Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

How do you cheat your way into civilization? I have no qualms cheating a P-dox game (` 'cash' is my best friend) but the only cheat I've ever found that can do something about civilization is increasing plurality, which makes you gain research points slightly faster but it still takes loving forever.

Or is there somewhere in the game files that you can just flip "civilized=no" to "civilized=yes" or something?

Assuming it's anything like Ricky, it should just be a tag in the save file or something. I did that in my very first Paradox game by making Korea civilized. So much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

At first I thought that you meant "Swap every nation in terms of civilization", and laughed. So Great Britain, the USA, etc. are suddenly uncivilized, while the nations of Africa and Asia are suddenly civilized! 19th Century Imperialism in reverse!

The Scramble for Europe!

That sounds pretty cool.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just played some Kaiserreich as the Philippines. I did practically nothing. Canada hated me so I never got into their alliance, despite the Australasia Confederation loving the poo poo outta me. Russia went Soviet, so Germany got their poo poo kicked in, and eventually the Canadian alliance got called in (Germany ended up in their alliance, leaving Mitteleuropa as only Burma), but by the mid-late 1940's things had completely stalled, with nobody making any headway at all. I just sat there researching stuff (I was aiming for some Naval superiority, but I think I was absurdly behind the times anyway) and building some boats until I finally quit in 1951. This was also only the second time I saw someone other than the CSA win the war, with the USA winning, and becoming an alliance with the PSA and New England.

I know there are some mod-mods for Kaiserreich, are any of them good?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Also, try spawning revolts (showid, revolt [provinceid#]) in one of the countries fighting, it'll cripple their industry.

Hmm, I might do that to Soviet Russia if it pops up in another game, because when they go Soviet they become an unstoppable force that will crush all in their way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bishop Rodan posted:

That's only if they win the Civil War though, which I've only seen happen when Russia gets completely ganked by every event possible (for example, Siberia declaring independence forcibly while they're at war with the Soviets, forcing them to fight a two-front war).

Really? This game they didn't have a civil war, and Siberia didn't declare independence. I just looked up to see how Russia was doing (I think they might have been the empire?) and suddenly the north was red. I have seen the civil wars, but Russia seems to win that about half the time.

Edit: I'm playing the beta version, 1.4? Maybe that has something to do with it?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is there a version of the Dark Continent Scenario for Vanilla? I'm still learning the game but I want to poke around with an alternate scenario. Also, the idea of westernising weirds me out. I don't like the idea of having to end up next to a western nation, especially when it seems real gamey, like running to Africa as Korea so you can end up next to Portugal or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, what's the point of having monthly and yearly income?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Since I was playing a game of EUIII with the random map generator

Holy crap, that looks awesome! Edit: They changed how maps work for CK2, right? You couldn't port this thing over?

Are there any good alternate Westernisation processes for AHD? Because checking the westernisation mechanics it seems... absurd.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Are the Westernization mechanics going to change in Heart of Darkness? I was really excited for V2+ because I liked the way Westernization sounded there, but...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Thanks, I've been trying to find the exact stuff in the Azerbaijan thread and hadn't yet. I still think it sounds really, really cool.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just played a game as the Netherlands in Kaiserreich. It was the first time I saw Germany win the war with Britain and France, I joined in to liberate Flanders-Wallonia from the French, keeping htem a part of me to protect them (and I kept Lille). From there I rushed to nukes and ICBMs, and then joined Mitteleuropa, who were, for some reason, at war with Canada and the rest of the Entente (they had peaced out with the UoB earlier, Peace with Honor, I believe). From there, I lobbed some nukes at Canada, lobbed some nukes at a revolting Indochinese Federation, who somehow had a 32(!) stack keeping everybody from finishing the invasion. From there we were trying to crack the nut that is Australia, but my ICBMs couldn't reach. By 1959, I had bought Haikou from Germany, upgraded my air base and infrastructure hoping to get some ICBMs down there, but I couldn't, for some reason? I don't know. I settled for nuclear bombing runs with planes hoping to soften up the beachheads for my buddies to invade.

Then my saves got corrupted.

It was actually pretty cool, this was the first time I played a more developed nation, so I had a bunch of IC, was able to make more IC and not have it take forever...

Quick question though, sometimes I choose a nation that has construction 1890 or whatever, and there's no place that will let me build IC? Is there some tech I'm missing, or infrastructure? I played as Afghanistan, and Ethiopia, and nowhere could I build some, but the Philipines had one province that could.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Amazon sells the GG versions of Vicky 2. It would be absolute bullshit if they suddenly switched to Steam.

When I bought the Plentiful Paradox Bundle from Amazon I was able to register Vicky 2 on Steam.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

PC Gamer has a preview for East Vs. West. EVW Preview. Still mostly talking about war, but it does mention a few other things, and the politics screen looks like Vic2 to me. I can't remember if it was shown off in a Dev Diary though. Still excited for it though.

Edit: I hope messing with reforms and liberties is easier than in Vic2 though. I haven't played too much (I don't have HoD), but it just seems so... counter-intuitive. Move all your soldiers out of the capital and let the revolutionaries take it?

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 25, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, the crying baby sound makes both my aunt and my cousin start looking around all confused.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Don't buy expansions from GamersGate if you have the Steam version, presumably. I agree that GG is amazing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bulgaroktonos posted:

A question, since I missed most of it.

I looked over the Paradox Forum, and the inhabitants were up in arms over the Magna Mundi cancellation; I'm a bit unclear. What was the difference between MM and a regular EU3 mod?

25 different pirates and people poo poo-talking you behind your back. (I actually missed most of it too)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWsCobcGtCk

An interview with Shams Jorjani and Fred Wester where they talk about the potential for EU Rome 2. Skip ahead to 3:30

Ouch. Maybe they should just hand it off to another developer? Surely somebody out there could do Rome 2 well, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It's odd, I'm not terribly interested in Antiquity, but for some reason I really want a good Antiquity game/mod. I know there are a couple Antiquity mods for CK2, but I don't think any are done yet.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Continuing with interface design for the Modern Age Mod:

Well... it's a start.

Well, the tabs at the top look pretty hideous, but I kinda like them, they look like the little colour coded tabs in a binder, I assume that's what you were going for? Also, love the minimap.

Edit: Maybe make the writing on the tabs up top black?

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 21, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Nozzle posted:

Richard Nixon.

"Henry says this screen controls economic policy. Use the sliders to cut welfare rolls and make the bums get a job, or leave it on 'automatic' and let the Jews down at the Treasury take care of it."

"We've got to keep our national 'Dissent' value down before it is allowed to sap our morale. We can't let the goddamn longhairs and dope dealers disrupt order and blow up our campuses."

I have never played a Paradox tutorial, but if this happens I will play that tutorial so much.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I know I should probably stop being amazed at people on the internet being complete assholes but I am still :psyduck: at people rabidly complaining that the free copies of CK2 Paradox is giving out with EU4 preorders don't include all the DLC. On the other hand these are the same people who preorder games and then get outraged when it goes on sale a few months later so I suppose at least they're consistent with their complaints.

The only DLC I'm disappointed it doesn't come with is the portrait packs, but then again, I am such a whore for the portrait packs that I want everybody who gets it to have them. I love them all, even the Mediterranean pack.

Also, did they say they were going to announce the next CK2 DLC this month? I could have sworn I heard that, and that it wasn't the CK2-EU4 converter, but I can't find where I read that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, sorry to bring this up, I could have sworn I saw this, but I'm not certain where it is now, but from CK2 to EU4, does it convert heresies? I thought I saw somebody say that it would convert heresies as the parent religion, and I wanted to be sure.

Edit: vv Ok, thanks, I was just wondering what would happen to my Nestorian Timurids when I converted.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 4, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

We're getting a major DLC with the next patch, right? I thought I heard something about that, but the customiser doesn't sound major (though cool!).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

How is the save converter working for you guys? It keeps on hanging on me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I am angry about Kaiserreich, but I think a large part of that is Europa Engine limitations. Are events purely limited by country in the Europa Engine? I decided to try out Syndicalist Ireland (and had pretty much zero events), so at the start I used 'freedom' and moved everything over. Of course, when the International came around I was ignored. When Syndicalist revolutions happened, I couldn't send aid like the big boys, France refused to let me into their alliance ('acceptall', assholes), and I ended up quitting when Ulster revolted and I couldn't put them down because I was trying to build IC (I guess I'm not good at the game). I'm not quite certain how combat works, my 1 group of 1921 infantry lost to their 1 group of 1918 militia, and their other group of 1 1918 militia won against my 2 groups of whatever the gently caress garrisons (after the battle was going in my favour for a long rear end time).

One thing I don't think is a Europa Engine issue is every loving event notice popping up. If any significant event happens, I get two dozen popups telling me what every single country in the world selected. I don't remember that being an issue in previous versions.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

All fair enough points, I suppose. I guess I'm trying to play it like other Paradox games? I keep on wishing there was more internal politics. Although if they announce HoI4 and the trailer is just "Darkest Hour in Clauswitz with some UI bits from more recent games" I'll be going through my neighbours couches for change. :smith: Paradox broke me, I think.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Trujillo posted:

There are already a ton of events in kaiserreich. The events may burn off in the first four or five years of the game but there's still a lot, and most if not all with custom event pictures. Making alternate alternate events to accommodate people cheating their sliders for every little country would probably have taken ten times the work and time for something 99.9% of people playing it aren't going to see. But sorry to disappoint.

Yeah. Well then, what is a good small country? I had a lot of fun with a Netherlands game, it had few events but plenty of IC so I could do things, but almost every other country I choose has no events, or only seems to get events when I'm not playing them. I do love playing the game though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Played a bit as Spain. Is the revolution scripted to always happen? You'd think that if you had open elections they could at least hold off until after them to start trashing the place. And then the elections get cancelled because of the war and everybody gets upset, the ungrateful bastards. Also I still don't quite get combat. It seems to take forever to get anywhere, and halfway through another army will show up and even though they're significantly smaller they'll wreck my exhausted army and start the whole thing over. I assume armies move faster in owned territory?

How is Ukraine? It looks like they might have some interesting events to work with.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kavak posted:

To avoid the Spanish Civil War:
1. Praise Xavier and don't piss him off.
2. Don't do anything to the FAI.
The event chains that set off the war won't fire this way. Then you can get to the elections and pick whichever country you want to play as (The Kingdom of Spain's events might not be firing right, though, but I don't think they really do anything post-war anyway)

Huh, I chose to let the FAI do whatever for those boosts, I must have pissed Xavier off.

Kavak posted:

There are some serious bugs with combat right now. Go into the misc.txt file and go down to MISSION_ATTACK and MISSION_SUPPORT_ATTACK and make sure their efficiency is 1.0 (100%). That should fix some of the problems, though we're still working on it- I think the speed values for infantry and such need to be upped to Darkest Hour full levels.

Ah, thanks, I'll try that out.

Kavak posted:

The Ukraine's fun- you can put Nikita Khrushchev in power and join the International, though that option depends on a German event.

That does sound pretty awesome, I think I'll try them out at some point too. I take it you're one of the developers?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Are the DLC and patches team the same?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh drat that was one of the best EU3 mods, I'm so hyped for this DLC.

Also, Kaiserreich is the best videogame. In what other game can you get Baron Roman van Ungern-Sternberg to declare himself the reincarnation of Genghis Khan, proclaim himself TKZ Genghis Khan II, and do this?

:smug:

You haven't conquered Japan yet. And don't go complaining about "typhoons" or bullshit like that. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That America would be fantastic for the Fallout mod.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, I'm getting close to the end of my CK2 game, and looking towards the EU4 conversion, but I want to make some changes outside of Europe just for the Hell of it. I'm thinking the easiest way to do this would be to create the new nations I want and then use that Clausewitz Scenario editor to put them in, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

fermun posted:

Armstrong is an unfortunate ESL mistake by Paradox. It was supposed to be Strongarm, a CK2 republic-esque game about controlling a Mafia dynasty.

Wasn't that game CK2: The Republic? (I would play a Mafia game like CK2)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kavak posted:

I do not know. The Map of Abominations E3 Map Project is trying to do this for Darkest Hour- of the three modules I know of using it, only one (Turning Point) would actually benefit from it. The other two (Fallout and To End All Wars) seem like overkill, and none of the developers have posted in the latter's thread since November.

I dunno, that map would work great with the Fallout mod, especially since it only takes place in America. One of the biggest problems with the Fallout mod as-is, using the HoI2 map, was that many smaller powers controlled too much, or couldn't be in the right place since an area with several powers and several hundred miles was only one province, and even the Darkest Hour map only made things slightly better.

Is To End All Wars developed by one of the people working on Mod1914? And is Mod1914 supposed to use the E3 Map Project too? I think it is, unless I'm missing something. What's the point then?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Westminster System posted:

Are there any modding tools out there for EU4 that are a must have? I've just done a conversion, but theres a few little changes I'd like to iron out without text file madness, though if it comes to that its not the end of the world.

The Clauewitz Save Game and Scenario Editor worked pretty well for me, but I didn't do anything like add countries or stuff, so I couldn't tell you how that'd work.

Edit: vv I'd like to hear that too, since I think it goes all the way down into Ethiopia.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 2, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I like that map where countries are colour coded by how barbaric they are (dark = bad obviously) and London and Paris are literally shining with pure white civilising light.

I loving love that map. Every time I look at it I find some other new little bit of racism. Just last night I looked at it and noticed that Italy and Greece are only civilised, rather than Enlightened like the rest of Europe, and Russia is Barbarous except in the cities which are Enlightened. Also, western North America is labelled "Unsubdued Indians."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

Playing an old version of CK2+ with Wiz we once discovered a wormhole between the Baleares and Morocco due to a patch that had changed some province IDs.

I thought it was somewhere deeper in Africa and Poland?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was just "roleplaying" as a Paradox forums poster. :saddowns:

I don't see the problem, both options seems to mesh together well just fine. I'm pretty sure the people who complain that the Clausewitz games are baby games for baby people, don't actually play the games to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So I found this. Is this as insane as it sounds? I think it might be, but drat if I don't find myself intrigued.

• Locked thread