Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I'm a long time Paradox fan, but I never got into HoI since its complexity was very daunting to me. I want to give it a shot though, and I see that HoI3 + all DLC is on sale for $12 on bundlestars. Is that worth the price, or should I just spend the :10bux: on DH instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Play as Germany first. You get to control the whole pace of war, and you start out with a really easy one against Poland, then slowly increasing the difficulty with France, Britain, and eventually the USSR. Just don't make the same mistakes as Hitler, like attacking the Russians in winter before finishing off Britain. Also, Darkest Hour is very biased towards infantry. It sounds odd, but even as Germany the majority of your force should be infantry with a motorized infantry vanguard. Finally, you start out with limited manpower but gain more with each mobilization event. However, unlike HOI, your manpower refills far too slowly to be of use. Consider your manpower limited and increasable only by event.

I just got this game yesterday and played as Germany. I followed the historical events: I annexed Austria, followed by Czechoslovakia, created the puppet of Slovakia, demanded Danzig from Poland and went to war with them. I've conquered about half of Poland, but now France and the UK already DOWed me, what gives? Aren't they supposed to patiently wait for me to invade them?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Oh, derp. I guess I got my history wrong. Seems about right then!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Heh, I managed to annex Poland before Russia got a single piece of it. I guess they don't care, either? Time to move West!

This game is pretty cool, but it is kind of overwhelming and the interface is god awful.

e: Oh, nevermind. Russia is demanding their half of Poland now. I guess I should do it?

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 20, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

So far I'm enjoying stumbling my way through DH and gradually figuring out what the hell I'm doing (and getting my rear end kicked by France), but there's one minor thing that really irritates me: there are no names drawn on any of the countries. I know it's stupid, but one thing I always loved about Paradox games was the way names were dynamically drawn across each country, it made it feel more like looking at a drawn map. Is there a mod or something that adds that?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Anyone know a strategy for playing communist China in DH at the 1936 start? They seem like they're pretty much hosed. In my game I'm losing money, can't get above 4 IC, and I end up automatically allied with the other Chinese states when Japan invades, so I end up sitting around until Japan inevitably rolls over me because I can't keep my armies adequately reinforced.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Yeah, in Vicky 2 I just totally ignore the economy and let the AI do it for me. They need to come up with something more intuitive or at least fun to deal with, otherwise may as well scrap it altogether. Does anyone actually play the economy by hand? Just seems like a giant mess to deal with when I already have to worry about tech and diplomacy and war stuff. The production system they've shown off from HoI4 looks pretty cool, I bet they could do something similar in V3.

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm gonna stick to "I hope they make a V3, at all."

Paradox said in a reddit AMA about 12 months ago that Vicky 3 and Rome 2 are both due before 2020.

On that note, is Heart of Darkness worth picking up? I only have a House Divided.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Are we all doing dream lists? Let's all do dream lists.

For a theoretical V3, I wish there was somehow an ownership-on-paper sort of status that provinces could have, claimed by a civilized country (or just GP) but effectively controlled by an unciv. Maps of the early 19th century tend to show neat lines for the US-Mexico border, despite plenty of Indians being everywhere and effectively acting as a buffer zone in some instances. The on-paper thing wouldn't be exactly the same as a regular core, and other civilized countries would treat the on-paper claim as the actual border of the county, but in practice there'd be an unciv there stirring up all sorts of trouble until the Indian Wars happen.

Hmm, with de jure and de facto map modes? I can get behind that idea. Would be especially applicable to Africa.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I used to want a Victoria 3 but after reading this thread I think I changed my mind.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We weren't talking about parties/politicians supporting disenfranchisement, or people voting for those to make others lose the vote, but people actually voting for parties which supported their disenfranchisement.

I'm guessing you're not from the USA? This is a thing that happens constantly; that is poor people vote for Republicans because AMERICA/Jesus, despite the other half of their platform being smashing the poors.

e: and literal disenfranchisement with things like voter ID laws

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Are they updating the save converter so that it'll work with the new EU4 map or is that planned for later? I never really used it much since it always felt kinda janky, and generally boring to bring over my superblobs.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

A bunch of really powerful bonii given to a few AI countries to encourage some mid-tier countries to pull the gigantic weight they did historically (though you can set it to randomise which countries get the lucky bonus) and to make those countries pose a viable late-game threat to competent players. It is half the reason you'll see people having PTSDs about France, since it's already in a very good position at the start of the game, and the lucky bonus turns it into a continent-swallowing juggernaut almost every time unless the player intervenes early on.

BONUSES, jesus christ :barf:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Paradox devs have repeatedly said they won't do a game set in modern times. Why not? If they could somehow combine the elements of CK2, EU4 and V2 (and HoI I guess) they could easily cover 1945-2014, or gently caress it, why not extend the timeline to 2300 and get some Star Trek poo poo going on. And instead of colonizing the new world you'd colonize space. :getin:

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 4, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

DStecks posted:

Indeed, why not attempt to model the Israel-Palestine conflict in a video game, especially when their fanbase is already notorious for making nationalistic mountains out of molehills?

I know, the only thing worse would be if Paradox made a game where you could play as Hitler.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I mostly think it would be awesome if Paradox did a space game, but based in the near future. I want to play as the USA and fight colonial wars against Russia on Mars.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Of course not, but you were wondering why we didn't instead make a gameplay prototype before starting on the art and I'm pointing out that we had to start the whole project at the same time with the assumption that it would work out rather than making a barebones proof of concept first.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions :v:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

This is why you use the term, "developing countries." Also your entire argument of there being such a thing as social progress, and placing infrastructural development as a key marking of how developed a country is, is patronizing on the one hand, and imperialist garbage on the other hand. Like I'm not trying to say that poo poo is good for Afghanis and Somlians, but there is no objective metric for determining how developed a country is, so just say developing countries so you can avoid the unfortunate racist/imperialist implications from the term third world.

By using the term "developing countries" you are still using western countries as an objective metric for comparison, so it's not really any different.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Well the terms were originally based on political alignment, but maybe third world sounded too much like third-rate :v:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

The term african american is actually more offensive than just saying black people. I've literally never met anyone that uses the term except stuffy white people who want everyone to know how not-racist they are.

edit: Anyone remember at the Olympics one year some black British guy won a medal (I don't remember the specifics) and the guy interviewing him was some American dude who asked him how it felt, as an African American, to win the gold medal. The guy said something like, uh I'm not African or American.

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Dibujante posted:

I pre-ordered immediately after making this post. I've been watching it for a while.

$50 for early access?? :vince:

Looks cool though.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Ugh don't early access. It's $30 for the game. Also they have a one-hour LP that shows off a simply gorgeous art style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v?Do-RQpQ3rDI

Yeah wow, the art is really impressive. Looking forward to this release!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Civ 5 is pretty fun, sorry grognards

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I hope HoI4 gets a WWI expansion, and alien invasion DLC a la Sunset Invasion

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I think I read somewhere that the devs said it would be possible to do a medieval total conversion for Cites: Skylines. Someone do this, and also add CK2 stuff to it, tia

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I personally think it's a bad idea to act like the holocaust never happened in a video game where you literally play as Adolf Hitler, but that's just me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I think podcat is just a holocaust denier

• Locked thread