Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

Oh, hell yes. :allears: If you want, I can make a better version of that face for you, since I doodled that one up in like under 5 minutes.

If you do not mind, that would be amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RabidWeasel posted:

Soooo how long until badass lizard dude becomes a permanent party member?

Just in time for his stats to be perfectly average or slightly behind the curve, naturally.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

I wonder how many players took the 'eh' option just to see what the hell Ged was talking about, only to be less than happy with the results.

Reporting in. :(

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh, that fight.

I had no idea you could win that. Chris just always blew my entire team away on turn 1.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

FairGame posted:

Oh, that fight.

I had no idea you could win that. Chris just always blew my entire team away on turn 1.

When I started out, I reloaded a save and tried to win the fight by using Joker's Fire Rune. Coincidentally, this was when I learned that the Fire Rune has friendly fire.

never did wind up beating chris

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

First, I should point out my reference to an Evil Childhood friend was a crack about Typical JRPG cliches, which Ace averts. :edi: I don't even know if he has an Evil Childhood Friend. On the other hand... continue with the theories! Which character has/is an Unlucky Childhood Friend?

Second, many Peckles died to bring you that victory, I suspect.

Third, Eh.

Fourth, Lightning level 3 is why Lightning is best AoE rune, especially in later levels.

Fifth, it's totally Queen's business about who Geddoe finds attractive. Ace and Joker have each other, Jacques has a sidekick and Queen has Geddoe. She's The Chick of the group, so has to be into the Lead Male Figure. Maybe. I don't know. It's not spelled out anywhere, making us come to our own conclusions. Which is a strength of Suikoden III.

Sixth, Jacques proves he brings more to the table than a big ol' crossbow. Good catch there on them tracks.

I have actually not run into any Peckles yet during this playthrough, which is a little concerning because I would like to show it off. You really just have to get lucky to get a win against Chris, though I would like to try out the bullshit Wind Rune victory at some point. Probably not for the LP, though.

Sucks to be Queen, then, because I think Geddoe's sights are elsewhere. Not necessarily towards anyone specific, mind you, just not aimed at Queen. In fact, he's probably too :effort: to even be thinking about the female cast members in that way.

FairGame posted:

Oh, that fight.

Verant posted:

When I started out, I reloaded a save and tried to win the fight by using Joker's Fire Rune. Coincidentally, this was when I learned that the Fire Rune has friendly fire.

never did wind up beating chris

:shepicide:

Yeah, it's mostly luck. It only took me two tries for this LP, but if Chris had used her glacier... Hell, if any of her soldiers had targeted Geddoe after she went down, I'd have lost. It just turned out that Shiba makes a great wall for him to hide behind and chuck medicine at.

RabidWeasel posted:

Soooo how long until badass lizard dude becomes a permanent party member?

He comes in sort of late, sadly, because of plot. He'll still be pretty great once he rolls in, though. Not quite as overpowered, but still dishing out more damage than most.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I find the lizards don't really shine as combat units. Mostly because while they're a big ol' pile of stats, they don't get much mileage out of skills, so other characters tend to overtake them by the time they join back up.

That said, they are pretty good war units. it doesn't stand out in the Horribly Rigged Against You fight in Chris 1, but enemies in those fights are much tankier than monsters and the like, so one good smack of lizard damage, along with their buckets of HP, make them a lot more effective.

(This might also be related to not being able to directly control units in war battles. Just a little.)

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

mageofthesands posted:

Fifth, it's totally Queen's business about who Geddoe finds attractive. Ace and Joker have each other, Jacques has a sidekick and Queen has Geddoe. She's The Chick of the group, so has to be into the Lead Male Figure. Maybe. I don't know. It's not spelled out anywhere, making us come to our own conclusions. Which is a strength of Suikoden III.

I like to imagine Queen as a lesbian. Then her relationship with a rival can take a different dynamic, depending on your tastes.

As can this line.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So yokaiy, are you planning to show off breaking the war battles with

Cheesy bullshit and character name spoilers
Firefly Runes and Mua/Fred/Twaikin? Because if you've never done it before it is glorious. Makes even the Classy Man a total teddy bear

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Yeah, Queen is just a tinfoil hat theory which I'm not sure I subscribe to. I like her clothes though. Best use of tassles on a JRPG female lead since... Uh, I'll let you come up with that punchline.

One of the problems with lizard teammate is that they're big. It takes longer to maneuver around them, which may be an issue depending on your ranks of Holy Dash.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Captain Oblivious posted:

So yokaiy, are you planning to show off breaking the war battles with

Cheesy bullshit and character name spoilers
Firefly Runes and Mua/Fred/Twaikin? Because if you've never done it before it is glorious. Makes even the Classy Man a total teddy bear

Hadn't planned on it (because I didn't know that this was a thing), but I guess we'll see when we get further along. There's not going to be an opportunity for that for a while, anyway. Though you might want to remind me when the time comes if you really want to see it. I can at least try it out then.

mageofthesands posted:

Yeah, Queen is just a tinfoil hat theory which I'm not sure I subscribe to. I like her clothes though. Best use of tassles on a JRPG female lead since... Uh, I'll let you come up with that punchline.

One of the problems with lizard teammate is that they're big. It takes longer to maneuver around them, which may be an issue depending on your ranks of Holy Dash.

She is host to a lot of really stupid theories (and some less-stupid theories as well), I'll give you that, but as a character I rather like her. Her being a lesbian is one of the vastly more plausible theories she's got. I really don't understand what caused her to be the target of so many, though.

CmdrKing posted:

I find the lizards don't really shine as combat units. Mostly because while they're a big ol' pile of stats, they don't get much mileage out of skills, so other characters tend to overtake them by the time they join back up.

That said, they are pretty good war units. it doesn't stand out in the Horribly Rigged Against You fight in Chris 1, but enemies in those fights are much tankier than monsters and the like, so one good smack of lizard damage, along with their buckets of HP, make them a lot more effective.

(This might also be related to not being able to directly control units in war battles. Just a little.)

They're definitely better on the battlefield than they are in normal combat. Which is why the real goal of that Chris 1 fight was to stay the hell away from them.

(Strategy battles are weird, man.)

Heads up, this is probably going to be another hellish week for me, so I might not get another update out until the weekend once again. I'll try to get another character analysis up, though. So, who would you like to see done next?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

yokaiy posted:

Hadn't planned on it (because I didn't know that this was a thing), but I guess we'll see when we get further along. There's not going to be an opportunity for that for a while, anyway. Though you might want to remind me when the time comes if you really want to see it. I can at least try it out then.

Basically the gist of the trick is:

The Firefly Rune makes enemies naturally favor attacking that character, vastly moreso than anyone else...and this still takes effect in war battles in which you have no real control over the fights. Mua/Fred/Twaikin have incredible defensive capabilities when tuned properly. So what you do is in war battles, give each of them a Firefly Rune, attach them to separate groups and there ya go. Those three units are now incredibly, incredibly unlikely to ever die because the enemy will spend every fight flailing uselessly against Mua/Fred/Twaikin for negligible damage.

It's by far the easiest way to take down The Classy Man in war battles because even he can't hurt a decently geared Fred with skill investment.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Basically the gist of the trick is:

The Firefly Rune makes enemies naturally favor attacking that character, vastly moreso than anyone else...and this still takes effect in war battles in which you have no real control over the fights. Mua/Fred/Twaikin have incredible defensive capabilities when tuned properly. So what you do is in war battles, give each of them a Firefly Rune, attach them to separate groups and there ya go. Those three units are now incredibly, incredibly unlikely to ever die because the enemy will spend every fight flailing uselessly against Mua/Fred/Twaikin for negligible damage.

It's by far the easiest way to take down The Classy Man in war battles because even he can't hurt a decently geared Fred with skill investment.

Make sure you recruit Twaikin with Tommy for this by the way - the 'hopeless' war battles he faces are very much winnable with this trick and his old man buddy with a Lightning rune and a dwarf backing him.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Wait, Thomas's strategy battles are supposed to be hopeless? Huh.

I was just going to sic Augustine on them, actually. The guy's a champ. But I guess I can give Twaikin a shot too.

It'll be interesting when we can type some of these names without spoilers. Comments will be much more amusing looking, with names trapped in a sea of blacked-out spoilers. :haw:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That particular trick doesn't work terribly well when a certain character has a melee rune s/he activates at will and blasts right past your so-called impervious defense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FairGame posted:

That particular trick doesn't work terribly well when a certain character has a melee rune s/he activates at will and blasts right past your so-called impervious defense.

Admittedly, that particular situation can hurt buuut the relevant characters are sufficiently "block of stats" to eat it and his normal attacks long enough that everyone else can clown on him.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, success in War Battles is all in the setup, so a little bit of cunning goes a long way.

I freakin' love Twaikin, man. There's nothing quite like felling some posturing demon swordsman with a shovel to the head.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

yokaiy posted:

Wait, Thomas's strategy battles are supposed to be hopeless? Huh.

I was just going to sic Augustine on them, actually. The guy's a champ. But I guess I can give Twaikin a shot too.

You're not suppose to have Thomas leading a reckless engine of Destruction over the Zexen Knights typically. I got a unit of Thomas/Twaikin/Piccolo and essentially just utterly curb stomped the battle when you're suppose to just hole up and never engage Percy/Leo.

These ramblings are also ridiculously effective in most random encounters/non-magic boss fights too, by the way. Outside IV and Tactics, the rune can flat out trivialize the game in every appearance, provided you have someone with stupid HP/Defense. (It doesn't work in IV/Tactics because it's Fixed to Eugene and Eugene is not God-Tank. He can be a good tank, but he's got nothing on say, Humphrey in 2.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nothing is funnier in this game than an A+ or S rank in Adrenaline Power

"Fred? You're still alive? I thought you died. Several times."

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

If you do not mind, that would be amazing!

No problem at all. :)

Jeedy Jay posted:

Yeah, success in War Battles is all in the setup, so a little bit of cunning goes a long way.

I freakin' love Twaikin, man. There's nothing quite like felling some posturing demon swordsman with a shovel to the head.

Now I feel bad for never using that spoilered person.

Nothing is funnier in this game than an A+ or S rank in Adrenaline Power

"Fred? You're still alive? I thought you died. Several times."

HMMM you make me want to draw that guy. I guess we've met him a few times now, wouldn't really be spoilers. We'll see.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

No problem at all. :)

It's a thing of beauty. Thanks a ton, yokaiy!

I'd pledge my loyalty, but that seems like a lot of work and ehh

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 1.4 - Tag

Once again, we find ourselves on the plains towards Karaya.

It's still daytime and I don't see any smoke on the horizon, so we're either too late or too early to reach Karaya before it's gone.

We run into a wolf while we're there, which we've never seen before.

It can hardly scratch us, though, and is quickly put out of it's misery. Nothing else eventful happens on the walk to the village, though.

The walk was pleasant enough, but Ace is obviously having some sort of issue with the plan. In that there really isn't much of a plan at all. Just look how angry he looks.

He stops Geddoe just shy of the village.

: "You could say that."

Vague as ever. I don't know why they still try.

: "Then where is our welcoming committee?"

: "I wonder."

On cue, a small number of Karayan warriors approach.

Aila and her lackeys look very irritable. I hope no one does anything stupid.

: "Business...?"

... Yeah, seems accurate.

: "That old man knows magic tricks from faraway lands."

: "Hold on, now! Don't furrow that pretty young brow of yours. You'll get wrinkles early on."

"Like Queen."

: "Who cares about wrinkles! How dare you talk to me like this?"

Yeah, she's not buying it.

Well, he doesn't have a fallback plan. He turns back to the rest of the group and walks back.

: "I don't think this is going too well. Captain?"

: "..."

Well, that went well.

Aila and friends aren't too bad, but they hit pretty hard and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's not really a question of winning or losing, though. Just a question of whether or not anyone will go down.

We start off with a Boronda Hawk, like usual.

:argh:

So, if you get hit hard enough while casting, sometimes you'll get interrupted. Also, you can see that their damage output is pretty good.

Ours is better, though.

This is what really helped, though. Joker's rune has a chance to stun the opponent, and it happened to work against Aila. She's the biggest threat of the group, so this is good.

More Runes are used.

Queen goes down.

And then Geddoe murders everyone.

Something about this like entertains me greatly.

: "Not bad for a little girl either!"

: "What...?!!"

Not again. Queen, why would you do that? Karayans respect powerful warriors, we could have been diplomatic now!

: "Stop it, Aila."

Saved by Jimba.

He walks over to her after he's got her attention.

: "Jimba! Why...?!"

: "I'm sorry, Aila. Those are my guests."

Geddoe walks towards Jimba, once again leaving his band of mercenaries out of the loop.

Sure did a lot of damage for someone not meaning to do any harm.

: "Wha-? Explain!"

So she says, but Aila actually runs back into the village immediately, leading me to believe that it should have been an question mark, not an exclamation point, and that she was so flustered that she ran back home.

They hesitate to watch her go, before turning back to each other.

They then hug in a most bro-like manner. Or at least that's what I'd like to say, but sadly, they don't. I feel like it wouldn't be out of place if they had, though.

: "I apologize. Most of our warriors are away, so those who remain are very edgy."

: "Oh? What happened?"

: "Let's make our way to the village. I'll try to make up for the unfortunate greeting."

: "All right."

Jimba walks off, to meet us in the village, and we're given control again.

It hasn't changed much since we were here as Hugo, but the NPCs confirm our location on the timeline, which is helpful. Like usual, I'll be showing you the interesting ones, but there aren't too many this time around.

Oh, Aila, such a charming girl. :allears:

: "The guy who went to check the lottery result isn't back yet. Wonder if anything happened to him."

He deserved it for liking the lottery.

: "He's been looking for valuable stuff FOREVER! I've had enough. I wish he'd see things my way."

: "Anyone got anything to sell me? Something cheap? Good value?"

I think it's interesting how laid-back Karayans are, considering we know what's about to happen to them. It creates stress on the player to have a bunch of doomed guys act like nothing's wrong. Because we know exactly what's going on, and can't stop it.

When we get to what is actually Lucia's house, not Jimba's, a scene plays. It's not actually shown, but Geddoe and Jimba have both entered her house to chat.

: "Another one of the Captain's secret discussions, huh?"

: "It's always the same."

: "I wish he'd occasionally let us in on his meetings. Doesn't he trust us?"

: "I think we all trust each other. Otherwise, we wouldn't be putting our lives in his hands, and his in ours. Don't you agree?"

: "He has plenty of secrets, but I've never known him to lie."

He'll opt to just leave information out, rather than bothering to come up with a lie. Because eh.

: "He's just so distant!"

: "Oh, well... I'm getting kind of hungry. Old man, how about you?"

I like how Ace handles this situation. He's aggravated, and I can definitely see why, but knowing it's useless to press Geddoe on the matter, he just vents until he's not annoyed anymore. I can sort of relate to this; sometimes you just gotta vent to get over it.

It's never said how long they've been working together, either, so who knows how long the group has had to put up with it. Except Jacques, who is noted later to be a relatively new addition to their group.

: "How about checking out the village and seeing if we can find something to eat?"

He glances between his companions.

: "Good idea. I'm starting to get hungry, too."

I believe Joker was the first one Geddoe picked up. He's just so used to Geddoe's quiet vagueness that he gives absolutely no shits anymore.

His stomach also seems to be a black hole.

: "Queen, what about you?"

: "Oh, that's right, you're a vegetarian... Anyone seen Jacques around?"

HA.

: "Then I guess it's just the two of us."

Buddy Cop movie, anyone?

And thus, we are allowed to play as Ace for a little while! I'm pretty fond of this section, actually. Partially because Ace is a pretty cool guy, but also because it splits focus even further, and we'll see two different sets of events happening at the same time here.

We've only got Joker with us, for this section, but I am okay with this.

: "Ahh, another war coming... I'm tired of this stinking conflict..."

: "You look kinda tough. Wanna be tougher? I'm your man."

I take a moment to increase both of their accuracy. Might as well, while we're just running around doing nothing.

:allears: Oh, Karaya. I am going to miss you.

We don't get very far before a custcene hits, though.

: "It sounds pretty serious."

"Considering we could hear it half-way across the village."

: "We may be outsiders, but how about we take a little peek and see what's going on?"

Over by the entrance, a woman in blue is speaking with the Karayan guards.

: "Have you lost your mind? We'd never abandon our village! Do you think we're cowards!?"

: "That man has condemned you all to die. He has discovered something that will let him justify a million deaths. However, my weak spirit... is not yet ready. So please, heed my warning. Death will consume this village, but only this village need be sacrificed. Hurry! You must all flee!"

SHE'S GOT MAGIC. ABORT! ABORT!

: "What was that?"

: "That woman has great powers. And it's no mere magic, that's true sorcery!"

: "Hey, we could be in trouble!"

The Karayan mooks to Aila's side attempt to attack the woman, but she vanishes.

She reappears not very far away, though.

She vanishes once again, this time for good.

: "You're not getting away!"

Aila runs out on the plains. I assume she has some way of finding that woman?

: "She took off."

Joker nods.

: "I think we should follow her. And I'll bet that woman knows some things we could use."

: "All right. Let's do it."

The two run off after her.

We head for the Plain Amur, to see if we can catch Aila before she does anything stupid.

We'll be playing tag with Aila for a bit. Here, we can see her doing some magic-y thing to the ground.

She runs off after a moment, though.

Our gents are moving at a bit more relaxed of a pace.

: "She sure can run fast!"

: "That's a Grasslander for you. But, where did she go?"

: "Wait a minute... Look there..."

: "Let's go!"

: "Right!"

A screen or so later, we catch up with her again.

The two of them are breathing pretty heavily at this point.

: "Hey, little girl! Tag, you're it!"

She stands up and glares daggers at Ace in response.

: "The spirits of the earth protect the people of Karaya. They will save us."

She runs off again.

Hahaha.

The perspective switches back to Geddoe.

: "I never thought you'd come back here."

: "Same to you. What brings you back? Isn't this supposed to be a cursed land to you?"

The two go a bit further inside and sit. This could probably be a long -- and vague -- conversation, if I know Geddoe.

: "So... are you going to tell me?"

: "Sure. We're tracking down a rumor about the Fire Bringer re-appearing."

:stonk: What.

Is Geddoe... Is he being straight-forward?!

: "I've heard rumors like that often. Recently, the bandits who wreaked havoc with the Matilda Knights a decage ago, spoke of the Fire Bringer."

I believe this is a reference to Suikogaiden, which I will get into when the time comes.

: "Yes, but this is different. I went to see the chief of the Lizard Clan, but soon after meeting him, he was killed. Someone's trying to stir up trouble. And now this Fire Bringer rumor... the old legend..."

: "Too many coincidences?"

Geddoe nods slowly.

: "Yes, basically."

: "Hmmm..."

He seems as though he's about to speak up again, but the meeting is interrupted.

Jimba leaves with the Karayan, but Geddoe stays behind, hoping that his acquaintance won't be terribly long.

But someone comes in to get him, as well.

: "We'd better check it out, don't you think?"

We rejoin Ace and Joker again. It seems they've tracked down Aila, who in turn has tracked down that mysterious woman.

: "I'm impressed you could find me."

: "My grandmother was the mystic of my village. When you use sorcery like hers, the spirits around you start screaming."

: "Refreshing! At the very least, your life was spared."

: "Wh-what?!"

She starts to walk towards the blond woman, but two men warp in behind her.

:ducksiren: Aila you should probably run.

: "!!!"

MOTION BLUR.

: "Joker!"

: "Hm. Pretty shrewd guys..."

The trio ran straight into sunset, apparently.

: "This is not a game. Don't let your pride get in the way. You need to know your opponents. That man in black was no ordinary man. I've seen a lot of evil characters, but nothing like that. If we hadn't gotten out of there when we did, we'd be history."

: "I had to try."

: "You can tell without trying. Never pick a fight unless you know your enemy's strengths and weaknesses."

: "Pfft! There isn't a fighter in Karaya who would accept defeat before they even tried!"

: "Arrg! How can I make you see? Hey, Joker!"

: "?"

: "Just look at that."

: "Th-the village... This can't be!"

She replies very slowly, as if she has to remind herself as well.

We make for Karaya. Again.

And this is getting pretty long, so let's cut it here.

Next time, we watch the village burn for the third time.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

: "I've heard rumors like that often. Recently, the bandits who wreaked havoc with the Matilda Knights a decage ago, spoke of the Fire Bringer."

I believe this is a reference to Suikogaiden, which I will get into when the time comes.

Indeed it is! I could go into a bit of detail about it leaving out the character relevant for this game in the description, of course.

And man, I forgot about her warning. It gives a nice touch to how her character develops.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

yokaiy posted:

And then Geddoe murders everyone.

Requesting this become the thread's new subtitle as a more appropriate evaluation of the game.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

Indeed it is! I could go into a bit of detail about it leaving out the character relevant for this game in the description, of course.

And man, I forgot about her warning. It gives a nice touch to how her character develops.

I'm gonna have an interlude covering it once a certain person comes into the story, but if you've got anything that I miss, I'd be pretty grateful.

Yeah, she's sort of an interesting character. Really, I think I just feel bad for her. She's terribly unlucky.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Requesting this become the thread's new subtitle as a more appropriate evaluation of the game.

Pfft. I might have to do end up doing that. Now how do I change the thread name...

Also, sorry for taking so long, guys. And thanks for waiting for me! I shouldn't have any more hell-weeks for a while, so hopefully you'll be able to get updates a little more often than once a week. :)

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Man in black... Likes bloodshed... Is apparently very strong.

Oh Christ it's Him isn't it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

yokaiy posted:

I'm gonna have an interlude covering it once a certain person comes into the story, but if you've got anything that I miss, I'd be pretty grateful.

Yeah, she's sort of an interesting character. Really, I think I just feel bad for her. She's terribly unlucky.

Pfft. I might have to do end up doing that. Now how do I change the thread name...

Also, sorry for taking so long, guys. And thanks for waiting for me! I shouldn't have any more hell-weeks for a while, so hopefully you'll be able to get updates a little more often than once a week. :)

You have to ask a mod to change the thread name.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Probably the real villains making their cameo. I like that you saved this for last, yokaiy. This is a real "Machete Order" take on Suikoden III.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

cokerpilot posted:

Man in black... Likes bloodshed... Is apparently very strong.

Oh Christ it's Him isn't it.

That's right: Bob Fossey

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Goddamn I love Man in Blacks' outfit. Actually, the whole trio we see here has very evocative designs, but MiB in particular.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Next time, we watch the village burn for the third time.

I do hope it's not habit-forming.

Nothing wrong with the outfit, but those collapsing swords look so silly.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

vilkacis posted:

Are those collapsing swords? I just always assumed he magicked them out of his coat sleeves because...well...it's Him. He could fight with rubber ducky and still beat the living tar out of 90% of the world.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

vilkacis posted:

Come on, are you going to tell him that they look silly?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is that the staff chick from the opening?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Xander77 posted:

Yes. Of course, the standard disclaimers about the opening not being exactly accurate to the game apply.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Khisanth Magus posted:

You have to ask a mod to change the thread name.

You guys are on your own there, then. :effort: I don't really mind if you wanna PM a mod to ask for it, but I can't PM, so it'd be a hassle.

vilkacis posted:

How else is he gonna hide them in his sleeves?

On that note, his animation for taking out his swords and putting them back is literally one frame. I didn't get a single shot of it. He goes through the motion, then POOF, it's there. Or gone. Depending on the animation.

Xander77 posted:

All three of them are in the opening, actually. Sarah gets way more screen time than MiB and MiC though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Are those collapsing swords? I just always assumed he magicked them out of his coat sleeves because...well...

I'm pretty sure. You can see how they fold up.

The fact that he probably could magic them out of his sleeves only makes it sillier.

Testekill posted:

Come on, are you going to tell him that they look silly?

If I'm close enough to have a conversation with him already, I don't think I have much to lose :v:

yokaiy posted:

How else is he gonna hide them in his sleeves?

By making his sleeves bigger on the inside, of course!

Edit: Speaking of bigger on the inside, your link to the latest chapter is broken in the OP.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 17, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

I'm pretty sure. You can see how they fold up.

The fact that he probably could magic them out of his sleeves only makes it sillier.

If I'm close enough to have a conversation with him already, I don't think I have much to lose :v:

By making his sleeves bigger on the inside, of course!

Edit: Speaking of bigger on the inside, your link to the latest chapter is broken in the OP.

Oops, I'm dumb. Fixed, thanks!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Very cool LP. S3 has the luxury of being centered around three very solid 'main' characters, while most similar games sweat to be able to get a single likable protagonist going.

I started with Geddoe's path myself, and then going through Hugo's I felt it may not have been the best choice story-wise. However, I had won first -and- third prize in the lottery (on my very first try) with Geddoe, making me filthy rich, and like hell I was going to start over. So yeah, Geddoe murders everything? You try it when he's wearing the best gear in every slot purchased from the Rare Finds section of stores. Switching from his party to the others felt like taking charge of the Washington Generals.

The Suikoden III Manga are quite nice as well and add a lot of depth to many overlooked characters. I wish they were not nearly impossible to find in my country. Though they did turn our brave knight Chris into a bit of a weepy insecure lass, in the parts I got to leaf through. And the explanation for Geddoe's stoic autopilot personality (at least in part) was also beliavable and well-done.

Mechanics-wise, I can't say I like the whole combat-pairing system too much. That and having to pray that your characters would not blunder into your own AOEs as they were cast, or the enemy would not move outside of them, were my biggest issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Though they did turn our brave knight Chris into a bit of a weepy insecure lass, in the parts I got to leaf through.

Figures. Third-party adaptations can never seem avoid warping characters around the author's preferences.

I love the way Geddoe seems to go way back with all the leaders and heroes of the area. He's written in a way that has him come across as an unusually credible "Fantasy CIA Man".

• Locked thread