Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Take whatever command you used to add to your stockpile, and remove whatever you gave yourself? The console commands usually accept negative inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yep, that one is vanilla, and awesome. I think there's another one about one of the famous comets of the time, and the text talks about how this would have really freaked people out in the past, and the option text is something to the effect of "Thankfully we live in truly Enlightened times!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And the whole time while while he was fighting Burgundy, and leaving tiny stacks all over the the place to get chewed up, he left 5 regiments just sitting uselessly in Aquitaine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

Though, seeing him play, I have to wonder about at what game speed people play the game. In Paradox games, I typically play at the highest or second-highest speed and pause to give armies orders and do stuff in menus, while in Quill18's videos and the streams we've seen from Paradox, they seem to pause much more sparingly and play on a lower speed, and frequently give armies orders while the clock is running. Do lots of people play this way, or are they just playing that way because it's more entertaining to watch than pausing a lot?

I'm with you; I usually set it to max speed the moment the game loads, then pause when I need to give orders. Precision work is done by unpausing for single days. Very occasionally I'll take it to the second highest speed if I have a wide front to watch, but in EU you usually don't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That is the key to it all; there has to be some reason why any old European power can't just immediately ship 5000 men across the Atlantic and immediately gently caress up all the natives. There's no way an early colony could possibly support those troops, and it would be implausible for them to be immediately beating the natives on their home turf.

Then add DHE chains for the fall of the Aztecs and Incas I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kavak posted:

Like what? I don't really see how Syria has a higher potential for offensiveness than, say, Afghanistan, unless someone tries to make a minister somehow based on the civil war.

Hekmatyar as saviour of the Afghan nation!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BillBear posted:

They used the statistics on the survey you saw when you boot up the game. You had to option to take part in it.

How many people actually use the launchers? First thing I ever do is create a shortcut that just launches the game directly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Which one of CK2 and V2 was "expected" to be a sales failure? I imagine that it was actually neither of them, since Paradox wouldn't have invested in it, but I remember there being bets of headshaving involved if a game sold well enough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

Mostly the AI just won't take useless provinces in the first place.

This alone would be worth EU4 existing. Thank you ever so much.

Now I just need someone to confirm that the Ottomans will actually prioritize taking Constantinople.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

UI Dev Diary posted:

AI does not have any attrition on the sea, just like in Europa Universalis III.

Still couldn't figure this one out eh? Disappointing, albeit pretty minor.

Does anyone know if they've mentioned the AI knowing exactly where your ships are at all times? It was both really weird when you noticed, and also made it incredibly easy to bait the AI once you did.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Watch Quill's videos, he dwells on the loading screens long enough that you can tell what's changed with the 1444 scenario. Mapwise, the biggest change between 1399 and 1444 is the collapse of the Golden Horde into several smaller hordes.

And the die back of the Timurids, which gives the Ottomans a lot more breathing room at the start.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

If there is natives still around when the colony becomes a city, basetax and mp is increased scaled by nativesize.

Excellent choice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Decided to get a Roman Empire CK2 game ready to convert and ended up taking over almost every county on the map and have over a million levy's. There is still around 200 years of game left. I don't think that will be very fun to play in EU4. Will probably convert it anyway just to see what it is like. Wonder if Byzantium DLC will work for Rome too.

Indeed, definitely convert and play as someone else. Someone in India or the Far East would be fun, or even a New Worlder, and you can try and Sunset Invasion your old empire, although that last would will likely require a lot of effort. The EU3 Iroquois let's playAAR where the author rampages over all of Europe is awesome though. Have to see if I can find that.

e: Well, that was easy. Searching "EU3 Iroquois AAR" brought it up as the very first result. I give you The Audacity of Hope.

e2: Seems all the images are on photobucket and not available. How lovely.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 5, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Nozzle posted:

Any other interesting ideas?

Build up a Kievan Rus that can withstand the Mongol invasions (assuming they haven't already triggered). Keep it Norse I guess too?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Was that even MM specific, or did that come out of SRI?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Spiderfist Island posted:

You have to remember that the guy doing the Byzantine AAR almost managed to succeed in an Iroquois world conquest playthrough for EUIII, and the only reason he failed to do so is because he hit the end date with only ~80% of the world controlled. In contrast to Quill, he's an expert at the system-mastery style of playing Paradox games. He's not a typical player, for better or worse.

Are this guy and PrawnStar the same guy? Or is there a different Iroquois near-WC game I'm not aware of?

I too just worry that the Ottoman AI will never bother to attack Constantinople and they'll survive for forever. It should be the #1 target for the Ottoman AI.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Byzantium is up against the wall, and the Ottomans are going to keep on coming. Just discouraging them isn't enough, Byzantium needs to end the threat eventually, otherwise the Ottomans are going to get their shot when the Austrians inevitably invade its allies.

Especially since the Romans aren't just some neighbor to the Ottomans, like say Albania. The Ottomans had basically spent the last 150 years trying to bring Rome down and replace them.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 7, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kainser posted:

Paradox should make an Europa Universalis FPS where you are a conquistador conquering the Aztecs conquering Europe.

FTFY.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zotix posted:

What would be the easiest start on the demo? I wasn't that into CK2, because the family line stuff didn't interest me, but I enjoyed the rest of the game. Just never gave it more than 20 hours. I am planning on getting EU4, and have the demo DL'd and waiting until I get off of work in a few hours to play. What country would be the easiest start for someone who is completely fresh to the game?

The Ottomans are pretty easy. You're crazy rich, so even if you got armies killed you could just hire more. But you won't, because although it looks like Aq Qoyunlu and the Mumluqs are your military equals, they totally aren't, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the sweet leaders you get, maybe it's being in your own tech group; either way you cut through them like butter. If you sprint up to military level 8, you'll trounce just about everyone. I lost a big battle to Muscovy only because I was overconfident attacking a larger stack with my 4 shock ruler. Then I get there and their general has 6 shock. I guess all that steppe warfare pays off.
:black101:

They actually seemed to be running a little coalition of states up there too in addition to their vast army; very promising.

Fintilgin posted:

Also, religious conversion was ludicrously, hilariously fast. 10-12 months for provinces in Greece and Balkans. WOOSH! SHAZAM! YOU'RE ALL MUSLIMS NOW! :stare:

Yeah, that was really dumb. Once I boosted to +3 stability, I was doing religious conversions in 20 months, which is utterly ridiculous. The Ottomans really need a mechanic where it pays off for them to not go all out converting Christians.

Love the monarch points though, those seem to be a wonderful idea.

Trujillo posted:

Trade nodes look completely moddable. The paths they take, names, locations, provinces and control. Not sure what the last one means though. Haven't really messed around with trade in game yet.

I think they've said before that the network is completely moddable. It doesn't change within the game, but you can change it to whatever you want.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vaos posted:

With their Unique National Idea that gives +33% Religious Unity, you can stop converting at some point as is it isn't that necessary when you reach 100%. No tax bonuses for other religions however.

Yeah, I understand you wouldn't have to, but you have 3 Missionaries just doing nothing. I can't help but convert them so they won't be uppity if poo poo gets real, apparently even if it's a demo that only lasts 30 years. I think they need to find a way where there's some benefit from not converting them, or even if converting provinces was a big hassle. Which it probably should be really.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

"Don't attach to me" button is on my todo.

Wiz, you're the best.

Even though it's annoying when they attach at the wrong time, the attachment thing really is nice. As the Ottomans I was using 16k armies for no other reason than convenience, and was wondering if I should bother combining two armies to fight the Mamluqs (in retrospect I don't know why I hesistated, since the split in half button works so well; I guess I was just feeling extraordinarily lazy). All of a sudden Crimea marches their 16k army down and attaches it to my stack. :getin:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Ottoman mission to attack the Mumluqs is crazy powerful as well; it's a claim on every province they own. I was able to grab the entire Levantine coast in one war. I just hope the AI knows how to use it.

Also, now that badboy isn't a thing anymore, is there still one place to see the effects of all my aggressive expansion points? I was starting to get hammered with events for -25 prestige because of being a warmongering jackass (which is awesome), but I have no idea what triggers that, and consequently if there's still a limit you're supposed to be under. I was attacking everyone at every chance I got, so if there was a limit, I was probably over it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hmm, that might be it. I was definitely above 100% overextension for a while there. Didn't seem to really hurt me though, beyond those events.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Involvement in coalitions didn't seem consistent though. When I was snapping up provinces from Venice, they started a coalition that Aq Qulunlu and the Mamluqs and some other folks joined, but then everyone left a few months later. Two years after that, when I snatched 6 provinces from the Mamluqs, they all joined again.

I'm not sure whether it was me coring provinces that made everyone drop out the first time, or whether they had bigger fish to fry. I wasn't really paying attention, since even all of them together didn't really phase me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rejected Fate posted:

I do, it's the one thing I always remember.

I'm always on the attack though, I think that might be the problem? Or maybe army composition. I do just tend to click rough approximations of what I think I can get away with when building armies.

Check what stats the opposing general has? If the enemy has a 6 star shock general, he'll chew you right up, unless you have one too.

Attacking in and of itself shouldn't be too much of a problem. Do you use a model army composition at all? I'm guessing not, since you say you're just clicking stuff, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out something that works OK. In the early game, you basically want as much cavalry as possible, since that's what does all the work for you. The infantry are almost just cheap filler designed to soak up damage. But you can't have more than 50% cavalry in an army without taking a big hit to effectiveness (unless you're a horde).

I usually stick to armies of 10k/4k inf/cav, or 8/6. Something in that neighbourhood anyway. Seems to work fine. Add units as the opposing armies get larger, but you don't really need to worry about that in the 30 year demo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

No, since AE is relative to each nation. You can see the AE effect on each nation in their relations tooltip though.

I think the events you mean are when you are at war and have a high WS but aren't making peace.

Yeah, that's sort of what I thought about AE. I definitely found it for each country easily enough. Though I think RabidWeasel had it right, about it being my 100+ overextension. That certainly fits with what I remember, while my WE was quite low all the time. I certainly appreciate the suggestion though; it's fantastic so many of you are here and willing/able to be part of the community.

No matter though, I'm sure I'll find out for real come Tuesday.

Darkrenown posted:

Also, one of the naval ideas, or maybe the group finisher, lets your fleets repair at sea.

Good lords that sounds awesome. I have to hand it to you, the ideas and the monarch point system seem fantastic, since I actually find myself stopping to wonder which one is the best choice at this very moment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So is it possible to mod an endless trade loop? Like, everything's running west-to-east? Or better yet, bidirectional? Are endpoints necessary?

I wouldn't be surprised if making the trade routes into a closed loop crashed the engine quite frankly. It would depend on how they implemented it though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Things I learned from my Austria game:
  • Gods drat the princes of the Empire love them some wars. And I clearly don't understand the Enforce Peace mechanic, because I could not for the life of me get them to stop their petty squabbles.
  • It's incredibly frustrating that if you declare war on some minor (for instance, to liberate an annexed Princedom), and another nation becomes the war leader defending them, you can no longer negotiate with your original target, and the new leader doesn't have the option to release the nation you wanted to free in the first place.
  • It's super easy to let your number of diplomatic relationships get away from you. I was wondering why I didn't seem to be accumulating diplomatic points, and it turns out I was automatically guaranteeing all the minors I was releasing, giving me 12/6 relationships. That was dumb.
  • Missions to force PUs on Bohemia and Hungary are great, and probably unbalanced as all hell. Also, the Hungary one should probably require them to actually be bludgeoned by the Ottomans a little before you can do that, otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
  • I love that the PLC is forming all the time, despite the fact that "The Commonwealth" is a stupid name.
  • Sweet Jesus Monarch points are well done.
  • I really want to play more, which is a damned good sign. This one was even more fun than my Ottomans game. I know I could hack the demo, but I play by the rules I guess.
  • There really to be an notification when somebody replaces you as vote leader for Cardinals. I saw the "new Cardinal So-and-So is in the curia, loyal to France, with X votes. You invested (X - 10) votes." message at least three times. :negative:

Walliard posted:

I'm guessing that to determine the default effect of trade power, it needs to know which way is up or down between any two nodes.

Yeah, that engine must run some sort of graph search on the network when the game starts up, I'm sure it flips out if it starts hitting nodes it already passed.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 10, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vodos posted:

You have to have at least +100 relations with one side of the war, then you can use Enforce Peace on the other side, they'll most likely tell you to gently caress off but it then pops you in as war leader on the other side.

Hmmm. Is there a reasonable way to do that with an appreciable amount of the Empire? A surprising amount of them seemed pretty pissed off at me for grabbing not very much stuff. I hadn't conquered anything outside the Spanish Netherlands, Venetian HRE land, and the Italian Ambition areas. That it itself made all but a few of the AIs go to either threatened or hostile. I was having a tough time even giving away electoral titles; I freed Mainz just to give it back to them, then they didn't want it.

After that I force PU'd Bohemia. They really didn't care for that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Allyn posted:

Did the Holy War CB get removed from EU4, or is it me?

I saw the PLC use it against the Golden Horde at one point, so it must still exist in some form. Wasn't available to me as the Ottomans against the assorted Christian nations though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've felt really sketchy about the whole thing and have avoided doing it because it feels so slimy. I'm surprised people are openly talking about it here. No wonder the devs stopped posting for a bit.

Quite so. I pre-ordered ages ago, so I wouldn't actually gain anything that I won't get in two days anyway, but they gave us a demo on the condition that we only play 4 countries for 30 years. I'm going to respect that because I respect them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

The link is super cool, but I'm surprised at how small is the chinese slice of it.

A little bit of bias is how.

I also like how at no point is Spain ever larger than England on that map. It's barely larger than Portugal in it's heydey.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I dunno, the EU4 demo didn't seem all that different from EU3.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trade powers your economy, which allows you to hire higher power advisers, which provide monarch points, which power tech.

But trade powered your tech directly in EU3, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Enjoy posted:

I was asking if the exchange of ideas and technologies that occur during trading would be modelled

Ah. It appears not.

twig1919 posted:

I see that worked so well for them. I prefer to get the power then take the money. Europa Universalis isn't like victoria where 100000 troops will lose to 10000 if you are out teched.

It certainly can be the case, at least in EU3. Stacking discipline allowed you to get away with some crazy poo poo. A late game Prussian army with that Prussian decision and max-quality could shred through a force much larger than it, even European armies. I was routinely beating forces four times my size in Europe. It was downright sad when I took the army to China.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Aren't you supposed to be able to do that, if you get 100% war score?

No. In EU3 you couldn't take a capital unless it was either a full annex, or the capital was isolated from all other provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We were talking about EU4 though? I've managed to take Lübeck from the Hansa, and it's obviously not isolated from its other provinces, and screenshots and videos have shown Austria taking the province of Venice without taking the rest. I don't know if there are other rules in play as well though, which there might very well be.

Is it isolated just by land perhaps? In my first game tonight, I definitely had to isolate Novgorod before I could take that province, and I had a mission to take it. Maybe you need a legit core?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The hint function isn't bad either, you can click on stuff and it tells you about that particular function. Didn't help me with my missionary strength question, but it's nice that it exists.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Really, really bad. The EU3 ones didn't even work after the first or second expansion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

New worlders are played out. It should be Kongolese or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I stand corrected.

• Locked thread