Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is Victoria 2 multiplayer playable at all? It seems like the economy is unstable enough in singleplayer.

The main issue is that it's a lot easier getting out of synch. Don't expect to be running over speed 3, and certainly don't count on passing speed 2 during a war. Late game, with the increased number of POPs and goods it's almost unplayable if you're not physically in the same room. At least that has been my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Antinumeric posted:

Is it possible to remain independent as Navarre in EU3? Every time I play as them I almost immediately get conquered. Any tips?

Re-start until Aragon gets a vassalize mission on you, lose the war, use your fantastic sliders to get ridiculous trade income, rush Quest for the New World (switch ideas when you hit Naval 7), make a colonial empire. If Castille is winning (and failing to properly annex Aragon), you should have an easy time getting independence in the mid 1550s and even grabbing some provinces, otherwise wait a bit more. Then murder some Americans, some Africans, some Indians, some Southeast Asians. By the 1600s you should be in position to conquer your way into France and/or Spain.

Works in Vanilla and MiscMods, not EU3+, as that places additional limitations on colonial efforts and trade. You really can't pull this off without exploiting game mechanics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'm gonna say no for now unless theres a huge demand for it. I can't think of a place to put such a thing in the OP without breaking up its flow, and it would be really hard to come up with a list that most people agree on. For instance I would never in a million years suggest a new person play the USSR in HOI3 or USA in DH... but I'm sure there are people who have and would want them on the list. Then we'd either have a dumb long discussion over a largely arbitrary list (Brazil is great but Argentina is not because...? What does it have that Argentina doesn't?!), or a list so long, thorough, and useless that it eats the OP (the everything everyone wants on it approach).

Or I could be being dumb and someone has a really great idea for it and it fits in somewhere fine. But, I'm gonna go with no for now.

It fits with the description of the games, right at the end.

Paradox Game
This game is about this and that, et cetera et al, goons think this, go.

Recommended starting positions: blah, blah, blah. If a description is needed as to why, make it a three word explanation. There.

It is not an inexhaustible with over-elaborate explanation, it's not even a "best of", list, just some guidance for a question that gets asked a lot.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

To be fair, a friend of mine in a MP game once managed to misclick a peace agreement and lost a war he was winning, so you can't argue it isn't a viable strategy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Huh. Well, shouldn't be too hard to just mass remove all the factory poo poo I guess. That does make me curios though, I might try it. You'd have to create a bunch of infrastructure in the old Uncivs though I guess so there were existing goods...

^^ Just add in factories in some unciv...

Though it would be really wacky if that's all you changed, since you'd have the great British Unciv Empire stretching across the globe.

The problem is that the game needs eight great powers, and one can only be a great power if they are civilized and have at least two states, so the game crashes when it can't find any. Artesans can produce any and all missing goods, so that's a moot point.

In the Srbja-LP scenario I'm often guilty of not finishing (but one day will!), Europe is a broken backwards mess of dictatorships, theocracies and feudal rulers, while the most advanced nations in the world are in India, Iran and the Aztec successor states in America.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 6, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mister Bates posted:

Do you perchance have a download link for that scenario?

:toxx:

I'll have a beta public release by the end of the month.

One thing I'm adding is an event that should fire for a human player explaining the current situation and recent history for all major powers, and a regional description for the others, that should help with context.

A lot of the history of Srbja LP was actually the byproduct of bugged events/decisions added by its many many players, so I'm confident people will forgive a little bit of revisionism to make sense of it. And also some of the rougher edges (such as Bosnia being Not-Kroatia while keeping the same flag and all).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrProsek posted:

I may be wrong about this, but didn't :swoon:Srbja:swoon: end up with a unique religion for itself?

That LP was a Steppe Wolfe LP before there were Steppe Wolfe LPs :allears:.

Two, actually. It had a Syncretic religion that dominated the nation (mix of Buddhism, Greek Neo-Paganism, Christianity and Islam) and a Christian heresy that was mostly Orthodox that acknowledged Mohammed and had some pagan elements. Right now there are POPs with those religions, but not sure if I'll do more with that, since V2 doesn't do much for religion.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Coolodile posted:

Please add this educational video to the Hearts of Iron 3 segment of the OP.

HoI3 is the best Paradox game, hands down.

While you're on it Gorgo, add this lesser effort to EU3's description.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patter Song posted:

So here's a fun feature I recently discovered about the Steppe Wolfe mod to EU3 that I'm curious if any other EU3 mods use. It's possible to dewesternize, that is, for a Latin tech group country to, by decision, revert to the Muslim or Chinese techgroup. I discovered this by noticing that Hassa in one of my games would collect +3 Stab, go Latin tech, then collect 5 stab and go Muslim tech and got caught in a never-ending recursive loop of Westernizing and undoing Westernization.

Someone give that Steppe Wolfe kid a job as project manager already.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, so I'm finishing up the A Srb Divided Mod for Victoria 2: A House Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Mk. I and I happen to have a need of a few flags, because I'm terrible with image editing. Someone who's not terrible with flags please help me out here with flags for the following nations, or else they will have terrible flags found with Google Image Search or drunkenly photoshopped:

Kroatstralia, Kroatgascar, Contlazotla Aztec Successor State, Haiti With Albanians, Catholic Space Nazi Canadian Empire, Hindustan That Has Never Done Anything For the British Except Murder Them, Independent Mayan Nation, Nuova Roma Which Is a Bunch of Steampunk Italian-Americans with Rome Madness, Srb Flying Pig Republic of America, Serbia-Byzantium/Srbjztn, Srb Founded Pan-Afrikan Empire.

If you could help with any of that I will love you and even thank you and credit you as a contributor to "A Srb Divided Mod for Victoria 2: A House Divided Deluxe Beta All Editions and Future Revisions" .

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'll see what I can do.

Given that Victoria has alternate flags for other ideologies, I suppose you're also going to want Catholic Space Commies/Monarchists/Republicans? ;)

Yeah, that too. Canadians in this scenario are veeery catholic and see the Americas as a land ripe for a second round of crusades.

quote:

Are flying pig important here, or is it just a reference to the unlikelihood of a Serbian colony in the Americas? Help out those of us who haven't followed the LP!

Both, the Srb Republic was originally an elective monarchy ruled by a pig because they could not find a person everyone could agree on without a civil war, and so it became the symbol of the republic.

Thanks in advance!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if Paradox programmed in different values for rebelliousness for different cultures?

Not in EU3, but it is in Victoria 2.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I take back everything I said about how terrible it was to find flags with Google Image Search.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I guess my Toxx got me to work.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mokotow posted:

I start out as Sweden and proceed to build a cement factory. Cement is in high demand. Yet the factory barely makes even, and like half of it's stock is not sold every day. Other factories (liquor later on) are even worse. I just can't seem to grasp the logic of the products system. Also, does unsold factory produce go to the national stockpile? Does it hold over for another day?

Goes to the stockpile. Remember that demand is actually not equivalent to the ability to acquire goods from the market and your tariffs might be too high for those who are supposed to be buying the cement. Your factory is having problems with profits because you don't have ready access to coal (and your tariffs are making imported coal more expensive for the capitalists who own the factory), either conquer somewhere that has it or sphere them if you are a great power. Madagascar is a great source if you can invade them before France event-annexes the country.

As Sweden you probably want to build some Lumber Yards and Steel Factories, as those goods are always profitable and you have access to the materials. Your primary goal will be forming Scandinavia, so bite the infamy (but don't surpass the limit) and invade Denmark as soon as possible, ideally when they have their inevitable war with Prussia. Sphere Norway when you become a GP and then do the same to Denmark if they are still around and you're golden. Best way to gain enough points to become a GP in the early game is by researching Medicine and Romanticism, so focus on that as well.

Diplomatically you will want to cozy up with Prussia, Austria and the Ottomans, as they can help you fight Russia for your cores in Finland, which should cement your position as a Great Power for the rest of the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Average Bear posted:

Why is it every time someones posts one of these, western Europe is always a clusterfuck? France is ALWAYS collapsed, the HRE is still scattered, Poland/Bohemia/Austria is blobbing it up. You would think at least France would form or something.

edit: Talking EU3 in general, not EU3+. France should be a pretty powerful force, but almost always collapses without fail.

I think Paradox is trying to compensate for the pre-DW days, where Le Blob would consistently form and be the final boss for most games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We once managed to get to the 1790s in a MP game, but that was different, since players offer a more interesting challenge anyway.

I've had some singleplayer games that came to the end, most of the time I only finish them by switching nations in the 17th century or so, which provides a whole set of new challenges, including the beast of an empire I've made before. It feels like starting a new game in an alternate scenario.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I suspect those alliance chains will be substituted by the coalition system they have made vague mentions of, and that might debut in some form for March of the Eagles.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The real penalty of badboy was being unable to trade outside your own centers of trade after any conquest.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pretty much this, the AI in EU3 is very predictable and you can win against anyone as a medium power by using terrain and attrition.

AtomikKrab posted:

12 infantry 11 cav 4 cannon? That is not a good composition. never have more than 4 cav unless you are a horde.

Early cavalry has a lot more shock than infantry, so it depends on the period of the game. Early game you want to have as much cavalry as you can afford to without going over the limit, but as the game goes on you will want to keep only the four units for flanking in your doomstacks, and use more and more artillery, until you have nearly 1:1 of them to infantry by the 1700s.

This sort of optimization is only really necessary if you are playing in multiplayer, evidently.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A SRB DIVIDED DELUXE BETA EDITION Mk. I

Experience a disturbing vision of a 19th century where the white man is less relevant. The colonial empires of Western Europe have fallen and shattered, the Kaiser reigns supreme over reactionary Europe, while the Aztec successor states ascend in the Americas. In Tehran an industrial revolution promises to re-center the world and Asia rises to lead a new age of Imperialism that shall reshape the world. Are you a bad enough dude to lead your nation through the challenges of industrialization, revolution, world wars, localization errors and colonialism? Then boy, do I have a mod for you.

Compatible with Victoria II: A House Divided 2.31

Download!

Features:
-An alternate-scenario based on an award-winning* Mega-LP!
-No major gameplay changes! Easily adaptable to your favourite balance mod!
-Promise of future updates!
-Bugs?

Credits:
The forum goons Servant, Ramba Ral, Sniper4625 and ZearothK
sam. for creating the succession LP and the many, many players that made it what it was
Some content from Divergences and New Nations Mod

*No awards won

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mister Bates posted:

How the hell did Croatia end up in Australia?

Also, will this work with the A Pop Divided mod?

All the Kroats were deported to Kroatstralia and Kroatgascar by the one of Serbia-Byzantium's previous rulers, sometime in the 17th century.

At present no, it won't, but I might release a version compatible with A Pop Divided in the near future, as there is very little conflict between the files (APD is mostly gameplay changes while this is a scenario).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

"Nueva Roma"? In Brasil? Explain this one to me, please.

It was an Italian colony with a Rome fetish captured by the Aztecs. It may revolt and become an industrial SPQR in the tropics.

The LP had a subtitle of a "I have lost track of all these Romes", so that was a recurrent theme.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^
Thanks! I considered adding Teotl as a faith in the game, but since V2 doesn't really care about religions that was really low in priorities.

ArchRanger posted:

Playing the Srbja mod as the Maya, it looks promising, but it's kinda crash-happy, also the rebuild Mayan Empire decision seems to not actually do anything.

Hmmm... That must be a legacy decision from NNM, it was not supposed to exist since the Mayans already exist and they were the only nation to go democratic after the collapse of the continent-spanning Aztec Empire. That'll be cleared in the next version, thanks.

Are any of the crashes repeateable?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Westminster System posted:

Kingdom of the North, Metis Confederacy and Canada all spam the "join the confederation" decision incessantly.

drat, I could have sworm I had removed that already. I'll try to get a version out today that fixes that and anything else being reported.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A SRB DIVIDED DELUXE BETA EDITION Mk. II

Download

Update Mk. II - Jan 23rd 2013

-Events will now fire for most player-run nations, explaining recent history and current situation of their nation;
-Removed some legacy events and decisions;
-Added decision for Srb Republic to claim Contlazotla, correcting almost a century of injustice!
-Added Canadian Crusades;
-Catalonia is now a revolutionary republic;
-Sahel will no longer turn into a dictatorship in a day, England should remain one;
-Serbia-Byzantium now owns Hispaniola at the start;

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pointlesspart posted:

Is Croatian culture supposed to be localized as noculture in Sjrbyzantium? The Philippines have their cores set incorrectly, they are in the province history as PHL but the country history has them as PHI so they show up as a rebel flag with no name.

Nope, noculture is what happened when my HD died halfway through adjusting Srbjan POPs, thanks for catching those two.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChaosSamusX posted:

How do you play KaiserReich on Darkest Hour? Also, the Steam version seems to patch to version 1.02 and then stop - should I get one of the beta patches?

Yeah, you should. Steam won't update to beta patches.

Latest Kaiserreich is here.

[edit]And do remember you need to download both RC1 and RC2 beta patches in order. It can be kind of confusing when they insist on calling it "Unified" when you still need both parts.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 26, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Showtime posted:

Speaking of Darkest Hour + Kaiserreich, has anyone else had problems registering the game so that you can download the beta patch? I bought it from the Paradox web store a few days ago; Steam has no option to view my CD key and the Steam key mailed to me in my receipt doesn't work on the Paradox forums. I've put in a ticket, but while I'm waiting for a response I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and in exactly which way I'm missing something blindingly obvious.

You need to have Darkest Hour installed on Steam in order to see the CD-Key. I had the same problem when I bought DH there but already had it installed from somewhere else.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was going to make both of those jokes. drat you Paradox Devs! drat you to Hell!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Both of those seem great.

Wait, a Q1 2013 release for Heart of Darkness? For gently caress's sake, I've just finished getting this mod ready for AHD!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bulgarian_Empire

This is a thing in the expansion, it will be the best expansion.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nightblade posted:

I remember hearing 4% clergy in every state is the optimal.

This. 2% is ideal for research, but 4% is the target number if you want literacy. Also, rushing the education techs help greatly, and Darwinism gives a huge boost to education efficiency.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Srb Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Edition Mk. III for Victoria II: A House Divided

Download!

New, in this version:

Update Mk. III - Feb 1st 2013
-So many bugs fixed, dear god, I can't believe this thing opened without setting everything on fire;
-Added some localization errors;
-OOBs for French, Spanish and British Minors;
-OOBS for Maya, Syria, Croatia, and Sahel;
-Ops! Sahel is now Mali;
-Ethiopia and Bornu are now civilized at the start, to better represent their exalted position at the end of the EU3 scenario;
-Oman and Yemen are now civilized;
-Added several alliance blocs;
-Bohemia's name should now appear on the map;
-Mali and Spain are now at war for some reason?
-Fixed a bug that caused Serbia-Byzantium to have infinite prestige;
-Several map adjustments;
-Canada is no longer a socialist paradise;

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BBJoey posted:

Are you sure this was a bug?

Considering how that screenshot of Great Old Srbja was all the AI's doing, including the 350+ infamy, the only thing I'm sure of is that my computer is possessed.

Also, the system for the Mongols where they spawn with a single province and eventually become settled as regular countries, including the adoption of a major religion, would work well enough for the dark ages migration. Just mix that up with the system that turns Anglo-Saxons into English and you're good to go.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NihilCredo posted:

The greatest marketing pitch:

You seem to have misquoted.

quote:

[...]restoring ancient empires such as Rome and Alexander the Great - Macedonia (thought for history accuracy ancient Macedonians in the game are from Illiric culture, not Greek).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FadingChord posted:

I'm a couple betas back (for no good reason but :effort:) but I've never seen the Internationale win the second Weltkrieg.

1.4 has made it more likely for the Syndicalists to pose a credible threat. That might be because it seems more likely for Spain, USA and Russia to turn red. All anecdotal, of course.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vodos posted:

Any helpful tips?
How do I get the world's greatest power to make small concessions in a war?
How do I deal with the huge number of troops the UK can field? In EU3 I could use scorched earth on border provinces to make their stacks eat huge attrition, but I don't know what to do in V2.
In the battle screen their front line was much wider than mine, I'm assuming that's good. Is that a tech thing or an army composition thing? I was mainly using regulars with some cav/arty.
Can you even realistically get the UK out of India in the game's timeframe? It looks like even if I manage to liberate a couple of puttets and a region every war, I probably won't get there before the end of the game.

Attrition is still your friend, even if you don't have scorch earth (or desert provinces), and the AI is really dumb about it. If you see they are losing units gradually just let them siege your provinces, you can recapture your cores a lot faster than they can (and with a larger force limit). Fight a war of evasion until they have been sufficiently weakened by attrition, and only then face them on the battlefield. Tempt them with a small army in a moutain/river province and time your reinforcements to arrive one or two days after their army, so you have a decisive advantage.

The problem with fighting in India is that many provinces have high forcelimits and Britain has a lot of armies, so make sure your forces are stationed around the Hindus (for the defensive bonus from being at a river) and are large enough that the UK will be forced to consolidate their stacks into numbers that will suffer from attrition.

Considering how you are above the warscore, AI Britain would still peace out comfortably given time, as they will be gathering war exhaustion just from being at war. Be careful about inviting other GPs into your alliance as they will steal leadership, and may just give up your goals even as you are winning.

Something that might help, is that you can try to reduce relations as much as possible and try to bait Britain into declaring against you. The AI has the habit of not calling in allies, so you will have a much smaller opposition.

The thing with dealing a killing blow to Britain is that their POPs will gain militancy with each lost war. If the government is couped into a republic or dictatorship this will reset all their political relations, which means the puppets should go free and be easy pickings. Hell, depending on how the game goes that might even happen without you doing anything. But it's a long shot.

The first two wars should be the hardest ones, as each conquered region will net you a few million POPs, including a huge ammount of soldiers. After those victories you can just ignore badboy and start bullying everyone around you with your Indian locomotive. It's quite dificult and needs a fair bit of luck to get to that point, but it is possible.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^

drat, that would be great.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Is the closest thing to a proper Vicky 2 mod still A Pop Divided? It's awful.

A Srb Divided based on the Multi-Award-Winning-Succession-Something-Awful-Let's-Play :colbert:. Currently in beta. It is still missing some of the planned events and POP adjustments I intend, but is perfectly playable right now. Development has slowed while I drink myself silly over having to convert it to A Heart of Darkness any time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ArchRanger posted:

I found a rather annoying bug in this version; the game crashes every time I try to click on any province in Cuba, along with the provinces of Jamaica, Aruba, and The Bahamas. I tried a clean install of both the game and the mod on the chance that it was my install that was corrupted and it happens regardless.

Edit: Seems to happen in El Paso too.

Weird, I just tried it on my version and I couldn't re-create the crash. Maybe try regenerating the map cache? Delete the contents of "X:\Users\Username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\A Srb\map" and see if that helps.

• Locked thread