Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

FairGame posted:

Yeah but she gets The Best Character at the end of...Chapter 2? 3 maybe? I forget. We'll know when s/he arrives.

The tail-end of 2, I believe, if I know who we're talking about.

Anyway, update coming later tonight! It's almost done right now, but I've got to run and do things shortly, so I'll have to upload the rest of the pictures when I get back.

Was sort of hoping we could get to a new page in the thread before I post the new update, but there's just not too much to discuss with Thomas yet.

e: WELL that was perfect timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Thomas Chapter 1.3 - Haven't We Already Found You?

Good morning, Thomas. Hope you're ready for a nice, long day of figuring out what the hell a castle lord does.

: "Whoa... I didn't see Mr. Sebastian this morning either."

I assume Sebastian usually wakes him up in the morning.

He's still not in his usual spot, either. Was he doing something suspicious? Or maybe he got attacked! Or kidnapped.

Or he's right outside.

: "Are you listening to me? I'd like to speak to the master!"

: "Uh, yes. Of course. Right away. Ah! Thomas. Excellent."

: "Uh, yes, well... Apparently this woman's child has been missing since last night. Even I have joined the search. But he's nowhere to be found."

Well, that explains why we couldn't find him.

: "Are you the master of the castle?!"

There's going to be a fair amount of bowing in the next five minutes.

Like so.

: "Anyway, my child has been gone since last night. I thought perhaps he had come to the castle, since he so enjoys playing here."

: "But I've looked all over the grounds without success."

Showing off the animations they give this woman.

: "His name is Thomas too? I'd love to help, but we don't really have any soldiers..."

The scene fades as Thomas plans a course of action.

We rejoin him after he's gathered the crew in the courtyard.

: "So we'll all have to do our part to help look for him. Can I count on everyone here?"

: "There are all kinds of places around here that need to be repaired, so he might have fallen in somewhere."

Money later, Sebastian. Little Thomas first.

: "It's true. The way things are at this castle, I'm making no money at all! Someone really ought to do something about it."

Later, Martha.

: "Hohohohohoho..."

... You know what? Okay. You just keep on doing... whatever you're doing, Piccolo.

: "We'll find him! I stake my title and reputation on it!"

She's so proud of her title. :3:

: "Hohohoho... It's not like I've got customers coming. I might as well go along."

: "I'll ask around. Maybe one of my friends has heard something."

: "And I-I'll try the village nearby for more clues."

: "Uh, um... I have a question."

: "What is it?"

:allears: :cripes: Quick, I need an emote that is the combination of these two.

The crew all hesitates.

I guess Thomas runs him through the situation again, but we don't get to see it.

: "Anyway, let's start by looking inside the castle."

: "Yes. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to go around."

We regain control, so let's look at Piccolo!

First, you'll notice that he's not a support character, which is actually a bit of a surprise, given that he's just a shop keeper. He comes a few levels above Cecile and Thomas, and is sporting a Lightning Rune and a Mallet Rune. The Mallet Rune is unique to him, and is sort of lovely. The Lightning Rune? Well... he's actually not that great with it. It's useful, but probably won't see much mileage. Especially compared to Geddoe. So much for being powerful magician.

He's got some scrolls on him, which we'll be saving for something specific, but they'll end up being more convenient than his runes since they don't have a casting time. That Sacrificial Jizo he's holding will revive him automatically when his HP hits 0, and then disappear forever.

Well, let's start searching.

Not downstairs.

Let's try the second floor before we head further down.

He certainly looks creepy enough to be a kidnapper.

: "I went to tell both Eike and Juan that you were calling, but I couldn't find them anywhere. That's no surprise when it comes to Juan, mind you."

: "Let's hope they're not missing too."

:stare:

So the trick here it to investigate key places in the castle and trigger scenes while looking for Little Thomas. As such, I won't be showing off all the non-scene areas, but I'll show off a couple.

Not in our room. Let's check downstairs.

: "Oh, that. A storm sent it crashing in here one day. You could hear it being wrecked miles away."

: "But we can't leave it like that."

: "Well, it's seriously damaged. Can't sail it anymore, if that's what you were thinking."

: "Why not leave it as a landmark? No other castle has anything remotely like it."

: "I should think not."

Well, not in the ship.

Not on it, either.

Aaand, no. Well, time to check outside.

Juan is, in fact, missing, if you check out his shop.

Little Thomas did not fall down the well.

: "What's this place?"

: "Soldiers once used it as a mess hall. It's been abandoned for years, but kids still like to play here. Though it doesn't look like there's anyone here now."

: "A mess hall, huh? We should be able to make use of it."

Exploring the grounds in search of the kid has really gotten Thomas to think a bit about the castle facilities.

Man, he's not here either. This is totally where I would have played as a kid.

Juan is back. Let's have a word with his lazy butt. And the rest of him too.

: "Hey, Juan! There you are! Where'd you go? Thomas summoned everyone, but I couldn't find you or Eike."

: "By training, you mean you went for a walk? Come on, a boy from the village of Nor has gone missing, and we're forming a search party. Are you with us, Juan?"

Nor is another location that wasn't ever actually placed anywhere geographically. It's probably close by, if a kid can come to Budehuc to play all on his own.

: "Aw, it's probably nothing. It's not unusual for a child to disappear from home for 2 or 3 days. I was like that once."

: "He's probably nothing like you."

Suddenly, he's actually paying attention, and opens his eyes all the way.

: "Huh?! Do you know anything about it?!"

: "Uh, yeah. In a way. You could probably find him at Hei-Tou Mountain."

:stare: Why.

: "Huh? How do you know that?"

: "Oh, I was taking an afternoon nap at Nor Village, and this Thomas kid came around. I told him how I once slew a tiger at Hei-Tou Mountain. All of a sudden, he got really excited and ran off. I thought he left because it was lunchtime."

:cripes:

: "Oh, my. We'd better leave right away!"

: "I guess I'm partly responsible for this, so I'll got along with you this one time. Just this time."

: "Now, now... Have you made all your preparations? Leave the castle to me. You go on."

: "All right. I'm counting on you."

I... uh... Okay. Thank you, Muto.

: "Right. Let's go."

Right, so. Let's talk about Juan for a bit. As a Bujutsu Teacher, he's got the Bujutsu Teacher support skill, despite not actually being a support character. This means we can use his skill to increase our skills out on the field. As a fighter, he is incredibly capable. Or, he would be, if his Waking Rune didn't make him very situational.

Oh, what's that? What is the Waking Rune?

Well. Let me put it this way.

Juan is SO lazy, he has a rune that makes him start battles asleep. And you thought Geddoe was lethargic.

The flip-side of that is, when he gets woken up, he automatically goes berserk. And the flip side of that is that he has to get hit in order to wake up.

I like it in theory, as it really adds to his character to have this quirk to him. However, in practice? It is super annoying.

The rune is locked on him, as well, so you can't remove it. You can nullify its effect by having him equip a Yellow Scarf, which negates the sleep status, but it's a pain and we don't have one yet. I believe it also gets rid of the berserking part of his rune, as well, at which point it's just taking up a precious rune slot.

He's quite good when he decides to be awake, except for his lovely accuracy. He has a harder time hitting things than Thomas did.

He also doesn't take much damage, usually, so getting hit isn't worrisome. It's just that he might not get hit that's the issue, because then he'll spend the whole fight out cold.

Fun fact: Piccolo gets around by teleporting. It's pretty nifty.

He's not too much help, but he's doing better than Thomas, so the extra damage is welcome, no matter how little it is.

Blade bunnies are the only new creatures in this area, and they're only a threat if your name is Thomas.

Anyway, we move on to the mountain.

: "I'm right by your side, Thomas. I'll protect you from everything -- tigers, monsters, bears... Don't worry about a thing!"

: "Will this place really be that dangerous?"

: "Hohohohoho... The great fortuneteller Piccolo is here with you. You need not worry."

Don't worry, Thomas. He'll be able to foresee your gruesome death before it happens. :downs:

You're not getting out of this so easily, young man. :colbert:

I just like this screen a lot. Thomas and Piccolo are so done with Juan's crap.

The mountain is about the same as the plains when it comes to enemies, with one exception.

Creepers are back, and they still aren't loving around. Aside from that, nothing we haven't seen before.

There are a couple things here that are different with Thomas than they were with Geddoe.

: "What?! Oh, cruel world!"

Thomas has this line whenever he comes across a corpse, lootable or not. (There's a corpse I missed as Geddoe that Thomas wouldn't loot.)

Treasure bosses generally respawn between chapters. They won't necessarily respawn immediately, but you shouldn't feel the need to be stingy in killing them or grabbing their treasure. Treasure will also generally respawn, but not necessarily as much or the same things.

Anyway, Thomas won't actually fight this boss.

This little scene will play whenever you try to approach it, and force you back down the path. Which is probably a good thing, actually. This team would be slaughtered in an instant.

Continuing all the way to the right, as we didn't with Geddoe, gives access to three new screens. This one, which conveniently has a save point, as well as a norther path and an eastern path. The norther path is only one screen with a corpse, which Thomas can't loot anyway, so I didn't get a cap of it, but you're not missing anything. I'll have to run back there next time we get to play as Hugo or Geddoe.

The east path leads to a dead end, which we need to get to the end of to proceed.

As we get further, we trigger a new scene.

: "Ah! What?!"

Well, there's the boy. He looks upset, but okay. What's he crying--

--about.

Well.

Deadpan as ever, Juan?

: "Come on. Over here. Over here. I'll deal with you."

Juan starts beating up the boar, to get it away from Little Thomas.

: "I'll deal with it!"

Cecile runs to join him.

He looks down for a moment, hesitating.

And so, we find ourselves in a boss battle with the fearsome Wild Boar! It's... not too tough, but that's not a bad thing.

The best way to deal with it is to bring out the big guns as soon as possible. If you need to use Juan for this fight, you've already messed up.

In Piccolo's case, he's packin' some powerful magic with his Lightning Rune, but it would take nearly 3 turns to finish casting the third spell, and even the first level spell will take more than a turn to cast. The Mallet Rune isn't worth it either.

Luckily, we can have him use these scrolls he was holding on to. They'll let him use the spells without having to worry about the two-turn casting time.

Cecile and Thomas do their thing for about 90 damage.

And Piccolo does his for about 140.

But dishing out damage doesn't make this fight any less dangerous. Cecile's taking a lot more damage than I'd like, and she's the tankiest of the four. I'm not sure Piccolo or Thomas could actually survive a hit.

To lessen potential damage, I decided to have Piccolo toss his Wind of Sleep scroll it's way, but it ended up not making much of a difference.

So we repeat our strategy from before.

And it goes down. Why, yes, Juan did spend the entire fight asleep.

Levels for all but Juan. Serves him right. :colbert:

We also get a ?Figurine, for what it's worth.

:3:

Little Thomas runs over to Juan for comfort.

: "Sorry if I scared you. You okay?"

: "I shouldn't have told you that strange story."

: "I'm glad we found you. Time to go home!"

: "Hohohoho..."

And so, we head home.

The only thing of note is that we run into a full group of Furrflies on the way back. That's A-G, and one of every possible color of Furrfly. The red one is off screen, by the way.

:3:

: "Thank you so much. I owe you a lot."

: "Uh, well..."

Thomas isn't used to positive feedback.

: "Thomas. What do you say to these nice people? Don't be shy. Did you know the castle master's name is Thomas too?"

: "Really? Your name is Thomas? That's my name too!"

Thomas steps forward and kneels down.

: "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause so much trouble."

: "You're the master of the castle here?"

: "That's right. Now, run along home with your mother. It's time both of you got a good night's sleep."

: "Say thank you, Thomas. I want you to grow up to be just as great as Thomas the castle master."

: "O-Okay."

I imagine that Thomas turns beet-red at this point and starts sputtering about how he's not great at all, but if something like that does happen, it happens off-screen, as the scene fades away to just before the two leave.

: "Well, then. Please excuse us. I really appreciate what you did for us."

They both proceed to bow a lot.

: "Take care going home."

The two leave.

: "What a relief, huh, Thomas?"

: "Most auspicious, indeed!"

: "I can rest a lot easier now, for sure."

He hesitates.

This is what self confidence feels like, lad.

And with the child safely returned to his mother, and order supposedly restored, we'll call it an update here for now. Next time, loopholes!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Good lord, Juan. At least Geddoe is entertaining in his laziness. You...you are a lazy douchebag who needs an item just so you don't enter battle asleep. You're lucky you are also a Bujutsu Teacher, otherwise I'd probably weld AND Krazy Glue your rear end to the bench if I was playing. In that order, no less.

Also, Little Thomas. You hear a story from an experienced and trained martial artist about beating up one creature, and you decide you can repeat his feat yourself. CHARLES DARWIN is cursing from his grave at how natural selection just got cockblocked by the player.

At least Muto's moment of derp made me chuckle. And then go all :ughh:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Bench Juan? No way. He may not look it, and he may have some rune issues, but Juan is a goddamned combat monster. Sure, you have to give him something to prevent sleep, but it is entirely worth it for his wrecking machine level Skills. An A in Swing and an S in Continual Attack, combined with the light weight of fists, means he'll be hitting a good dozen times every round, and an S in Heavy Damage means a lot of those will be crits. Juan is one of the two most broken fighters in the entire game.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
While the sleeping is limiting until you find an item to make it go away -- there are a couple other than the scarves, although they're rare -- an awake and trained Juan is easily the strongest fighter in the entire game if you're minmaxing. You can beat every single boss in the game with just Juan and some schmuck with a water rune that keeps Juan alive. For most bosses you probably won't need the schmuck.

As for the treasure bosses, I'm reasonably sure they respawn every 30 minutes or so rather than once per chapter. I certainly killed them far more than that: murdering them and taking their stuff gets you some pretty unique items and equipment and is also one of the better ways to get the cash you need for weapon sharpening for all your 108 stars later on. It becomes especially lucrative when taking some other mechanics that we haven't seen into account. Suikoden 3 generally seems to expect you to vary your troops when out adventuring and rewards that sort of behaviour elsewhere, which is nice if you're like me and want to try out all the assorted weirdos on your side and less nice if you tend to pick a core team and stick with it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dancingbears posted:

Bench Juan? No way. He may not look it, and he may have some rune issues, but Juan is a goddamned combat monster. Sure, you have to give him something to prevent sleep, but it is entirely worth it for his wrecking machine level Skills. An A in Swing and an S in Continual Attack, combined with the light weight of fists, means he'll be hitting a good dozen times every round, and an S in Heavy Damage means a lot of those will be crits. Juan is one of the two most broken fighters in the entire game.
Eh, I think what's turning me off to Juan right now is how the game presents his character. He's clearly the "Lazy but brilliant expert" person (and those people can be fun to use/watch, don't get me wrong), but with his special Rune on top of his personality, it feels like a case of taking a character type and deciding to go full-on :regd08: to the point where it feels too excessive.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Are you telling me you didn't make pretend about killing mountain lions and monsters and stuff when you were a kid? Little Thomas is still in that age where he thinks nothing can keep him down. I think he's dumb, yes, but it's not too unreasonable for a child to get in too deep after hearing about something awesome and wanting to do it yourself.

There's a fair number of lazy-but-intelligent characters in the cast of Sui3, actually. We've already seen Geddoe and Juan, of course, but there are a few more waiting for us as well. They're all handled differently, though, so I'm actually very okay with this decision. Of the four I'm thinking of, Juan is my least favorite, and the other three are all high up in my favorites, with Geddoe actually being on the top of my list of favorite characters. Like I said in the update, I am rather fond of the addition of that rune to reinforce Juan's character, and how he's literally a battle-god when he puts his mind to it, but I've never really found myself putting him in my parties aside from this portion of the game. I don't particularly dislike him, but he's not one of the more interesting ones to me.

He gets better as he gains some respect for Thomas, though, which is nice. Right now he doesn't feel like doing poo poo because he doesn't feel like the situation is worthy of his putting forth effort. He's expecting everything to fall apart, and doesn't want to be let down after trying to help out.

Xerophyte posted:

As for the treasure bosses, I'm reasonably sure they respawn every 30 minutes or so rather than once per chapter. I certainly killed them far more than that: murdering them and taking their stuff gets you some pretty unique items and equipment and is also one of the better ways to get the cash you need for weapon sharpening for all your 108 stars later on. It becomes especially lucrative when taking some other mechanics that we haven't seen into account. Suikoden 3 generally seems to expect you to vary your troops when out adventuring and rewards that sort of behaviour elsewhere, which is nice if you're like me and want to try out all the assorted weirdos on your side and less nice if you tend to pick a core team and stick with it.

Oh, is it every 30 minutes? I wasn't sure on that. All I know is that if you check back after a bit, they're there again. :downs: They're definitely my preferred method of money-making.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The sleeping rune's hilarious and if you disagree you are a fun-hater. :colbert:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Know whats funny? Juan puts too much :effortless: into his :effort:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I did a bit of poking around for a refresher, and Thomas' crew get quite a lot of Slow Growth/A+ skills(Except Juan, who's too cool for :effort: and takes his good* skills straight to S). Their stat growths tend to be heavily lopsided to what they're good at as well.

It should also be noted that Juan's B+ Bujutsu Teacher passive gives everyone in the party an 8% physical damage boost. Not much compared to a certain other boost that'll open up later on, but it's something.

*He does, technically, get Fire Magic at A+. Not that you'd ever use it. A turn where Juan isn't sleeping and/or punching things so hard they fly apart into their component particles is a turn wasted.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 22, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Juan is a better character than Sid, who had the Waking rune in S2. At least Juan's just lazy, not incredibly creepy.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Yellow Scarves are the rare find in Vinay del Zexay's item store early in the game. I forget if Thomas is allowed to go there before now or not thought.

That said, there's actually a status-blocking equip Thomas can get for free soon anyway, although I'm not sure if yoikay will be taking this method. You just steal Mel's armor. However, while Mel is always awesome and Thomas really likes having her and her fixed join level, her recruit sequence with Chris is different and probably better, so it's possible we'll be seeing that instead.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Unoriginal One posted:

I did a bit of poking around for a refresher, and Thomas' crew get quite a lot of Slow Growth/A+ skills(Except Juan, who's too cool for :effort: and takes his good* skills straight to S). Their stat growths tend to be heavily lopsided to what they're good at as well.

It should also be noted that Juan's B+ Bujutsu Teacher passive gives everyone in the party an 8% physical damage boost. Not much compared to a certain other boost that'll open up later on, but it's something.

*He does, technically, get Fire Magic at A+. Not that you'd ever use it. A turn where Juan isn't sleeping and/or punching things so hard they fly apart into their component particles is a turn wasted.

Add that damage boost to the pile of things I did not know. :downsgun:

FairGame posted:

Juan is a better character than Sid, who had the Waking rune in S2. At least Juan's just lazy, not incredibly creepy.

Sid, for those who didn't play/read the LP of II, is one of the Winged Horde race that was mentioned in one of Ernie's trivia questions! :eng101:

CmdrKing posted:

Yellow Scarves are the rare find in Vinay del Zexay's item store early in the game. I forget if Thomas is allowed to go there before now or not thought.

That said, there's actually a status-blocking equip Thomas can get for free soon anyway, although I'm not sure if yoikay will be taking this method. You just steal Mel's armor. However, while Mel is always awesome and Thomas really likes having her and her fixed join level, her recruit sequence with Chris is different and probably better, so it's possible we'll be seeing that instead.

He actually can get to Vinay at this point. I made a pit-stop there before heading to Mt. Hei-tou, actually, to see if there was any interesting dialogue I was missing.

:argh:

The only other things that happened of note was that the vendor who brags about meat to Hugo and beer to Geddoe offers to sell candy to Thomas, and some random guy called Thomas a "real bumpkin."

Suffice it to say, I figured there wasn't anything worth showing off. Now I know I should have checked the item shop. :sigh:

I was planning on recruiting her with Thomas, but if it's funnier to get her with Chris, then I guess I'll get her with Chris instead.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I love Juan because he's the chillest motherfucker in the series. Just kickin' back, sleepin'.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Admittedly I just really like the character, but if you'd be willing to show off both (like, do one now as a "but it didn't really happen" thing then go it again later with Chris) that'd be awesome.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I remember that I did this weird route through the entire world map grinding gold for sharpening weapons and points for skill boosting. Basically buying out trade good stores and bumping off treasure monsters along the way. Once I get to the end I could start at the very beginning and everything would have respawned. So for me the time limit wasn't very... limiting.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
it might be more interesting to think of Juan as being cursed rather than lazy. He obviously trains hard and to be a teacher he'd probably have empathy for those trying to better themselves. But he is stuck with a rune that gives him a serious case of narcalepsy. Kind of sad, really, his nonchalant attitude is just a resiliance to not think of himself as a victem. He pretends not to care because he is afraid of letting folks down.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I am pretty sure that a significant amount of the "runes" in Suikoden are not really runes at all but just ways for characters to use special abilities that they have without adding another gameplay mechanic. (Falcon rune, boar rune, waking rune, shrike rune)

I mean, that's not the canon explanation, but it makes a lot more sense than a "falcon rune" being birthed from the 27 true runes somehow.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GulagDolls posted:

I am pretty sure that a significant amount of the "runes" in Suikoden are not really runes at all but just ways for characters to use special abilities that they have without adding another gameplay mechanic. (Falcon rune, boar rune, waking rune, shrike rune)

I mean, that's not the canon explanation, but it makes a lot more sense than a "falcon rune" being birthed from the 27 true runes somehow.
We had this discussion over in the SV thread. Skill runes are likely just logical extensions of physical and martial training, but not actually "runes" in the traditional sense. And while some of them have a runic symbol, you'll never see them in battle, which only emphasizes their "not really a Rune" sense.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah. Anita's investigation in Suikoden II reveals that she was actually given a falcon rune by her trainer, though. But I am going to pretend that it is really a falcon tattoo.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah. Anita's investigation in Suikoden II reveals that she was actually given a falcon rune by her trainer, though. But I am going to pretend that it is really a falcon tattoo.

It's the same thing I was talking about -- manifestations of physical or martial training. The same thing happened with the White Tiger Rune from L.C.Chan --> Wakaba. Anita received it from Roundier Haia much like Valeria did. The "Falcon" or "White Tiger" Rune can really be just described as sword or martial arts techniques, like Crane Fist or a riposte.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
So Juan's class is "FightFighter",or am I seeing it wrong?

Also I love that a random shopkeeper turn out to be a Djinni, that's certainly something not every castle has :v:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Azure_Horizon posted:

We had this discussion over in the SV thread. Skill runes are likely just logical extensions of physical and martial training, but not actually "runes" in the traditional sense. And while some of them have a runic symbol, you'll never see them in battle, which only emphasizes their "not really a Rune" sense.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler but I'll spoiler it anyway. I believe one of the detective investigations you can do on Juan says that the grass he's always seen chewing on is a pretty strong soporific.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Szurumbur posted:

So Juan's class is "FightFighter",or am I seeing it wrong?

No, you're seeing it correctly. Obviously, he is a fighter who can fight in fights like a FightFighter.

Yeah... I'm not sure how that one slipped by in translation. :iiam:

RaspberryCommie posted:

I believe one of the detective investigations you can do on Juan says that the grass he's always seen chewing on is a pretty strong soporific.

I can confirm this, yes. Also, it's not really a spoiler, just character design.

I sort of wish

whoda thunkit posted:

it might be more interesting to think of Juan as being cursed rather than lazy. He obviously trains hard and to be a teacher he'd probably have empathy for those trying to better themselves. But he is stuck with a rune that gives him a serious case of narcalepsy. Kind of sad, really, his nonchalant attitude is just a resiliance to not think of himself as a victem. He pretends not to care because he is afraid of letting folks down.
were the explanation instead, though. That sounds pretty neat.

GulagDolls posted:

I dunno, maybe there's a True Bird Rune that gave birth to the Falcon Rune, Great Hawk Rune, and Boronda Hawk Rune? Or a True Weapon Badassery Rune, which gave birth to all the various Runes of being awesome at a certain weapon or fighting style. :shrug:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

yokaiy posted:

I can confirm this, yes. Also, it's not really a spoiler, just character design.

Oh, I know. I just didn't know if you wanted to handle the investigations yourself, so I hid it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

RaspberryCommie posted:

Oh, I know. I just didn't know if you wanted to handle the investigations yourself, so I hid it.

Yeah, I'll be covering the investigations when we get there, but so long as they're not spoiler-territory I don't really mind little factoids like that being talked about. So it's no problem. :cheeky:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, I'll be covering the investigations when we get there, but so long as they're not spoiler-territory I don't really mind little factoids like that being talked about. So it's no problem. :cheeky:

I figure it's impossible to do all the investigations (or even like 10% of them) in a single playthru unless you're some kind of incredible shut-in anyway.

Nadir's thing, though...show them. Show all of them. With all of the characters.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

FairGame posted:

I figure it's impossible to do all the investigations (or even like 10% of them) in a single playthru unless you're some kind of incredible shut-in anyway.

Nadir's thing, though...show them. Show all of them. With all of the characters.

That's what guides written by people who are incredible shut-ins are for. No worries, I've got them all covered. :downs:

And I have plans for Nadir's thing. I'm gonna have to test out if it'll work first, but fear not. Even if it kills me, I will find some way to do those things with all the people. (And have you guys vote on them too, mayhaps.)

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

actually both Vinnay and the the Castle sell the same armor that Mel uses as a RARE. So usually as soon as you get Juan, you run to either town, save and then keep running to the blacksmith until he sells you the armor and bam, no more sleeping for Juan. Get his accuracy up and he's an unstoppable beast.

fullTimeLurker fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 22, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Creepers are back

"Someone mention my name?"

I never cared much for Juan. And I don't care how good he is in combat, either. If I don't like you, you can't be in my party. :colbert:

I like the way Thomas flees from the area boss, though.

Also, the kid's expression. :haw:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Juan owns, use Juan erryday. Punch hard, punch often, fight fights.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

"Someone mention my name?"

Go back to your own game, Kyle.

vilkacis posted:

If I don't like you, you can't be in my party. :colbert:

That's generally how I play as well. However! This is a LP! And by LP rules, I must suffer! And so, once parties aren't locked by plot anymore, I'll be deferring to you guys near the end. Which means I'll probably get stuck with Juan. Alas.

fullTimeLurker posted:

actually both Vinnay and the the Castle sell the same armor that Mel uses as a RARE. So usually as soon as you get Juan, you run to either town, save and then keep running to the blacksmith until he sells you the armor and bam, no more sleeping for Juan. Get his accuracy up and he's an unstoppable beast.

Yeah, I'll be getting some manner of item for him as soon as I can. Also, as we haven't seen her, I'd appreciate you using a spoiler tag on her name. Not for much longer, I assure you, but still.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Haha, no. you're taking all the dogs to the endgame.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Go back to your own game, Kyle.

"I'm going!"

quote:

That's generally how I play as well. However! This is a LP! And by LP rules, I must suffer! And so, once parties aren't locked by plot anymore, I'll be deferring to you guys near the end. Which means I'll probably get stuck with Juan. Alas.

You could always institute a rule against boring, overused and overpowered characters. :colbert:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, Little Thomas. You hear a story from an experienced and trained martial artist about beating up one creature, and you decide you can repeat his feat yourself. CHARLES DARWIN is cursing from his grave at how natural selection just got cockblocked by the player.

Dude, he's a little boy. When I was 7 I jumped out of a second floor window to reenact the scene where the Ninja Turtles jumped down to fight the Technodrome.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Personally I like the idea of a lot of runes being both runes AND manifestation of personal skill. When you get swole enough, the rune imprints itself. That's how you know someone's mastered the Way of the Falcon, they've gotten a Falcon Rune. It is both a symbol and manifestation of their skill.

I mean the whole point of the world is that it was literally created by runes, so having them just plain appear on people who master some fighting style works for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Verbose posted:

Dude, he's a little boy. When I was 7 I jumped out of a second floor window to reenact the scene where the Ninja Turtles jumped down to fight the Technodrome.

What people don't think about is that natural selection doesn't quite manifest as a simple "do stupid action -> get dead" cause and effect. Poor choices in judgement are natural, and expected. The important thing is that we survive, grow stronger, and learn from those mistakes. A child going up to fight tigers survives because of catching a lucky case of the protagonists. This is still natural selection, in a way. Not only is his pack mentality strengthened, but he also (hopefully) learns not to go try to beat up wild animals with his bare hands any more just because some guy who chews on a :420: says he did it once.

Now, if someone Geddoe's age decided to do that without the training and strength to back it up, then Darwin would be out for his rear end with a vengeance.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

vilkacis posted:

"I'm going!"

You could always institute a rule against boring, overused and overpowered characters. :colbert:
Normally I would say something about not crossing the streams but god drat you two are hilarious please keep this crossover stuff going along as you are running your threads I can use the laughs.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

GulagDolls posted:

Haha, no. you're taking all the dogs to the endgame.

Well, poo poo.

vilkacis posted:

No way; that'd be intelligent. :colbert:

Verbose posted:

WELL. Glad that didn't end as poorly as it sounds like it could have. I think I stabbed myself in the eye with a pencil once, but that's the only dumb-child-thing I can recall doing.

cokerpilot posted:

Normally I would say something about not crossing the streams but god drat you two are hilarious please keep this crossover stuff going along as you are running your threads I can use the laughs.

Glad to be of service. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I say instead of voting characters in the party, we vote characters off, survivor style.

• Locked thread