Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

yokaiy posted:

In Suikoden II, we had the Bright Shield Rune versus the Black Sword Rune. The Runes attached themselves to two best friends, and then led them away from each other, dictating for them to be at the heads of two opposing forces, also sparking a war.

The only problem I have with that entire interlude is that the Bright Shield Rune and Black Sword Rune are not True Runes in and of themselves, but two pieces of a True Rune - the Rune of Beginning. The same game also had the Beast Rune, which sentiently (is that a word?) attached itself to La'Rounelle, and was something of a driving force of Luca being crazy... Aside from Luca being Luca, that is. Other than that, it all looks good, at least.

That said, this was the only Suikoden I couldn't get through, just because it felt too slow - and I got through Suikoden V first. I'll be hyped to see what I'm missing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Theres at least 107 best characters.

There's one that's least.

Oh boy is he least

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Magic Fanatic posted:

The only problem I have with that entire interlude is that the Bright Shield Rune and Black Sword Rune are not True Runes in and of themselves, but two pieces of a True Rune - the Rune of Beginning. The same game also had the Beast Rune, which sentiently (is that a word?) attached itself to La'Rounelle, and was something of a driving force of Luca being crazy... Aside from Luca being Luca, that is. Other than that, it all looks good, at least.

That said, this was the only Suikoden I couldn't get through, just because it felt too slow - and I got through Suikoden V first. I'll be hyped to see what I'm missing!

I'll amend my interlude. I guess I always just considered the two of them to be separate runes, but even if you think of them as the same rune, it's still a True Rune being a bipolar dick? I'm super dumb for not mentioning the Beast Rune, though.

Zyla posted:

Theres at least 107 best characters.

There's one that's least.

Oh boy is he least

Hahaha, I look forward to seeing who you're talking about as well.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
These Suikoden treads keep reminding me that I need to find a decent Suiko-themed avatar.

Anyway, I can think of at least one True Rune that's not a dick! The Dragon Rune didn't seem to do anything nasty to its owner, aside from the whole "if you die while wearing me all the dragons in the world die so no pressure buddy!" thing, but that's much more tame than eating the souls of everyone around you, draining away your life upon usage, and being forced to fight your best friend to the death. Or being turned into a WMD with a hair-trigger or being constantly tortured with visions of absolute order being enforced upon reality.

As for myself, I'm eagerly awaiting the recruitment of one of the most amusing SoDs in the game.

Edit: Slightly relevant, but did you load up completed data from the previous two games?

Verant fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 24, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

yokaiy posted:

I'll amend my interlude. I guess I always just considered the two of them to be separate runes, but even if you think of them as the same rune, it's still a True Rune being a bipolar dick? I'm super dumb for not mentioning the Beast Rune, though.
Yeah, they make sure you know that they're the same rune. I just read the II lp, they mention it, a LOOOOT.

And According to Suikosource, the Sun Rune is sorta-kinda in the same boat. Although it's "partner" was the Night Rune. The reason the Night Rune is a sword in I and II is because it turned itself into one to chop the Sun part off of itself.

God that sounds so ridiculous.

It should be mentioned that Mechanics wise, A character can hold a max of three runes. One on each hand and one on the forehead. The forehead is known for being the hardest to unlock, and most characters only have their hands available for rune attachment.

And runes don't ONLY make you pitch fireballs or summon the storm (or a gigantic Ion Cannon of DOOOM!), there are several that enhance your physical attacks. The Falcon Rune is probably the most famous. Each game has a character that has it permanently etched into their body, and this character can, once per fight, activate the rune to do extra damage with their standard attack. Physical runes can also do things like prevent status effects, cause you to auto-counter. Increase your defense to rediculous levels, but you can't attack...

Basically, you translate it to real world terms, some people would pitch fireballs for a bit before needing to sleep to be able to do that again. Others would be able to punch a house down in one shot, but couldn't do it again until they got the adrenalin going.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

yokaiy posted:

Ask and ye shall (sometimes?) receive.

I had to re-do it so the spazzing didn't turn out quite as well, but I hope you enjoy it regardless!

I think there's actually a pretty good number of best characters in this game. Looking forward to seeing who you're thinking of, though.

Yessssssssssss

Thank you kindly, goon sir. I probably should've waited for some better title text but I thought that little description Dupa spouted at the peace talks would make for a nice ironic contrast to the spasticness

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Out of curiosity, are you playing along or did you get super ahead of me?

Well, I started when you started the LP but in normal fashion I quickly got ahead and am now on the last chapter. Although I quickly fell into my powergaming self and started using people who did quazillion tons of damage over the guys I really liked. I have no shame. One day I will change this (although for Suikoden 2 and 5 it did take about 3 playthroughs...)

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

These Suikoden treads keep reminding me that I need to find a decent Suiko-themed avatar.

Anyway, I can think of at least one True Rune that's not a dick! The Dragon Rune didn't seem to do anything nasty to its owner, aside from the whole "if you die while wearing me all the dragons in the world die so no pressure buddy!" thing, but that's much more tame than eating the souls of everyone around you, draining away your life upon usage, and being forced to fight your best friend to the death. Or being turned into a WMD with a hair-trigger or being constantly tortured with visions of absolute order being enforced upon reality.

As for myself, I'm eagerly awaiting the recruitment of one of the most amusing SoDs in the game.

Edit: Slightly relevant, but did you load up completed data from the previous two games?

If you have a request, maybe I'll draw you something silly for your avatar too?

I feel like the death of all dragons is still a pretty dick move on that one's part. Not nearly as bad as some of the others, but it's not very nice.

I didn't load up completed data, no. I didn't have :filez: for it, and it's a bit too late to do now. Also, I was so excited to start the LP that it completely slipped my mind.

Calax posted:

Yeah, they make sure you know that they're the same rune. I just read the II lp, they mention it, a LOOOOT.

And According to Suikosource, the Sun Rune is sorta-kinda in the same boat. Although it's "partner" was the Night Rune. The reason the Night Rune is a sword in I and II is because it turned itself into one to chop the Sun part off of itself.

God that sounds so ridiculous.

It should be mentioned that Mechanics wise, A character can hold a max of three runes. One on each hand and one on the forehead. The forehead is known for being the hardest to unlock, and most characters only have their hands available for rune attachment.

And runes don't ONLY make you pitch fireballs or summon the storm (or a gigantic Ion Cannon of DOOOM!), there are several that enhance your physical attacks. The Falcon Rune is probably the most famous. Each game has a character that has it permanently etched into their body, and this character can, once per fight, activate the rune to do extra damage with their standard attack. Physical runes can also do things like prevent status effects, cause you to auto-counter. Increase your defense to rediculous levels, but you can't attack...

Basically, you translate it to real world terms, some people would pitch fireballs for a bit before needing to sleep to be able to do that again. Others would be able to punch a house down in one shot, but couldn't do it again until they got the adrenalin going.

Whoops, then. It's been a little while since last I read that LP, so I'm going to blame poor memory.

I thought I mentioned the locations when I first explained Runes in the first update? But apparently I didn't, so I'll add that over there. I feel like the first update is a better spot for that info than in my little interlude. We'll be getting into the non-magical Runes fairly soon, as well, so I was going to cover those when they happened.

booksnake posted:

Yessssssssssss

Thank you kindly, goon sir. I probably should've waited for some better title text but I thought that little description Dupa spouted at the peace talks would make for a nice ironic contrast to the spasticness

:3:

CVE posted:

Well, I started when you started the LP but in normal fashion I quickly got ahead and am now on the last chapter. Although I quickly fell into my powergaming self and started using people who did quazillion tons of damage over the guys I really liked. I have no shame. One day I will change this (although for Suikoden 2 and 5 it did take about 3 playthroughs...)

I generally go for ones I like over ones that wreck face. Luckily, a lot of the ones I like (like Hugo) wreck face pretty well anyway.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, though. It needs more love.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

vilkacis posted:

"Behold the power of the True B-Ball Rune!"
drat, A Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden crossover!

Great LP. Never played any Suikoden games, and I'm impressed with the way this one looks. Cartoony character models, sure, but everything is very detailed and vibrantly colored. I didn't realize it was a PS2 game at first, since most PS2 games seem to be really dark, especially in LP screenshots. Are you jazzing up the images or is this game just really this bright?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

sudonim posted:

drat, A Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden crossover!

Great LP. Never played any Suikoden games, and I'm impressed with the way this one looks. Cartoony character models, sure, but everything is very detailed and vibrantly colored. I didn't realize it was a PS2 game at first, since most PS2 games seem to be really dark, especially in LP screenshots. Are you jazzing up the images or is this game just really this bright?

Pretty sure I'd pay money to see a Suikoden: Shut Up and Jam crossover game. Especially with Chris as the protag.

Nope, these are jazz-free. The game is actually that bright, and the only ones I've messed with are ones I caught mid-fade-out, for which I altered the levels so they would match with the others. They generally number 2 or 3 per update, and hopefully you can't tell which ones they are. :cheeky:

Glad to hear you're liking it. You should check out the other games and LPs too.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The 108 Slams of Destiny await!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

vilkacis posted:

:hellyeah:

yokaiy posted:

Glad to hear you're liking it. You should check out the other games and LPs too.
I tried following an LP of the first Suikoden a while ago on SA, but couldn't keep interested for whatever reason. Maybe this is a more interesting game, or a better LPer, or both.

Just checked the archives. There's been two LP's of Suikoden, with latter one by The White Dragon. His FF9 LP was good so maybe I'll give it a go.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

Aaand that's going on the OP.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Getting a bit more focused on where the game is going...

I started with Geddoe when I first played Suikoden III. Actually, to be honest, I bought Suikoden III because I'd heard about how amazing Suikoden I and II were, but had never played them. So Geddoe wasn't just the first character I picked, but he was really my introduction into the Suikoden world.

I don't think I picked wrong :allears:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

sudonim posted:

:hellyeah:

I tried following an LP of the first Suikoden a while ago on SA, but couldn't keep interested for whatever reason. Maybe this is a more interesting game, or a better LPer, or both.

Just checked the archives. There's been two LP's of Suikoden, with latter one by The White Dragon. His FF9 LP was good so maybe I'll give it a go.

The second set of Suikoden I and II LPs are done by myself and TWD. He does a glitch/bug run that exploits the numerous issues the first two games have in their code, while I do a normal run fellating Suikoden I and heavily criticizing Suikoden II.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I started with Geddoe when I first played Suikoden III. Actually, to be honest, I bought Suikoden III because I'd heard about how amazing Suikoden I and II were, but had never played them. So Geddoe wasn't just the first character I picked, but he was really my introduction into the Suikoden world.

I'd almost say this is the best way to play it, story wise.

But Hugo first is defensible and probably most logical.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love this game - it was the first Suikoden game I played, and while it was a little slow, I still really liked all the varied characters and the whole 'epic story' thing it had going on.

That being said, it was ALSO this game that cured me of reading instruction manuals before I started up a new game. You know that dapper-looking gentleman on the front cover of the game with a mysterious mask, that is clearly Quite Important to the plot? (and brings some mean slams and jams to the table besides) Yeah, there's official art of him hanging out without said mask right smack dab in there. Mind you, if you don't know who he is or haven't played the first two games, it's not THAT big of a deal, but it's still the principle of the matter drat it.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. When I was catching up with the thread a few days ago:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Raitzeno posted:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. When I was catching up with the thread a few days ago:

Wow!

Can I just say thank you now for how awesome you all are? Thank you so much for sticking with this LP, and I love all the discussion going on. You guys are the best.

:kimchi:

UmbreonMessiah posted:

You can never go wrong with Geddoe. :allears:

Podima posted:

I love this game - it was the first Suikoden game I played, and while it was a little slow, I still really liked all the varied characters and the whole 'epic story' thing it had going on.

That being said, it was ALSO this game that cured me of reading instruction manuals before I started up a new game. You know that dapper-looking gentleman on the front cover of the game with a mysterious mask, that is clearly Quite Important to the plot? (and brings some mean slams and jams to the table besides) Yeah, there's official art of him hanging out without said mask right smack dab in there. Mind you, if you don't know who he is or haven't played the first two games, it's not THAT big of a deal, but it's still the principle of the matter drat it.

Oh, hey, so there is. Would you look at that.

Actually, don't look at that.

This is why I've been recommending not reading the manga, as well. They reveal his face pretty prominently as early as volume 2. There's another spoiler for why you shouldn't read volume 1, but yeah.

It's just a good thing he changed his hair between games, gives him at least some semblance of disguise for if you happen to see him mask-less.

On a probably more interesting note, working on the next update now. Hopefully I'll have it up tonight, but it should be up tomorrow afternoon (well, my afternoon) at the latest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well seeing Chris's side of that incident with Hugo really puts a lot of things into perspective and really gets my attention. It reminds me somewhat of how Game of Thrones (the novels, at least--I don't watch the show) where lots of stuff is happening to different perspective characters but has very clear (and often very dire) implications for other characters who don't know what's happening. This must have been a bitch to keep straight when they were designing the game.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

If you have a request, maybe I'll draw you something silly for your avatar too?

I feel like the death of all dragons is still a pretty dick move on that one's part. Not nearly as bad as some of the others, but it's not very nice.

I didn't load up completed data, no. I didn't have :filez: for it, and it's a bit too late to do now. Also, I was so excited to start the LP that it completely slipped my mind.

Really? Dang, thanks! I'll have to give this some thought (I'd probably go for one of Hugo, Geddoe, or Nash since they are all pretty cool dudes.)

And awww, guess that means we won't get the Suikoden I and II plays. With the right characters, they're hilarious.

Looking forward to Geddoe's antics! If nothing else, he's the most broken of the three initial main characters, what with the Lightning Rune gaining some really useful spells in the transition to Suikoden 3's rune system/battle area mechanics. Shame you can't really say the same about the Fire Rune, though.

Verant fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 26, 2013

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I like Chris' nickname of the Silver Maiden, it's nice and traditional, but "The White Hero" is a bit weird, I think. It doesn't sound right.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's unfortunate is that if you had asked, I happened to have a file that'd have let the plays be done too.

I think I gave it to The White Dragon for his LP attempt at this, funny enough.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 26, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Is the one from the lparchive still there?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's honestly not that big of a deal - the extra content you get is easily viewable on YouTube, and the OP can just link it in here when we get to the point where it's worth watching. (Near endgame, so let's stick with getting to that point at all in the first place.)

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 1.1 - Waiting for Geddoe

With Hugo and Chris out of the way for the moment, it is time to turn to our third protagonist.

And so, once again, we return to the past.

Wait, I think we went too far back. When is this even? And where, for that matter?

We find ourselves literally quite in the dark here, as three shadowed figures stand before a bonfire of sorts. Burning inside are spears and pikes, as well as a red flag with an orange symbol.

: "This means we must go our separate ways."

: "If that is our destiny, we must thank the gods."

: "I can't tell if we're being cursed or blessed, but I have faith in this world -- as long as even the slightest trace of the truth remains in the world."

: "I'm sure our paths will cross again."

There's an unheard "I doubt it" hanging in the air, as the speaker hesitates, leaving the crackling of the fire the only audible sound.

: "We've always trusted your decisions. We still do."

: "Thank you."

Well, that was different.

The scene fades, and we find ourselves in a different place and time. Music slowly creeps into the scene.

Wait a second, I know this bar. This is the inn at Vinay del Zexay!

Don't know these people, though.

:whoptc: Do you see all the booze bottles that guy has in front of him?? It's still light out. From the lack of anyone else in the room, it's probably not even noon yet!

The door swings open, and a fourth walks in to ruin the party.

He turns and makes a beeline for the table.

: "How can you drink like that so early in the day? You good-for-nothing fool!"

Well-said.

Ace emotes FURIOUSLY in response.

: "Gee, thanks. What would we do without you?"

The woman at the table gives him a coy smile.

: "Mmm-hmmm."

The bored lad at the bar top seems to... agree? Maybe?

: "Heh! By the way, where's the captain? Is he in his room? Think he's... in a bad mood?"

So if you have eyes and can read, you may notice there's a certain theme going with names, here. The blond guy is named Jacques, by the way. Together, they (almost) make a Royal Flush.

: "Since you're so indispensible, why don't you go up there and see if he's all right. He calls the shots and keeps us fed, after all."

Together, and with the addition of their captain, they also make up a bunch of spies. Because it is high time for spy time.

Ace waves them off as he heads for the rooms upstairs. He actually takes some pride in being able to prod people into doing things, so he doesn't mind too much.

Ahh, the sweet harbor of Vinay del Zexay. It's an impressive sight.

Our man here doesn't look too impressed, though.

Ace calls from the hall, knocking on the door as well, before entering.

: "... but we've just received orders from headquarters."

Geddoe shrugs, and makes his way over to Ace as lethargically as possible while still being a model leader.

: "I quote, 'There are rumors of the Fire Bringer once again making a move in northern Grassland. Confirm your situation.' "

: "Fire Bringer?"

: "It's hard to imagine that a spirit from over 50 years ago could rise up again. What should we do? Should we accept?"

: "......"

This is actually a dialogue choice, where we can either accept or be really "meh" about it, but the "meh" option is actually hinted at being the "canon" option from a line a little later. Also it's funnier.

: "Well, it sounds like an easy job. And I think the men could use some exercise."

: "That won't be necessary."

:effort:

Ace grins sheepishly and looks down at the ground.

: "I'm not sure about that... The drinks have been flowing day and night, eating away at our budget."

: "Just come out and say it."

Secretly I think Geddoe really just likes to be a pain in the rear end to Ace because it's mildly entertaining.

: "Um, well... I did our budget yesterday, and well... how can I say this....? We're completely broke."

Geddoe shrugs.

: "And now we have this urgent request from headquarters."

: "Well, um, I did make an inquiry. Yes."

: "All right, then. Get them ready."

: "All right. I'll get right on it, and kick their butts into shape. This should help things."

Ace turns and leaves, and we get control over Geddoe for the first time.

Well, let's not waste any time, and check out our troupe.

Here we have Geddoe and his men. They start off at pretty reasonable levels -- better than Hugo and about on par with Chris -- and a pretty okay amount of money as well. We've almost got a full party, too.

Spoiler: Geddoe's team will be the first to reach full party capacity, not including a support character.

Geddoe comes ready to go with a Lightning Rune, and I cannot thank this game enough for giving this to us. He's got a pretty good starting amount of casts, as well, and you'll see just how useful this can be later.

Ace comes with a Double Tusk Rune, which I'll show off later. It's a lot like Chris's Phoenix Rune, for reference.

Queen has a Ripple Rune, which allows her to poison a foe, but can only be used once per battle. It's pretty useful in certain situations.

Joker comes with two runes -- the Isshin Rune and a Fire Rune. The Isshin Rune allows him to do a damage attack much like the Phoenix and Double Tusk Runes, and the Fire Rune allows him to be a threat to enemies and allies alike. I'll be showing it off, but I haven't decided if I'm going to let him keep it. He can grow into a pretty great mage, but don't let his early-game advantage fool you. Geddoe is the better mage of the two.

Jacques has the Boronda Hawk Rune, which is a lot like Roland's Great Hawk Rune, except without being awful.

Skill-wise, they're not too shabby. Not as disciplined as Chris and her knights, perhaps, but they make up for their not being well-rounded by having some pretty good skills balanced with some pretty not good skills. Geddoe is probably the most well-rounded of the bunch, but we'll be fixing that by pouring all his skill points in Lightning.

Ace comes with the Discount skill at a solid C. If you couldn't guess from the name, we get things for a bit cheaper when he's around.

Joker comes with his Fire Magic at a solid C as well, but again, I'm not sure he's getting to keep that.

We'll see a bit more how their skills work next time we stop by a bujutsu teacher and have points to spend.

Before we do anything else, we're changing up the order like so. Jacques and Geddoe need to be in the back -- Jack because he's a backline fighter and Geddoe so he doesn't get interrupted while chanting. Joker will be physically fighting more than he'll be doing magic, so we can leave him in the front.

You'll note we have a unite attack, the Mercenary B attack. It simply requires the whole team to be there. Mercenary A, if you were wondering, requires Joker and Ace to be in the same pair. I'll show it off eventually, but right now I need them in front of people.

But enough of that, let's get this train-wreck a-rollin'.

: "Let's put our heads together and come up with a plan. Between the five of us, someone's got to have at least one good idea."

Oh, Ace. They have to be willing to think up ideas in order to get any.

He glances around for any means of back-up.

: "Brainstorming's not my thing."

O-ho! He speaks!

: "Oh, come on!"

He huffs angrily, but no one gives him a bone.

: "Grr. Why do I always have to do everything around here? Well, at least we have a lead. The Fire Bringer rumor is coming from the village of Iksay. That's near the Grassland border, and once we cross it, we're in Lizard Clan territory."

Ace doesn't elaborate any further, so Joker jumps in to egg him on.

: "And?"

: "Then we look around."

: "Well, it's better than going into the Grasslands with nothing. Besides, we can probably count on the information that knight gave us."

I think she's talking about Fred, but it's never revealed.

: "I agree."

He speaks again! Don't strain yourself there, dude.

There's a long pause, but no one offers any better ideas.

: "I guess we'll just have to go."

: "All right, it's decided! Captain, we should pull out of here right away!"

Geddoe is the epitome of :effort: right now and I love it.

: "Of course! We have to go, right now!"

The scene cuts, and we rejoin our band right outside of the inn.

This line doesn't change no matter which dialogue choices you made earlier, which is why I decided to go for the "But I don't want to..." choices.

: "He takes convincing, I know. But it's not like you're an inspiration, either, Ace."

: "I beg your pardon? You think you set a better example, sitting on your butt, drinking all day?"

Jacques has the worst parental figures in the world. Also, yes, they will be arguing a LOT.

"Ladies, you're both lovely, now let's blow this popsicle stand."

And so, once again we're free to explore Vinay, with a third group. Most of the dialogue is similar to Hugo's visit.

We meet again. :arghfist: :goleft:

However, there are some that are pretty interesting, so I'll show off the good ones, like usual.

Like this one. :3:

So, this guy has ham and beer.

:getin:

The Saint Loa Knights are still here, since, once again, we're pretty firmly in before-poo poo-went-down territory. Since Geddoe out-right misses Chris and Hugo completely, though, it's hard to pin down when we are specifically.

: "Huh? Me? My friends and I are just playing. What do you want?"

: "I'm sorry! Please forgive me!"

: "Hey! Who do you think you are?! Got a problem? You may be a mercenary, but I'm not scared of you!"

Heh.

I dunno, Geddoe doesn't look glitzy enough for that business.

Okay, enough of that, let's get out of here.

: "Right. You're from here, aren't you?"

As Joker has so kindly pointed out for us, not all of our Harmonian troupe is Harmonian. In fact, I'd warrant that very few of them are. Geddoe off-handedly mentions that he's from Caleria to an NPC, but that's actually just where they're based out of. The only one who's confirmed Harmonian of the bunch is Joker.

: "You could say that. I was once one of Gilbert's mercenaries."

Gilbert, in case you forgot from last time I mentioned it, was a character from the second game. By extension, Ace was present in the second game working under Gilbert, though he's never actually shown.

: "So, is that how you ended up in the border defense force?"

Remember, we're Harmonian spies now.

There's a hesitation among the group.

: "I suppose."

She glances at Jacques, who answers with an eloquent

: "....."

: "I'm sure Captain Geddoe has gone through a lot more than we have. Right, Captain?"

Ace turns to take one last look at the scenery.

: "Come on, let's go! I will bid a fond farewell to the soft sea breeze of Zexay, and look forward to my return."

It's a nice touch that he actually takes a few steps backwards, and pauses for one more good look, before finally turning and leaving with the others.

Good-bye, Vinay del Zexay. Until next time!

First thing you might notice about Geddoe's map is that it's got some new locations up north. Before you ask, neither of those are Iksay. While we have to head in the general direction of it (it'd be a little north-west of the green dot), we don't actually get to go there yet. The green dot is the Yaza Plain, and the yellowish square it leads to is the Lizard Clan area. You'll also notice that we've only got half of Brass Castle. If we were to go through it, we'd have no means of proceeding east. So, we'll actually be skipping it entirely.

But first, Zexen Forest.

I think we've been here enough times to know how it works by now.

Enemies have gone back to being the first-stage ones, since we're no longer nearing level 30.

So, let's show off some runes!

We'll start with Queen's Ripple Rune, since she's the fastest of our bunch and managed to get hers off first.

After glowing gold for a bit, the darkness filter fades and Queen gets this cool green flicker effect.

She then slices it, and it explodes, followed by getting assaulted by a poisonous purple haze.

It does an okay amount of damage (x0.75), but the poison is more important.

Joker looks eager to hit something, so let's cover his Isshin Rune next.

He gets into a stance and raises up his arm, before getting started. This is just his casting animation, though.

Both of his hands glow.

And then he slices the air, causing an explosion as well.

The damage is pretty good, but leaves him unbalanced, so it's usually not worth using.

Next up, Ace's Double Tusk Rune.

He pulls back his sai to get ready for the attack, and they glow accordingly.

He swings with them both a good 3 or 4 times,

Pauses to charge up a finisher,

And then causes a supernova with his final slash. It does pretty respectable damage, but also unbalances him, so it won't be seeing too much use either.

The vermintors go down before I get to show off any others, so here's another fight with another set of runes. We'll start with the Boronda Hawk.

First, look how cool that weapon is. He has it on his back normally, and it snaps out when he needs to use it. Because if it didn't fold like that, it'd be probably taller than him.

Jacques goes into his casting animation. You can see Geddoe and Joker chanting in the background.

He pauses to get his footing right,

Before propelling himself way up in the air. Oh, and his bowgun starts to glow.

He then rains death down from the skies.

And all the holly shrubs die.

I actually really hate that animation. You can't tell in screen shots, but he doesn't actually have a jumping animation, so he just sort of flies up and it's awful. However, this rune is just so USEFUL that I use it anyway.

Now for Joker to finish the job with his Fire Rune.

He used the first spell, Flaming Arrows.

It's your standard fireball attack. Nothing too special.

The holly elf dies, though, so that's something.

Flaming Arrows is the only Fire Rune spell that has no chance of hitting allies.

New fight, new rune. This time, we're using Geddoe's first spell on his Lightning Rune, Thunder Runner.

Everything goes sparky and blue, and then,

:owned:

Those holly shrubs died the most painful death. Thunder Runner deals damage to enemies in a line, so it's useful for bagging a lot of mobs. However, you can get unlucky if they all move unpredictably.

We'll see the rest of the rune casts as we go.

Other noteworthy things include getting about a metric crapton of medicines, and this.

I tried to show this off as Chris earlier, but she isn't allowed to loot corpses until later in the game. So, here you go. Looted corpses can only be looted once. Also that dagger is in a very unfortunate spot.

Plant life slaughtered, we move on to the Yaza Plains.

Next time, we'll stop in the plains for about two seconds, and then explore the home of the Lizard Clan!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh goodie, it's the Harmonia Globetrotters!

That expression. :haw:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Being spies makes Geddoe and company second-class Harmonian citizens, doesn't it?

I played this game way too long ago to remember, but I do remember that Harmonia comes off as a rather horrible place in this game.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

Oh goodie, it's the Harmonia Globetrotters!

That expression. :haw:

Tickets on sale now!

The 12th Unit has a lot of great expressions and emote animations. As such, you might have to endure updates that are a bit more picture-heavy, so I can show off just how nuts these guys are.

(As if my updates weren't picture-heavy already. :haw: At least I wasn't pushing the character limit for this update.)

Veyrall posted:

Being spies makes Geddoe and company second-class Harmonian citizens, doesn't it?

I played this game way too long ago to remember, but I do remember that Harmonia comes off as a rather horrible place in this game.

It actually makes them more-or-less exempt from the class system in Harmonia. They're treated more as "guests" than citizens, but they're also given a lot more freedom and leeway than normal citizens, so their unit can pretty much come-and-go as they please.

We'll see as the game continues that they prefer the "go" option.

But yes, Harmonia has a pretty rigid class system, which we'll get to see some shining examples of as we go further into the story. It's... an interesting place. I wouldn't use the word "horrible," but it's not the greatest place for sure. Maybe "stagnant" would be better? I'll have quite a few words about this as we go, but it's not really necessary to know much about the place yet. The only thing we need to know is that they're neutral.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So is Geddoe's code name "King" or is that just implied?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
In a lot of ways Suikoden III is the followup to the Suikogaiden games rather than Suikoden II, so yeah, there's a ton of Harmonia in it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Speedball posted:

So is Geddoe's code name "King" or is that just implied?

Haw! I wish.

It's just implied. If they went around calling Geddoe "King," I think I would laugh so hard I'd choke.

As a side note, Jacques might actually be his real name, rather than a code name. The others are all alias's though. And of them, only Joker's real name is revealed. (It's "Wan.")

CmdrKing posted:

In a lot of ways Suikoden III is the followup to the Suikogaiden games rather than Suikoden II, so yeah, there's a ton of Harmonia in it.

This is true, though Suikogaiden is a pretty strong followup to II. I'll have an interlude about the Suikogaiden games when the time comes. Which'll be around Chris Chapter 2.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I always forget what happens in which Suikogaiden (not being able to play them has that effect), I always end up thinking the first is a direct followup to Suikoden II while the second is moreso about Harmonian stuff, but it could be more evenly divided.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Ah, Joker. The first real mage of the game, and he really sets the standards of what I expect out of a Suikoden mage. Decent with magic? Sure. Able to take a hit or two? Sure. Able to do something respectable without resorting to magic? Joker clearly comes with kung fu action. Are there better casters? Sure, but most of them hit things with tiny sticks for 1 point of damage, and die if something so much as looks at them. That Fire rune of his made me appreciate the combat system of this game. Knowing when to cast, and how to manage your party to minimize splash damage, how to arrange the party so backline doesn't get dragged into the frey, the value of Dash, Swing, and movement speed. Fire rune isn't as good as Lightning, sure. But I think I wouldn't enjoy this game as much if Fire didn't do friendly damage.

I never really found a good use for Queen's Ripple rune. Most of the time, it's better to just do damage than try to poison, in my experience.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

yokaiy posted:

Haw! I wish.

It's just implied. If they went around calling Geddoe "King," I think I would laugh so hard I'd choke.

As a side note, Jacques might actually be his real name, rather than a code name. The others are all alias's though. And of them, only Joker's real name is revealed. (It's "Wan.")

This is true, though Suikogaiden is a pretty strong followup to II. I'll have an interlude about the Suikogaiden games when the time comes. Which'll be around Chris Chapter 2.

I think Queen's name gets revealed too either in one of the detective things, or a suggestion box or something. Probably something involving her rival/counterpart/whatever.

I'm looking forward to your Suikogaiden portion since I have no idea what happens in those games.

Also, in agreement with whoever said the best character appears at the end of Chris 2.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to be honest, I am liking Geddoe's crew a lot more than Hugo or Chris' crews. I just don't know exactly why, but Geddoe and co. seem more fun than the other two groups.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

Maybe "stagnant" would be better? I'll have quite a few words about this as we go, but it's not really necessary to know much about the place yet. The only thing we need to know is that they're neutral.

I see what you did there! But yeah, the Harmonia class system is a nasty piece of work, especially if you're not human.

As far as Queen goes, they never reveal her name, only where she came from. Didn't stop a lot of wild mass guessing from causing fans to think she was a certain returning character, though nothing was ever confirmed.

But it is true that Geddoe's group is pretty much the best starting cast of the three. Having no elves definitely helps.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Jacques is a pretty cool character who gets hampered by his lame weapon.

...also I JUST NOW realized Jacques = Jack, thereby completing the card theme.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

Ah, Joker. The first real mage of the game, and he really sets the standards of what I expect out of a Suikoden mage. Decent with magic? Sure. Able to take a hit or two? Sure. Able to do something respectable without resorting to magic? Joker clearly comes with kung fu action. Are there better casters? Sure, but most of them hit things with tiny sticks for 1 point of damage, and die if something so much as looks at them. That Fire rune of his made me appreciate the combat system of this game. Knowing when to cast, and how to manage your party to minimize splash damage, how to arrange the party so backline doesn't get dragged into the frey, the value of Dash, Swing, and movement speed. Fire rune isn't as good as Lightning, sure. But I think I wouldn't enjoy this game as much if Fire didn't do friendly damage.

I never really found a good use for Queen's Ripple rune. Most of the time, it's better to just do damage than try to poison, in my experience.

I've found the Ripple Rune useful for treasure bosses and rare encounters, since those tend to have a boat-load of HP, and the extra damage per turn adds up.

Probably a bit more reckless than you when it comes to strategy, which might be why I don't like the Fire Rune as much as you do. It was sort of ruined for me when Shiba ran right into the danger-zone when I didn't want him to, and got super murdered before he could even get his attack in.

I do appreciate the range in utility for mages, though. Joker (and Geddoe) are really useful as mages, but they can also hit like trucks and tank hits when they need to.

FairGame posted:

I think Queen's name gets revealed too either in one of the detective things, or a suggestion box or something. Probably something involving her rival/counterpart/whatever.

Verant posted:

As far as Queen goes, they never reveal her name, only where she came from. Didn't stop a lot of wild mass guessing from causing fans to think she was a certain returning character, though nothing was ever confirmed.

They reveal a rough background and where she's from, but her real name is never given. Don't worry, you'll see the detective things and the suggestion box things when those happen.

Yeah, I'm personally not a fan of that theory. It doesn't make sense to me, and feels like they were grasping at straws. Honestly, I didn't even know that theory was a thing until a couple months ago.

There are some pretty bad theories out there, though. Such as theories about who Hugo's dad is.

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm going to be honest, I am liking Geddoe's crew a lot more than Hugo or Chris' crews. I just don't know exactly why, but Geddoe and co. seem more fun than the other two groups.

Verant posted:

But it is true that Geddoe's group is pretty much the best starting cast of the three. Having no elves definitely helps.

To be fair to Hugo, his starting cast has been 25% killed off, leaving him with two speaking characters and a griffon. He's sort of at a disadvantage here.

But yes, I agree. Geddoe's team has a lot of personality, and I think their dysfunctional family vibe is more fun to watch.

Verbose posted:

Jacques is a pretty cool character who gets hampered by his lame weapon.

...also I JUST NOW realized Jacques = Jack, thereby completing the card theme.

Hah. Yeah, it took me a little while too.

I think bowguns are pretty cool, actually. Jacques himself is also a pretty cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Considering your character design analysis of Geddoe emphasized his immense competence I was kinda surprised to see him have an "Eh, whatever" attitude to missions. Or at least he has that attitude when his booze money isn't on the line. :colbert:

• Locked thread