Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I know it's a strange question to ask in the paradox thread but are there any pirate themed games that have are at all remotely like ck2 in strategy? Now that I've finally figured out how to play this game... I really want to play more like it... and I kind of think a piracy/carribean themed game would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

that's a shame.. it seems like a good theme for a strategy game.. managing ports and ships, trading across, deciding who your first mate is and ultimately who'll take over for you. I dunno

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I received it for free last week but I must admit I had only tried EU3 for a few minutes...

but the level of rage in the last few pages of this thread has made me want to know more. You all are hysterical.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Can you guys link me to some good tutorials for EU3? I'm trying to learn the game now that I have an 'ok' grasp on ck2...

I'd like to be decent at EU3 before 4 comes out.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Deleting moneyin.wav and moneyout.wav - the best thing I've ever done for EUIII. :aaaaa:

No more:
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!
clink!

replace it with the cash register sounds from pink floyd's "Money"

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

are their any good early reviews of march of the eagles yet? I'm trying to decide if I want to preorder it.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

uPen posted:

You don't want to preorder it.

why? you think it's bad? Preorder it now you get 10 percent off and sengoku.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

40 minutes until MotE unlock on Steam and I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm getting riled up about Steam, though. If this game had a physical disk release I could have gone to Gamestop, bought it, and started playing an hour and a half ago. You're entirely defeating the purpose of digital distribution, Steam! :doom:

While I'm waiting, has anyone seen the whole map for MotE? I'm assuming it's roughly the same as Rome: Total War's map, since the Ottoman Empire is a playable faction and Egypt will probably be represented since that was one of Napoleon's major campaigns, which means the rest of North Africa will be there too. I'm a little bummed it's not going to be worldwide, since I've always wanted a game where I could do an alt-history of "Napoleon's fleet isn't sunk at the Battle of the Nile and he invades British India," but I know it is better from a gameplay standpoint to focus on the major powers in Europe rather than have every country in the world with its own poo poo going on, most of which won't be related to the Napoleonic Wars at all.

i'll be waiting for your trip report before I decide to purchase it.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

This is stuff I can't answer in detail, but a bunch of us think the randomised new world idea is cool, and SI did well enough not to rule out further ahistorical DLCs.

Maybe it's a terrible idea but I would love a fantasy themed strategy game of paradox ilk. Totally made up history.. controlling vampires or wizards or werewolf clans... Anything that wasn't just straight history. I love your strategy games but it would be nice to see you deviate more from history just once and just build an entire world of fantasy who's mythos you guys could expand on.

And yea I doubt I'll ever see this after that sunset invasion rage.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

no but I will probably now.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Ill check out Dominions 3 and yea Wine is kind of right in that I would like a fantasy themed paradox grand strategy game but that CYOA game looked pretty good.

It just trips me out with how well they do detailing historic events, don't you think if they unleashed fantasy on top of their grand strategy games they'd create something spectacular? I mean a cyberpunk grand strategy game or a fantasy one. Jesus Christ I would never leave the god damned house.

Or hell a grand strategy secret society one that has similar themes for The Secret World but you know... Actually fun? (Sorry to any tsw fans in advanced. Not trying to stir poo poo up)

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe, just maybe I'll actually try and learn how Victoria works because HoD sounds fun. But then when I tried it last Sunday I got utterly lost and didn't even know which version to play.

It took me a long time to learn ck2. Now I'm a crack head for it. I've been trying to learn to play Vicky 2 for a month now. I'm garbage at it and understand very little so if you find a good lets play that shows some grand examples to learn from please link me.

Lol. Gonna have to learn eu4 when it comes out too.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox Grand Strategy: two men enter, Darkrenown leaves

I lost my poo poo reading this. Darkrenown does come off kind of blunt sometimes but it's really resulted in one of the most entertaining threads in games right now... I'm really hoping someone pokes the bear again and again.

and is there any eta on The Old Gods expansion for CK2 yet or EU4? I just need to know when to set money aside.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

ANGRY REPLY!

Hi Zip! Still just Q2/Q3 respectively, no exact date.

Q2 is not coming fast enough. I can wait on EU4 because I have yet to really learn EU3 but I can't wait to play Pagans...

Especially after the last expansion. Trade republics were pretty fun to play so if pagans are half as fun my life will suffer in really awesome ways. (edit: j/k I don't poopsock)

Also my girl is pregnant with a boy and just to be terribly nerdy, I have been informing people about the pregnancy by explaining that "my titles are secure and we have no succession issues since I will now have a male heir." -Since I'm from usa this has led to some really confused/cryptic responses from people who have no idea wtf I'm babbling about... oh and one random raver girl I know told me I was "racist" for saying that.
I'm still not sure not if she meant sexist or if she just got confused.

Zip fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 24, 2013

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

fermun posted:

Hollow-Earth Nazi alien hordes invade Norway, Iceland, Scotland, or the Kola peninsula.

Not enough ninjas and grappling hooks in these paradox titles.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Any hints at all for the the release date of the old gods will be? The wait is killing me.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

So you guys really helped me in learning CK2 (which I'm still playing constantly) but I'm running into the same issues with trying to learn Viccy2 (head injury = really loving confused as to what I'm doing here).

I was wondering if anyone had a link to a decent Let's Play that shows a play through with a fairly easy nation? One with a good example of some simple goals in the game.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Such an LP does not yet exist. (Zearoth's very good Brazil LP is the closest thing, but it's pre-AHD and deeply outdated) I'm planning on doing a Mexico How Do I Play Victoria II LP as Mexico after my current messing around with World Stage ends.

Please message me a link when it's done. I would sure appreciate it!

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Whoever gave me that advice to play Japan to learn Vicky 2... High five damnit. I finally feel like I'm doing ok.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

god damnit.. I'm losing my mind waiting for The Old Gods.

I _really_ want this dlc... vikings and raiding sounds like so much fun.

Feh. I'll trudge on trying to learn viccy2 instead.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It feels like they announced The Old Gods ages ago. I'm happy that they're putting a lot of effort into it, but man, the wait is unbearable.

Ya. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a so-so patch coming. Like I didn't care much for the aztec patch's release date... but this dlc looks like it's going to completely change how I play the game... What's worse is I keep torturing myself by watching the dev diaries like once a day.

Paradox you are completely brilliant assholes for getting me addicted to this game. While it took me forever to learn I still feel like a loving wizard every single play through because I find new things. I may never see europe, but I've certainly kicked it's rear end a few times.

-Also the viccy 2 beta patch crashes me out 100 percent of the time. Each time after the intro movie ends. :(
Go figure.. beta patch but has any encountered this problem or found a work around?

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I don't know if this was linked yet but this destructoid article on EU4's multiplayer, is great.
http://www.destructoid.com/europa-universalis-iv-rule-britannia--254841.phtml

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I don't know if it was posted to the thread, I couldn't find it. If it's a repost, my bad.
Quill's trip to stockholm and multiplayer experience detailed in vblog format:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdUjBd5Q6J0

Everything I see on this game leaves me kind of stunned. It sounds spectacular. :)

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I gotta stop jocking paradox games on SA. I realized after I posted that, that some of the devs actually read my fanboying nonsense. :\

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I have a kidney stone. I can't sit at the comp for long periods of time at all. I'm going through the worst paradox withdrawals. Laying in bed in pain, staring at Lets Plays on an ipad. This sucks enormously.

Anyone have any interesting paradox lets plays? :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Thanks much guys :)

• Locked thread