Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Alchenar posted:

On the other hand the CK2 AI appears to have a much better idea of whether a war is winnable or not.

I've found that AI will sometimes refuse to surrender until 100%, but other times will surrender as soon as 20%. The rule seems to be that they're way more likely to give up vassal-held territory than their own demense, and seem to give up more easily if they have other wars going on.

Other topic: I just bought EUIII Chronicles at the tail end of the steam sale, so I'm looking to get into that. I like to play as my ancestors, but that might be difficult given that they're Scotland (doomed), Wales (not even a country probably), and Milan. Is Milan viable for a first-time player, having only played CKII before this?

Also, is there a set method to convert CKII saves to EUII, or is it more of a by-hand process? I'd like to see how my Dublin->Brittania game fares in the age of exploration, but it might not be worth a lot of effort.

Lastly, just to check: OPM = One-Province Monarch, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

Are royal marriages just a waiting game, in the hopes that somebody will have a weak claim, our is there anything I can do about it. Not having my CK2-style murder button makes me feel a bit listless here.

I'm guessing the game will eventually give me a mission to take Aragon and become Spain, judging from the missions I've gotten so far. Is that about right?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Looks like I should keep pushing centralization and marrying Portuguese and Aragon...ian people for a while. But I at least conquered Morocco, which helped my prestige a good amount.

Ray and Shirley posted:

This is pretty much the Great White Whale of Paradox mods/tools/games.

Are there even any tools to convert between games, or is it still pretty much a by-hand thing?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Does the AI in EU3 ever give up on missions? I'm playing as Castille, and I just got a "get good relations with Portugal" mission. Of course, Portugal has a mission to take a province from me, so they're not having any of it. Is there anything I can do here beyond "wait five more years for a new mission?" (My previous mission was also dumb and I skipped it.)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Those songs are a bit old-fashioned, aren't they? Should go for something a bit more happening, like this one: Vive Henri IV. I really do agree though, and I would love to have EU4 really capturing the music of the different periods throughout the game.

Looking through the CKII files, there's a songs.txt that seems like it might let you do this. Currently every entry looks like this:
code:
song = {
	name = "songname.ogg"

chance = {
		modifier = {
			factor = 1
		}		
	}
}
Maybe it's possible to put in year-based modifiers, so they turn on and off for the correct time periods. I don't know much about modding or Paradoxese, so I might be reading it wrong. But, EUIV is running off the same engine I believe, so I imagine anything that works in CK works there too.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

run DNC posted:

Have more boats that the other guy and you win 99% of the time.

Is there any advantage to having little boats, if you have the money to build big ones?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Honestly, reinstalling EU3 with Chronicles and playing about with it for a bit just reminded me how empty the game feels. There isn't really anything to do except spread your colour over the map. Everything you do between wars is really just twiddling your thumbs and building an army for the next war. The contrast with CK2 where there's always something interesting going on is vast.

I'm liking the comeback of dynamic narrative forming in EU.

Going to EUIII after only ever playing CK2 was weird for exactly this reason. Castille was only interesting when I was fighting wars, and I built up so much infamy that all I did for a while was sit around fighting inflation while I waited for it to go down. Venice was just a confusing mess, since I didn't even have that, and my only strength was my (automated) merchants. I lost interest pretty much the instant the Republic DLC came out for CK2.

If EUIV ends up being less deterministic than it looks (or there's a Level Playing Field mod), it will be exactly what I was expecting out of its predecessor. A functioning CK save converter would help a lot, too.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Well the super-secret project is either something new or something old. If it's something new then it obviously could be anything (dinosaurs). If it's something old then the rotation of IPs would make HOI4 an obvious option.

Of course EU:Rome is a game that's halfway between EU and CK in terms of themes, so having just made a CK and an EU game would put Paradox in a good position to rebuild that game based on the experience of the two preceding. Also releasing a game called Rome 2 at the same time that CA are means being able to ride on a crest of games media interest.

Not to mention, if the rumors of expanding CK2 backward in time for the Viking DLC are true, they could use the sequel to move EU:Rome's end date forward, so you could actually run an unbroken campaign from whatever BC through to the end of the Cold War (eventually).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

CK players: How lofty are your goals and how much ... stuff do you do when playing the game? I think part of my issue is that I always feel like I always need to be constantly expanding and setting up marriages and seizing titles and all that stuff, and then I get frustrated when I don't have CBs and no one wants to marry me. Maybe I should play a game where I just mostly let things happen to me and react?

My goals when I played as Dublin consisted entirely of "blob relentlessly." Forged claims, de jure wars, eventually learning the intricacies of black-widow marriages to claimants, holy wars, everything. My current game goal is "figure out how republics work," though tonight I will probably abandon it for a muslim republican CK2+ game, where "form the Islamic Republic of Italy and get a monopoly on Mediterranean trade" will be the goal. There's always picking a hard starting point with the goal of "survive," if you feel like hanging out in Axum or Eastern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Bloodly posted:

It's interesting that only relatively recently are the Paradox forums people really looking into CK2's combat and realising that there is significant power possible.

Wait, are you saying that they've found more than "get more cavalry, avoid crossing straits and doing amphibious landings"? That's the only conclusion I've gotten to.

• Locked thread