Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is a stupid newbie question but in DH which historical bookmark is the one you're supposed to pick? 1914 and 1933 are bad choices, so I've heard, so is it 1936?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DStecks posted:

This is a stupid newbie question but in DH which historical bookmark is the one you're supposed to pick? 1914 and 1933 are bad choices, so I've heard, so is it 1936?

1936 is the standard start. 1933 is only if you want to try Communist Germany and 1914 is a completely separate WW1 scenario. I think it stops at around 1920.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
1933 is also good if you want to do a world conquest game as someone, but I'm fairly sure only the USSR and USA can do total world conquest.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Enjoy posted:

HoI games are railroaded to hell with doctrine tech trees that ramp up at different speeds.

Aren't the vanilla Soviet doctrine techs literally worse than Germany's in every regard?
I think I remember some guys on here saying you can actually beat back Barbarossa without giving up too much territory if you also take Germany's doctrine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DrProsek posted:

1933 is also good if you want to do a world conquest game as someone, but I'm fairly sure only the USSR and USA can do total world conquest.

Any major power can, really, depending on game settings, due to the weird way territory is given out when a country is annexed. If you're France invading Germany via Luxembourg, Luxembourg will end up in control of Germany. If you turn full IC and tech team takeover on, Luxembourg becomes an instant superpower.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

GrossMurpel posted:

Aren't the vanilla Soviet doctrine techs literally worse than Germany's in every regard?
I think I remember some guys on here saying you can actually beat back Barbarossa without giving up too much territory if you also take Germany's doctrine.

Yes - Germany gets the best doctrines by miles in Darkest Hour until the point when the war historically ended, at which point they're pretty much equal.

This is to allow Germany to lose WW2 while taking fewer losses than they inflicted, as well as to enable their astounding early successes.

You CAN switch doctrine to Germany's as the USSR but it's basically cheating and breaks the game balance entirely.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gort posted:

Yes - Germany gets the best doctrines by miles in Darkest Hour until the point when the war historically ended, at which point they're pretty much equal.

This is to allow Germany to lose WW2 while taking fewer losses than they inflicted, as well as to enable their astounding early successes.

You CAN switch doctrine to Germany's as the USSR but it's basically cheating and breaks the game balance entirely.

WWII could have been so much less horrible if only more people listened to Hitler!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Any major power can, really, depending on game settings, due to the weird way territory is given out when a country is annexed. If you're France invading Germany via Luxembourg, Luxembourg will end up in control of Germany. If you turn full IC and tech team takeover on, Luxembourg becomes an instant superpower.

Turning on Full IC Takeover is an option specifically because it'd let you do WCs when you normally shouldn't be able to, and even then Manpower and TC can still be a problem for small countries unless you count released puppets as part of the WC.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone else want a Vicky III? I'd really like to see one given the EUIV treatment with rationalized gameplay mechanics.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to blaspheme and say I want a Vicky 3 more than I want a Rome 2. Stuff like army templates and CK2/EU4 modifiers-based diplomacy (that wasn't just tacked-on to the existing system) and regional/distance-based infamy and all that good stuff that Paradox has learned since would be just awesome.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Continuing with my HOI3 play as France. After puppeting Italy a month into the war (I went back and re-did the invasion with a puppet instead of democratize war goal) and pushing the German line back past Stuttgart, I spent the fall of '39 mopping up in Italy and setting up a defensive line of Mountain infantry along the Italy/German border, while England took on the tough task of puppeting Ethiopia. The winter was spent trying to upgrade pieces of my army for more mobility. Also when the war hit I thought my ~9 wings of interceptors would be enough to dominate the skies- but I was well below estimates. I guess I got greedy and switched over to CAS and Tactical bombers too early.

With Spring I decided to try and liberate Denmark- I knew there'd be few forces there directly, but the lack of a western port slowed progress a lot, and Germany I believe pulled all their Netherlands troops off to block me from progressing into Germany. All the IC spent on building some forts along Belgium wasted, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am completely redeploying the troops along them. Also tried to send a Task Force up from Italy and got some reaction from Germany- but between the rough terrain and too small a force I couldn't do much. I could probably take a narrow bridge between Italy and Hungary, but since Romania hasn't gotten any closer to joining the Allies I guess outside of knocking around a low level Axis stooge there isn't much value. I could also maybe try to retake Austria? I'm hesitant since my Denmark experience reminded me I'd be liberating a country with no armed forces and committing myself to defending an even longer border with Germany.

I'm in late summer of '40 now and I feel like I've stalemated for the moment. Our lines are pretty evenly matched on our fronts, and De Gaulle's second attempt to break through the German line went nowhere this time. I could maybe reorganize my forces and go for another landing around Danzig and punch around the Russian border garrisons? I'd be very worried about triggering a war with the Soviets though. Other than that I'm worried it's going to be an IC war now, and if I can't get a good lend-lease amount from the US I'm probably in trouble.

Random questions:

-I don't get a lot of the tech tree design- it's weird, poorly laid out and in some cases very goofy. The land doctrines are annoying in how things are spread out but at least I get vaguely their attempt to group it into German/American/European/Russian plans. The naval doctrines are even wonkier- I get the sub/heavy cruiser grouping as some sort of tip to the things the Kreigsmarine did well, but why is basing technology there? Why are carriers and light cruisers in the same tree? Also the whole cavalry/militia/infantry weapon splits make no sense really. Why not just have the impact of 'small arms' be different values for each unit type?

-Does 'strategic warfare' actually work in the game? I kind of want to test the effects of bombing German industry for a year or two, but I also kind of imagine that being really boring to do as well.

-The limitations of supply chains and puppets are frustrating. Even after I had liberated Denmark my troops had huge supply issues. Denmark's infrastructure is good, so I'm assuming it had to do with the country getting its production back up and running? and I can't just set up a convoy between France and Denmark.

-Also setting strategic goals for allies doesn't seem to do much. England seems perfectly happy to sail around stomping any Axis ship they can find, but they could probably finish off this war with an Army or 2 now.

-Do puppets borrow/use spies from their 'owner' countries? I released Indochina and Syria from France early on (you're welcome 1960s fictional US) but sent some spies to try and influence their politics to be liberal democrats. But I found these two places draining my spies faster than Italy or Germany.

-I'm so glad military leaders will be more abstract in HoI4. There's nothing more boring than slowly assigning below-average Generals to every backwater militia and low priority line division.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone else want a Vicky III? I'd really like to see one given the EUIV treatment with rationalized gameplay mechanics.

I think that if you've been following this thread for any good period of time, the majority opinion around here is that we desperately want/need/hope for a Victoria III with the new engine. It would be fantastic.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Especially if they add a EU4->V3 converter and a V3->HOI4 converter.

Mega-campaigns was why I got into Paradox, and though I've only done CK2-> EU4, I dream of doing a full one. 1300 years of the Shadowing rule!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to blaspheme and say I want a Vicky 3 more than I want a Rome 2.
Agree 100%. V2 is amazing but it's just not properly realised. It's a great game inside of a bad game so to speak.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Morholt posted:

Agree 100%. V2 is amazing but it's just not properly realised. It's a great game inside of a bad game so to speak.

Thing is, of the current EU4 dev staff, I don't know of any who really 1.) have the passion for V3 necessary to make it great and, more importantly, 2.) the actual skill to make it work. The closest would be Wiz, but he's (rightfully) now EU4 project lead.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I think the reason why there seems to be more excitement for Rome 2 in this thread is because we all assume a Victoria 3 will happen. The Victoria series will be the only main series game without a Clausewitz 2.whatever makeover, so it will probably happen. Their dev cycle has been taking about 18 months between games with this current fun and non-buggy series so the next game around July 2016, and I think we all sort of assume it will be Vicky3. That'd let them do CK3 ~January 2018, starting the main sequence cycle over.

Paradox does have a project Augustus that they are working on which they haven't announced, and that could be anything, but so far none of their games have been related to the project titles in any way I can really tell. CK2 was Project Serpant, EU4 was Project Truman, Runemaster was Project Nero, Hearts of Iron 4 was project Armstrong.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure Vic2 was Regina though?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
So far I'm enjoying stumbling my way through DH and gradually figuring out what the hell I'm doing (and getting my rear end kicked by France), but there's one minor thing that really irritates me: there are no names drawn on any of the countries. I know it's stupid, but one thing I always loved about Paradox games was the way names were dynamically drawn across each country, it made it feel more like looking at a drawn map. Is there a mod or something that adds that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately, no. That's really more of a Clausewitz engine innovation.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

meatbag posted:

I'm pretty sure Vic2 was Regina though?

Well that name just flat-out gives it away.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unfortunately, no. That's really more of a Clausewitz engine innovation.

Hell it only happened in the latter stages of CW1.0's life. It was first introduced in HttT's final patch I'm pretty sure.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sure HoI3 has a tech tree that is very dumb, all over the place, and disorganized, but I can deal with that. But when people talk about increasing the literacy to allow more scholars and balancing the amount of skilled/unskilled workers for what factory, making what, just scares me away from trying anything else.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Sure HoI3 has a tech tree that is very dumb, all over the place, and disorganized, but I can deal with that. But when people talk about increasing the literacy to allow more scholars and balancing the amount of skilled/unskilled workers for what factory, making what, just scares me away from trying anything else.

Yeah to an extent I like the leadership point system of HoI3- the meta-game of deciding if you want to worry about tech versus political versus spies versus officers is simple and intuitive. I just wish the diplomacy and intelligence sections had more uses or were more 'influential'and that the tech tree wasn't so overwhelming, usually in bad ways.

edit- also gently caress theoretical/practicals affecting research time. I get the concept, but it's way too much information to manage in making a tech tree decision. Whoops you decided to research infantry tech too much in 1938 now it's slightly harder to research it in 1940 somehow. I kinda like the conceptual stuff they've shown for practical knowledge affecting design so far, but it might also be easier/nicer if your minister choices simply determined techs you have 'affinity' to...and not allow the user to change them too regularly. Like that's roughly how the ministers work now with reduced decay, you just make it more straightforward for the end user.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 20, 2014

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Victoria II question:

Why the heck do I have so few brigades? I'm playing as Siam and I started off with a supply limit of 10. I crossed through some attrition territory during peacetime and that dropped to 8 and after a war with Johore it went down to 5. Flash forward two decades and I've only got it up to 16 with a population of 2 million. It's bizarre my soldier pops are so fragile. My military funding was 100% during all of this time and putting my NI to soldiers doesn't seem to have an appreciable increase. I'm baffled why Siam in 1905 is so weak.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
There's a penalty to promotion to soldiers if they are more than 1% of the population. Make sure your NF doesn't leave you with a bunch of soldier pops too small to support a regiment, since those still count against promotion rate.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to blaspheme and say I want a Vicky 3 more than I want a Rome 2. Stuff like army templates and CK2/EU4 modifiers-based diplomacy (that wasn't just tacked-on to the existing system) and regional/distance-based infamy and all that good stuff that Paradox has learned since would be just awesome.

The problem I have with Vic 3 is that I don't think Paradox is yet experienced enough to do (my dream of it) justice. The Victorian era is essentially the end-boss of grand strategy games, to use an incredibly tortured metaphor. The time period includes all the aspects that are seen as primary features of other Paradox games, like internal politics in CK or trade and colonisation in EU or total warfare in HoI. Vic 2 is great but it's spread pretty thin; internal politics are a matter of the occasional event, trade is an impenetrable black box to literally everyone and the warfare system is barely adequate for modelling conflicts from early in the period, let alone the trench warfare in the west and manoeuvre warfare in the east of the Great War.

I know that when Vic 3 comes out (because it certainly will) I'll buy it and enjoy it, but I can't help but feel that it'll be much the same as Victoria 2 with a few enhancements and polish done, like the EU3 -> EU4 transition, when to do the Victorian era justice would require a lot more work.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

grancheater posted:

There's a penalty to promotion to soldiers if they are more than 1% of the population. Make sure your NF doesn't leave you with a bunch of soldier pops too small to support a regiment, since those still count against promotion rate.

I've avoided that I think. By the end of the game it wasn't a problem anymore. I managed to bring myself up to the 5-7th strongest army in the world. Instead it was my abysmal prestige and industry that sank me. Had more money than I knew what to do with however.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

My dream game is a good Cold War or Modern game developed by paradox but that's not going to happen anytime soon so Vicky 3 is cool with me.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

When you upgrade navy techs in HoI, does that provide bonuses to the previously build ships, or only those going forward? I'm assuming it retrofits the old ships as part of your upgrade budget, but while looking around I didn't see a sort of 'engine: 1941 xx' type listing on the active ship info, it was all just details on the historical ship type.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

When you upgrade navy techs in HoI, does that provide bonuses to the previously build ships, or only those going forward? I'm assuming it retrofits the old ships as part of your upgrade budget, but while looking around I didn't see a sort of 'engine: 1941 xx' type listing on the active ship info, it was all just details on the historical ship type.

Only their brigades upgrade. That's always been the case with Paradox games until recently- I could seriously kiss whoever added that "auto-upgrade fleet" button for EU IV.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think AAA and ASW are automatically upgraded on ships, but for the rest, nope. If you're going to give a boat a new hull or main battery you may as well make a whole new ship.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

In HoI 3, only the AA and ASW will upgrade on previously built ships. Everything else is pretty much stuck as is, unless you spend a lot of IC upbrading destroyers/subs by clicking the weird wrench icon* and that literally takes so long it's almost better to just build a new ship unless you REALLY want the xp from the old ships.

*I think this is in the vanilla game, I lose track of what isn't modded and what is.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think that V2 only really picks up towards the end of the 19th century, after Great Wars are enabled, and armies start to get bigger and bigger. It's just really interesting to see the Crisis system unfold and wars spiraling out of control thanks to all the networks of alliances. It's kind of like a more dynamic, less-railroaded version of HOI.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

AAA, ASW, Sonar and Radar can be upgraded on old hulls. They also benefit from doctrinal techs.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Testikles posted:

Victoria II question:

Why the heck do I have so few brigades? I'm playing as Siam and I started off with a supply limit of 10. I crossed through some attrition territory during peacetime and that dropped to 8 and after a war with Johore it went down to 5. Flash forward two decades and I've only got it up to 16 with a population of 2 million. It's bizarre my soldier pops are so fragile. My military funding was 100% during all of this time and putting my NI to soldiers doesn't seem to have an appreciable increase. I'm baffled why Siam in 1905 is so weak.

Check the detailed POP view for some POPs to find out why they promote/demote and how likely it is they'll become soldiers.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

My dream game is a good Cold War or Modern game developed by paradox but that's not going to happen anytime soon so Vicky 3 is cool with me.

East vs West :downs:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

My dream game is a good Cold War or Modern game

Pretty sure that's a major disqualifier for EvW.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Don Gato posted:

In HoI 3, only the AA and ASW will upgrade on previously built ships. Everything else is pretty much stuck as is, unless you spend a lot of IC upbrading destroyers/subs by clicking the weird wrench icon* and that literally takes so long it's almost better to just build a new ship unless you REALLY want the xp from the old ships.

*I think this is in the vanilla game, I lose track of what isn't modded and what is.

Good to know- I guess it makes sense from a realism perspective and I'm ok with it, just wish some of these mechanics were more obvious.

But just to be sure- land and air brigades/wings all auto upgrade?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

But just to be sure- land and air brigades/wings all auto upgrade?

Assuming you have enough IC going into the Upgrades slider, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Assuming you have enough IC going into the Upgrades slider, yes.

Ok good- I was worried I was going to discover that slider secretly did nothing and was wasting 6-40 IC over the course of years.

So England finally decided to try doing something, landing one division of marines at the German/Danish border. That didn't go well, but they somehow actually got a foothold for a week or two before being squashed.

I'm taking the summer of '41 off in terms of serious offensives, may try a feint into Austria again just to keep the Germans on their toes. In reality I'm hoping to launch a couple of runway-cratering missions late in late August to try and decimate the German airforce before trying some logistical warfare in '42.

• Locked thread