Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
They did have a civilian look for Chris, but I can see why they saved it for now instead of for Ixsay village. They wanted Chris to be recognizable as Lady Chris, the Zexen captain by the attackers, but because of the undercover work, but not as recognizable going undercover. That should work a bit - people tend to see a uniform first. The second reason is that she's taking a leave from the Knights, from duty, it has a bigger impact now than taking a short holiday at a fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Every story is merely a matter of perspective.

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.
I do adore Chris' civilian outfit. Though mostly partially because lime(ish) green happens to be my favorite color.

So next would be Hugo's chapter, which would involve... oh dear.

Hm, I kind of wonder which way you're going to go for that certain part. I mean, the one option for that is HILARIOUS. But on the other hand... you could potentially pull off that other one too.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
So finishing the conversation earlier. We have here a perfectly serviceable civilian outfit for Chris, which would have made more sense to wear to Iksay than the full armor. buuuut since percival just has the one model, I'm guessing they didn't want Chris to be noticeably different from him that way.

If memory serves, the other recruitment sequence for Mel is mostly a lot shorter, since Branky isn't as rude and thus needs less punishment. Still probably best to see it here despite Mel's gameplay quirks making her more valuable to Thomas. I mean, he's got Augustine, he's set anyway.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AshtonDragon posted:

I hadn't seen that recruitment scene for Mel before, despite playing this game way too many times. It lived up to hype.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about Nash. He's funny, and definitely interesting, but I still find myself not liking him much. Maybe it's just the way he fights.

Indeed. :allears: It was my first time getting her this way as well.

As for Nash, I find him intriguing. I like him, but he's sort of in the middle-ground when it comes to my favorites in this game.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They did have a civilian look for Chris, but I can see why they saved it for now instead of for Ixsay village. They wanted Chris to be recognizable as Lady Chris, the Zexen captain by the attackers, but because of the undercover work, but not as recognizable going undercover. That should work a bit - people tend to see a uniform first. The second reason is that she's taking a leave from the Knights, from duty, it has a bigger impact now than taking a short holiday at a fair.

CmdrKing posted:

So finishing the conversation earlier. We have here a perfectly serviceable civilian outfit for Chris, which would have made more sense to wear to Iksay than the full armor. buuuut since percival just has the one model, I'm guessing they didn't want Chris to be noticeably different from him that way.

Hmm. I like the idea of it having a bigger impact by having her change as she's leaving, and I hope you're right on that, Stabbey, but I kind of think they might not have thought about it so deeply, and they just didn't do it because they only had one Percy model. But if they did think about it that deeply, then I appreciate the devs even more.

Apple Syrup posted:

I do adore Chris' civilian outfit. Though mostly partially because lime(ish) green happens to be my favorite color.

So next would be Hugo's chapter, which would involve... oh dear.

Hm, I kind of wonder which way you're going to go for that certain part. I mean, the one option for that is HILARIOUS. But on the other hand... you could potentially pull off that other one too.

:stare:

You know what? Kudos to you, good sir. I know I said to be vague about spoilers, but you really seem to have taken it to heart. I don't have the slightest clue what part you're talking about. :haw:

CmdrKing posted:

If memory serves, the other recruitment sequence for Mel is mostly a lot shorter, since Branky isn't as rude and thus needs less punishment. Still probably best to see it here despite Mel's gameplay quirks making her more valuable to Thomas. I mean, he's got Augustine, he's set anyway.

I got caps of Thomas recruiting Mel as well, if you guys are really curious about it. It's not quite as interesting, but it's still fairly entertaining. Branky is a buttface no matter who gets the recruit, I'm sure.

Continuing another conversation from earlier about me possibly doing a short LP of Nash's game, I gave Suikogaiden a whirl on the ePSX emulator, and it runs fine. However, and this is both weirder and more annoying, I'm actually having issues capping it! I use Greenshot as my capture thing, since I don't actually have a printscreen button on my laptop, and it's been pretty reliable up until now. The weird part is that it has no issues getting caps of the opening song, but then in the actual game? All my shots end up just being black images. Anyone have any suggestions? I could just do a blurb of the game instead of a mini-LP, but that seems less cool. :smith:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I could watch Mel and Branky all drat day.

As fun as that scene is though, recruiting her with Thomas is just as good. She's set at level 32, which is amazing for a character who will be lucky to have anyone else at or above the mid-20s by the time you're completely done with his chapters.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I forgot how short Chris Chapter 2 actually was. For some reason I thought it included the Chisha clan.

Then again, Hugo Chapter 2 is quite a doozy, so I guess it serves as a pitstop.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

I forgot how short Chris Chapter 2 actually was. For some reason I thought it included the Chisha clan.

Then again, Hugo Chapter 2 is quite a doozy, so I guess it serves as a pitstop.

Hugo 2 is actually the shortest in the game. But it also has probably the hardest fight in the game not that we have to win so I assume it'll be at least two updates.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

yokaiy posted:

As for Nash, I find him intriguing. I like him, but he's sort of in the middle-ground when it comes to my favorites in this game.
He comes across as less earnest and more spy-like in this than he does in Suikogaiden, though that may in part be due to his portrait in III which doesn't exactly inspire trust. In Gaiden he seemed more like an advanced scout with a bag full of tricks rather than an actual spy. I suppose it shows he's actually gotten good at his job over the years instead of just using it as an excuse to get out of Harmonia.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I would just like to add that I'm entirely innocent and I don't know what you're talking about.

Besides, I sold it all back anyway.

...mostly.

quote:

:haw:

I always liked watching Mel pound Branky's face into a wall, but I've never seen this scene before. I like the ; just too bad it takes so drat long to play through the game again and see everything you missed.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Hmmm... Suikogaiden definitely runs best on the (poorly-named) pSX emulator - I think the JP version probably has compatibility issues on ePSXe that carry through to the patch. On ePSXe, we have encountered all kinds of weird graphical issues and hiccups that can't be replicated and never show up on pSX or hardware. So I would try that and see if you find it livable.

quote:

He comes across as less earnest and more spy-like in this than he does in Suikogaiden, though that may in part be due to his portrait in III which doesn't exactly inspire trust. In Gaiden he seemed more like an advanced scout with a bag full of tricks rather than an actual spy. I suppose it shows he's actually gotten good at his job over the years instead of just using it as an excuse to get out of Harmonia.

Yeah, Nash has changed a lot over the years. He was just a baby in Suikogaiden (21 years old, I think). He's certainly jaded, but believably, I think.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

Pokeytax posted:

Hmmm... Suikogaiden definitely runs best on the (poorly-named) pSX emulator
I really wish there had just been a full PC release of the gaidens. Standard VN save slots would have made it much more convenient.

Pokeytax posted:

Yeah, Nash has changed a lot over the years. He was just a baby in Suikogaiden (21 years old, I think). He's certainly jaded, but believably, I think.
I agree, it's not an unnatural direction for him to take, he's still got that sort of aloof good humor, it's just tempered with a lot more life experience now.
The jaded sense you get from him is one of the reasons I find the sierra-wife theory pretty likely. It's sort of how I imagine he would change after spending several years verbally sparing his centuries old, ill tempered vampire wife.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

yokaiy posted:

:stare:

You know what? Kudos to you, good sir. I know I said to be vague about spoilers, but you really seem to have taken it to heart. I don't have the slightest clue what part you're talking about. :haw:

There are some interesting dialogue branches in the Ancient Highway.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

yokaiy posted:

Continuing another conversation from earlier about me possibly doing a short LP of Nash's game, I gave Suikogaiden a whirl on the ePSX emulator, and it runs fine. However, and this is both weirder and more annoying, I'm actually having issues capping it! I use Greenshot as my capture thing, since I don't actually have a printscreen button on my laptop, and it's been pretty reliable up until now. The weird part is that it has no issues getting caps of the opening song, but then in the actual game? All my shots end up just being black images. Anyone have any suggestions? I could just do a blurb of the game instead of a mini-LP, but that seems less cool. :smith:
Use Fraps and take screenshots from the footage?

Otherwise, get thee to the tech support fort.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Medrex posted:

The jaded sense you get from him is one of the reasons I find the sierra-wife theory pretty likely. It's sort of how I imagine he would change after spending several years verbally sparing his centuries old, ill tempered vampire wife.

It also explains the whole "I'm younger than I look" thing Nash talks about. It just seems a strange thing to say unless he didn't age properly for Certain Reasons.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Are ventriloquists just full of mental disorders? The V thread debuted one too.

I wonder if she actually hurt her hand when she slammed Branky into the wall.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've never even gotten this far into the game and I can already tell you what twist is gonna happen at some point. They're not exactly being subtle about it.

Yeah. The devil is in the details though in this case.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

Hugo 2 is actually the shortest in the game. But it also has probably the hardest fight in the game not that we have to win so I assume it'll be at least two updates.

I actually keep forgetting just how short it is. His chapter 2 and 3 sort of blend together in my brain. To a certain point, so does Geddoe 1 and 2. (But only the very end of his 1 and beginning of his 2.)

As for the fight? I think the Borus fight in Geddoe 1 is harder. Or, at least, more annoyinly placed. Not to say that this one is easy by any means, of course. The final few battles are pretty hard too, but that's a long ways away.

Pokeytax posted:

Hmmm... Suikogaiden definitely runs best on the (poorly-named) pSX emulator - I think the JP version probably has compatibility issues on ePSXe that carry through to the patch. On ePSXe, we have encountered all kinds of weird graphical issues and hiccups that can't be replicated and never show up on pSX or hardware. So I would try that and see if you find it livable.

Okay, that worked well enough. It'll take some shenanigans, but I think it's not enough of a hassle to deter me. So yeah, this mini-LP is doable.

I have no idea what I'm doing with visual novels, though. :haw: The only other one I've played is Radical Dreamers, and I think I kept getting killed by piranhas. At least you can't die in Suikogaiden, as far as I know, and playing through it a bit I'm finding it pretty easy to pick up..

Speedball posted:

Are ventriloquists just full of mental disorders? The V thread debuted one too.

I wonder if she actually hurt her hand when she slammed Branky into the wall.

I dunno, Branky might be magic. Mel has a Rune permanently attached to her called the Devil's Doll Rune, so that might be behind it. She's quite good with magic, actually. B+ Pale Gate, S Lightning, and A+ Fire. She's better at it than Geddoe. They never say one way or the other if Branky is just a puppet or actually alive, though.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Well, there's definitely a lot stranger things in the series than a little girl's hand possessed by a lecherous wolf demon taking the form of a sock puppet.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Shiki Dan posted:

Well, there's definitely a lot stranger things in the series than a little girl's hand possessed by a lecherous wolf demon taking the form of a sock puppet.

Haha, yeah, I guess so. :haw:

Okay, status update regarding the next updates. Zosephine and I are gonna be playing through Suikogaiden on Sunday, so you can expect the first part of that as a mini-LP shortly thereafter (probably that Monday or Tuesday). Part one of Hugo's chapter 2 is gonna probably come after that. His chapter will probably only be two parts, though so yeah. Thanks for waiting and stuff.

In the meantime, anyone or any group in particular you want me to do an analysis for? :downs:

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?

yokaiy posted:

In the meantime, anyone or any group in particular you want me to do an analysis for? :downs:

I'd like to see you bite right into the 12th unit, I'm interested in what you have to say on the designs of Geddoe's mercs.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Since Suikogaiden deals a bit with Harmonians, I wonder if we shouldn't hold off on them until after? Although more 12th unit is always a positive regardless.

Since it'll be a while until we see them again, maybe something with Thomas' crew.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I agree that now might be the best time to review who's currently at Budehuc. It's going to get real full real fast.

I've got to say, I like Chris' traveling clothes. Lighter and more comfortable than the armor, but still looks rugged enough to offer solid protection from the dangers of the road.

As for Roland vs. Jacques, one thing in Roland's favor is that he's faster at firing. He can get Swing up and get two attacks pretty easily. It's possible to get two for Jacques, but it requires very high level.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

mageofthesands posted:

I agree that now might be the best time to review who's currently at Budehuc. It's going to get real full real fast.

I've got to say, I like Chris' traveling clothes. Lighter and more comfortable than the armor, but still looks rugged enough to offer solid protection from the dangers of the road.

As for Roland vs. Jacques, one thing in Roland's favor is that he's faster at firing. He can get Swing up and get two attacks pretty easily. It's possible to get two for Jacques, but it requires very high level.

On the subject of her travelling clothes, they're still really good protection. One of the details that the manga has is that she is clearly wearing chainmail underneath her coat and as leggings. The devil is in the details so to speak.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

mageofthesands posted:

Not really.
Roland can only get a maximum level of B in Swing, compared to only Jacques who's only a C, which isn't a very big amount of difference.

What IS significant is that Jacques is MUCH faster than Roland (Jacques' speed has a growth rate of 7 compared to sluggish Roland who's stuck with a 4(!?).
Also that Jacques is the only character in the game that can get a S-rank in Sharpshoot.
EDIT: Apparently Suikosource is wrong; Roland does get Sharpshoot, but only to B+
If anything, Jacques' arrows are going to be the ones that actually matter since he actually stands a chance of actually shooting the enemy before they move due to his speed advantage and S-Rank Sharpshoot giving Jacques ALMOST double the range of Roland, not to mention an honest critical rate.

Literally the only thing of any significance that Roland has over Jacques is that Roland doesn't have a locked rune slot.
If Jacques wasn't locked to that worthless Baranda Hawk rune, he would absolutely poo poo all over Roland in every way, shape, and form.
Then again, why would you waste two perfectly good runes on Roland in the first place?

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2013

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Roland gets Sharpshoot. It's up there on the screenshot, capping at B+. And while he's slower to fire his bow compared to Giant Crossbow, it's faster to load. Roland does get two shots fairly easily. I'm not saying Roland is the best archer, or even one of my favorite characters. I do say that I like his armor design, the looking of the Hawk Rune as opposed to Great Hawk, and at least Roland isn't Kenji.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I could probably cover the 12th Unit without saying much about Harmonia, actually, but Thomas & co is probably a better bet for the moment.

So, let's start with Thomas.

He's a Hobbit. Thomas is a good kid. He presents himself cleanly, and is wearing a very socially-acceptable outfit, considering he's on Zexen land. However, he's not from Zexen and he's a little scatterbrained (due to his confidence issues), and it shows in his outfit. His vest isn't buttoned and, honestly, it might be too small for him if he's wearing it like that. It makes him look a little disheveled, like he's trying to look nicer and more competent than he is. Of course, from what we've seen of him, he's the only one that doesn't think he's competent, so that might be some unconscious decision on his part. It also makes him look more humble, which he surely is. He also looks very easy to approach.

Cecile is one part armored knight, and one part magical girl. :allears: On one hand, her outfit is actually pretty practical. Her chestplate is perhaps a little big on her, but it's got most of her vitals covered, and even protects her neck. (I'd fault that kind of neck-protection on more fitted armor, as it would hinder head movement and dig into her upper neck and be generally uncomfortable, but it's large enough that those aren't really issues for her.) The shirt underneath is padded and thick, so it would provide pretty good protection as well. And, since she's still a young girl, it is doing so in place of armor covering her arms, which would be probably too heavy in addition to the rest that she's wearing. She's added a bit more to it, though, by plating the glove-parts. Her shoes have plating, and a spear/shield combo is a little unorthodox for games, but works pretty well. And then you look at the flair she's added to her outfit with some spikes and the frill on her skirt and her knee-socks and she becomes adorable again. :3: Top it off with a callback to the Zexen emblem on her shield, as well as a general Zexen color scheme, and then add a super silly, super huge feather, and you've got two different archetypes combined pretty well.

I have to say, Sebastian is definitely not what I think of when I first think of a butler. Frankly, however, my first thought when it comes to butlers would be Alfred Pennyworth. A thin, balding older gentleman in a black and white suit who doesn't let anything get to him. Sebastian is not that man. He's stout, pretty colorful, and gets flustered by pretty much everything. He presents as a sort of organized mess, with different patterns and a lot of trim and details, but it comes together and doesn't actually look very cluttered. As a character, he has a large role in a lot of different jobs, and was pretty much carrying the castle until Thomas got there, and even then he was still doing a billion different things while Thomas got a handle on things. Thus, his clusterfuck design is actually really appropriate for his clusterfuck life. And somehow, it all works out in the end, both in design and in story.

Piccolo is one of the harder designs for me to pick apart, actually. There's kind of a lot of stuff going on with him, and overall he reminds me of a Zoltar machine. But I think the fact that he's hard to pin down actually says a lot about him. As a character, as well, he's hard to pin down. He doesn't seem to take anything seriously, and gives a hearty chuckle in place of a response fairly often. There's something airy and mysterious about him, and he's got some of that in his clothing and demeanor as well. Like, where did he get those skulls? Why are they a necklace and also gold? And what is the point of those feathers? I don't know. It's dark, but also kind of whimsical.

Martha is also sort of difficult. Like Piccolo, she's dark and sort of sketchy. But, again, I feel like that really suits her. She is really sketchy. She practically strong-arms people into buying her lotto tickets, and she seems like a very sneaky person. Her design isn't exactly welcoming. More weird, really. Crazy, even. And, as she's a crazy old lady, it fits. And yet, she's very appealing, both as a character and design-wise. She's very unique.

Juan has an interesting design in that he's very Korean, which isn't something I was really expecting in a JRPG. His attire is based very closely off of a man's hanbok, except it's a bit shorter than the traditional attire, on the top, in the sleeves and in the pants, allowing him a bit more layering and padding in the forearm and lower-leg area. This draws more attention to his hands and feet, which is appropriate given his profession as a fist fighter. It's also interesting that they would go with taekwondo(I think) and Korea as an inspiration for a martial artist, when the archetype is generally Chinese kung fu. Anyway, Korea aside, his clothes are fairly baggy and loose except where it counts for fighting, which hints at his laid-back personality. It'd be a lot harder to take naps with Koroku in the fields if his clothes were more form-fitting. But seriously, the guy can't even be bothered to stand up for his character portrait. What a bum.

Muto; what a floofy cutie puppy. :kimchi: Just look at that. He's big and furry, and wearing a puffy hat and a big, soft sweater and overalls. He looks very childish, and that reflects on his brain-damaged personality pretty well. Look how absurdly large that buckle on his chest is? And those colors? And stripes? And bones? He is very child-friendly. Man's best friend indeed. :3: Honestly, he's pretty self-explanatory.

What a scary looking man. At first glance, Eike looks a lot like a basement-dweller and, seeing as he spends a large amount of time in an underground cavern under the castle in a series of passageways long since lost to man, that's probably a fair assessment. He's a very serious-looking character, with his sunken-in cheeks and large brow and scary :stare: eyes. And then, you recall how he spent a few weeks in a hole in the ground reading books because he forgot how long he'd been there. His terrifying demeanor is actually misleading -- he's surprisingly entertaining and silly if you can get past his :stonk:.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One small thing:
Spear-shield is not unorthodox, it's the most prevalent weaponry setup of any kind whatsoever. All inhabited lands on this earth have been fought over with whole armies using a spear in one hand and a shield in the other at any point in time.

:spergin:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the spear is more of a weapon of war than the sword ever was. The difference is that the sword can only be used for war while the spear can also be used for hunting and stuff, so it's not a "pure" weapon.

Either way, I really do love Cecile's design too. It's half "aww" and half badass.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

One small thing:
Spear-shield is not unorthodox, it's the most prevalent weaponry setup of any kind whatsoever. All inhabited lands on this earth have been fought over with whole armies using a spear in one hand and a shield in the other at any point in time.

:spergin:

For example, the Phalanx, an entire military tactical advancement based on being able to stab over the shoulder of the guy in front of you.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I meant more in reference to games, not real life, but duly noted. I see a lot of sword-and-board, and a lot less of spear-and-shield. Which is a shame, because I like spears better than swords as far as weaponry is concerned.

I wish I knew more about weapons and fighting styles. :cry:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
Speaking of weapons, are there any characters aside from the hero and Hoi in Suikoden II that use tonfa? I can't remember.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

yokaiy posted:

but it's got all her vitals covered

Most of her vitals. She's wearing a miniskirt and a cut femoral artery will drop someone in under a minute.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Speaking of weapons, are there any characters aside from the hero and Hoi in Suikoden II that use tonfa? I can't remember.

I don't think so. Lazlo had twin swords in IV, but that's the next closest thing.

Stroth posted:

Most of her vitals. She's wearing a miniskirt and a cut femoral artery will drop someone in under a minute.

:qq: Okay, amended that.

I'm really glad you guys have my back for things like that. You're all the best. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You spelled Alfred's last name wrong. It's Pennyworth, not Pennywise. Pennywise is the name of the clown from "Stephen King's It" played by Tim Curry.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AradoBalanga posted:

You spelled Alfred's last name wrong. It's Pennyworth, not Pennywise. Pennywise is the name of the clown from "Stephen King's It" played by Tim Curry.

Oh, god damnit. :suicide:

Okay, fixed that too.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
I've always loved Muto's design so much. Suikoden as a series, but 3 in particular, really has a lot of fun mixing up how appropriate or misleading the looks of a character are. It's part of what makes you get attached to characters you don't even get full sidequests with at times!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Alfred reminds me of Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast more than anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stroth posted:

Let me out :spergin: that - very few armies actually had proper leg armor. Like half of all viking battle casualties have a cut in a leg bone that either killed them or immobilized them for the killing stroke.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Let me out :spergin: that - very few armies actually had proper leg armor. Like half of all viking battle casualties have a cut in a leg bone that either killed them or immobilized them for the killing stroke.

As oversized as her chestpiece is, she'd have a hell of a time finding leg armor, especially since she probably doesn't have the money to have it custom made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Xander77 posted:

Yep, same thing with Rome. What she's wearing is better protection than the soldiers of the Roman legions had for a long, long time. In the republic they had a leather breastplate and, if they were lucky, a helmet; republican soldiers were unpaid and provided their own equipment, and metal armor was quite expensive, so usually only the richest had metal armor. Even the iconic lorica segmentata of the mid-empire legions (who were armed, armored, and paid by the empire) only provided protection roughly equivalent to what she's got, with a plate mail chestplate that extended over the shoulders, a plate helm, and leather or cloth covering everything else. The legionaries did have larger shields, though.

• Locked thread