Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Pooned posted:

Fourth clue about the new Victoria project: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151662019154816&set=a.10151655543149816.610612.284210044815&type=3&l=5fd335e15d&theater

Still don't have a clue what it's about. I have faith it's going to be super cool either way.

Edit: Actually i literally have a clue right here. Let me rephrase that, i have no idea what the expansion/whatever will be about.

Submission? Sounds like fleshing out colonialism maybe?

Also, Paradox, would it be possible to find a better way to organize armies? Playing Russia in Vicky2 is a nightmare when it comes to setting up your forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
It's probably a bit late now, but if Wiz could get his hands on some of the mechanics in Vic2 with this expansion I'd be thrilled.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Well you could try not spending 40% of GDP on the military for starters. The USSR had the resources to "win" the cold war, they just didn't use them right.

Except Germany is anything but doomed to fail in HOI.

That's a real nice way to be removed from power, and in your place the military installs someone who does want to spend 40%.

I mean, it could be an interesting mechanic, trying to rein in spending while appeasing the hawks, but it sure shouldn't be pulling a slider back and your economy roars past the US in a year.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Paradox Grand Strategy: We are preparing for the worse.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Echoing the dominion issues, lots of strange little countries appearing. Maybe prevent the AI from releasing them before 1890 or something?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
We hoped Wiz would fix Paradox and instead Paradox broke Wiz :(

Seriously though, I've not noticed anything big other than the dominion stuff, and the crashes are very easily fixed. Managing big armies is still really clumsy though: I would love some sort of OBB editor, especially now that army composition is so much more important.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

The Narrator posted:

Starting as Sweden in the 1836 aHoD start, why does my economy instantly fall to pieces and gently caress itself out of recovery from go? Raising all taxes to 100, slashing military/clergy/bureaucracy funding and everything doesn't help much, I just inevitably slipstream down unable to make a consistent profit. It's been a long time since I've played Vicky 2 (didn't get A House Divided until today, even, and the bulk of my playtime would have been just after release of the original V2), what's happening here?

I must say I'm enjoying Vicky with AHD and HoD, though. The crisis points are great at keeping the GPs on their toes, the colonial game appears to make for some interesting outcomes (my learn-to-play-again game as Brazil ended up with the UK releasing Canada in 1836 but then successfully colonising Oregon, Washington and Idaho without much competition. The only real issues at the moment, apart from me not really remembering how to play/what I should be doing are the constant dominion releases and the post-dominion colonising oddity. That, and as Brazil France kept deciding to dick on me for some reason :(

I'm experiencing the same, and there seems to be something strange with estimated income/actual income. The sum in the lower right of the budget window often projects a deficit, while on the main screen, the number in the top left says I run a surplus. I might be misunderstanding something though.

I desperately need someone to make a How to play-LP for Vic2 :(

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Splitting pops has to be the most :psyduck: mechanic in any game ever. Alternatively, I'm too stupid to properly understand it.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

I think Imperialism handled the era pretty well in terms of railroads. I kinda wish it was a bit more like that, where we were actually building a trade network to supply our factories with raw materials. I'd gladly trade a lot of the population and trade detail out of the game for better transport detail. Transport was pretty much THE big deal of the time. Railways and steam ships changed the world. V2 just sort of ignores it entirely, it doesn't even abstract it, goods just magically teleport all over the world for free.

Some sort of distance cost added to goods would change everything. Railways and merchant fleets would reduce those costs domestically and internationally. Ports and railways would matter big time.

I agree completely. I hope the next expansion is Victoria 2: The Invisible Hand, with a complete rewrite of the economic system.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
For me, the tediousness with wars is mostly the ridiculous mechanic for assembling armies. Dragging, moving, splitting 200+ brigades is horrible. This is probably made worse by the fact that my last few games have been Prussia, Austria and Russia though :v:

I'd love a simple army assembler function, a menu where you said "make a 12x Infantry, 3x Engineer, 3x Artillery, 4x Guards, 4x Hussar army, and keep them coming as far as my supply limit allows".

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

TheBalor posted:

God, and just try setting up an army as a large nation. I'm building dozens or hundreds of brigades, and have to assemble the ideal makeup for each of them. It's enough to make you scream.

This. I don't mind the economy so much, as I usually play large enough nations for the capitalists to run things smoothly enough (although probably not optimally), but the army management is like a 10+ year old system. It's difficulty through interface, not mechanics.

So many needless deaths because I just plunge my massive amounts of mobilized citizens into the breach, because I cannot be bothered to provide them with adequate support units. :smith:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

Late game though there's kinda no point to this, you'll have 800+ regiments and whether just one or two can't reinforce doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Also late game the economy goes under permanently and you'll have millions of unemployed workers turning into soldiers just fine :smith:

I'm beginning to suspect V2 army management is so hilariously bad so that you will quit in frustration before everything collapses and slows to a crawl in the endgame :v:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

James The 1st posted:

The Paradox forums can be bad sometimes. Random idiots keep posting in the Victoria 2 forum how HoD is not very good/disappointing.

I sorta think this too :(

I think my biggest problem is that HoDs improvements to diplomacy and imperialism now makes the economy and army management seem so much worse than before, even if they are the same.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its so strange that China needs to "Westernize" to keep par with Europe when not only was China more advanced but also that pretty much the entire European intelligentsia felt that Europe should "Sino-ize" and follow the example of the Chinese for the entirety of EU's timeframe.

I have never heard that anyone in Europe wanted to Sionize, much less most of the intelligentsia. Do you have any sources or places I could read more?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I'd love a trade simulator in the vein of Patrician 3 and such.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Beamed posted:

Have you played Patrician 4? It's basically 3 but all shiny and new :3:

I tried it a bit, but just buying ships and ordering the captains to "make profit" seemed a bit uninvolving.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
When importing from CK, will regnal numbers carry over? I know Swedes like to muck up these things :colbert:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
While it was incredibly annoying right when it happened, in retrospect it is pretty cool that a single 5/5/2/3 rebel commander forced me to convert to Protestantism. I was coming out of a war where the Ottomans had killed all of my 80k troops (thanks for all the help Poland, I'm glad you lost Bessarbia :argh:), and my mercenaries could not touch him. Without ironman I would have just reloaded, but I converted and am having more fun for it.

Ironman mode is the best mode.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
The terrible interface for managing armies is the reason I can never seem to enjoy Vic2 :smith:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I just hope to god Paradox finally realizes that Victoria desperately needs a proper OOB editor. Splitting and sending troops everywhere is a nightmare with bigger nations. That, and a unified manpower pool so that your regiments dont appear all over Eurasia (yes i play Russia a lot).

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Ofaloaf posted:

A medieval Sim City sort of thing would be fantastic. Especially if wasn't like Anno or the older iterations of Sim City and actually allowed for curvy roads and so forth. Watch your settlement expand beyond the confines of the city walls! Cry in frustration as all that is burned down by marauding enemy troops! Worry as the city core builds up and out, with overhanging stories creating fire and sanitary hazards! Try to get the old Roman sewage system working again! Etc.!

Banished might be of interest. Medieval-ish city/economy simulator.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

e X posted:

What is the point of a game if I can't lead my unfairly marginalized nation finally to the greatness it so rightly deserves?

(Is there a lot of historic revanchism in Scandinavia?)

Eh, Norwegians sometimes suggest we should buy back Jamtland and Herjedalen. And Bohuslen, I suppose.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

fermun posted:

I just hope that HoI4 focuses on what the fans want, more provinces, more tech tree theory techs, and a more intricate weather system.

All armored divisions needs to have several stats whose only purpose is to affect unit efficiency in different kinds of weather.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
State of Area. :geno:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

podcat posted:

Oops, thats actually a bug. It should have been put in the support category

Wow, this post is more QA than HoI3 ever got.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Morholt posted:

:siren: The new resources added to EU4 exist in V2 :siren:

Converter confirmed?

They are in two different engines though, and Victoria is the next game up for a sequel. Maybe they are setting up for a EU4->V3 one..

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure Vic2 was Regina though?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Best case scenario is that the studio makes money hand over fist and decide to make a sequel right away instead of 3+ years of CK2 style DLC :haw:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I really hope it's a new 4X in space. I bought GalCiv 3 and got tired after an hour. The genre is desperate for a complete paradigm shift.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Man, an unsymmetrical galaxy start would be the best thing that could happen to 4x games. Some large, old, advanced empires, some small new ones. Kinda like CK2.

I think a combat system somewhere in between HoI and Eu4 could work well: research different paths and doctrines, and raise large fleets, but the fighting itself is hidden, with a limited number of units and upgrades. I'm space Stalin ruling over dozens of planets, I don't have time to fit a missile launcher to a gunboat.

Honestly, the massive dissonance between ruling entire systems, yet having to design and control individual ships, have always felt a bit ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Agean90 posted:

I mean a previous game in the series. CK1 was hella jank, Vickys ui was forsaken by god, and I dont even want to know what the first HOI game was like.

I'm pretty sure you had to manually manage all your convoys. :downs:

• Locked thread