Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

sniper4625 posted:

Wiz is responsible for the oceanic colony of Not Kroatia. As for the scenario, it's still being converted, but it should probably be available eventually.

I thought Not Kroatia was the Country Formerly Known as Croatia (light brown on the map, just west of Srjbyzantium), and that the colony was Kroatstralia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Why is :allears:SERBIA:allears: a thing? Is it because of the fierce nationalism of some of the people on Paradox's forums or something?

Because of xenophobic elitism of Western European/North American posters that makes people view Serbs as grotesque nationalist caricatures that everyone can make fun of and feel better about themselves

lol just kidding, it's the clay thing

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Please base pig flag on this:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Srjbyzantijum: the only country that got invaded by horsenomads in 1800

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mod of the Year. Now the game can finally model German majority enclaves across Eastern Europe.

I would love that but how do you simulate migrations? Saxons werent the only ones moving around.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I know I've certainly advocated this view, though as someone else said, the clay video really doesn't do the Serbians any service.

That video was made by someone itt.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Add a German settler mechanic similar to the Jewish settler mechanic of MMtM (and probably other mods as well, might be part of that SRI mod?), just with different conditions and effect. Each time you settle more Germans, add a modifier N+1, which when it's high enough compared to the population, switches the province culture to a generic German (or state culture, if a German state). When you first settle Germans, you would have the choice of either getting +tax, or +defensiveness from your settlers (multiplied by higher levels of the modifier), which would lock your choice for the province. That bonus would stay even when the province flips, preventing further settlement. That's basically German settlement of Eastern Europe.

Would probably be pretty unbalanced/annoying, depending one whether you're using the normal map or the HOI3 map though, but I think it could work. Just having the German settlers be a simple bonus to tax/defensiveness, without flipping the province culture, would probably be better on the normal map really.

I'm gonna be the PC brigade now and complain about the lack of Wlach, Roma and Tatar migrants in your proporsal

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Why not just skip the formalities and mod CK2 to add a "Kingdom of the Balkans" with de jure claims on everything from Cyprus to Trieste? Set all the cultures to just Balkan (in the culture group with Polish, obviously), make everything Catholic except Shia in Turkey, make all the nobles Italian and Roma.

For EU3/4, just do a mod where Europe and the Middle East are glossed over like the rest of the world in vanilla, but Asia, Africa and the Americas get detailed historical events and each nation has accurately modeled political systems. Model dozens of individual daimyo with the HRE mechanic, replace the HRE with Austria, Bavaria, Lombardy, Burgundy and a renamed shogunate.

All HOI needs is a mod that switches division names around so the Desert Rats are fighting in Burma and the 101st and 82nd are marine divisions.

As a person from the Balkans, I feel my worldview was shattered by your snappy reply. You have shown me the error of my nationalistic ways. I will strive to be like you in every regard.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

I'm waiting for the HoI4: Singaling Detachment expansion comes with real signaling flags to use with kinect

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

The golden goose of Paradox laid these eggs:

Republic released

Get your swarthiness here

Also music

Cowcatcher fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 17, 2013

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

BBJoey posted:

Was Glorious Srbja the LP that lost most of its images when waffleimages (or whatever the hosting site was) went down?

You don't need the images. The Glorious Srjbja lives in spirit. Also possible Vic2 mod

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Pooned posted:

The fifth Victoria 2 clue is posted https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151655543149816.610612.284210044815&type=1&l=5fd335e15d and the only thing you talk about is Eu3, shame on you all!

Some kind of empire decay mechanic for Vicky 2?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Kudos to Paradox for continuously improving their games instead of moving on. V2 was supposed to be the red-headed step-child yet it keeps on giving.

Don't stop Paradox, feed our hunger for complex games. :btroll: WE WANT MOAR FEATURES :btroll:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I used to play the first Imperialism, back in the day. If I remember it correctly, seems like Victoria borrowed a lot of ideas from it. I could never seem to get very far though, the Congress of Nations would always show up after a decade or so and end the game prematurely. I seem to remember never being able to play more than a couple decades. Was there a way to turn that 'feature' off?

There was no option, I remember I was pretty annoyed with that either. I don't know if the GOG version is any different, or maybe there's a mod out there. Would love to play it again, the sequel didn't really have the same feel to it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Google is using the same wallpaper in its Library Cafe in Zurich. I guess it's a statement on devs not reading any paper books?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

telcontar posted:

It's not as if they galloped around Europe in random chaos. They occupied large contiguous territories for decades or even generations at a stretch, and they migrated in large groups. I mean it took the Vandals, what, 30 years just to go from Gaul to North Africa? And it took them literally hundreds of years before that to migrate from the Vistula to the Roman border.

How would you handle breaking up of tribes? Some of the Slavs move south, a bunch of Magyars gets in between them and the rest of the family up north, and a century later they're a separate culture.

E: Bonus points if you rename ones White/Red/Black/etc

Cowcatcher fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 4, 2013

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

our cold war history thread in TFR seems pretty cool though

How's the zombie apocalypse thread?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Shafer has an interview with Tom Chick on Qt3 this week and he talks about all the barbarian tribes being different - some like the Huns can't even own non-movable possessions like farms - and the Romans are unplayable. But they slowly decline through battles between the Eastern and Western emperors, or having child emperors etc, and you have to pick your time when to attack them. Although that means you don't get any more tech off them either. Sounds really cool.

It says that you also get tech when you take a Roman town

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

A Heart of Porkness

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

RPS has a thing on EU4: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/19/impressions-europa-universalis-iv/

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Darkrenown you should get your posts proof-read by Paradox PR because you're horrible at posting

If you were in a less Paradox-loving thread you'd be doing damage to your company with your lovely attitude

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

esquilax posted:

I, for one, love how accessible the paradox devs are, and that we get actual responses instead of 'we appreciate your concern, Paradox Interactive strives to give the best gaming experience available.'

Also, the overly sensitive flame war posting style frankly fits in very well in this thread.

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah, I actually prefer how you guys actually talk to people as people, instead of as some weird corporate blob. It makes the thread really fun :3

There's talking like people, and there's talking like goons. Don't go native, man.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

No, don't. I hope EvW turns out fun, and not TMI: The Game

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

A fire occurred near the heavy industry zones, unleashing a noxious cloud, but they didn't have any fire stations with coverage over the area. :(

I bet you REGRET CUTTING OUR FUNDING!!!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

DrProsek posted:

I noticed Morocco often finds itself out of a sphere. Early on it tends to land in the French sphere but will quickly get overthrown and will be out of everyone's sphere. Best thing is, it seems to be a magnet for migrations; Casablanca in every game I play ends with a Moroccan minority for whatever reason.

Of all the clayholes in all the colonies in all the third world, they had to migrate into mine

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought "Nationalism" was just a modifier that could be refreshed once in a while, not simply something for non-core provinces? Don't nationalist rebels reapply it for some years, if they manage to siege a province into submission?

That is correct, nationalism is a separate counter that resets when rebels capture the province.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Careful Wiz, Podcat is coming for your "coolest Paradox employee" badge.

He was always the coolest P-dox employee

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Nightblade posted:

I just went Bavaria -> Germany -> HRE -> Papal State -> Germany in EU3, and I think I broke something. Witness the Reformed Pope of Germany:

I like how Balkans is the most stable part of Europe where nothing changed in 100+ years despite you going full bismarck

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Reading this has reminded me that I really hope that they get rid of the senseless same religion requirement for diplo annexing in EU4. Yeah sure make it more difficult but it's not it's unheard of and I'm sick of seeing Bosnia and Serbia existing forever as Ottoman vassals (not that this will be a problem with the new start date, but still).

I agree, but annexation should not be the inevitability it is in EU3. Ottomans got a few smaller territories by getting their former vassals to roll over, but they still had to roll in with armies for Bosnia and Serbia, and they never integrated Wallachia and Moldova at all.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

SeaTard posted:

So what is there to stop the Emperor from just collecting 4 vassals, and then making them all Electors? It doesn't matter if the other ones hate you, because 4 gives you a majority. And hell, just go all out and revoke/assign to a few more vassals, and end up with a full set of 7. It looks like it'll be even easier to game the HRE in EU4, which seems like the opposite of what was planned.

DD says you can only make independent nations into electors

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Removing an elector SHOULD cost you imperial authority though... Aristocracy doesn't look too fondly when their relatives/spouses/both are disenfranchised.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Dynamic countries!!!!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I would play Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings with counters if I could.

What's a NATO symbol for Huskarls?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

DrProsek posted:

Then raise your taxes on your poor dudes to 100, watch them riot up so many republics :unsmigghh:.

Downside is this will first turn you into the Republic of China, and from there getting communists to rebel is harder than if you just stayed a monarchy.

If China is a democracy and bad poo poo happens leading them to conclude the people lost the Mandate, do they switch to a Dictatorship...?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Lord Binky posted:

I got Darkest Hour yesterday, and have been having a good time thus far. I can't help noticing some really goofy stuff, though. For instance, USA declared war on Italy, and thus all the Axis without joining the Allies. And then Yugoslavia joined the Axis, left the Axis, declared war on the USA, and then on the Netherlands. The gently caress? In any case it gives me a good chance to invade them as Hungary.

Oh and Italy joined the war early and Germany invaded Denmark/Norway before the low countries, but those are reasonable enough.

I think Yugoslavia gets a historical event where, if they join the Axis, there's protests against it and the government gets overthrown, the new government leaves the Axis.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Let's not all jump onto the EvW=>Magna Mundi bandwagon. I'd really like it to be a nice (re)playable game after a patch or two that modders could expand on to smooth out the corners

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Ray and Shirley posted:

I like both companies and both titles. :haw:

I don't like multiplayer, and in singleplayer Empire I had 10 enemy units marching left and right all day, overlapping each other for maximum causalities while my single battery pounded them into retreat

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Empire was terrible but who wouldn't want CA and Paradox to team up and make a game with a Paradox campaign and total war battles. Europa Universalis: Total War :black101: One can dream :allears:

Hour 56 of my first campaign: after 18 battles I have finally destroyed the ping-ponging rebel stack

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

A: No, it's too modern a viewpoint. Ingame the race for colonies is seen in an entirely positive light.

I stand by that answer (I'm not sure where they got the bit about lines on the map), in the Victorian period from the western point of view there was no moral downside to colonising that I know of. Nations didn't condemn each other for colonising, everyone was rushing to claim colonies of their own, there was no major backlash from people against colonising governments etc. Heaping scorn on you for colonising in a Victorian era empire building game doesn't make sense.

Well, Congo Free State much?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Just started a NNM game as a released Zanzibar. Slavery is banned from the outset :psyduck:

Maybe it's like in UK where you just redefine what slavery means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Hey Zearoth, does A Srb Divided have any music changes? Because you really do need new menu music.

Singer's weird accent just kills this sublime classic melody. You can't sing "kill the Ustaše" when you can't pronounce š.

And no, the menu music can only be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ysvb156f4

• Locked thread