Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kersch posted:

Will there ever be a Jules Verne-esque Vic 2 DLC with a martian invasion or something?
Oh poo poo, War of the Worlds DLC would be the best thing ever. Even though it would not fit with the rest of the game in any way whatsoever- it's nothing to do with industrialization or any of the uniquely Victorian bits... it'd just be straight up war.

Unless... somehow the Martians had the same incredibly unfair colonization mechanics as the Europeans had, only they applied it to Europe. All of a sudden you'd go from playing a great power to playing a struggling uncivilized nation in comparison to the Martians. It would make the Martian invasion an eye-opening event recontextualizing European imperialism from the perspective of the conquerors to the perspective of the vanquished. HG Wells style.

Now if only playing an uncivilized country was in any way fun, that'd be an awesome idea. (It's a terrible idea.)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZearothK posted:

A Srb Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Mk. V for Victoria II: A House Divided
I just wanted to say how fantastic this mod is. And not just because it was a fun LP, it's a really fun alternate scenario. Victoria 2 plays very differently when a good majority of the GPs are in Asia, and it results in a much more interesting game.

My friend can't stop talking about his fascinating game as Katay where he expanded into central Asia and ran afoul of paranoid backwater Europeans who were wary of the encroaching Chinese menace. Great Old Serbia, Germany, and Italy (pretty much all the great and secondary powers of Europe besides Russia, with whom he managed to ally), all teamed up against him, and he just swatted them down like flies, leading to Chinese domination of Europe. Of course his real enemies were in Rajputana, Vijayanagara, Persia, and Japan, which resulted in a really drat cool WWI in Asia.

It just feels like there's a lot more going on in this than in vanilla Vic 2.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I seem to have Heart of Darkness.

Thank you Steam. That was unexpected.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The AI seems to love releasing Dominions. Portugal released Angola and Mozambique Jan 1, 1936. The British released British Colombia too at some point. For some reason.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

It's not poorly tested, it's just not a big issue. Sure, we'll tweak it so it doesn't spin off so many, but if AI dominions are the biggest problem people have with HoD I'd be pretty pleased.
It's not about how big the issue is. It's about how obvious it is. Can't boot up the game without it smacking you in the face.

But you're right, it's not a big deal. Mostly just a funny one. So don't take this as a serious complaint.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

WTF you guys! Nothing wrong with a pile of dominions. I sometimes will switch between the major powers releasing as many nations as possible. Makes the world more interesting.

Jesus christ don't hassle the devs over something so minor.
Well, I thought it was a minor issue... until right after I made that post.

Then Britain released Canada as a Dominion. And I, as the US, wanted to conquer Canada. Can't declare war on Canada itself, as it's a dominion, and if I declare war on the UK to "free" Canada... well, I'm just at war with the UK, not Canada, so... I have to get through the British navy to do anything.

I was so happy about the whole occupy a province for warscore thing specifically because it meant you wouldn't have to get through the British fleet to conquer Canada. Dominion issues mess that up.

I just want to conquer Canada without a navy... is that such a crime?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

How does a wargoal against a satellite negate the ticker?
Can't add a wargoal against a satellite I'm not at war with. If the UK doesn't call Canada to war, I can't occupy Canadian territory.

I actually don't know how the ticker works for non-province related wargoals like "free puppet". I guess I could still just beat up all their armies they sent over and rack up warscore like that eventually with battles. I kind of gave up on that game when I marched right into Ottawa and then realized I wasn't occupying any of the provinces... not being at war with Canada and all.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Wait, going to war over a backed nation doesn't make you go to war with that nation? What?
Yeah. I justified a "free puppet" war with the UK. I declared war, and demanded the release their dominion, Canada.

I proceeded to march into Ottawa before I realized I wasn't actually at war with Canada. Just the UK and it's other allies.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I could even walk troops into Canada while I wasn't at war with them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm pretty sure that "barrel" was a code-name or whatever for the first tanks being developed by the Brits to make sure that any spy that got that info would be misled into thinking they were supply vehicles instead of line-breaking weapon platforms.
It's a Turtledove reference. In his alternate history where the South wins the Civil War, the first tanks were developed in America, not Britain. Historically the name tank comes from its code name, and the same was true in Turtledove's alternate history, but America used "barrel" instead of "tank" as the code name.

It's kind of eye roll worthy, but it lead to an American invented blitzkrieg being known as the barrel roll, which got a chuckle out of me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZearothK posted:

NNM and PDM do actually use them, an event (from The Disunited States of America file) adds their cores if the USA stops being a democracy.
Oh, so that's how that happened. I'd played a really fun game as New England where that happened back in AHD, but I couldn't get the US to really shatter last time I played.

Turns out I got a really lucky anarcho-liberal uprising turning the US into a bourgeois dictatorship moments before I released New England.

It was a really awesome game. As New England, the CSA and I were locked in a really involved sphere battle over all the newly independent states. Like some kind of Prussia/Austria situation or something. I wish I'd finished the game though, as a war between the two camps for domination of the continent was all but inevitable, and I wasn't sure my industry and technology alone could compete with their manpower.

In contrast, playing New England isn't all that fun if your neighbor is an angry unstoppable US who's out for blood.

Somewhat more fun was the time that New England revolted by itself... then the Manhattan Commune did... and then the Free States of America rebelled, consisting of Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York... and then some time later the CSA rebelled, including all of the West, as I'd made them all slave states. The "United States" was Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. They had Missouri and New Jersey a time too, but the CSA and FSA each took one.

The fun was up when the UK sphered the US though. With hoards of UK troops down from Canada, the US managed to quickly annex the FSA in a single "restore order" war, and I was next on the list as New England. And so that game ended.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, and uncivs can't build proper ports, so when their ships in port suffer attrition, they can never be repaired.

Also, how long has it been that Korea is allied with China from 1836? I played my first game as Japan and tried to do that thing where you civilize by annexing Korea but, well, China made that a less than tempting goal.

I decided to go after Dai Nam instead... but it was so far away that I had to disband my fleet and make a new one with fresh ships that wouldn't die of attrition before my army got there.

While I was occupying their territory it occurred to me I'd have to make a third fleet if I ever wanted to get my troops back, and I took a step back and looked at what I was doing and how little sense it all made and quit playing.

At least Japan invading Korea made some sense, even if the bonus was kind of absurdly good. I mean, they did tend to do that historically. Invading Southeast Asia is just gamey poo poo. And the fleet shenanigans were even worse.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I figured I'd get my feet wet on the HoD unciv mechanics (I haven't had much time to play, so the most I've gone is up to the 1880s as Prussia/NGF/Germany) and chose to go as Japan since they usually have an interesting road to westernization. It's not yet 1855 and I've westernized already, but I'm wondering: what are some good avenues to expand? For reference, I already control Korea and Brunei (they still get a ton of oil in the later game, right?) and am considering annexing Johore. Any other good spots?
All those nice independent states in Southeast Asia are pretty tasty and easy.

Picking on China is always fun and practical, but you might want to just sphere/puppet them/take a couple treaty ports if you don't want to deal with digesting all that.

I like the idea of forcing the Europeans out of east Asia. Keep your navy relatively strong and Spain and the Netherlands are easy targets... so long as they aren't allied with the UK.

"Liberating" India would be a nice endgame goal. Siberia is another possible goal, to create a strong buffer. Maybe take Alaska while you're at it and fight the UK on two fronts (or three if you invade Australia). You know, if you're feeling like you want a nice globe-spanning death-match between unstoppable island-based empires to round out your game.

Basically as Japan, you're drowned in options, and you can probably achieve all of them with a little determination.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sheriff posted:

I think this has been covered in the thread before, but I can't seem to find it. How are you supposed to attack a dominion? Specifically, I'm playing a US game and would like to annex some Canadian provinces. Canada is released as a dominion of the UK. You can't declare or justify a war with a dominion. But if I declare war on the UK, Canada never joins in, so I can't add war goals to annex Canadian lands. Am I missing something? Is there anyway to get that land?

EDIT: This is in vanilla HoD
As far as I know you have to get the UK to release them first. I ran into the issue as US trying to get Canada, and as Scandinavia trying to get Russian Finland. You can't just take them, you need to free them, and then take them.

If there's an easier way, I'd love to know.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Not just not vital, you can pick a 'hero' nation for the period, become the #1 Great Power, and never look at it at all.

Case in point, at what I'm getting at.

In EUIII to build an Army Man I pay 10 gold.

In V2 to build an Army Man, I need 20 guns, 20 stylish jackets, 20 bottles of wine, and 20 cans of tuna fish. But I don't actually need to know those numbers, or even that I need those things at all, because when I order an Army Man, all the purchases are made for me by my invisible AI helpers, and the actual cost in gold I pay (which is hidden in a tooltip) is a totally unpredictable fluctuating amount based on current market conditions, which I may be able to make very slightly more efficient by using national focuses to make capitalists some tiny percentage more likely to build tuna fish canneries. But I don't really need to worry about efficacy, because the AI has, entirely without my input, made me the most powerful industrial nation on the planet and I've got 31 million gold in the bank, so gently caress efficacy - free cans of tuna for everyone!

In both games you push a button, pay some gold, and get a new Army Man, but one has a Rube Goldbergish sub-structure that churns away elaborately in the background, which (I suspect) gives no better (and perhaps worse) results then a far more abstract and 'game over simulation' system would.
So, not strongly disagreeing with you, but just musing on the subject: You'd think if you really did nothing to the economy, the AI countries would do just as well, at least. You'd think starting out at #2 or 3 with a similar rank for growth capacity would leave you at that rank, if the AI countries were doing just as well as you.

Also, if you're playing France or America of course you can expect to have an easy time of it industrially. On some level that's like complaining about playing the UK and having the whole game handed to you on a silver platter. It's not balanced, and it's not supposed to be. You'd care more about managing your industry if you were, for instance, trying to make population-poor Scandinavia an industrial powerhouse to keep your GP rank. A top GP that already has the foundation for an industry is not going to have to manually mess with their factories to do really well. I agree the system's got issues, but that is not a failing in my mind.

And things like automatically buying guns on the world market might seem like a pointless addition when everything goes right, but it's got its most interesting implications when it goes wrong. Like when you've gotten into a naval race with a rival, but the two of you have bought up all the steamers in the world, and the other guy has his own factory, so he can build ships and you can't. Or you could be relatively poor country with a gun factory or something, and suddenly a great war breaks out and all the great powers are suddenly interested in guns- even though they don't care about where the guns come from (if they were humans they'd just be clicking a button to make troops and giving it no more thought), they're making your factory super profitable all of a sudden.

I mean, ultimately I think you're right. An economic simplification or abstraction would probably make the game a lot better, and there's a lot to be dissatisfied with. But I think it's a system that's already a lot more engaging than you give it credit for.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

A fair point, but do you know you don't need every state to be at 100% as long as your overall Admin eff is 100%? You can have some states over and some under, and IIRC there's a line of techs that helps too. Assuming your nation is at 100% overall, per state bureaucrats only matters in a colony you want to make a state,
Really? I read (in this topic) that a state's admin efficiency affected the rate at which pops were promoted by a national focus, so you should do bureaucrats and then clergy when you're fixing up a new province.

I figure you'd know best, but I wanted to make sure I've actually been doing poo poo wrong this whole time.

And while I'm asking things I've never understood... what exactly are the practical implications of tariffs (besides free money)? I know this has been asked before, but the various answers have never really made all that much sense to me.

Speaking of tariffs and nonsense... all the parties in the antebellum US are free trade except the Southern Democrats. In reality, the Civil War almost started over the subject of tariffs, with South Carolina threatening to succeed over onerous tariffs (that the North liked), rather than slavery. The agricultural South liked free trade, and the industrial North liked protectionism. That difference was nearly as contentious as the issue of slavery between the regions. Feels like Victoria has that totally wrong, just slapping free trade on the "liberal" party and protectionism on the "reactionary" party.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cool. That bureaucrat stuff will save me a lot of headache I'd been imposing on myself.

gradenko_2000 posted:

As for tariffs, you're making everything more expensive for your POPs to buy, so it's another layer of taxation. Running tariffs too high can cause your POPs to be unable to meet their needs.
So does this mean that as long as my pops are getting their needs met I might as well run at full tariff?

Fister Roboto posted:

They make imported goods more/less expensive for your POPs, but they don't offer any form of economic protectionism like you'd think they would. POPs and factories are hard-coded to buy domestically first, even if your tariff slider is at -100%.
Welp. That was going to be another followup question if tariffs would ever make my factories more profitable by protecting the domestic market...

Does it affect factory buying prices at least, so I could effectively subsidize factories input with those conceptually bizarre negative tariffs?

Related: Do high tariffs make factories unprofitable if they buy their input from overseas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tulip posted:

(the Chinese military at that time was awful - The Opium War Through Chinese Eyes is a good set of primary source accounts that constitutes THE single greatest tragicomedy the world has ever seen).
The best bit was when the Chinese, utterly desperate to do something to those drat British gunships, trained monkeys strapped with explosives to try and take them out.

It didn't work, but that's a thing the Chinese actually resorted to.

• Locked thread