Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, if it did the thing where you could walk right past an area on the world map once you'd explored end to end (provided there was no plot point inside), it would help.

Granted, there's a rune somewhat later on that minimizes the annoyance factor when doing this in sufficiently low level areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.
You do get a means to teleport, but it's really late in the game.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Zosephine posted:

And as I recall, the plot STILL forces you to go through the pathway areas anyway way more than it should. Also the enemies get tougher too, which can be a pain indeed.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Zosephine posted:

More than that, teleporting is a two stage operation. You get to teleport to locations rather late in the game, but don't get the accompanying Blinking Mirror unless you take an additional step that's not particularly intuitive. I imagine that whole scenario will be the subject of quite a lot of discussion when we get there.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Thomas Chapter 1.1 - Crumbly Old House

Today, we get to try out someone new -- our little castle lord Thomas.

As you can guess from the size of his flame, his story isn't quite as long as the others, and is actually optional. I don't know why someone wouldn't want to play through his story, but the choice is there.

We begin his tale before we met him as Geddoe.

You see, we join him as he first arrives at Budehuc Castle.

: "Oh well, it's not our job to ask why."

I'm unsure exactly where this is on the timeline, but it is probably around or shortly after the peace negotiations fell through between Grassland and Zexen.

Anyway, we're given a moment to check out what Thomas has to offer before heading into the castle grounds, so let's take a look.

Oh.

Oh.

Oh my.

:smith:

Well, let's just hope he doesn't have to do any fighting.

We don't get very far in before being assaulted by a young girl in armor.

Thomas looks around a bit before replying, to make sure no one else is around she could have been addressing instead.

: "Huh? You mean me?"

: "Who else could I mean?"

: "Oh, um... I'm Thomas. And you?"

: "I command the castle guards here. We're expecting a new master today. Mr. Sebastian told me not to let anyone suspicious inside."

She bows a little.

: "But..."

: "Speak up! But what?"

: "I am the new master. This IS Budehuc Castle, isn't it?"

She bows again, much more energetically this time.

: "Certainly, sir! You said your name was Thomas, right?"

: "Yes. Nice to meet you."

Hoo boy. Another Level 1?

Well, we'll look at her later. For now, let's get to the manor.

Thomas and Cecile both glance around for entirely different reasons.

: "What the--? He was with me a minute ago."

I believe the line she was looking for was "He was here a minute ago."

A large man wanders in at the top of the stairs, glances around...

Before full-out sprinting down the steps to meet the two.

He glances to the sides of Cecile before addressing her.

: "Did I hear you right, Cecile? You've met the new master?"

: "Yes!"

: "Hmm?"

His gaze finally settles on Thomas.

: "No, um, I mean..."

: "He is here, sir! Allow me to introduce Thomas, the castle's new master!"

: "Huh!"

The scene cuts, as the cast of this chapter relocates to a separate room so Thomas can introduce himself all at once.

:stonk: What a face.

: "In case you need more proof, I brought along this letter. I'm not very familiar with Zexen ways."

He's not a Zexen? Well, he doesn't look like a Grasslander either. Wonder what he's doing getting put in charge of a Zexen castle.

: "But what?"

: "Oh, don't mind me. It looks like introductions are in order all around."

: "I'd love to meet everyone. After all, if we're all going to live together, we should know one another. Can you gather everybody together?"

: "Everyone?"

: "Yes, unless there isn't enough room."

: "..."

: "I can't believe that kid! I rushed over to meet him here."

Thomas takes a moment to take this in, before turning his attention to Cecile.

: "But, Cecile, I thought you said you were the commander of the guards."

: "Quite right, sir. That I am."

She nods.

: "Are you the only guard here?"

: "Aye, sir. I am responsible for the welfare of this entire place!"

Oh. Cool.

: "So here stands the whole lot?"

The scene cuts again.

: "These are the master's quarters. Please make yourself comfortable."

: "Thank you."

: "We'll cover more details tomorrow, if that's good for you."

: "Not at all, Master Thomas. And you needn't call me 'sir.' You're the master. I'm merely your butler."

Thomas nods in confirmation.

: Sebastian it is, then."

: "If I may take my leave, there are matters that require my attention."

He pauses on the way out.

: "Since we no longer have maids, we must clean up after ourselves."

Jeez, what happened to this place to make it so... dilapidated?

: "Of course. That won't be a problem."

: "Well, if you'll excuse me."

He leaves for real this time.

: ".... I feel so tired."

No problem, Thomas. I'm sure you've run plenty of castles before this one, right?

... Right?

We rejoin Thomas the next morning, feeling much more sure of today than the previous. Or at least I hope so. Anyway, we're given free-reign to explore the castle now, so let's do that. You'll have to bear with me as the inside doesn't have a mini-map. I drew some up for you guys, at the very least, so hopefully they will help.

We start in the bedroom, of course. There's a door to the far right, but there's also a doorway to the left.

It leads to an office space of sorts.

There's a door out of this room to the right as well, so let's take it this time.

Hm. Well. That is certainly a hole. The door further down is the one leading to his bedroom.

There are two more doors down the hallway.

The door on the right leads to a guest bedroom.

And the left to an empty gallery.

You can interact with all the pedestals, and choose to place objects on them. We don't have any we can display right now, obviously, and the lunch box won't fly here, delicious as it may or may not be.

Here, we have the staircase on the left, but the hall continues further so let's see the rest of this floor before going down.

On the right side, we have a door leading to the library tucked away in a corner.

It's... seen better days.

There's another section over here. No one is there yet, but Ernie will take up residence in this little corner here. Since Geddoe's little recruitment party hasn't happened yet, we won't be seeing anyone he convinced to settle down in the area yet.

Oh, and Eike is in here. Let's say 'hi.' Only polite to introduce ourselves on a more personal level, after all.

: "Uh, um... I came to say hello."

: "...."

Thomas's awkward smile fades pretty quickly.

: "Ahem. Errr."

He gives a small, curt bow.

: "What were you thinking about?"

: "Aw, shucks, now... That's rather private."

Thomas sighs.

: "You're right. None of my business. See you around."

: "...."

Thomas, you're not very good at making friends, are you?

Back outside, there's a very broken elevator. I'm sort of impressed that this castle even has one, elevators are very rare in the Suikoden universe. It seems like only those chosen by the stars can make them.

The path continues around, but there's not much to see.

It doesn't finish wrapping around, either. We're across from the stairs here. If I could move the camera, Thomas would be staring at them.

Anyway, let's head downstairs.

Oh, hey. It's Sebastian.

: "Good morning, Mr. Sebastian."

: "Good morning, master. Remember, it's just Sebastian."

: "As I see it, you're in charge of making decisions which concern the castle and domain."

: "Oh, you mean solving its problems and straightening out issues and such?"

: "Uh, yes... You could say that. First, you must introduce yourself to the people of the castle."

"We are so boned."

: "Right. Yes, that's what I'll do."

Well, we'll do that, but we still need to explore as well.

We've got a save point hiding to the left of the stairs, as well as another big drat hole, through which we can see a boat.

There's a hall branching off to the left wing, with a pretty grand set of doors waiting in a conveniently visible spot.

Inside, a rather impressive room. I'll call it the meeting room.

The door to the side over there leads back out into the hallway, but around the corner this time.

The door on the opposite side of the hall leads to a restaurant or inn of some sort. It has a stage, and a fair amount of booze lying around as well. To the right of the stage is a small kitchen of sorts. On the opposite side of the room is a door leading outside, but we won't be taking it so just keep in mind that it exists.

The other door in the hallway, by the collapsed wall, leads to a second guest room.

There's only one door you can go in on the far right of the first floor.

And it's some sort of... office?

Finally, elevator.

And stairs down.

We hit the basement levels of the castle by proceeding downward.

Once we pass the staircase, there are two paths to take. Let's say hi to our fluffy friend over there before we take the path on the right.

Oh my gosh he has little bones on his shirt. :syoon:

: "It's Thomas."

: "My blunder. Okay, Thomas. Here you see the warehouse."

He points at Thomas when he says 'my blunder,' as if to say 'Yeah, man. I got you covered.' It's sort of cute.

: "What I lack in mental skills, I make up for in physical strength."

Except he's a support character.

: "Oh. What does Mr. Sebastian do?"

: "He cooks, mostly. Our chef left, you see. The butler's food does not please all, but I find it tasty."

: "Poor guy. He's faced with many tasks."

The right path is where they keep their graveyard.

Complete with actual spirits haunting it! The whisps are purely for visual effect, but it's a nice touch.

Does that tombstone say "Insomnia?"

This is also how we get to our boat.

There's not much to see in it right now, though. It's also simple enough to not need a map drawn. Those doors both lead to rather abandoned studies, by the way.

On deck, we have some laundry.

There are a few different screens to explore.

But there's really nothing here right now, so let's go back inside.

To the right of where we came down from, there's an elevator and the stairs heading down.

So we head down once again.

The door in the background of the above screen there leads to this store room.

There are some pretty poorly kept cells a bit further down.

And after finding an oddly winding path, we find an exit out of the manse. This time we actually will be taking it outside.

And, we've got a mini-map again! Not much to look at right now, but that crumbly structure will end up being a shop eventually. For Scott, I believe. We can also use the stairs to get back up to the main entrance of the manor, but let's go south instead.

There's another set of stairs, this one leading into the plaza, as well as a bujutsu teacher set up. He... is he asleep on the grass?

He manages to force his eyes open for a brief conversation if we head over to him.

: "Huh? Who are you?"

: "Why, I'm Thomas, the new master here."

"Which you would know if you hadn't skipped the meeting last night."

: "A new master? Again?"

: "What do you mean 'again'?"

: "Since our original master ran away three years ago, there've been three more. None lasted more than a month."

: "Really? Why's that?"

: "Noble families send their second sons here to become master. They don't have what it takes."

That's... encouraging.

: "Well, no..."

: "So, why are you here?"

: "Well, I-I... uh..."

: "I knew it. Well, I'm busy with my nap. You think you could leave me alone?"

: "What's your name?"

: "It's Juan. Listen, I'm going to catch forty winks. I'll see you later, if you're still the master."

Well, that was a bit harsh.

There's nothing there yet, but Peggi (and I think Dominic?) will set up shop next to him once they get here. For now, let's continue on the road east.

There's a stable over on the far side of the property. We're missing whatever animals we'd put in them, but the space is there if and when we get them.

:getout:

The front entrance to the house looks like so. The entrance directly above us is the main entrance, and the one to the left leads to the restaurant and kitchen. The stairs all the way to the left on the mini-map would lead to the dungeon-entrance and Scott's shop.

And the main area of the castle grounds. The left will have shops eventually, and Jeane will be one of the lucky ones to get that area. Steps to the left lead to Juan. The two buildings to the right are the inn and Piccolo's tent.

Martha has a stall built in to the inn.

: "Oh, it's our master. Welcome. Well? Would you like to buy a lottery ticket?"

I have mixed feelings about Martha. On one hand, she is a badass old lady. On the other? Lottery tickets.

: "Uh, no, I'm just here to say hello."

: "That's a very nice gesture. I'm going to be in trouble if you don't work hard as our master. Ever since our last master ran away three years ago, we've been without one, and the castle's been in turmoil. Thanks to that, I hardly have any customers."

She shakes her head.

: "I have a business to run. I'm really counting on you."

: "Uh, right. Yes."

: "..."

We walk away very briskly.

Here's Piccolo's tent from the outside.

: "You can count on me to help you with any troubles."

: "Thank you. I'm Thomas. Pleased to meet you. What kind of things can a sorcerer do?"

: "My particular specialty is fortune-telling!"

: "Fortune-telling? Is that some kind of magic?"

: "Hahahaha."

... I can't decide what kind of answer that is.

Cecile is hanging out by the entrance, so let's say hi to her as well.

Level one.

: "I'm glad to hear that. Who would attack the castle?"

: "Anything from wolves to mountain bandits."

: "I heard this was considered part of the Grassland frontier. Does anyone come here from Grassland?"

: "Yes, all the time."

: "Are they sightseeing or what?"

: "Some have relatives here. Muto and Martha see theirs every now and then."

Hm. I figured Martha was a Grasslander, but Muto?

: "Oh, is that right?"

: "No one pats much attention to the fact this is Zexen land. Sebastian used to send Zexens away, but now things are slack."

Send Zexens away? But... this is a Zexen castle?

: "Hmm... I see. I don't really know much about Grassland and Zexen."

: "Oh. I was born in the northern Outlands."

The Outlands are supposedly north of Zexen and Grassland, but no specific geographic location has ever been given for it. Which just further brings up the question, what right does Thomas have to a Zexen castle?

: "Then, what brought you here?"

: "Well, that's a long story."

The scene fades into a sepia-tone flashback of Thomas in the Council hall in Vinay.

Apologies for the blur. In order to display the scene without a bunch of blocks at the top, I had to do a thing. Thank you to whoever told me how to do that in the thread! I forget who...

: "Oh, yes. I remember something about that. So, you finally made it, eh?"

: "Uhhh..."

He shakes his head dismissively.

: "Oh, never mind. I'll think of it and make the arrangements. I'll appoint you master of the castle. You won't be any trouble there."

: "M-Master of a castle?"

: "Once I finish the arrangements, could you leave Vinay del Zexay immediately? It wouldn't be good for you to wander about here."

: "Uh, yes... Sure."

: "Oh..."

Oh. :smith:

: "Uh, right... I guess so."

:3:

That's everyone, but let's check out the inn a bit before we head back into the mansion.

Reception desk. Sebastian would normally be taking up his post here, but he's pretty busy looking after all conceivable things that need doing at the castle right now.

Behind the desk are some stairs. They lead to a single room, which takes up the entire second floor.

It looks like this.

There's also a mess-hall of sorts downstairs, to the right of the desk. You can see the stairs in the background.

Well, that's everything for now, let's head back to the house.

Sebastian comes running for us immediately as we enter.

: "What's the matter, Mr. Sebastian?"

: "I'm terribly sorry. I forgot to send a letter to the Knights."

: "Letter?"

: "Yes, sir. The Council has to approve a change of castle master, and nothing can be finalized before the letter of approval has been sent to the Knights. I completely forgot about it."

: "We just have to send the letter, right?"

: "Yes, sir. We have to send a letter to Brass Castle, the headquarters of the Knights. And, well... We'd normally use a messenger, but we lack one at the moment."

Yeah, Thomas can totally take care of a little letter.

: "That would be splendid, sir. I'll prepare the letter now, if you don't mind waiting."

He takes off once again, and the scene cuts to a little while later.

: "Yes. Take the safest route."

: "We'll try. Stay close to me, Thomas."

: "We're cutting through Grassland to get to Brass Castle. Who knows? We might encounter monsters, bandits, or even Curly Snails! Do you have a sword?"

Wait. What?

: "Yes. I've hardly ever used it. It's not in great shape, either."

We're crossing the Yaza Plains? With two level one characters?

: "No matter. My sword will protect us both. That's why you need to stay close to me."

Remember, the kanji for sword and blade are only different by a single stroke! :eng101:

: "I'll remember that."

: "Well, have a good trip!"

Oh boy, this is gonna be an experience. :sigh:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Ahhh, Thomas's chapters. Definitely a change of pace for the series, but a nice one! There's no evil monster/madman that you're ordained by fate to stop, just one kid trying to find his way in the world.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

That flashback used an awful lot of subtext, but it sounds like Thomas is the bastard son of that council member and an Outlander who apparently decided to send him off to make his fortune. Probably didn't help the kid's self esteem issues that the one and only time he met his dad he called him one of two problems nagging at him.

Is there any point in the game when the Zexay council members don't come off as giant dickweeds?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is there any point in the game when the Zexay council members don't come off as giant dickweeds?

Well sometimes they aren't on camera.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

That flashback used an awful lot of subtext, but it sounds like Thomas is the bastard son of that council member and an Outlander who apparently decided to send him off to make his fortune. Probably didn't help the kid's self esteem issues that the one and only time he met his dad he called him one of two problems nagging at him.

The manga, iirc, states that Thomas' mother died, and left him his father's identity as a 'He'll take care of you' emergency measure, which makes this entire thing worse.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Amidiri posted:

The manga, iirc, states that Thomas' mother died, and left him his father's identity as a 'He'll take care of you' emergency measure, which makes this entire thing worse.

The game touches on Thomas' mother, and how she died. I'll wait to comment on it until we get the scene, though, since I think it's a rather defining character moment (for both Thomas and someone else).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Not only that, it was implied that he was far from the first son who was either born on the wrong side of the sheets or was simply the unfavored son that was pushed to a derelict castle to get rid of him.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Thomas' chapters are all worth their momentary frustrations. As a wise friend of mine once summed up: "The denouement is the best." Just wait for it. :3:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Thomas has the True Cutscene Rune.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Naw, just the One Ring.

I'm not sure I want to know what kind of spider makes webs that thick.

Or what they expect to catch in them.

Thomas' chapters are great. Looking forward to this. :3:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Yup. All the subtext is indeed pointing to him being that councilman's illegitimate son. It'll be confirmed for real a bit later, but it's not too hard to make the connection now. It's a really good scene, though, so look forward to it when it happens.

As a side-note, this particular councilman is actually named. I think it's mentioned in the manga, though, not the game. Anyway, his name is Lowma. I don't think any of the other council members even get names, so that's something.

As another side-note, Thomas is actually the Tenkai Star of this game. Geddoe is the Tenju Star, Hugo is the Tenshou Star, and Chris is the Tenbi Star, in case you were wondering.

vilkacis posted:

They seem a bit too small for Arachnavores, so maybe they're just really big normal spiders?

Muto could probably chase them down. Maybe get Koroku to help, too. Actually, that'd be pretty :kimchi:.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow. Thomas is already shaping up to be a blend of :smith:overdrive and :3:. I also do like the contrast to everyone else we've seen; Hugo is a Grasslander who just lost his home, Chris is a Zexan knight with conflicting feelings over her duties/superiors, Geddoe is :effort: made humanoid, while Thomas is just a kid trying to be normal and establish a life for himself. I look forward to seeing his chapters.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

vilkacis posted:

Cobwebs are basically a combination of generations of spiders setting up shop in the same locations and dust settling on the sticky strands until they end up several times as thick as they were to start out with.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Thomas's initial crew of characters are all the best. They're all so different from the rest of the initial parties in this game. Just a rag-tag group of down on their luck shopkeepers and house staff, with so much charm.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Cecile and Muto totally make Thomas' chapters. They're just so adorable.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's fun about Cecile is that she's actually not too bad mechanically, if I recall (that is okay to mention, I presume?). She gets pretty hard to kill!

As an aside, sorry I forgot to tell you about the blur. In software mode, which is the only mode that shows the sepia tone, it'll only run at native res.

Also, save often. You'll be switching modes a lot, and sometimes it will crash when you do it.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Zutaten posted:

Thomas's initial crew of characters are all the best. They're all so different from the rest of the initial parties in this game. Just a rag-tag group of down on their luck shopkeepers and house staff, with so much charm.

Yeah, each of the Thomas' crew have their own unique roles and character. Except Sebastian.

What exactly does he do.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

He buttles, sir.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Tallgeese posted:

What's fun about Cecile is that she's actually not too bad mechanically, if I recall (that is okay to mention, I presume?). She gets pretty hard to kill!

As an aside, sorry I forgot to tell you about the blur. In software mode, which is the only mode that shows the sepia tone, it'll only run at native res.

Also, save often. You'll be switching modes a lot, and sometimes it will crash when you do it.

Yep, that's fine to mention. Battle capacity isn't really a spoiler. :) She's actually a huge asset in Thomas's chapters, especially early on. While she and Thomas are both level one at the start, she's about 10 times more capable from the get-go.

Heh, that's fine. If it weren't for you we'd have been watching that scene with giant tetris blocks blocking the top half. And okay, I'll save a lot. I make save states fairly frequently though, so I'm not too worried.

Torgo2727 posted:

Yeah, each of the Thomas' crew have their own unique roles and character. Except Sebastian.

What exactly does he do.

Vil posted:

He buttles, sir.

At the moment, he's pretty much doing everything around the castle. Cooking, cleaning, probably taking care of supplies and funds, pretty much everything that needs doing in the absence of a castle lord. As Thomas settles into his new job a bit better, Sebastian will be manning the inn. And be Thomas's butler whenever he needs something buttled?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Butlers are actually masters of the wine cellar. Characters such as Jeeves in Jeeves and Wooster are valets rather than butlers, the master's head manservant. Though as far as Jeeves goes it should be noted that if need be "he could buttle with the bet of them".

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013

yokaiy posted:

As you can guess from the size of his flame, his story isn't quite as long as the others, and is actually optional.

It's not the size of the flame that matters, but the Trueness of your Rune!

Um, yeah. Thomas' chapter is good fun. It can be tricky at times seeing what level Thomas and crew start at, but it's doable.

I like to think there are rune cannons or piles of Thunder and Cyclone runes in some of those storage rooms, and Muto just doesn't think to mention it. He's the type who wouldn't bring it up until a few minutes after the game ends. He knows his weakness though, and that's something.

Look at Martha. Always pushing people to become gambling addicts. If she had her way, she'd set up a casino at the castle. With all the minigames that have appeared in Suikoden. Actually, that's not a bad idea, even if I only played those games to recruit the gambler star.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
I really like how they use Juan as a motivating factor to get the player to care about Thomas' chapters. If for some reason you were on the fence about how much you care about Thomas and his plight Juan's whole "I bet you can't" speech really motivates you to prove him wrong.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

No it doesn't. It just motivates me to flip Juan the bird and walk away.

It's honestly very hard to care about anything that happens in Thomas' chapters because it is so uuuguh boring and stilted, although the whole game is very stilted. the rest of the game doesn't feature thomas' horribly boring scenario writing on par with Breath of Fire "Make a sushi roll so that someday you beat the Evil Goddess" storytelling.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 11, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Doesn't Cecile automatically Fury if Thomas goes down? I seem to recall this being a thing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

yokaiy posted:

As another side-note, Thomas is actually the Tenkai Star of this game. Geddoe is the Tenju Star, Hugo is the Tenshou Star, and Chris is the Tenbi Star, in case you were wondering.

I'm wondering what the heck you're talking about. What does that mean?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In Suikoden, everyone corresponds to one of 108 different stars. Tenkai is the protagonist star.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To expand on that, Suikoden games feature 108 recruitable characters known as the Stars of Destiny. The Star names (Tenkai, etc) are the same across all games (and usually exhibit similar roles/personalities/whatever) because the concept is taken from a 14th century Chinese classic story known as Water Margin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_of_Destiny

In Suikoden games, the main character is the Tenkai Star, or the leader of people.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bruceski posted:

Butlers are actually masters of the wine cellar. Characters such as Jeeves in Jeeves and Wooster are valets rather than butlers, the master's head manservant. Though as far as Jeeves goes it should be noted that if need be "he could buttle with the bet of them".
As I understand it, butlers were generally the head manservant and in charge of managing the male servants (and anything involved in serving food etc.). The valet was the personal servant of the master of the house and thus had a great bit of autonomy, but was not generally a manager.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PFlats posted:

As I understand it, butlers were generally the head manservant and in charge of managing the male servants (and anything involved in serving food etc.). The valet was the personal servant of the master of the house and thus had a great bit of autonomy, but was not generally a manager.

Looks like it's both. Originated as winemaster, has morphed into the head of the servants.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Podima posted:

To expand on that, Suikoden games feature 108 recruitable characters known as the Stars of Destiny. The Star names (Tenkai, etc) are the same across all games (and usually exhibit similar roles/personalities/whatever) because the concept is taken from a 14th century Chinese classic story known as Water Margin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_of_Destiny

In Suikoden games, the main character is the Tenkai Star, or the leader of people.

Suikoden 3 is the anomaly in that the Tenkai isn't the protagonist, but they instead focused more on the interpretation of the Tenkai as the enabler of the other stars gathering, even if he himself doesn't have proper Protagonist Power.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A few other stars also generally correspond with types of people, or just outright specific people in the case where they show up in multiple games.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I don't know what you're talking about. Clearly, Thomas is the protagonist of the story; he just showed up late. Look at those clothes. If those aren't the garb of a True Hero, I don't know what are. I mean, two minutes in, and he's ruling a castle filled with loyal minions, and he has a spunky sidekick. Plus he gets a Quest at the five minute mark. He doesn't hesitate and leaps at the Call to Adventure.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

mageofthesands posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. Clearly, Thomas is the protagonist of the story; he just showed up late. Look at those clothes. If those aren't the garb of a True Hero, I don't know what are. I mean, two minutes in, and he's ruling a castle filled with loyal minions, and he has a spunky sidekick. Plus he gets a Quest at the five minute mark. He doesn't hesitate and leaps at the Call to Adventure.

Besides, everyone knows the unassuming hobbit is always the leader.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doesn't Cecile automatically Fury if Thomas goes down? I seem to recall this being a thing.

Yes, she does indeed go berserk when he's downed.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Obviously already been touched on by everyone else, but it means that he's the gatherer of other Stars, which are all the playable characters.

mageofthesands posted:

Well, he certainly has a way of moving plot, at the very least. :cheeky:

ProfessorCirno posted:

A few other stars also generally correspond with types of people, or just outright specific people in the case where they show up in multiple games.

Some of them are really well-suited for their Star, as well. Hugo, for example? His star is the Wounded Star. Borus is the Chimou Star, which is the Ferocious Star. And a bunch of others that I can't say yet because it's spoiler-y.

Then you've got some that don't make sense as well. Koroku, for example, is the Devil Star, the Chima. Which is especially odd because there actually is a Dog Star (Chikou), so I don't know why they wouldn't make him be that one, considering he's a dog. :iiam: Joe is the Lone Star (Tenko), which is both incredibly silly, and yet somehow appropriate.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Makes sense. The lone voice of reason in a village of Stupid Ducks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I meant more in terms of how they're used throughout the series. Like, narccisists tend to be one star, elevator repair men are always the same star, that sort of thing.

• Locked thread