Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

Did someone post this and I somehow missed it? SEast VS West Preview by PCGamer

Last one I think we've seen before. The others though, the first makes me thing the map looks a lot more Crusader Kings 2-like for some reason, and the second makes me think of Victoria 2. I see leaders are in the game, like in HoI3. I can't see the religion and religious laws from the DD so they may have been removed or put somewhere else. I do like the National Ideas though, that seems like it could be kinda interesting. Also it seems the National Democratic Party is a party you can try to get into power, so you can play a Nazi Revival game! :razz::hf::hitler:

You know, other than the second screenshot making me want to tear my eyes out for some reason, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was. Still way too much focus on combat for a cold war game, and I haven't seen anything about how they would model guerrilla warfare or if I can use commando raids and set up CIA/KGB sponsored dictators in third world countries, which worries me because that's what I want in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I discovered gold in one of my provinces as Imperial Japan in 1836 and now my poor taxes suddenly raised about 1000% and are now £1000/day. :psyduck:

Apparently there's enough gold to make 250,000 gold miners insanely rich.

Yeah, Japan really doesn't have any trouble with money, the Kobe gold mine will make sure of that. In AHD, I would run -25% tarrifs just for shits and giggles, because that one mine supplied more money than I knew what to do with.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

The biggest problem is really that it requires 10-15 minutes just to start up, and another 2 minutes per turn. The game is really, really unoptimized.

But of course, it's lack of success is due only to Paradox's decision to sell it for cheap instead of asking $60 for it, which Wargamers need to feel like they made a good purchase. You have no one to blame but yourself Johan!

Wait, is that the actual logic that they used when breaking away from Paradox? They actually thought that the only reason their games weren't successful was because of they were too cheap? I what :psyduck:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Statue of Liberty being some kind of population changing device sounds like something out of a dystopian novel. Though considering how most of my games of Victoria II end up, that sounds pretty accurate.

Do the French even get anything from firing the event? It sounds like something that is pretty likely to bite them in the rear end, especially if America decides that the French would look better if the country were occupied.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Is Vic2 enjoyable without HoD? That's my last real concern before buying it again (Steam's version isn't ported to Mac) and Paradox has no plans atm to port HoD to Mac.

I'd say that HoD is pretty drat essential, it fixes a lot of problems, and now it's possible to actually beat the British Empire. The only problem right now is the AI releasing everything as dominions so there are no pretty borders in Africa, North America or Australia, but a little bit of conquest fixes that problem right up.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Same here. The Hohenzollern and Texas LPs are what got me into the games in the first place.

The only reason I even considered getting HoI 3 was because of a few crazy AARs I found on their forums, and I'm pretty sure that I've spent more time in that game than in Vicky 2 and EU III combined. Though I know I'm pretty much alone in that opinion.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Necroneocon posted:

HOI3 remains the unloved stepchild kept in the basement.

I think that's because I'm the only person who actually plays HoI3 for fun.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

If HOI3 is in the basement where is Rome? :ohdear:

Rome was kicked out ages ago, it's living on it's own behind a dumpster.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Necroneocon posted:

Are there anymore updates coming to HOI3 or has it been sent to the prisons.

I'm guessing there's nothing major in the future, Finest Hour is probably the last major update HoI 3 is going to get outside of mods, since the game (mostly) works now.

Of course, EUIII got a 5.2 patch long after I thought they abandoned it, so maybe we'll get lucky and get one update more. Ignoring the fact that 5.2 was in beta for ages before it was officially released.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

So, uh, I'm having an interesting bug with the AI in HoD with the latest NNM.

It's even worse in Russia.

Anyone know what's up with this? It's no wonder the AI has horrible industry scores, they're spending all their money turning their entire country into the maignot line.

Sometimes I do that when I have nothing else to spend my money on, like when the laissez-faire liberals get elected and I end up just sitting on millions of pounds with nothing to spend them on.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

This is actually 3rd place at best for me, maybe 4th. 1st for me is without a doubt the goddamn paperwork war that nearly got half the generals executed for fraud, 2nd is whole battalions going into combat unarmed due to translation errors. It competes with the casualty reporting system the Chinese used (honor system AND you get rewarded for kill reports). Oh also don't forget that Lin Zexu thought the British wouldn't go to war with the Chinese because the British needed Chinese rhubarb so badly that they would die of constipation if trade stopped.

Oh also those monkeys are like the most meticulously recorded part of the entire goddamn war. We may not know even what language half the troops spoke but we know exactly where every single one of those monkeys was from the day they entered the military to the day they died.

Seriously it's the craziest goddamn poo poo.

:stare: I knew they had gotten curbstomped, but that sounds more like a comedy of errors than an actual war.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

:words:

What is the difference between Artillery Attack and Artillery Support? If I research this technology then my military tactics will improve by 25%. What does that even mean? And even if I work out what the primary effects of technologies are, there's a whole second layer of inventions that do things but the game doesn't tell me whether those things are important or not. Also I have no idea why I am and am not allowed to intervene in one war or another.

Well, I have no idea what the difference between artillery attack and support is, but I know that military tactics is essentially the amount of casualties you take in battle, with a higher number meaning you aren't going to get slaughtered in droves. Most of the time the inventions are just things that either give you access to a new factory or increase prestige. As for intervention, you can only intervene when the defender hasn't added any wargoals, you are a great power, the defender is losing and I think if the attacker isn't in your sphere of influence, but don't quote me on that last part. I think you can always intervene if the defender is in your sphere of influence as well.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

It might be cool if future titles with that level complexity had an in game "combat sim" where you could design a unit of any arbitrary tech level/org/whatever and throw it against any other arbitrarily designed unit (on a province where you could define terrain and fort level) and it would spit out the results of like a hundred combats.

Then you could tweak your unit and try again.

Let the player play with the stats and techs in a contained environment to understand them in a deeper way than just shooting for Bigger Numbers.

It's a lot harder to get a sense of this stuff while you're running hundreds of units of all different types in a giant war. Even a good tutorial or explanation only goes so far. In a game as complex as HOI3, I think some sort of in game combat sim would go as long way in helping players who really wanted to understand the system better.

(It might even help reveal bugs or oddities in the combat algorithms.)

Last page, but if that feature were in HoI IV I don't think I'd even get around to playing the actual game, I'd be too busy just trying out different unit compositions and seeing what works. It's like a less time consuming version of what I already do when I'm trying to break HoI 3 over my knee.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kersch posted:

I'm trying to figure out if there are smart ways to use the national stockpile that I just don't know about yet in Victoria 2. I understand stockpiling military goods so you can recruit new guys more quickly and be prepared for a war that maybe cuts you off from part of the world supply, and I can see how it'd be useful to stockpile maybe iron, machine parts, and cement if you're just about to finish westernizing and want to toss up tons of factories as soon as you can.

Is there any point in stockpiling consumer goods, raw materials that are just components used by artisans and factories, or other items that are generally just there to fulfill needs for pops?

The only time I ever used the trade screen for anything other than checking the price of things before I build a factory was way back in Vanilla Vicky, where I would stockpile something expensive and rare like tanks or airplane parts and then flood the market for shits and giggles and watch the world economy collapse. Other than that I don't see the point of stockpiling anything except for maybe military goods, and only then if you end up in a situation where most of your explosives are made by your enemy you plan on declaring war on. Though you should make sure something like that doesn't happen, nothing worse than trying to build an airforce and realizing that all the airplanes are made by the people you just declared war on.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Does Steppe Wolfe count as an antiquity mod? I've had fun with it, because it's the most beautiful trainwreck I've ever seen.

also

Nightblade posted:

In my latest Japan game I westernised sometimes in the 1840s after annexing Dai Nam. China was their ally and I beat them up so bad they fell to reactionary rebels shortly after. All the substates became independent and..

:getin:
Japan has got to be the one of the best nations to do a world conquest with. Has anyone tried it in HoD?
:monocle:
The Greater East-Asian Co-prosperity sphere is doing much better than expected it seems.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I think I've found the worst CSA borders.

Still better than that time Jerusalem decided to take the middle of England my first game of CKII.

They didn't even have the decency to actually hold Jerusalem proper.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Three years of playing this game and I still don't have the faintest idea of how capis think.

Well, there's your problem. Capitalists don't think the same way you or me do, they operate on a higher level. They know that even though it might seem that the free market demands liquor, in reality what it needs are more cars, planes and steel, even though there is twice as much supply as there is demand.

In all seriousness, I think that they look at the price of the goods over the actual supply and demand, or maybe they're just on all that opium I'm growing and think everything is a great investment. It's part of the reason I almost never go away from State Capitalism, except maybe to go up to interventionism to just subsidize the gently caress out of my carefully built economy. If I go laissez faire then half my factories end up bankrupt and the capis decide that the world requires more steel.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderfist Island posted:

OK, quick question for the thread. I accidentally stumbled onto the fact that Hearts of Iron II and III are both on the Mac Appstore, with their expansions included as well. If I were to get one for a laptop, which one would be best in terms of overall gameplay and mod support? In most paradox games I prefer to do as much bullshit diplomacy and espionage as warfare, if that helps narrow things down between the two.

The smart answer is Darkest Hour, because that's like HOI 2+ and can get the Kaiserreich mod. HoI III is only good if you really want to find out what micromanager's hell is, and while it is really ambitious most everyone agrees it's not as good as HoI II. Except for me, since I've sunk like 400 hours into it according to steam because I am weird like that. It does lack mods though, the only ones I've played that were actually "fun" (this is if you think HoI III is fun to begin with) were the WWI mod and the Historical Plausibility Project. The latter one is great though, I've never broken a game in half so easily before.

EDIT: D'oh, beaten like the Byzantines.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I never realized that the state borders were so ugly until I saw them rendered in true Paradox fashion. I really want to download that mod just to fix that little problem.

Through conquest :black101:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of those features would be nice to have in the next HoI. I always felt that in HoI 3 especially espionage was really not as useful as it was historically, and because it's so focused on wartime anyway it would fit right into the timeframe you normally see in HoI.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

I think basically every time HOI3 comes up I end up promoting the Historical Plausibility Project mod, but yeah, replacing leadership as a province resource to something that comes from "prestige" based laws is basically the best thing about HPP.

I do like the HPP a lot, but it can be hilariously easy to game the tech system because theory techs are so powerful. I completely maxed out the Human Wave doctrine while playing as Communist China by '40 because I was spamming human wave theory and getting my weak militias into near constant fights to build up my land experience, as well as keeping up a war against Nationalist China to make sure my delicious 500% or whatever it ended up being modifier to manpower never went away.

Then again, I haven't played since before Their Finest Hour came out, so maybe I can't break the game over my knee like that again, which would be kinda sad. I liked controlling most of Western China as :china: by abusing the hell out of the doctrine system.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Great War: A Victoria Game sounds way better. Or maybe something that's completely off the wall, like a space 4x, but more of a grand strategy game. I would kill for Galactica Universalis

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Cow Farming Universalis

Guys, I just upgraded to Jerseys, but I'm not making nearly as much milk as I was with Holsteins. Should I focus on meat production or go back to what I know?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

This is not a good civil war.

Why does the AI seem to love that small chunk of Mexico there, anyway? I swear every time I play I see the US nab that chunk before the Civil War fires. Makes me wish they would just take all of Mexico so at least the borders are nice and straight.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Brazil also isn't a bad starting country, with lots of people and a drat good resource base to industrialize with, plus an HM's government means you can say gently caress the people and put whatever party you want in charge. It does have low literacy, so you should focus on getting the clergy up to 4% to maximize the literacy bonus, but luckily your neighbors are weaker so it's fairly easy to bully everyone near you, just make sure that the US isn't cordial or higher with them, because then they'll intervene.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I believe you mean Steppe Wolfe.

I'm imagining that the Steppe Wolfe dev diaries would just be nigh-incomprehensible rantings of someone trying to figure out why everyone just declared war on Estonia or something.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

With Their Finest Hour on sale, I've finally managed to move my whole mapgame catalogue from GamersGate to Steam.

Merry Christmas, Paradox thread!

I'm amazed the AI didn't manage to close the gap and just encircle everyone there before you got all your strategic objectives.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

croguy posted:

Honestly, even though most people prefer DH and HOI2 in general, once I got all the expansions and figured out how unit micromanagement work HOI3 became a fun little title in it's own way. HPP helps a whole lot, too, since it fixes and expands most of the stuff that wasn't worked upon enough in some other games, allowing a retarded ahistorical way to play the game without breaking it.

:hfive: Alright, another HoI 3 buddy! That makes two of us so far. HPP really does help a lot, since it makes the game more historical without being completely on rails. Watching the Germans decide to completely annex Czechoslovakia and refusing to make a deal with the Soviets, France launching a preemptive attack with Italy and England by their side because of Germany's actions, and the filthy nationalists taking all the casualties while myself playing as :china: THE GLORIOUS PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA :china: quickly moves to the Ma Clique's territory because I didn't make peace with the nationalists following the Xi'an Incident was a fun and almost completely ahistorical chain of events that happened to me last game.

Though one thing that really bugged me in the vanilla game was the Chinese states not being at war with each other in the 1936 start :psyduck:. I mean, it's not like they had a civil war going on during the start of the game's timeline or anything.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

I'm thinking about getting HOI3 before the Steam sale ends. I'm guessing I should also pick up Their Finest Hour, Semper Fi and For the Motherland?

Also, Are there any good tutorial Let's Plays or AARs out there?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?577185-Germany-Tutorial-Take-2.

That's what I used to learn the game, however it is for FTM and I haven't been through the whole thread in a while to see if he added new TFH stuff. And yes, all the expansions are pretty much required, the base game is just bad and even I don't defend it.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

For HoI3: is there any "ideal" army composition like there is in Vicky and EU? I'm thinking of trying to get back into that game but the map alone intimidates me.

Depends on what you need the army to do. In general, you don't need more than 3 units of infantry in an individual brigade, one unit of tanks in an armored brigade and after 4 units of airplanes in a wing the stacking penalty kills their effectiveness. It also changes a lot between FTM and TFH, in TFH the combined arms bonus increases the more varied the unit is, balanced by the hardness of the unit which increases it's survivability. It's been ages since I played FTM, but I think there it was just making sure that the unit's hardness percentage was between some arbitrary numbers or something.

Also, do not attach units to special forces brigades. It might seem cool to slap some superheavy tanks to a mountain division, the terrain you want to use special forces in is terrain that most units have massive penalties in. Plus, Paratroopers can't jump if there is anyone but paratroopers in the division.

And automate trade and convoys. Always. Only the biggest :sperg: would want to actually micromangage that nightmare, just make sure to end trades that are getting sunk by the enemy so you don't lose unity.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kaveman posted:

What's the general consensus on Supreme Ruler: Cold War? It's only £1.99 on GMG and it looks interesting enough.

Pretty sure that's the one game I've played that's more grognardy than HoI3, with a UI so terrible it made HoI2 look good in comparison.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

V for Vegas posted:

Divided We Stand 2.0?

Those little chunks of New Hampshire in the middle of Vermont are fascinating to me. Was that from that short period when VT was a country?

Also I love that Iowa looks exactly the same.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I'd like the ability to just relinquish control of my armies over to the AI. It's grand strategy, not grand tactics.

Isn't this one of the features that a lot of people complain about when talking about HoI3? On top of the ahistorical WW2, the thousands of provinces, the extreme complexity etc etc.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The only time I ever used tariffs for more than a short term cash boost was when I was trying to form India as the Sikh Empire in NNM. There's just no way to balance the budget otherwise, you don't get much money and westernizing takes ages.

EDIT: And I just remembered: gently caress England. They sphered me and then my tariffs went down to nothing and with that my budget flatlined.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 12, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

I know they're not much of a threat, but it is annoying to deal with while trying to bring the people's revolution to the British.

That's why you ensure that there's always a Revolutionary Guard stationed on DC to prevent any enemies of the people from toppling the legitimate government :ussr:.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever managed to make any form of India in any Paradox game, maybe since this is so much earlier I can forge a massive Indian empire and import that into EUIV when I finally get around to buying that. Then come Vicky III I can have bizzarro-world where the great powers are Asian.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
As someone who actually liked the micromanagement in HoI3, I just have to say: Halle-loving-lujah. I can't even play as the Soviets because it takes longer to recreate the entire OoB from scratch than it did to play from '36 to '42. It was a cool idea in practice, but after around the Army level I just stop caring and start assigning them more or less at random, except for maybe the one or two corps of elite top of the line troops I use to break through the German assaults. I mean, I liked doing it when playing as a small country like Hungary because there aren't too many divisions to worry about, but any bigger than Italy and it just becomes a pain in the rear end. I hope Paradox doesn't backpedal out of it due to pressure from the forums or something, I actually would like to defend against Barbarossa for once and not have my front line collapse because I forgot to assign generals to Corps after the Great Purge.

EDIT: VVVV HoI 3 has one too, problem is it kept assigning my useless Old Guard generals to divisions so none of my divisions were gaining experience. I wish there was a way to just purge them completely, unless that was added in TFH and I didn't notice.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 2, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

HЗДЯTS ФF IЯФИ IV: УЦЯI'S ЯЗVЗИGЗ

You don't even know how much money I would throw at Paradox if they made a Yuri's Revenge DLC. If only to see the tears on the forum as Paradox lights history on fire.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

What is the closest anyone's seen to historical outcomes in CK, EU, and/or HoI anywho?

From my last Panjab game in Vicky II using New Nation Mod:

It was surprisingly close to history, excluding India forming in the 1870's, a communist revolution in India in the 1900s, no WWI and Austria-Hungary only losing that little chunk to Yugoslavia instead of dissolving. Oh, and if you ignore Asia entirely because I don't know what happened with Mongolia.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Rumda posted:

This exists
:aaaaa:
Tell me more. I will buy whatever game and dlc required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
But no other scenario let's me play as Pancho Villa, Venustiano Carranza or Emiliano Zapata :saddowns:. Even if it is boring as gently caress and you really can't do anything since you have no IC and are on the other side of the world. I kind of wish that the Mexican Revolution was a stand alone scenario, if only because it's not represented in any game I've ever played.

• Locked thread