Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Stealing the crisis system from Pride of Nations, the naval combat system from Hearts of Iron, and using newspapers are good ideas that I will pay 20 dollars for, but I wish there was some attention on the economy.

Now if I can pick and choose which papers to subscribe to, that would be lovely. Pinko commie rags!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

From the dev diary. What is this?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

quote:

Fence-sitting powers may chose to declare themselves for one side or the other on their own, or the Leader of either side may attempt to bribe them into supporting their side by offering them war goals Vs the opposing leader

It is a shame it is designed this way, please reconsider this restriction. The crisis system can't represent the Pact of Plombières if Sardinia-Piedmonte can't offer to give Savoy and Nice to France.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I would prefer if the "you can't mass produce the giant fuckoff ships of the era using random backwater spots" rule was handles via having cores/population levels/naval bases instead of land connection to the capital/naval bases. That mechanic works in Europe but not for 1930 Great Power Indonesia/Philippines/Malaysia.

In fact I don't like "land connection to the capital" used as anything at all.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
This book, on how US schools (fail to) teach history (and exactly why they deliberately do it) might be of interest to Paradox players.
http://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Teacher-Told-Everything/dp/0743296281

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Moving away from Ubikchat for a while: EU4 dev diary mostly going into detail over how peace negotiations will work.
"aggressive expansion relation penalty"? What was wrong with infamy?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Keisari posted:

You mean infamy as a term or infamy as that arbitrary number that if you crossed even a little bit poo poo hit the fan? Nothing too much with the former but drat the latter is horrible. EU4 no longer has that counter and that's probably one of the best things about it.
I meant as a term. I assumed they had just renamed infamy based on the screenshot from that latest Dev Diary.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Do the crisis leaders never offer bribes to a human player? I declare my interest in the crisis, but I never get my sweet sweet bribe. I have to join for free to avoid the prestige hit?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Raneman posted:

As a secondary nation how do you escalate to a great power without war? I'm playing Belgium and it seems like I start to lose hold around 1840 or so because I can't keep up in military or prestige. I know prestige can be improved with cultural poo poo but how do I keep my ratings for the 3 rising enough to hit rank 8?
Kill brown people.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I've forced Russia to free Poland. And free Lithuania. And free a chunk of Poland-Lithuania. But I regret the Poland-Lithuania, they have cores goddamned everywhere and won't ally my Germany because of it. Be a little more grateful you jerks.

wukkar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 12, 2013

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

You could use "showprovinceid" to well, show the provinceid's
This exists? I've been opening the country files. :doh:

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
You passed on the one of the best states in the game, Bohemia?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Whenever this has come up previously, the answer has always been: Balkan nationalists. Or, to expound: modern history is highly contentious because it's still going on and people feel very strongly about it. We don't have the distance to take a properly historical perspective on it, and they don't want to deal with the enormous shitstorm that would inevitably descend on them were they to attempt to model something like the breakup of Yugoslavia.
This is also exactly why American history classes barely covers anything after WWII!

book: Lies My Teacher Told Me posted:

... Consider how we read an account of an event we lived through, especially one in which we ourselves took part, whether a sporting event or the Iraq War. We read partly in a spirit of criticism, assessing what the author got wrong as well as agreeing with and perhaps learning from what they got right. When we study the more distant past, we may also read critically, but now our primary mode is ingestive. Especially if we are reading for the first time about an event, we have little ground of which to stand and criticize what we read.
Authors of American history textbooks appear all too aware ... of the fact that teachers, parents, and textbook adoption board members were alive the recent past. They seem uncomfortable with it. Revering the distant past is more their style. By definition, the recent past is controversial, because readers bring to it their own knowledge and understanding, so they may not agree with what is written. Therefore, the less said about the recent past, the better.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Our capitalists have constructed a glue factory

I think you mean glue factroy.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Darkrenown and Johan should have read the SA ToS which they agreed to when they registered here more closely. It never said that by posting on here, they weren't legally giving us ownership of their wallpaper. :smug:

I have some great ideas for what wallpaper you should install instead. You are welcome to come check them out in my mother's basement in Portugal.

wukkar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 17, 2013

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Considering the amount of paradox staff that joined SA and goons that were hired by Paradox it's like we're pretty much got a royal marriage going on here. Where is the bad blood coming from? Is Castellon sending an insult to lower our relations out of fears of a personal union forming or something?
Use the mouse-over tooltip.

Wasn't someone making a CK mod with the internet as the world?

wukkar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 17, 2013

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Or maybe something that's completely off the wall, like a space 4x, but more of a grand strategy game. I would kill for Galactica Universalis
Galactica? It will be named Alpha Quadrant Universalis. Then that choice of name will be claimed as valid justification for the rich and vibrant Gamma quadrant civilizations being barely playable.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Johan Andersson's Alpha Centauri II.

I'd be OK with this.

wukkar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 23, 2014

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I think that a political simulator where you play as a political party (as opposed to a dynasty or a nation) would be a really interesting and fun game-- set it in the late Victorian through Cold War era. Playing as a party within a government would be a little like playing as a vassal of a country in CK2, in that there'd be a lot of internal politics and campaigning and such to manage, while the ruling party handles the foreign relations and international politics. They could combine the pop system, political campaign system, and various events to create an election game where you try to raise awareness and build support among various pops in order to get your party elected. They could even have various personalities (something like combining the ministers of state and generals in HOI3 with some of the personality traits and character-related events of CK2) that could have effects on your party's success, internal politics and so forth.

That would pretty much be my perfect fantasy PDS game.
The Political Machine http://store.steampowered.com/app/211120/ might scratch this itch, and is only $3.99. It even has you painting the map your color!

wukkar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 16, 2014

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
HOI4 is ... actually looking good? I am rock hard for this. Especially if multiplayer and the Battle of the Atlantic are done right.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Beamed posted:

Except for when a great power sides with a secondary power, and no one backs the target of the crisis, so the crisis just peters out. :v:
Seriously, if 4 great powers want Greece to split off and the others shrug, it should happen.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

The bloody war of Castillian Succession was practically decided in the battle of Madrid, where our 1000 troops were almost unscathed whiled fighting 1000 Burgundian troops who suffered some losses.
That whole history page needs to be redone or thrown out. It classifies forming a colonial nation as "xx,xx,xx,xx and xx provinces were lost during xxxx's reign".

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I would absolutely love a mode/DLC for HOI4 which essentially does an Advanced Tactics: Gold and randomises or produces a multiplayer balanced map.
They kind of tried that in HOI2 http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/index.php/Armageddon.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Freudian posted:

Call them Movers and Shakers. Have a set number alive at any one time, recruit a new one from a random POP when one dies / falls out of Popularity (see below).
This smells like Great Man Theory. Just give me a cold hard geopolitical simulator please.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
You must wait a month to enact that decision, your FührerMana must be replenished!

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Just have the first thing the German player sees upon loading be the Danzig or War event popup. Starting in '36 is the problem.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Gort posted:

Hoping for Civilization: Paradox Edition.
A certain Portuguese man tried this, and ended up in an insane asylum.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
This is all an elaborate focus group so they can answer the question of what game they should make next. Everyone reads these vague as gently caress tea leaves to be whatever it is they were hoping for.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If I can't click a button labeled Attack Pre-Industrial Natives with Orbital Laser Cannon then my preorder is canceled.

And why does every space game feel compelled to do a ship designer

wukkar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 7, 2015

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

podcat posted:

some weeks back USA came out of the depression as communist EVERY TIME :E
What percentage is it now, roughly?
What IRL outcomes do you consider to have been aberrations? Was Communist China out maneuvering the Nationalists 'lucky'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I could not be more hard for HOI4. Why the hell did they announce it like 3 years in advance?

• Locked thread