edit] Getting a really annoying bug in Sims 3 all of sudden. My Sim and her baby daughter keep getting teleported in the middle of the yard everytime I try putting her in the crib. They were working fine earlier, but when I had to change her just now the game randomly decided the baby belongs out in the grass. I sold the crib and bought a new one in another spot in the house, yet it still happening.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 20, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kenny Rogers posted:

It's a bug, and it's poo poo. There's only one fix for it.
Go into Edit Town.
Evict the family, saving the house in the process.
Start a new game, same town.
Move your family into the same house, same lot. (You may or may not need to scrape the existing house off the lot to do so.)
Pretend you're living in The Twilight Zone, where everything, and everyone has been replaced by an exact copy...

Fortunately, I've only been hit by this "Can't Sleep" but once.

It managed to fix itself when I started it up today (doing it one last time before hand). Possible it might been the imaginary friend causing it, as it teleported into the crib the moment it was fixed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow the 70s, 80s, and 90s DLC DID come to Steam and it caused the base game and expansions to get a midweek madness deal. Guess I'm buying Showtime finally (and maybe High End Loft Stuff since a lot of mods require it for some reason).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know the stuff pack are useless for the most part and it's better to visit Mod the Sims, but are any worth grabbing while on sale? I like the idea of the new lots from Town Stuff and I seen mods that required Outdoor Life and High End Loft Stuff, so are they needed or just skip them all?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Stellar Curiosity posted:

Is it the 24th yet? I want to rock out in 80's stuff.

Maybe that why the store page for 80s stuff on Steam isn't up yet.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

IAmTheRad posted:

Most mods should still theoretically work with 1.48. It mostly depends on what EA changed from 1.47 to 1.48. However, ErrorTrap if you use it will NOT work with 1.48. Core mods won't work on different versions of the game. Scripting mods which most mods are might work, but it's not guaranteed.

Is that why ever five minutes the Goths keep getting stuck according to Error Trap?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That a weird bug I hit in Sims 3. Somehow my character is friends with...her car. It happened after she tried to take a subway to her detective case and error trap kicked in when she got stuck.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guess my Sim won't get a imaginary friend, because I tried to place the doll on the floor of her room and it just vanished from the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there anything special I need to put down to get the seasonal stuff like the haunted house and hot chocolate store to appear from the Seasons expansion?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So if a Sim keeps getting error trap, what do I do to fix them? I keep seeing the Goths pop up on it every five minutes in-game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DaisyDanger posted:

What exactly is supposed to happen on a full moon? I have had a few zombies spawn on my lot, but they literally stand there until they get caught by ErrorTrap despawns them a few hours later.

Pretty much zombies roam town attacking people and trying to attack your plants. During the last one it looked like Gus Hart got attacked and turned into a zombie (he was green and everything), but he was perfectly fine when I had to talk to him for a quest.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Asciana posted:

Is there any way to buy the expansion and stuff packs from Steam without having the base game? Steam keeps moaning at me. I just want to grab a few items I no longer have and register them over on Origin.

According to the Amazon thread they matched the price from the Steam sale. So you can just grab them there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Internet Kraken posted:

I love how when an alien shows up your Sims don't even seem that surprised by it. They just do relatively normal things with the alien, like playing tag and having water balloon fights at 2 am.

Even more bizarre is the first one who did that in my game after a WooHoo switched to farmer overalls and now appears like that anytime he appears. Including just wandering around town. You figure people would make a big deal about a alien dressed as a farmer?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Deki posted:

Well that sucks, I got a steam update that the sims expansions were on sale, and by the time I clicked it and went to the storefront the sale ended.

Also is it bad that I kind of want the 70s-90s bundle?

Look around on the Steam forum, there always people picking up extras to resell.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I just got done redesigning the house, adding new objects, but after a hour doing this I went to save...and the game crashed. :fuckoff: EA.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to edit a household without switching families (and losing progress with the family you were using)? I been wondering why every five minutes the Goths would get error trap messages, so I had my Sim visit their house. It's a landmine of bad pathfnding, with my character constantly doing the error wave when trying to visit them. And inside their house is no better. Rather not get rid of them when Gunther is about to die from old age and Cornelia got kicked out or died. Maybe I just evict them and place them in a replica of their old Sims 1 house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, the potions you can buy from the alchemy shop is just cruel sometimes. Throwing bees at people or permanently changing a paparazzi into a mummy just feels so mean.

That said, after upgrading my Sim to be able to cast spells without a wane, I kinda want to be able to shoot bees out of her hand, Bioshock style.

• Locked thread