Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If I read the Dev. Diaries right, they are doing that.

Developer Diary 1 posted:

Some story types also come in multiple versions to avoid repetition, while others can be skewed by the ideology of your ruling party or by the laws of your Nation. For example, when a Communist newspaper reports that Communist rebels have overthrown the government in another nation they will write a much more positive story than a Conservative nation's paper. Another possible example is a nation with Censored Press may not reveal the exact number of losses when it reports on a lost battle.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I realize it won't do this in vanilla but it'd be really cool if some enterpresing modder could make the "Press Rights" decision reflect what appears in the newspaper and how critical of the government it is. But that would require a shitload of work.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is there a way to mod in reforms in V2? I'm kinda curious if there has been any attempts to tackle Women's Rights. I can see it being rather difficult since PoPs are PoPs, but I think it could be an interesting event path or decision tree to add on.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Heart of Darkness Patch Notes for 3.41

- PoPs designated as "female" will now receive 75% of male PoPs' salaries

Geez, what are you, a pussified feminazi? They'll only work when men are off doing more important things like slaughtering natives, and they better be loving happy with 25% pay and a pat on the rear end from time to time.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 13, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

All I was thinking of was a little boost to consciousness and a hit to militancy. Just trying to work POP productivness and such seems like a troublesome mechanic. In retrospect it seems kinda odd that there isn't a distinction between U/R and M/F, considering how dynamic those struggles were during that period.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 14, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Should I use Prince and Thane or CK2+? Has anyone tried the new Elder Scrolls mod?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is it possible to get canals in other places, or more specifically, Nicaragua? It was the prime location for the Atlantic-Pacific Canal until William Walker pissed off the British...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Just Curious. Is Zionism implemented in V2 in any way? It may be too political for them to deal with, but from my limited understanding this time period is around the time when there was a rush of land buying in Palestine... I'm thinking it would be an interesting dynamic in my hopeful Arab Union game.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Zionism only really convalesces as an ideology towards the end of game timeframe and didn't really make any practical progress towards it worth modelling.

It seems like V2 is really the only game that can depict it. I was picturing events where you were approached by an organization asking if they could buy land for settlement giving you some cash, some immigration and a increase in research points, while also causing a small increase in militancy and consciousness in the native population. Then the event could escalate with more offers of land purchase which could culminate in either nativist revolts or in separatism for the settlers. I'm not a modder though and really don't wanna start any political bru-hah-hah on the Paradox Forums.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Sort of related. How do you survive the Orient Crises? The Ottomans sort of started destroying me, and I didn't think I could pull in any Europeans...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It seems like the POP mod has also been updated for the beta patch.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Qwo posted:

I hope you're at least able to sustain the colonies for a period of time. God, imagine CK2 Vinland carrying over to EUIV! Yes puh-leeze.

Wah ha ha. With an alternate Uber-Viking Europe and Vinland, I can finally recreate GURPS Midgard for Europa Universalis.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Alright, so I'm playing an Argentina game in HoD with NMM and AoP and I'm stuck at how to get out of the Presidential (Military)Dictatorship. I've tried to fight obnoxiously long wars and raise huge taxes but to no avail. How can I become a beacon of freedom for my tasty, tasty immigration bonus?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kersch posted:

Are there any 'must-have' mods for Victoria 2? I seeing people suggest the Pop Demand Mod quite a bit back before I started playing the game, but I also remember seeing people say it screws up military units by giving them stats they shouldn't have, or something like that.

It is a.. very ambitious mod. But as of now, it is messing with the map terrain that is causing some pretty bad attrition. New Nations Mod and Age of Politics are good intermediates (at least until PDM is fixed a bit more).

It's also added some trade goods that can unbalance an economy that you are used to working fine in vanilla Vicky2.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an EU3 mod that lets you reform the Roman Empire? (and not just the Byzantine Empire)

I think MEIOU also allows you to do this for a select number of nations.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It seems like most Goons here use D&T. Is it really better than MEIOU? I guess I'm kind of a shallow aesthetics person and I can't stand the default EU interface. Does it have things that really set it apart from MEIOU?

Edit: On the topic of mods, has the Age of Empires mod (or whatever that American Colonization 1700's mod is called) been updated for HOD? I've been really wanting to try some alternative American colonization.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 27, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Victoria is a pretty good game, and at this point I think Paradox's second best game, but yeah the civil war mechanic that worked in this way would be a huge improvement in that area.

Do you think it is a moddable thing? I can see that being something the PDM looks into trying.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

LordGugs posted:

I've been playing Kaiserreich for a while now and just finished a game as Brasil, so I gotta ask what countries have really cool event paths, Does MittleAfrika have cool stuff happen to them because it seems like an interesting country but they end up never really doing anything.

Uggh. I can answer this question way too well.

You can try to centralize the Austrian Empire. You could play as the German Corporate state in South China and then, after following a certain event path, form the Republic of China or better yet, play as the Religious state (can't remember the name, the neo-Taipangs) . The Indian States are fun, but they don't really have an "ending" yet (there is no real events after unifying India and I yearn for Milites India pack). South Africa has some "imperialist" events and can chose just about any alliance to support after their election events. Mexico has some events that can let you beat up on America and I had a fun game as Nationalist France once, though they don't have many events. You can make a new Caliphate as Turkmenistan.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

Those provinces are mind-boggling horrific.

Hey, I see the good ole' Brazos County in that there Americas map. I poo-poo on you for saying this grand region of maybe 30'000 around the 1940's as being unworthy of being included in a game of grand global strategy.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is it possible to mod a flagchange event for Victoria 2? I kinda like some of those fascist flags, and I want them for my ending screen...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Uggh I'm sure this's been covered but, I'm playing as the Ottomans and just had a huge Jacobin Revolt that I let win. And now I've got LF with no Capitalists. How do I get Capitalists? I've heard to not use encourage capitalists but I don't know how else to get them to promote.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

One more Capitalist question; Capitalists in one region will build things in another right? Like I don't need to promote Capitalists in Bosnia for things to get built there?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

victoria2/history/countries

Big big list.

Province IDs are also in /history, organized by region.

If you need the province Id's ingame, you can just use showprovinceid in the console and it shows the id in the tooltip.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Does the AI suffer from attrition in vanillia (with More Nations)? The Brits just jumped in on my war (as the Ottomans) to unify the Arabian peninsula, and they are marching a 60-70 unit stack around the the loving Rub-Al-Qali with no skull showing attrition. Does it (the icon) just not appear for non-player nations?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Does a fully democratic (ie I can't change the elected party) HM's Government get an immigration bonus like an actual "democracy"? I'm playing as Mexico and had a Jacobin revolt, then triggered the Empire of Mexico decision, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't of done that...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

OK, so in vanilla/NMM Vicky 2, Manifest Destiney should only fire if America managed to annex Texas right? Cause in my game as Mexico I managed to keep Texas and I just got the "Sell your land north of the Rio Grande to the US or we will invade" event and I'm a little confused.

Edit: And I really don't wanna have to fight off the US every 4 years cause they got magic cores on half of my territory.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 14, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

edit: didn't read fully

Edit2: So would I have to start a new game for it to take effect? I've tried to put it in both potential and allow and the event's still fired... I've also tried just deleting the invention allow and the Texas Exist.

Edit3: I think I fixed it? I made it NOT={ MEX = { AI = no }} under the allow section

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 14, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Chief Savage Man posted:

Different cultures should really only go where there's credible separatist movements. Brittany, Catalonia, Scotland, and Flanders/Wallonia would be good choices. There's no real separatist movements in the United States in this century.

http://texasrepublic.info/

Proof that Texan should still exist as a Culture?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Danimo posted:

That Texan exists as a separate culture from Yankee/Dixie in the base Victoria is pretty silly. I like it out of deranged historical patriotism, but it'd be more realistic if Texas were primary culture Dixie and had both Yankees and Dixies.

That was kinda what I was joking at. I didn't really understand why it existed except from a game-play standpoint of giving the RoT a Primary culture that wouldn't let them go on a North American conquest spree.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

This is exactly my order, though I haven't played HoI yet. I like the EU franchise, but the other games interest me more.

That being said, I would probably be able to die happy if a modern geopolitical game from Paradox came out. It's probably why I'm working so hard on the modern age mod for Vic 2.

I would really, really kill for an actual Cold War game. It'd probably be one of my favorite games of all time. One of my favorite things about the Kaiserreich mod is how it captured moral relativism and proxy wars. I like the idea of power blocs spreading Ideology through subversion, and find the actual warfare bits kinda boring.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gently caress you Paradox. I've got no income and only $90 in the bank and I had to pre-order this :argh:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So, I was browsing the EUIV wiki, and stumbled upon this National Idea for Aragon

Protect the Little Folk: Morale of Armies +0.25:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Once we have an actual modding forum, we will have supplanted the entirety of the internet.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How modable will game-play be in EUIV? It seems like the mechanics can lead to some pretty interesting game-play mods.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Friend Commuter posted:

It's supposed to be balanced by you paying a small fee for basing rights, multiplied by how many coastal provinces the rights-giver has, but that doesn't make up for the silliness of getting naval access from the Maya to colonise the Americas. Of course, now you can conquer native provinces and core them in no time flat and colonise from there, I guess you don't need to bother.

Maybe if it was just Vassals or Allies it would make more sense. I can see the reasoning, maybe to give non-Atlantic powers colonies without having to arbitrarily conquer Gibraltar or Morocco.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

In non-EUIV stuff. Does the encourage _ Industry national focus do anything? Like, at all? I'm really bad at National Focuses and never know what to do with them.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

For anyone still playing Darkest Hour, are there any mods besides Kaiserreich and Hohenzollern that are worth a look-see?

The Democratic or Communist Germany mod was fun, though I'm not sure if it's still being updated

Edit: Beat.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Patter Song posted:

I think I've found the worst CSA borders.

Wow, did the CSA actually survive the war? No CSA I've ever seen lasted more than a year in the civil war, even when I cheated and spawned revolts in USA.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

It doesn't really do internal politics, as in, at all, but Emperor of the Fading Suns definitely doesn't reduce its planets to zero-dimensional, mono-climatic and mono-cultural points. It's got full-scale surface maps and everything;

Planetary invasions are a bitch. :unsmigghh:

(No, I will not shut up about this game. I don't care how broken it was, the concepts were amazing and someone needs to pick them up and run with them. :colbert:)

EDIT

It's a great tRPG setting too. Too bad the new version is turning into a shitshow.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

The only downside to doing this is that you miss out on awesome communist flags. I've turned multiple free, democratic communist workers' utopias into Proletarian Dictatorships solely for the flags.

A flag change event would be really awesome. I feel bad for admitting that some of those Fascist flags are pretty rad and I don't wanna 1) Have a fascist revolution and 2) wait till the 1900's for em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Danny Dravot posted:

Gee that's super, any chance you want to elaborate?

It'll be great if you want to play as an East German Prussian Monarchy during the Cold War which will invariably turn into a hot war.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 28, 2013

• Locked thread