Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«373 »
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

It's a new year with a new batch of awful awfulness and delightful awfulness. But before we look to the future, we must respect the past and go over the amazeballs bombs of 2012!

Where would we be if the world didn't have The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure? Probably with plenty of lunar colonies. Even though Oogieloves came out in August, it retroactively set mankind back decades. The brainchild of a marketing genius who decided to give the world a movie where 1 year olds could interact with the screen while their parents paid attention to their iPhones, the concept failed to catch on as any child older than 3 instantly got bored, and all children younger got bored after 30 minutes or so. It flopped hard, making just $445,000 in its opening weekend. Oogieloves beat out Delgo as the record setting worst box office performance for a film opening in over 2000 theaters. Oogieloves finished with just over $1 million gross, costing $20 million and spending $40 on marketing.

2012 saw the unfortunate trend of more right wing documentary propaganda at the theater, with 2016: Obama's America tearing up the box office and a plethora of bandwagon documentaries and awful 1/3rd novel adaptations following in the footsteps: Occupy Unmasked, Atlas Shrugged Part 2, Hating Breitbart, and Runaway Slave. For more information on this phenomenon, I wrote up all the horrible details

Reprehensible garbage Won't Back Down was pure anti-teacher union propaganda from Walden Media and Philip Anschutz, and thankfully crashed and burned. It had the worst opening for a film released at 2,500+ theaters with $2.6 million, and barely made double that by the end of its run.

Nickelodeon's odd tween flick Fun Size became a trick and not a treat when it crashed at the box office, the third worst opening for a film with 3000+ theaters in history. The $4.1 million is still shockingly high for a film that couldn't deicde if it was a kids movie or an adults movie.

Chasing Mavericks is another 2012 flick with a terrible opening. I knew it would bomb from the increasingly desperate invites to free screenings I was getting. It finished 11th worst for 2000+ theaters, with $2.6 million. Gerald Butler almost died making this film. Just think about what his legacy would have been.

Now let's go to the lowest of the lows. The Ghastly Love of Johnny X earned just $117 during it's one week run, making it the lowest grossing movie of the year. Of course, the press declared Playback starring Christian Slater the lowest grossing film of the year, but it make a whole $264. But The Ghastly Love of Johnny X has no former big names to rag on in the press, and spending ten seconds checking facts is hard, so the Playback story got copy/pasted on movies sites throughout the web. Thanks for showing just why web movie reporting is awful, guys!

What about John Carter? That legendary bomb that cost Disney $200 million still made a respectable $73 million in the US and $209 million more worldwide, which in any other world would be a hit. Think about how much money it would have made had it been advertised at all and still called John Carter of Mars (dammit!)

The TV movie homefront saw Home Alone 5 (with goon-made wrapping paper!) and Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor in Lifetime's Liz & Dick.

Probably the worst thing that appeared in 2012 was the animation abomination Foodfight!, which got a European DVD release and soon was on YouTube giving Americans an aversion to food. After 11 years (and a do-over after a hero stole the original film!) the best they could come up with was one of the worst things ever made.

Will 2013 continue 2012's proud tradition of shattering records? We shall see...we shall see..

UPCOMING 2013 FUN:

Beautiful Creatures - This Twilight ripoff has all the makings of a future classic RiffTrax. That's literally everything going for it, unless you're into Jeremy Irons chewing scenery. Which I will admit is entertaining. But not at current movie prices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9rjhB7KWEc

Left Behind remake - Nicolas Cage being attached to this remake is the only reason anyone cares about it. Will Cage get another bomb on his hands, or with the Christian movie public come out in droves to watch this? And just what the gently caress is wrong with Kirk Cameron? It is anyone's guess.

Haunted House - Marlon Wayans, Essence Atkins, and Cedric the Entertainer do a spoof on all those found footage flicks. No Wayans film has ever been bad, so this is a certifiable hit!

Scary Movie 5 - If you thought this franchise would die despite everyone connected to it not wanting anything to do with it. The trailer is desperately trying to show off every possible guest star as the producers race to fatten their wallets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDZ8M47j0I

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters - This has been delayed so long, jokes about Nick Fury showing up during the end credits were fresh!

21 and Over - Yes, let's do The Hangover except with young college kids! Only notable because one of the leads is an Asian dude.

Jack the Giant Slayer - This action spectacle could go in any direction on being good or terrible. In any event, we will be watching...

Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor - Included because Tyler Perry films always lead to 4 page discussions, and Kim Kardashian is in this.

World War Z - I stand by my statement that this will be terrible and offer nothing new to the tired zombie formula. Please shoot this film in the head.

The Maybes:
GI Joe 2 - This film was all set to go and then was mysteriously pulled at the last minute for "3D conversions"...which may involve heavy reshoots. Or something. And it was after all the toys got released to rot in the toy aisle. So confusing who knows what the real deal is, though I liked the original trailer..

Movie 43 - Either this will be an awesome Kentucky Fried Movie/Amazon Women on the Moon type skit movie, or it will be a The Underground Comedy Movie type skit movie. And nobody wants that.

Did I miss anything? What are you expecting when you are expecting? Will Oogieloves 2: The Birth of Hate be the surprise hit of 2013. You, the box office audience, will decide!

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at Jan 2, 2013 around 07:27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Movie 43 looks like a pile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VneW1vtcWY

It looks like a bunch of lovely "edgy" and "controversial" jokes. Apparently it was shot in 2010. That bodes well for a 2013 release date.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don't fuckle with Shuckle(s)

Like that other Shuckle, but different.

The world needs another Kentucky Fried Movie and I'm hoping Movie 43 is it. It's been on production forever now since they basically only get to film bits here and there as the actors become available.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

I honestly thought that they had already done Scary Movie 5. Turns out I confused it with Epic Movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

9CL BRONY SPOTTED

I thought for a while that A Haunted House was supposed to be Scary Movie 5, or was that one of the canceled spoof movies?. I think someone in CD said that the two best Scary Movies were the first one and Scary Movie 3. Is that right?

Let us also remember 2012 for the year Battleship and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter actually turning out to be good movies.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

The best scary movie is Scream 1.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

And don't forget we're also supposedly getting not one but TWO movies from the comedy geniuses Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The MSJ posted:

I thought for a while that A Haunted House was supposed to be Scary Movie 5, or was that one of the canceled spoof movies?. I think someone in CD said that the two best Scary Movies were the first one and Scary Movie 3. Is that right?

When the Scary Movies first get announced, the ideas generally have no relevance to what the end result movie is. IIRC Scary Movie 3 was supposed to be about Harry Potter films.

The worst part of Django was trailers for both spoof movies right after each other.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And don't forget we're also supposedly getting not one but TWO movies from the comedy geniuses Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer.

Did their Avatar spoof get canned?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

It was still listed as "seeking funding" at the AFM this year, their Hunger Games one filmed late 2012 and may still be filming pickups.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I thought for a while that A Haunted House was supposed to be Scary Movie 5, or was that one of the canceled spoof movies?. I think someone in CD said that the two best Scary Movies were the first one and Scary Movie 3.

Scary Movie 3 was the last passable spoof movie David Zucker did before going completely insane.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Movie 43 looks like a pile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VneW1vtcWY

It looks like a bunch of lovely "edgy" and "controversial" jokes. Apparently it was shot in 2010. That bodes well for a 2013 release date.

I'll be honest, the home schooled part made me laugh.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Goony for Goomy

Don't forget about Dark Skies, which I think is supposed to be a comedy. Not sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8iLp1xQtPQ
First line of dialog in the trailer: "... an epic game of Modern Warfare." "That's what save buttons are for, pal!" I mean like, come on. Seriously?

Saw this in front of Django Unchained and the entire audience was cracking up.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor has to be the contender for most unwieldy film title ever. You could take out any part of it and make it more reasonable; for example Tyler Perry's Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, or even Tyler Perry's Temptation, but having a large name like that is just a bit absurd.

It's the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance of comedy films.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

GonSmithe posted:

Don't forget about Dark Skies, which I think is supposed to be a comedy. Not sure.
First line of dialog in the trailer: "... an epic game of Modern Warfare." "That's what save buttons are for, pal!" I mean like, come on. Seriously?

The trailer owns, and is hilarious. But the movie could just end up being a boring slog. Either way, it probably won't be a good horror movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

9CL BRONY SPOTTED

Is that Tyler Perry movie the one that annoyed his fanbase because Kim Kardashian is in it?

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

The Strangest Vengeance Ever Planned

GonSmithe posted:

The birds dogpiling the window killed me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Everyone talks about how awesome Achilles is, but did he ever made the god of war his bitch?

Sadly Diomedesforever6 just doesn't ring as well as Achillesforever6

The MSJ posted:

Let us also remember 2012 for the year Battleship and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter actually turning out to be good movies.
Scary Movie 2 had Tim Curry and David Cross in it, though unfortunately they didn't give Curry much to do in it

What was the movie that Christian Slater was in that made literally below 300 bucks? It was some cheap horror movie iirc.

E:

GonSmithe posted:

Saw this too and couldn't look at the end of it because greys scare the poo poo out of me for some reason. The woman banging on her head against the window was great along with the dad's face.

My audience also laughed at the Scary Movie 5 and The Haunted House trailers

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at Jan 2, 2013 around 02:16

zVxTeflon
Jul 18, 2004

"The apocalyptic scenario in Beverly Hills Chihuahua is what happens if AirBud goes too far"

Tyler Perry's: Does it Even Matter at This Point?

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

Also I need to know how Movie 43 got made, given that it has a good number of actors who are way better than the material.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello New Thread.

I know it get asked all the time, but I have to know: more than who greenlighted these scary movies and haunted quick cash-grabs, who keeps watching them?!

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

The Bananana posted:

Hello New Thread.

I know it get asked all the time, but I have to know: more than who greenlighted these scary movies and haunted quick cash-grabs, who keeps watching them?!

My guess would be 12-16 year olds.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

I laughed out loud at the guy with his mouth gaping open, and the musical sting trying to make it out like something unbelievable. And I hate it when movies and books show kids being unfazed by paranormal phenomena. If an alien had come in my room when I was a kid, I would've been screaming my head off.

Here's the trailer for Escape from Planet Earth. It looks like a forgettable animated movie from Dreamworks or Fox, but in a surprise twist, it's the first theatrical movie from Rainmaker (formerly Mainframe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NhAUsyslk

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

GonSmithe posted:

It's like a montage of things that are more funny than scary being treated like they're really scary.

In general this looks like the most low effort horror movie I've ever seen.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Two personal bests...

Tars Tarkas posted:

[...]Oogieloves came out in August[...]
You may want to add to the OP that this movie came out five months ago, and absolutely no announcement has been made regarding a home video release. Probably because it was self-distributed, since every studio said 'no' to distribution rights even though the film was completed.

Tars Tarkas posted:

World War Z - I stand by my statement that this will be terrible and offer nothing new to the tired zombie formula. Please shoot this film in the head.
This may go down as the biggest flop of 2013, and could set Paramount back by quite a lot. Paramount is hurting from losing the distribution rights to not only Dreamworks (which includes their animation division), but also Marvel, and this is their second-biggest movie of the year behind "Star Trek Into Darkness". Even before it began shooting it was plagued with problems. Marc Forster, the film's director, didn't decide until mere weeks before production began how the zombies in his zombie movie (which is heavily dependent on elaborate make-up and digital effects) were supposed to look. Also, a preview screening apparently went so badly that the film was delayed from Christmas 2012 to summer of this year so that a whopping seven weeks of reshoots could be done to replace essentially the entire third act. All in all its costing well over $200 million and is shaping up to be a "John Carter"-sized disaster, albeit one that can do damage to its studio.

Tars, you might also want to mention "GI Joe 2", which was abruptly delayed from a summer 2012 release to March 2013 because of 'reshoots' and 'converting to 3D because, uh, Russia likes 3D, yeah, that's it'. What this actually meant was "Oh gently caress, this is a Hasbro property and 'Battleship' just poo poo the bed, so we need to distance ourselves from it."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?

I dunno, I could easily see WWZ making about 300-400 million at the box office (worldwide). People love disaster films and they also love zombies. It doesn't matter if the acting (or the dialogue) is up to snuff. Films like The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 were, by all means, TERRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE films, but look how much cash they raked in.

Brad Pitt is a big name, and the movie looks to have absurd special effects. Plus, it's coming out during the summer blockbuster season. It's probably not going to break into the billion dollar range, but i'm sure it'll be successful. The new Superman movie is gonna siphon a hell of a lot of money away from it, though, since WWZ comes out a week later and they'll compete against one another.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

You have my permission to
STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Action Jacktion posted:

Here's the trailer for Escape from Planet Earth. It looks like a forgettable animated movie from Dreamworks or Fox, but in a surprise twist, it's the first theatrical movie from Rainmaker (formerly Mainframe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NhAUsyslk

When I went to see The Hobbit on Sunday, this was one of 3 movies in a row advertised before it started that all had a similar plot. First was Oblivion, then After Earth, then this. I thought it was pretty funny. They all come out like 2 months apart from each other, too.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

I noticed the same.

Why does that happen? Is it a case of the powers that be getting the same public vibe at once? Do studios try and cheat off one another? Coincidence?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

Maury deals with real people with real problems. He helps try to solve mysteries of guests who have no where else to turn to get answers.

I'm just mad because WWZ has nothing to do with the book it's based on. Like, more then usual at least.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

You have my permission to
STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

The MSJ posted:

I thought for a while that A Haunted House was supposed to be Scary Movie 5, or was that one of the canceled spoof movies?

I just saw a TV spot for A Haunted House and now I'm wondering the same thing. I've seen the trailers for both movies at some point or another, but I thought the jokes in A Haunted House were those of Scary Movie 5? Now I have no idea what the hell Scary Movie 5 is about.

Not that I really care

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Is there not a thread for World War Z? I would think that it is high profile enough to get one. Unless I just can't find it.

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

prahanormal posted:

I'm just mad because WWZ has nothing to do with the book it's based on. Like, more then usual at least.

World War Z is a series of short stories baked into fictitious historical nonfiction. It's great reading, but it's largely unfilmable, especially the poo poo with the blind Japanese swordsman. Which leaves one asking what exactly is getting filmed. It might be good of its own accord, but it doesn't look remarkably so.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Im looking forward to seeing everyone involved in the Enders Game movie try to distance themselves from OSC when he says something horrible.

Maybe someone could get him to write an insane essay defending the new Tyler Perry film (OSCs a fan), he's done it before: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/...007-10-21.shtml

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Robert Denby posted:

Tars, you might also want to mention "GI Joe 2", which was abruptly delayed from a summer 2012 release to March 2013 because of 'reshoots' and 'converting to 3D because, uh, Russia likes 3D, yeah, that's it'. What this actually meant was "Oh gently caress, this is a Hasbro property and 'Battleship' just poo poo the bed, so we need to distance ourselves from it."

From what I heard, one other large reason is that originally, Channing Tatum was supposed to just be a cameo in the beginning before he gets killed. However, a combination of a) test audiences liking The Rock and Tatum's chemistry in those few scenes and b) 2012 being a knockout year for Tatum's star presence means they're shooting more stuff with him so he lives and does more things in the movie. We'll see how that turns out, I suppose.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Robert Denby posted:

This may go down as the biggest flop of 2013, and could set Paramount back by quite a lot. Paramount is hurting from losing the distribution rights to not only Dreamworks (which includes their animation division), but also Marvel, and this is their second-biggest movie of the year behind "Star Trek Into Darkness". Even before it began shooting it was plagued with problems. Marc Forster, the film's director, didn't decide until mere weeks before production began how the zombies in his zombie movie (which is heavily dependent on elaborate make-up and digital effects) were supposed to look. Also, a preview screening apparently went so badly that the film was delayed from Christmas 2012 to summer of this year so that a whopping seven weeks of reshoots could be done to replace essentially the entire third act. All in all its costing well over $200 million and is shaping up to be a "John Carter"-sized disaster, albeit one that can do damage to its studio.
I can't think of anything that's coming out in 2013 that is a potential bigger bomb unless one of those after Earth movies is terrible. But they all look okay.

quote:

I thought about including that one and was unsure, because no one seems to know exactly what is going on with it. But I'll add it and Movie 43 as "maybes".

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

Hewlett posted:

From what I heard, one other large reason is that originally, Channing Tatum was supposed to just be a cameo in the beginning before he gets killed. However, a combination of a) test audiences liking The Rock and Tatum's chemistry in those few scenes and b) 2012 being a knockout year for Tatum's star presence means they're shooting more stuff with him so he lives and does more things in the movie. We'll see how that turns out, I suppose.

G.I. Joe 2 is going to be an even hotter mess than the first one, since almost none of the first's principals have come back. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's star power has risen far beyond G.I. Joe level and there was a lot of the director talking out of both sides of his mouth about whether this was a reboot or a sequel. I say this as a person who enjoyed G.I. Joe for what it was.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

They say I'm a madman...
But I'm not mad
at anybody

Honest, I'm not.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's great reading, but it's largely unfilmable

I really wish people would stop saying this.

Yes, there's a bunch of retarded poo poo in the book but the first two drafts of World War Z leaked out years ago and, guess what?, it's actually a surprisingly good (albeit slow paced) script considering the source. That's the great thing about an adaptation. The writer doesn't have to include everything and can rearrange stuff to create a better narrative.

The producers dropped the ball by wanting to make it real time and more action based and more like the Bourne series but it could have been good. It wasn't a foregone conclusion that it was going to be hot garbage.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at Jan 2, 2013 around 09:06

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

High Warlord Zog posted:

Im looking forward to seeing everyone involved in the Enders Game movie try to distance themselves from OSC when he says something horrible.
Hopefully Ender's Game will be good and the internet won't find reasons to pile hate onto it because OSC turned into a basketcase. If you ignore his wackadoo ideas it's a perfectly good YA sci-fi story. But I don't have high hopes. Thankfully I'm no longer 15 and it won't ruin my life if the movie is a pile of poo poo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gonz posted:

they also love zombies. It doesn't matter if the acting (or the dialogue) is up to snuff.

The success of The Walking Dead is a pretty prominent example of this. I could see World War Z doing decently. Still looks like poo poo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InVitro
Dec 23, 2008

I, Gary, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia, command you! Find me a child that I might live again!

Gonz posted:

I dunno, I could easily see WWZ making about 300-400 million at the box office (worldwide). People love disaster films and they also love zombies. It doesn't matter if the acting (or the dialogue) is up to snuff. Films like The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 were, by all means, TERRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE films, but look how much cash they raked in.

Brad Pitt is a big name, and the movie looks to have absurd special effects. Plus, it's coming out during the summer blockbuster season. It's probably not going to break into the billion dollar range, but i'm sure it'll be successful. The new Superman movie is gonna siphon a hell of a lot of money away from it, though, since WWZ comes out a week later and they'll compete against one another.

Yeah, gonna have to agree.
I can see how the movie might have problems, and a troubled production history, but to the regular movie-going public its a big blockbuster disaster movie starring Brad Pitt with zombies.
That should at least be enough for it to break even without too many problems.
Most of the people I know who are "Regular Joe-Public Movie Goers" lose their poo poo over the trailer, and are planning to be butts-in-seats on day one.

(Still pissed that the drat thing doesnt have Jack poo poo to do with the book though.)

«373 »