Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Wiz posted:

This is high on my agenda for "things I am going to ask to be allowed to work on".
What else is high on your list? (I'm aware any or all of them may or may not happen depending upon the whims of your cruel Scandinavian overlords.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
And the problem with converters is that they'd be a huge programming effort (that would need to be tested and updated every time either of the two games they link is patched) that would sell less than the games. it's just too much effort for too little return.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, that's the big weakness to the EU3 and CK2 combat systems. There's a lot going on under the hood and some fairly clever and complex systems being run, but the game is really bad at showing the player what's happening and there's no way for the player to influence it even if they knew.

Looks like EU4 won't be improving on that aspect of it much, although I do like the strategic-level changes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

JGBeagle posted:

Isn't Blizzard the company that says "There's nothing wrong with our games, they're working as intended?" or am I thinking of some other sleazy company?
You must be thinking of someone else because Blizzard patches all their games almost forever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I don't think the SMAC games ever gave any specifics, the point is that it sounds nasty.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's only 1 of your 9 NI slots. People are freaking out about it way too much.

I'm glad countries will feel at least a little distinct.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's been thirty-something developer diaries, I recommend reading all the non-country-specific ones first so you know all the game system changes: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?629770-Europa-Universalis-IV-Development-Diaries-Archive

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Obviously we haven't played it yet, but I agree.

Going to put money down that it gets heavily nerfed/modified in an early patch.
On the other hand, keep in mind that every time you do it you're delaying your next administration tech or idea by a few months.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Another England video from Quill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW1xrx9Pa9o

I am a huge fan of the detailed attitude/reasoning breakdown in the diplomacy tooltips. It looks even better than CK2! Scotland falling all over itself to ally with him so he wouldn't invade them was pretty funny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Woah. The AI can offer to sell you provinces. Although I assume you still can't exploit them by offering to buy them. That's really cool.

EDIT: It looks like Portugal sold the province it got off France to England, Austria sold theirs to the little French vassal state, and Denmark sold theirs back to France. That's really awesome. The AI must assessing if wants/can keep a province and selling it off if not.
That is astoundingly cool.
Yeah, that was pretty cool after seeing everyone point out how giving random noncore wrong culture provinces to your allies in a peace deal wasn't really doing them any favors after the last video.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

SeaTard posted:

It doesn't work in EU3.
Well it worked on the two most recent games using the engine, and Quill seems to be using it in his hands-off video (since his country symbol is the rebel shield), so I think it's a safe bet it's in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

fuf posted:

It's a bit weird how there are trade routes incoming from the Atlantic before the Americas even get discovered. I wonder how hard-coded all those arrows are.
They're probably moddable, but there's no mechanic for changing them dynamically during play, which is why there's trans-Atlantic and -Pacific ones at the start.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's supposed to be a popup. Wiz said it's a bug on the Paradox boards.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Daeren posted:

I really wish CK2 had a system like this now.
Speaking of things that need to be backported to CK2, I would pay money to have the EU4 siege system instead of the CK2 event popups.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I want Underworld Invasion to be real so bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

/Johan answers:
I'm pretty certain it takes a modder just a few hours to set it up though.
That really interesting. I guess the tags the randomizer uses and the area of the map it randomizes must be moddable, so you'd just need to add all the existing tags and change it to cover the whole world.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That most recent picture on the holiday countdown tumblr certainly looks...spacey.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Whatever happened with that East vs West game? Is it coming out this year maybe?
Funny you should mention that... http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?745246-East-vs-West-MP

Johan posted:

Sadly, it is looking very likely that MP will be cut from the game.

Johan posted:

When games get severe delays, eventually you have to cut things in order to get the game finished at all. Usually you do not announce any feature that have a risk of being cut to avoid outrage, but sometimes you have no choice.

As soon as the game reaches beta, we will ramp up announcements and dev diaries at a rapid speed, for the final six months until release.

The really funny part is the EvW devs in the thread responding by quoting the multiplayer bullet point from http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/east-vs-west

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 6, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Johan said on twitter that while normally he enjoys trolling about unannounced things, he couldn't bear to see people getting their hopes up so much and has confirmed neither of the upcoming projects is Rome 2.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I get the impression that the EvW devs somehow convinced Paradox to let them try a "pay what you want" beta in hopes of raising enough money to finish the game, instead of being forced to cut features until they can release it on time because Paradox won't pay them any more.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
A mod the size of Kaiserreich not using version control is absolutely horrifying. :stonk:

I can't even imagine how much easier life would be for the person acting as the ad-hoc repository if they were.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 21, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Meanwhile, Project Armstrong hint 5:

quote:

There is politics and espionage.
HoI4 seems like the smart bet. I can't wait to see the conspiracy theories about this being the reason Paradox is trying to kill EvW.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'll be really happy as long as neither is HoI4. I expect to be disappointed though since of the four main franchises HoI is first in line for a sequel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Where are the actual tweets/what-have-you about the EU4 and CK2 DLCs? I can't seem to find them.
Buried way below the game announcement ones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm actually double disappointed. It didn't even occur to me that the fantasy game wouldn't be grand strategy and I was really looking forward to that.

At least the expansions sound good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

quiggy stardust posted:

Procedural generation and emergent storytelling. Either they try to build this from scratch and the game is a huge disappointment or they steal CK2's NPC system and nail it perfectly. Here's hoping it's the latter.
Yeah CK2 is the only game I can think of that actually has emergent narratives, which is pretty funny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Unfortunately the fact that trade in EU4 is directional and can only flow towards Europe would probably make that pointless outside of the comedy value.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 23, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Tomn posted:

You know, it seems like the devs who tend to post here agree that the "Non-Western Units are Crap" thing is dumb. So who in Paradox exactly is arguing that non-Western units should suck worse than equivalent Western units?
Johan is the lead designer on EU4 so in the end only his opinion really matters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, it looks like they just threw all the beta patch notes together, so some things were changed and then reverted and fixed in other ways. That is definitely the case with the Netherlands stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Basically yes. It's to let nations bring home Asian trade without conquering it all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

No one talking about this? Finally we were told about the underlying AI structure of the game.

I can barely remember how we went on with our lives without knowing this.
Wait a minute, do other Clausewitz-engine export their AI to Lua? I thought it was generally unmodifiable outside of a few things that get exported to text files.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 23, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

podcat posted:

Only HoI3
Why don't the other games do it? Just think, Wiz wouldn't have needed to get a job with you guys to fix CK2 and EU4. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
From an external point of view I don't see any reason they'd need a new engine in the foreseeable future. It does 3D, has a ton of mod support, and is apparently flexible enough to build both RPGs and strategy games on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Thumbs Up Dude posted:

Not sure why they even dropped other distributors - putting patches out there should be simple already. The binaries were the same for CK2, even though it has steam integration. It seems like the switch to steam-only is much more a political/business decision rather than anything related to making development or user experience easier.
Johan said multiple times that supporting CK2 both on and off Steam was a lot of extra work for them technically and it really annoyed him. :shrug:

For EU4 they switched to steamworks for multiplayer (which is perfectly sensible, writing your own robust networking code is a pain in the rear end) so that was that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at there. Which flag is Spain?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DStecks posted:

Couldn't that be solved by having either A) the coalition leader takes over all coalition forces, or B) a single AI directs the militaries of an all-AI coalition.
What happens if a coalition members gets in a second war that doesn't involve the rest of the coalition?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I'm sympathetic to podcat's position because whenever I go out of my way to document things it's invariably rendered obsolete the moment a coworker touches the code but not the documentation. Mostly I just try to write clear code and comment complicated or weird things like workarounds for bugs in 3rd party libraries.

Now, if you're writing an external interface that's going to be used by hundreds of other people documentation is an important part of your product, but internal documentation for a team that can be counted on one hand is a different matter.

Disco Infiva posted:

Wouldn't this be easier if you have a "documentation guy"? Every time you change/add/remove something, you submit it to some poor underpaid intern to also change it in the documentation.
This doesn't really save any time since the developers still have to put in the effort to write it up for the documentation guy. If anything, having the extra guy in the middle who doesn't know the code or domain would tend to introduce more errors in the documentation.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 8, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Remember that you can turn retinues off by disabling Legacy of Rome in the launcher. The only other significant thing this removes is a bunch of Byzantine decisions and events, IIRC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I find the idea of a lead designer using the words "then develop AI to work the same as humans" to be horrifying. I really hope that means "develop AI to play by the same rules as the human player" as opposed to "make AI that's as good as humans", but even that is pretty hard to swallow as something that might be in a design doc somewhere.
Why? The EU4 AI does mostly play by the same rules as humans, except for a couple of places where Wiz just didn't have the time to do things properly and had to let it cheat, like naval attrition.

What that's referring to is that when there's a choice between making the AI act like a human playing a game or a historical ruler, it generally acts like a player.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

TheMcD posted:

To me it sounds like a resignation that you're not going to be able to create an AI that will challenge the player (because you're not going to make an actually "smart" AI in a game like this, that's structurally impossible) but you're also not going to be giving the AI any real boosts to make up for the gap in skill, so instead you're going to attempt to somehow keep the balance in a different way, which usually manifests itself in increasing the tedium (since AIs have no problem with tedium but humans do).

There's not a lot you can do in a strategy game to keep the AI challenging while having both sides play with the same rules. I guess they did go in the other direction with lucky nations and AI bonuses, but even then the AI needs to be kept on a very short leash lest it completely crap itself - and a strategy game gives the AI plenty opportunities to crap itself.
I honestly can't tell what you're trying to say here. Obviously strategy AI will always be at a huge diasadvantage because it can't do long-term planning the way a human can. What do you think it should get to make up for that, other than the lucky/AI bonuses that are already in the game?

• Locked thread