Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Does anyone else want a Vicky III? I'd really like to see one given the EUIV treatment with rationalized gameplay mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

DStecks posted:

AMATEUR GAME DESIGN HOUR Re: making Victoria 3 work.

The Victoria series has such potential to be an ungodly clusterfuck of features, that if you want it to be manageable you need to pick some gameplay system as the "primary" system, so that everything else in the game is defined by how it affects that system. CKII has this with the title system, and I believe that the best Victoria system to build the game around is the economy.

I've always felt they could have three core mechanics: demographics, economics, and diplomacy. Have these three and their interactions with each other and the player be the core of the game. Everything else in Vicky really boils down to these things.

They really need to completely rethink their colonization system as well. Large swathes of territory existing as nothing until colonized is silly.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's going to be very difficult to model the military advances in terms of tactics in any Vicky game. I can only hope that they at least move away from the system they have now for raising armies where they build regiments per province. That's really irritating.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Complexity does is not always equivalent to fun. Vicky needs to be less complex, not more. It needs to be a crisp, focused gameplay experience. Crusader Kings II should be the model here, not Magna Mundi.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That and Italy was super cool and organized and beat the depression and was better than the western democracies.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

SeaTard posted:

Yep. It took me over a year after the eu4 beta ended before I wanted to play it.

It's funny, I feel the opposite way. I enjoyed and wanted to play EUIV on release, and now a year or so after release I have no desire to play it because of how bad it's gotten.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

I hear they've 'dumbed it down'.

I feel that's it's become convoluted rather than simplified. I never really understood the "casuals vs real gamers" argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

simonwolf posted:

Does anyone have an idea why it's impossible for me to log in to the Paradox forums now? It doesn't recognise my email/password as being valid, and every time I try and reset my password, it claims "something went wrong, try again later". I'm not seeing any information in their forum help section, and I assume I can't make a new account since my CD keys are all registered to my old one.

If you find a solution, I'd like to know as well. Same thing has happened to me. I eventually gave up and just stopped using the forum.

• Locked thread