Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trogdos! posted:

A country in my sphere can be sphered by another nation if they get to meddle with them enough, right?

Yes. Specifically they need to get them to Friendly (2 shots of 50 influence) and then Remove from Sphere (100 influence) ... and then they can put them into their own sphere for another 100 influence.

I think the sidebar should tell you if someone else is trying to nab your spherelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Westminster System posted:

The EU4 conversion is located in the CK2 documents folders somewhere if I remember correctly. Don't ask me why or how it works.

Found it. Thanks.

So is there like a pdox modding 101 sort of thing kicking around?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Trogdos! posted:

A country in my sphere can be sphered by another nation if they get to meddle with them enough, right? I started playing with Prussia to get more involved in crises but there's like ten billion small nations that Austria would seem to like to sphere and the thing is that Austria is a machine while I am only human :( Do I have to carefully watch the sphere bar all the time and discredit/ban embassies everywhere? I need tips with managing spherelings.

You're playing Prussia, so you need to get Hannover, Schleswig-Holstein and Saxony (and you might as well get Luxembourg, while you're at it), then you can form the NGF and not have to worry about a zillion German minors. Justify a war against Denmark to conquer S-H, then another against Austria to add Saxony to your sphere (you could probably use an ally, Russia or France are both good choices - also, grab Bohemia if you got lucky and have low enough infamy that you can get away with it) and pump all your influence into Hannover (it starts out as a British satellite/sphereling, but that ends by event in 1838). Once you've done that lot, the NGF decision will make your life so much less of a pain in the arse. Austria shouldn't manage to thieve any of your spherelings before you eat them, because the AI is stupid and tries to add influence to a load of countries at once.

When you don't have a decision to annex your spherelings, yeah, you gotta pay more attention. If another Great Power is trying to influence one of your spherelings, their flag shows up next to that sphereling's name in the sidebar. Mouse over it to see what their influence and relations level are - if they're Friendly and above 90 or so, ban their embassy, otherwise ignore it.

the JJ posted:

Found it. Thanks.

So is there like a pdox modding 101 sort of thing kicking around?

Here ya go.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

You're playing Prussia, so you need to get Hannover, Schleswig-Holstein and Saxony (and you might as well get Luxembourg, while you're at it), then you can form the NGF and not have to worry about a zillion German minors. Justify a war against Denmark to conquer S-H, then another against Austria to add Saxony to your sphere (you could probably use an ally, Russia or France are both good choices - also, grab Bohemia if you got lucky and have low enough infamy that you can get away with it) and pump all your influence into Hannover (it starts out as a British satellite/sphereling, but that ends by event in 1838). Once you've done that lot, the NGF decision will make your life so much less of a pain in the arse. Austria shouldn't manage to thieve any of your spherelings before you eat them, because the AI is stupid and tries to add influence to a load of countries at once.

When you don't have a decision to annex your spherelings, yeah, you gotta pay more attention. If another Great Power is trying to influence one of your spherelings, their flag shows up next to that sphereling's name in the sidebar. Mouse over it to see what their influence and relations level are - if they're Friendly and above 90 or so, ban their embassy, otherwise ignore it.

Here ya go.

Thanks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is there like a "Kersch's Tutorial LP" for HOI3? This game is just so ... different from all the other PDS games that my intuitions are just failing me. :(

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
2 Questions:

1) Has anyone had a bug with Arsenal of Democracy where the scenario list was not showing up? I just moved to a new place and my flat-mate plays HOI2 as well and I told him about AoD. It took us 15-20 minutes to get the game to work just to start up at the right resolution because he has a 30 or 40 inch screen. Once we got that going we went in game and I noticed he could not see the scenario list after clicking single player (very odd??). I decided to host and once we got in game and he wasn't able to see ANY tech trees.

Everything else in the game works but scenarios and tech teams are just not visible, the area is just blank. Very very odd and I haven't been able to find anything on GOogle about it, any bright ideas?

2) If I play Victoria 2 over a LAN, will there be less desyncs?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 19, 2014

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I started a new game as the Papal States and I've somehow managed to achieve great power status. However, I've hit this point where I can't swipe Tuscany, Modena, or Parma because they're in the sphere of either Austria or France. I can get my opinion in those countries up to friendly, but after that the other great powers will ban my embassies. I appear to be the only great power interested in swiping spherelings from either of these countries, so I think they're devoting all of their influence towards negating mine. Short of going to war, is there anything I can do to stop this dumb cycle of having my embassies banned, or am I pretty much screwed in this regard?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Spakstik posted:

I started a new game as the Papal States and I've somehow managed to achieve great power status. However, I've hit this point where I can't swipe Tuscany, Modena, or Parma because they're in the sphere of either Austria or France. I can get my opinion in those countries up to friendly, but after that the other great powers will ban my embassies. I appear to be the only great power interested in swiping spherelings from either of these countries, so I think they're devoting all of their influence towards negating mine. Short of going to war, is there anything I can do to stop this dumb cycle of having my embassies banned, or am I pretty much screwed in this regard?

You're pretty screwed. The way the system works, if you're down to your last few spherelings, or if people are only contesting a small number of your spherelings, you can basically hold on to them indefinitely. Short of a diplomatic realignment / fall from GP status, you're not going to get the last few bits without a war.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, start aligning yourself with Britain or Prussia if you want to counter France and Austria. Then strike while they're busy with another war.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pakled posted:

Yeah, start aligning yourself with Britain or Prussia if you want to counter France and Austria. Then strike while they're busy with another war.

Fixed that for you. Britain's AI is incredibly dumb, and will do stuff like let England get overrun by enemy troops while it has total naval superiority. You need a strong ally on the continent itself.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

2 Questions:

1) Has anyone had a bug with Arsenal of Democracy where the scenario list was not showing up? I just moved to a new place and my flat-mate plays HOI2 as well and I told him about AoD. It took us 15-20 minutes to get the game to work just to start up at the right resolution because he has a 30 or 40 inch screen. Once we got that going we went in game and I noticed he could not see the scenario list after clicking single player (very odd??). I decided to host and once we got in game and he wasn't able to see ANY tech trees.

Everything else in the game works but scenarios and tech teams are just not visible, the area is just blank. Very very odd and I haven't been able to find anything on GOogle about it, any bright ideas?

That sounds like the game cannot find the files with the scenario and tech data. Try a clean reinstall and see if that helps. Or is this a fresh install already, not just a copy of the game files from your old machine?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Spakstik posted:

You can kinda trick the AI into discrediting you instead of banning your embassies. You need to pump as much influence points into a nation until the sphere leader reaches 25 points, then stop for about a week. Once you resume your influencing, the AI will use discredit, which is good because you still have your points. You can now wait a year for the malus to disappear (use this time to influence some other nation) and then repeat. Never allow them to get more that 50 points because they sometimes also use expel advisors.

It's a bit micromanagement heavy, but so is everything else in Victoria :)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Beat the poo poo out of austria until they're no longer a great power. PROBLEM SOLVED

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Holy poo poo. China westernizing in NNM leads to insane immigration. My Brazil is now like 5% Chinese. In like 3 years.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 19, 2014

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

You'll probably have to fight Austria at some point anyway given all the Italian cores it holds, so....

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Gorelab posted:

Holy poo poo. China westernizing in NNM leads to insane immigration. My Brazil is now like 5% Chinese. In like 3 years.

Haha, that sounds like some kind of right wing nightmare situation.

:supaburn: CHINA IS INVADING AND TAKING OUR JOBS!

DrSunshine posted:

Is there like a "Kersch's Tutorial LP" for HOI3? This game is just so ... different from all the other PDS games that my intuitions are just failing me. :(

I used this AAR way back when I was learning, I don't know how up to date it is with the new expansion and patches, but IIRC everything but espionage and combined arms should be more or less the same. Just highlight the text or change the background, because green on grey isn't the easiest thing to read.

Also, ignore all of your intuitions. I have put more hours into HoI3 than any other Paradox game and it is one of their least intuitive games they've put out, especially compared to the other games on the Clausewitz engine.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Vernii posted:

You'll probably have to fight Austria at some point anyway given all the Italian cores it holds, so....

Especially for South Tirol

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BBJoey posted:

That is why you attack across the entire front, comrade! :ussr:

That's usually what I end up doing, it's strangely satisfying to push the enemy back in one province which leads to a chain reaction of attacks across the entire front.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Of course, this assumes that you have enough divisions to form at least a one-division cordon around however large a pocket you want to form.

Yeah the entire philosophy of Blitzkrieg is local superiority in numbers, right? I'm just always too scared to leave other provinces less defended :ohdear:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrSunshine posted:

I... I have no idea what I am doing in HOI3. I started the Germany 1939 scenario with what I presumed to be an easy win against Poland. So I do what I've learned from playing CK2, V2, and EUIV -- I get all these stacks of squares and move them into Poland's territory. Things seem to be going... okay? I'm winning battles, apparently. If I have more squares in the stack, I win, right? But a week or two into the game and all of a sudden I'm losing territory and I haven't gained an inch? What? Why? :psyduck:

Post pictures.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I actually figured it out. The provinces that had the grey/red stripes were actually Polish provinces that I had taken over, rather than German provinces I'd lost.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

I actually figured it out. The provinces that had the grey/red stripes were actually Polish provinces that I had taken over, rather than German provinces I'd lost.

The relief at Supreme HQ was palpable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Your mod appears to work fine Enjoy. I'm trying to incorporate it into HIP, since they don't work when apart, but where is the stuff I need to copy over from the on_actions folder?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah I never got why they turned around the occupied province coloration in HoI3, poo poo's silly.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Vernii posted:

I thought it'd be funnier to have the Pope becoming a world power, so I wasn't actually trying to create Italy (I'd conquered most of the Middle East and Africa at this point and was out of easy targets). Creating Italy, however, turned out to the be the solution to my problem. Tuscany, Parma, Modena, and Sardinia-Piedmont formed Italy thanks to some rebels, and neither Austria nor France felt much like bringing it into their spheres of influence.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Loomer posted:

Agreed. And with the CK2 startdate being pushed earlier and earlier, maybe we can even get it so we can get Rome 2, a Collapse of Empire DLC, and go from Rome to the modern day. And if they then do as CK2 has... Go from antiquity in Mesopotamia!
Who needs the Civilization franchise anymore when you can do a Paradox Grand Campaign starting in 4000BC!? A pre-Rome game would probably need to be made for proper functionality back that far: Cradle of Civilization, Rome, CK, EU, Victoria, HoI, and maybe even something post-HoI (Victoria for the modern/information age). :fap:

Also think of how glorious the Grand Campaign spanning such a period would be with every game designed around having file conversion in mind so it could keep track of the ton of cultural/ethnic/religious/nationality/knowledge nuances of regions/provinces that pile up over the centuries that makes for a truly unique and messed up world like our own. By the time you got to POPs in Victoria, the Balkans (or other places) could be more messed up than in the real world if it went back-and-forth even more over the course of your campaign. :allears:

Friend Commuter posted:

Justify a war against Denmark to conquer S-H, then another against Austria to add Saxony to your sphere (you could probably use an ally, Russia or France are both good choices - also, grab Bohemia if you got lucky and have low enough infamy that you can get away with it) and pump all your influence into Hannover (it starts out as a British satellite/sphereling, but that ends by event in 1838).
Isn't there an Assert Hegemony CB against Austria by default that wipes German states from their sphere?

Also, that 1838 event either isn't guaranteed or PDM tampers with it. In my recent PDM Prussia -> NGF -> Germany game, the Brits didn't lose Hanover as a satellite until the late 1850's (hugely inconvenient since screw building a navy as Germany before Ironclads). Good thing France wanted to fight which still made Germany a reality by the early 1860's.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Really, the last thirty years of Victoria 2 should work like this, but cramming two totally different movement systems into a single game would be stupid.

Speed up the rates at which provinces are sieged to be nearly instantaneous?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Friend Commuter posted:

Here ya go.

Sphering Saxony without war is usually quite a bit quicker. Also, if you don't particularly care about Schleswig-Holstein, you can just sphere Denmark.

Also, you should probably sphere Luxembourg before you click the Form NGF button, as you'd get them as well.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Spakstik posted:

It's not impossible. I did it in a Two Sicilies game. It's not easy, and it takes a lot of patience and waiting for opportunities to present themselves. And also a lot of luck - I think Austria got pounded really hard by Prussia in that game which helped. But you can, in principle, do it. I did end up going to war against Austria almost immediately after forming Italy, though, so you might as well take that option if you think you're strong enough.

That was a fun game.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Patter Song posted:

Also, you should probably sphere Luxembourg before you click the Form NGF button, as you'd get them as well.

As the NGF, you get an event to inherit them if you have them in your sphere, so no specific need to wait before pressing the button. Same with Austria as the German Empire (or as the SGF probably, but I've never tested that).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GrossMurpel posted:

That's usually what I end up doing, it's strangely satisfying to push the enemy back in one province which leads to a chain reaction of attacks across the entire front.

Yeah the entire philosophy of Blitzkrieg is local superiority in numbers, right? I'm just always too scared to leave other provinces less defended :ohdear:

Yeah you just have to plan out how big you want your pocket to be and how many divisions you're going to need if you're going to leave behind 2-3-howevermany Mot Inf divs per new province captured to form the cordon. Or work backwards and think about how large a cordon you can afford to create given x many Mot Inf divs you have available.

Or like BBJoey said just play Soviets where you're supposed to have local superiority everywhere, attack everywhere, march to the next province over and it doesn't matter if you need to regen Org after every fight because high Morale means you can afford to do it anyway.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Patter Song posted:

You need to be Germany for inheriting Luxembourg since she is the union country, not NGF. And you can always sphere them after the formation, the event will fire after some time. But you still don't get any cores, no matter when you do it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

bUm posted:

(Victoria for the modern/information age)

Speaking of which, whatever happened to ExtraNoise's modern day Victoria II mod? I remember him posting a bunch of modern newspapers he made for it but never heard anything after.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
If I justify two CBs on a single country, will I be able to declare war with both CBs or add the second wargoal without additional (full) infamy cost?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Trogdos! posted:

If I justify two CBs on a single country, will I be able to declare war with both CBs or add the second wargoal without additional (full) infamy cost?

You can only declare war using one casus belli, but you can add the second one later at no additional infamy cost if you fabricate it before the war and are winning the war.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Note that CBs only last a year, so you'll need to win quickly.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm not sure if it works now, but for a while if you were REALLY willing to sperg out if you alternated three days of influencing and three days of no influence the AI would never notice you were influencing a country. Doing this is hell though so I only ever did it during a two sicilies game because it's a race against redshirts spawning.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Morholt posted:

Note that CBs only last a year, so you'll need to win quickly.
You don't need to win prior to the CB expiring, you only have to use it prior to it expiring.

Fabricate the one you want to use first, fabricate the second one immediately afterwards, declare war with the first soon after the second finishes (they usually take ~300 days so you don't have much time after the second finishes), and add Wargoal the second CB sometime within the first year of the war (you need a decent Warscore advantage before you can add a Wargoal). Two reduced-infamy (theoretically, usually V2 decides to give me a big middle finger by getting caught within the first month more than 50% of the time) Wargoals.

It's also helpful if you have a prior war with that nation to scout out Warscore values so you don't accidentally try to take stuff worth over 100% and are only able to actually use one anyway.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

You need to be Germany for inheriting Luxembourg since she is the union country, not NGF. And you can always sphere them after the formation, the event will fire after some time. But you still don't get any cores, no matter when you do it.

You get cores via random event if you own cores next to it and the MTTH is shortter if it's your culture (The <province name> patrimony).

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Kavak posted:

Your mod appears to work fine Enjoy. I'm trying to incorporate it into HIP, since they don't work when apart, but where is the stuff I need to copy over from the on_actions folder?

Try this

http://www.dropbox.com/s/38cq1nb1zynk1kt/00_on_actions.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

GrossMurpel posted:

You get cores via random event if you own cores next to it and the MTTH is shortter if it's your culture (The <province name> patrimony).

Do cores in Vicky 2 even do anything apart from give you the Reconquest CB?

• Locked thread