Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Please don't turn Paradox Games into boring/masturbatory political education tools for internet activists. We all know that colonialism was bad and that all sorts of other activities associated with war are horrible, but the vast majority of people who play strategic war games do so to have fun, not to get a loving lecture about how whatever they're doing in the game is evil. The people who actually implemented these policies didn't get a pop-up warning them about their moral depravity in real life, so why is it necessary in the game? You can work out the implications of your actions on your own if you're inclined to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am not sure how what anyone have suggested would accomplish this. Unless you just really dislike reading, which would mean the content wouldn't matter in whether it was boring or not.

Also someone has never visited the official forums, I see.

I just don't think "Fun fact: you just committed genocide!" adds anything to the enjoyment of the games. Some flavor text here and there would be fine with me, so I'm not saying there's literally nothing that can be done. Still, the perpetrators of crimes against humanity generally didn't face dramatic negative consequences as a result until relatively recently, and decisions that reward that behavior would be even more controversial than just abstracting the issue as they tend to do now, so it would seem that not opening that can of worms would be a hell of a lot easier than navigating the minefield of portraying things accurately without offending a whole lot of people.

Okay, some nationalists/bigots/whatever don't recognize that some of the horrible things that happened in history were horrible, but telling them in-game that they're committing atrocities isn't going to educate them, it's just going to make them stop playing (unless they think it's awesome, which is even worse).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The onus isn't on the player to feel these things in a vacuum, it's on the developer to provide cues and information to allow a player to engage, should the player want to engage with it.

The onus isn't on anyone. Paradox isn't setting out to make Guilt Simulator 2000.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'd buy the gently caress out of guilt simulator 2000.

I'd probably buy it too, and if someone made a mod with more historical detail on this sort of thing I'd be interested to see what they came up with. Still, I imagine the market for that sort of thing would be considerably more limited than for vanilla Paradox games. I just think this whole revisionist history (I don't mean that in a negative way) push, while better intentioned than the appeals for greater Balkan glory on the Paradox forums, represents a similarly narrow interest. Historical context is good, but primarily to the extent that it makes the process of global conquest/pretty borders more fun.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its not revisionist though?

I just meant applying concerns we have today to a game about the past. Maybe that was the wrong word?

• Locked thread