Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Are there horrible bone-cracking sounds when Jonathan assumes the gnarled branch pose? Three people, two of them not excitable boy detectives, claim to have heard bones snapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Kacie posted:

Are there horrible bone-cracking sounds when Jonathan assumes the gnarled branch pose? Three people, two of them not excitable boy detectives, claim to have heard bones snapping.

It's a bit like the noise if you took a sheet of bubble wrap and ripped it in half.

Seems kinda out of the way to go get the character you want Guillaume for at this time, but then I realized who else you can get right now, so yeah, I don't think Hugo has another chance at them. Although that's still a lot of boring walks across the countryside >.>

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but doesn't Guillaume also have combat stats if you look at him? I think he's the only support character who does, and you can't do anything with them.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

Seems kinda out of the way to go get the character you want Guillaume for at this time, but then I realized who else you can get right now, so yeah, I don't think Hugo has another chance at them. Although that's still a lot of boring walks across the countryside >.>

Luckily, you guys don't have to see most of the walking, ahaha.

Nah, it's not really that bad. But yeah, there's gonna be a lot of walking for Hugo. There are a few people who have unique scenes with Hugo, and I plan on getting all of them in this chapter.

dancingbears posted:

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but doesn't Guillaume also have combat stats if you look at him? I think he's the only support character who does, and you can't do anything with them.

Strangely, yes. He's got a D in swing, D in accuracy, D in fire magic, and C in magic resistance. What he's doing with those, I have no idea, but he is indeed the only support character with combat skills. :iiam: I'll have to check later if he's got stats to go along with them, but I'll let you guys know when I can.

e: VVV That makes a shocking amount of sense, now that I think about it. I think Guillaume is the only support character that you have to duel to recruit, so it makes sense that he gets battle stats. :ms:

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 1, 2013

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Strangely, yes. He's got a D in swing, D in accuracy, D in fire magic, and C in magic resistance. What he's doing with those, I have no idea, but he is indeed the only support character with combat skills. :iiam: I'll have to check later if he's got stats to go along with them, but I'll let you guys know when I can.

We've seen two duels against him, and those run off of normal battle stats, don't they? I choose to believe it was a late change of plan and he was going to be a fighter.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know, I get the feeling that characters calling out their attacks during duels isn't supposed to be literal so much as a representation of their relative skill. Thus, Guillaume wasn't so much lying about his attacks to the kid so much as the kid couldn't predict how Guillaume would act. When you fight him again as a seasoned warrior, however, he becomes pathetically predictable and is easily defeated.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I think Guilliame is worth investigating. Like right now. See if he's on any, you know...lists.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I always viewed Guillaume's noncombatant status in our army as just him being a big chicken and not wanting to fight against deadly armies. It's a bit of a poke at his overall French design. He's got every other negative French stereotype, why not cowardice too?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
At risk of pre-empting the next update: Kidd, in addition to being the castle detective, is also a support slot character. Specifically, he has a C-rank Treasure Hunter skill for +15% chance at an item drop, the highest of any support in the game. There are some very powerful rare drops in Hugo 3 that I believe are difficult to get later, having Kidd along makes picking these up in bulk a lot easier. It's possible to pretty much break the game at this point, if you don't mind some 30 minutes of farming...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xerophyte posted:

At risk of pre-empting the next update: Kidd, in addition to being the castle detective, is also a support slot character. Specifically, he has a C-rank Treasure Hunter skill for +15% chance at an item drop, the highest of any support in the game. There are some very powerful rare drops in Hugo 3 that I believe are difficult to get later, having Kidd along makes picking these up in bulk a lot easier. It's possible to pretty much break the game at this point, if you don't mind some 30 minutes of farming...

Oh! Oh!

Are you referring to Fury Runes? Because I did this I think, except I forgot to bring Kidd for the grinding making it needlessly difficult :negative:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you referring to Fury Runes? Because I did this I think, except I forgot to bring Kidd for the grinding making it needlessly difficult :negative:

Yarp. You can also get an additional rank of Treasure Hunter from winning a Prosperity Hat at the horse racing minigame at this point, I believe. It's not a huge effect but if you want 6 of those things or end up farming other rares, well, it adds up.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Hmm, yeah, I guess I should show that off. I guess I'll put Guillaume back to work in the castle for a bit when I get the chance and take Kidd out instead -- the thing I needed Guillaume for is actually a bit later in the chapter than I remembered it being.

Between Kidd, Guillaume, and some people we haven't gotten yet, Hugo gets basically the best support characters in his chapter.

Oh, speaking of Guillaume.

No stats to back up his skills. :iiam:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I would hazard that while they had a little bit in the code that let them hide/remove his stats, because you could always see the skills on support characters they were stuck showing you his 'combat' skills.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was smiling at the "murder investigation".

Also, if Kidd is your castle detective, please say he has unique casefile names for all the reports he does on everybody.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Fun fact: Sanae's parents are Freed and Yoshino Yamamoto from Suikoden 2. Which is immediately obvious to anyone that's played S2, given her appearance, but I figured I'd bring it up anyway in case anyone hasn't played it.

Sanae and her father are also the only people in the entire series that keep their last name initial in their recruit name. That's an odd family trait to have, but a family trait nonetheless.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Whew, finally caught up with the thread. It's been pretty fun reading this, Suikoden was the series I missed out on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Guillaume is the secret best character, holy poo poo. That trident waggle :allears:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Just a heads up, this month is gonna be pretty hellish so I'll be updating pretty slowly. Sorry about that.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

No worries. Thanks for the heads-up.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Hugo Chapter 3.3 - My Sons

Hello again, folks.

Last time, we did a little side-quest which has temporarily exhausted our supply of random dicking around to do. This chapter is actually going to be very strange in that a fair number of things pop up between story chunks, so we'll be bouncing back and forth between plot-relevant events and side-quests. But you'll see that as we go -- Hugo has a lot of ground to cover, and we're nowhere yet.

We'll start by heading to Brass Castle, where we were actually supposed to go.

The main road is still unfortunately devoid of friendly faces, but no guards seem ready to throw us out, either, so it's a step in the right direction.

They don't even say anything interesting as we run by them.

It's a little strange to come back here, actually. We just can't seem to take a trip into the castle without being terrible at laying low.

:colbert: Yeah, duck-butt.

: Hugo, did you say something?"

Joe glances at Hugo in a sly, sideways manner befitting a duck of his sass level.

: "Nope, wasn't me!"

Hugo shakes his head enthusiastically in response.

With that, we're free to explore the first bit of the castle. Things aren't as aggressive as you'd expect, as several of the NPCs (mostly guards, at that) express regret at the lack of Grasslanders in the castle, even if they're reluctant to admit it. It's kind of sweet.

Proceeding further down the lane triggers a scene, which begins with Hugo and Joe looking at each other, wondering if the other can explain exactly what they see before them.

And what do they see, you ask?

Wow, look at those axes.

We meet an unlikely pair, if ever I've seen one. I will have more words for them later, but for now, just look at that nice duality going on there.

: "............ This land is not the one he fought to protect."

Hallec promptly tunes Mua out and wanders over to us.

Uh... hey, big guy...

Whoah there.

: "Whoah!"

Hey, stay off the duck, bear-man. He's not for eating.

Hallec looks to Hugo for the first statement, and then looks towards Joe for the second.

:allears:

Hallec turns to Hugo. He seems like a very direct man, if not a bit confused.

: "Pardons. Your smell I know. Karayan."

Mua joins us.

: "Look sharp! There's trouble ahead!"

Sure enough, two of the six knights begin to stroll our way.

: "Hallec! Are you sure you've done nothing to earn the wrath of the Zexens?"

: "No thing."

: "Hugo, look! It's them!"

Well, we are wanted, after all.

: "Caesar would agree."

We proceed to run the gently caress away.

: "Will you listen to no one?"

Apparently our two new friends are in the same boat, as they run off after us.

: "They vanished. But it was them. I know it."

: "Leo, we don't have time to go chasing after rats."

: "Vile Grassies. They many my insides roll with bile. But you are right. For now."

Wow, harsh.

We're informed that Hallec and Mua have joined up, and I arrange them thusly for the moment.

This line would have made more sense if we'd stayed to fight, but the thread voted not to, so you'll have to wait for the interlude for that. But you'll see that soon enough.

: "Hallec! Don't do that again!"

Oh, yeah, I guess that is in our interests.

: "So you overheard us. Yes, we are pursuing the Flame Champion story. That led us here."

: "You call it a story?"

: "Let's just say I wish to meet him. Hallec comes for the sake of his own village. We met along the way and traveled here together."

: "My people need Champion's help."

: "Do you think you know where to find him?"

: "Do not know."

: "............"

The Free Knights come from the region of Camaro, which is to the north of Grassland in the Northern Outlands/Nameless Lands. The knights are not part of, but share a strong relationship with the Matilda Knights from Suikoden II. Hallec is also from the Outlands, but his hometown is an unnamed village.

(For reference, Thomas is also from the Northern Outlands, but also not from Camaro.)

: "Then we share the same mission."

: "If that is so, let us travel together, Sir--uh--"

: "It's Hugo."

Welcome to one of the only -- if not the only -- times Joe uses his full name. I'm not sure if the same happens in the original Japanese or not, but it's rather strange the first time you see it.

: "Hugo, Sergeant, I'm glad to share the road with you."

: "It seems to be the custom among his people to call any person smaller than oneself a son -- including me."

:allears: Oh, I like you two already.

Mua is 9 years older than Hallec, who is 7 years older than Joe.

:toot: :toot:

So, let's talk about our two new friends.

Mua is a bit more on the solid side of things -- you can count on him to not go dying at any gentle breezes, which is great and all, but he won't be dishing out as much damage as his large friend. He can also use some magic if you really need it I guess.

Hallec, on the other hand, hits like a truck but has the potential to crumple if you sneeze at him, though his large chunk of HP should alleviate that shortcoming a bit. His Wrath Rune will help out a bit as well, as it's pretty great, but also a little situational. It will heal him and make him berserk, but can only be used once per battle. I'll probably end up using it fairly frequently.

You'll be seeing how these two fight in an interlude coming up in short order; it was a better opportunity to show off what they can do while fighting an optional battle.

Hallec also has a Crab Rice Bowl, which brings us back to Duck Village.

Yeah, I know. We were just here. But we need to make a pit-stop and this is the best time and easiest way to do it.

You see, at the top of the stairs in the appraisal shop, there's a person with a portrait.

Mamie is almost a recurring character in the series, but not quite. She is mentioned in Suikoden II by her father, Bashok, who is one of the chefs who opposed Hai Yo, the chef star in that game, in the Iron Chef minigame.

: "What are you looking for?"

: "I'm looking for the Crab Rice Bowl. I heard it's in Kuput forest. Where is Kuput forest? Is it near here?"

Yes, but it's not on our map yet, so shh. However, if it's the Crab Rice Bowl you want...

: "Is this the Crab Rice Bowl? It's the first time I've seen it... Um, could I have this? I want to try something with it."

:
>"It's yours."
>"Sorry, I can't give it to you."

: "Really? Thanks. By the way, did you know about Budehuc Castle? I hear they'll lend space to anyone, for a fee."

: "Sure, I know about Budehuc Castle."

: "Oh, is that right? Where is it? ... Okay... Hm... I got it. I think I'll go look for myself."

:toot:

Mamie, if you couldn't guess, is our chef star for the game.

Back at Budehuc, she opens up a restaurant.

We can give her the various recipes we've been finding, and in exchange unlock new food for her to cook. You can select what is on her menu based on what recipes she has, and then order meals which then work the same as any other food item in that it recovers status or HP or both. Judging by the frequency with which we've been finding medicine, though, I don't think we'll be buying much food.

Kidd is also here now -- he's set up shop in the broken cell down in the dungeons. I'm actually very fond of the sheer amount of clutter they gave him. He's got bugs and books and a backpack and a microscope and some mortar and pestle and spare hats even. It's strangely professional looking.

So we've got two options when it comes to Kidd, but let's start with the bottom one.

Asking him to scout will send him off to gather information about any stars we haven't gotten and how to get them. He can even investigate ones we haven't seen yet, as you can see. It's also based on what stars are available at the time. For example, if an available star is open to recruit in Hugo's chapter but not Geddoe's, then they won't show up in Geddoe's scouting list.

Alternatively, we can have him make an inquiry about characters we've got recruited already. This will also vary depending on who we're playing as, so Hugo wouldn't be able to research Borus, for example. As for Lucia, Beecham, and Jimba being on this list, we haven't officially recruited them yet but they're special in that they got plot-dumped on us with no fanfare later, so we can still investigate them now.

Sending him off to spy on someone means he'll be gone for a few minutes, but I'm sure we can find something to do in the mean time.

Like racing!

(There is actually a point to doing this, by the way. I promise.)

If you decide to do the horse riding minigame with Fubar in your party, Hugo will ride him. Fubar is fast but really floaty and hard to control, and I don't really like it.

The prizes are also different depending on whether or not you're riding him, and I want something we get from riding a horse. At least we got alcohol?

(We'll be able to use those bath items later in this chapter, finally.)

Removing Fubar from the party will let Hugo ride a Karayan horse.

We race until we win something called a Hex Doll S, which I forgot to get a screen cap of the text bubble for, but more on that shortly.

Kidd came back while we were messing around, and he's found out a little bit about our feathery friend!

I promptly send him off to learn more.

Each character has a total of four invesigations; there's a profile blurb, followed by three inquiries of random facts.

While we're here, I drop off a book with Eike.

The Birth of the 27 True Runes posted:

In the beginning there existed only long, long Darkness.

Over time, Darkness grew lonely. The loneliness became a heavy sorrow. Darkness eventually cried one tear.

From the tear were born two brothers: Sword and Shield.

Sword said it could cut all that exists. Shield replied that nothing could even scratch it.

They fell into war. Their war lasted for 7 days and 7 nights.

In the end, Sword breached Shield, and Shield broke Sword.

Pieces of Sword rained down to make the sky. Pieces of Shield rained down to make the earth. Their battle flashes became the stars.

The 27 gems adorning Sword and Shield transformed into the 27 True Runes. And thus the world began it's life.

Moving on, the Hex Doll S we got from racing is something we can put in the trophy room!

It's really not very pretty.

However, if we leave and come back, we can find someone admiring it for some reason.

Billy glances back at the statue once more before continuing.

: "Nice... Which ruins did you find this at? You don't see stuff like this often."

See, normally the Hex Doll would be a drop from a treasure boss, but the boss in questions is the one by Caleria, I believe, so we couldn't get it as Hugo. However, we don't want to get Billy with anyone else, so horse racing was the only option.

: "Who are you?"

Uh. I don't think you're supposed to tell the people you're planning on stealing from that you plan on stealing from them. Especially when said person is a fighter and you're just a support character.

: "A thief..."

Hugo is actually not too bothered by it, though.

: "Society demands I call myself a treasure hunter. But you can call me whatever you like."

: "What do you want?"

: "Here is the story. I haven't been able to earn a single potch. I can't find work anywhere. My boy is crying his eyes out, he's so hungry. So how about we gamble? A nice game of cards, perhaps? If I win, give me this item. If you win, I will do any work you need to have done. Now then, here are the cards..."

What a terrible father.

: "Not so fast."

: "Huh? What's wrong?"

: "Teach me the rules first."

: "We'll play 'Goppu.' That's a good game."

: "Goppu?"

: "It's simple. We both throw down a card, and the higher card wins. That's it. Not hard at all! I'll even help you as we play. What about it? What to try your luck?"

There's a little bit more to it than that, but...

So basically, a card is thrown down in the middle (the 8 of diamonds here), and you and Billy both play cards. The higher card wins the 8, which goes to your point total. The better the card, the more you want to win that round.

He never stood a chance. :smug:

In the off-chance you lose, he will take the statue, and you'll have to find another one to make him appear again.

: "But a promise is a promise... So, what kind of work does the castle need me to do? Anything at all."

: "Didn't you say you have a kid?"

: "Oh, him? The next time you're in Vinay del Zexay and come across a 12-year-old by the name of Melville, tell him I'm here, will you? Knowing him, he'll come running over, lickety-split."

GASP.

: "You know him? It's a small world, after all! Give him my regards."

If you couldn't guess, we'll be getting the Saint Loa Knights in this chapter.

While we were messing around with that, here's some more on Sgt. Joe. I send Kidd off to get more information, but we've nothing else to do at the castle, so I'll have to go back for it later. I'll try to be good about running back for information, but any that I don't get during the playthrough, I'll be sure to include at the end, so don't worry.

Moving on, I temporarily switched Fubar's position and learned that he and Hallec have a unite attack.

The enemy Peckles, by the way, was a rare encounter earlier in the game that I somehow managed to never find. It has since been demoted to a normal enemy.

The unite is sort of silly, actually.

Hallec and Fubar just kind of yell.

It does a good amount of damage to all enemies, however, and even berserks the two of them, so it's really quite good. As in I will probably be using it frequently and Fubar will be staying over there for a little while good.

This is sort of bad news for Hugo, though, who doesn't hit nearly as hard without Fubar's help, and is also a bit delicate on his own. He's still swinging twice per turn, at least.

Moving on, we head for the Great Hollow.

The warriors are still out, so it's pretty empty again.

However, there's a bit of a commotion over by the fountain.

Hmm, looks like Apple is in a bit over her head here.

: "Has something happened?"

: "I had to go for help!"

The scene fades rather abruptly as the group takes over for those Lizard guards.

: "I'll keep that in mind."

: "What happened at the Chisha Village?"

: "Something terrible's happened! That's why I'm here. Harmonian forces are about to take the village. Caesar's there now, but I don't know if he can save them without help. Can I count on you?"

Oh, man. The Harmonian invasion has begun, has it? This can't be good for Chisha. :ohdear: I can only imagine how things turned out for the Safir Clan if the Harmonians have already moved on from there.

Hugo answers without hesitation.

: "If any of the Six Clans are in trouble, it's only right that we go to help. But how much good can we really do?"

A valid point. We are only two men, a kid, his pet griffon, and a duck. Not really much of an army.

I actually really like how she insists we let someone know where we're heading and why, instead of charging ahead blindly.

: "All right. We'll tell Luce."

: "Then it's settled."

: "Sons, I help. I obey the code of villages."

: "My Alliance of Free Knights has the same code: we shield the weak."

: "Let's inform Luce."

Apple joins us as a guest. She'll be hanging out with us until we get to our destination, at the very least.

: "Yes. That's why we need you to inform the Clan Chiefs as soon as they return -- The Lizard Fighters here can't go without the order."

Another thing I like about them leaving a message behind is that they're also preemptively asking for back-up. They know they can't take on an army on their own, and that's a bit of intelligent foresight I feel like doesn't happen often in a group of JRPG protagonists.

: "I will inform them. But must you leave so soon?"

: "Ever since the raid on our village... I've been thinking about what I want. While tracking the Flame Champion, I made a decision."

: "Somehow, I have the feeling that going to the Chisha Village will bring me closer to him."

: "............ I understand, Hugo."

Luce nods, and slowly approaches Hugo.

And then hugs him in a manner most painful in appearance.

: "Wo-owo-wo-owo-wo..."

: "Go now, Hugo, and be safe! Don't give your mother a reason to cry like me."

: "I understand."

: "Hugo... you are Lucia's son in so many ways."

: "I feel it in my bones. Our Clan Chief is a Karayan hero."

She's absolutely beaming.

: "Thanks."

He beams back at her. It's pretty cute on both of their parts.

A few moments later...

: "What of it?"

Hugo huffs defensively.

: "Nothing, nothing at all. I didn't say that was bad."

: "I knew I shouldn't have said it in front of everyone..."

:3:

: "Don't say that. I agree with Luce, Hugo -- I see a great hero in you."

: "I assure you I'm not. Let's go now. Chisha Village needs us."

:kimchi:

She wishes her student were as passionate as Hugo. :haw:

Upon leaving, two new routes open up on our map -- the way to Caleria...

As well as the way to Chisha through the Kuput Forest.

We've got something quick to take care of first, though.

Heading back through Brass Castle again (we can't go through the whole thing yet, but we've got about half of it open to us), we can find that girl we've seen banging on a barrel here since chapter 1.

She trails off and hesitates a moment, before whirling around to face Hugo.

:3:

: "Greetings! I'm Hugo, of Karaya. What are you up to?"

: "We were searching for someone when this pile of... when my friend, um, broke. I'm alone and helpless, you see, so I'm in a tight spot..."

: "Well... yes, actually! This barrel is called Gadget. He's in bad condition right now. One of his main screws fell out somewhere. His gears can't work without it. That's why we're stuck here."

Hahaha. :allears:

:
>"I can help you. You need me to find a screw?"
>"Maybe someone will come along."

: "Really? Thank you so much! Thank you! Thank you! Well, yeah, I want, um... I need you to... to find the screw. Right! I guess it fell out while we were on the way here."

She's so happy. :3:

Luckily, we've been hanging on to this screw for quite a while now, from a monster drop pretty early on. So we can just turn around and talk to her again.

: "Now Gadget Z will finally work right again."

: "Gadget... Z what?"

: "Yeah, that's its name. It fits him, don't you think? Wait a moment, and I'll get him running again."

Hugo may be unfamiliar with Gadget Z, but people who played the second game will recognize him.

Gadget here is a recurring Star, but he's gotten an upgrade since last time.

He was traveling with Belle's mother, actually.

Her mother is Meg from the first two games, who is the niece of yet another star -- this time only from the first game -- Juppo. Juppo was the one who created Gadget, and Meg is to blame for his upgrades since.

: "I am no barrel. I am the culmination of technology and extreme intelligence."

: "My name is Gad--"

He begins to jitter and shake.

: "Gadget Z?"

Oh my.

: "Broken again! Pile of junk! "

: "Hmm...."

: "Gadget Z, do me a favor, okay? Try not to break down in front of everyone. It's embarrassing!"

Belle fiddles with it a bit during a brief fade, before turning back to Hugo.

: "You should go to Budehuc. Keep that Gadget thing there until it's fixed."

: "Hmm? Budehuc? Well, if you say so! Where is it? Ah, over there... I know the way."

Oh, looks like he's back in working condition. Kind of.

: "Gadget Z, can you hear me? You had me worried."

: "Zzz... <crackle> zz... zzzz...."

: "Gadget Z, can you move now?"

: "Belle, you don't sound well. Did you eat something rotten?"

: "Me?! I sound sick? You have an interesting sense of humor!"

She whacks him with a hammer messes with him once more.

: "Dear Hugo, please promise you'll meet me, uh, I mean us, again at the castle. Okay? Bye-bye!"

Belle runs off, with Gadget following behind.

On the way to the Kuput Forest, we run through the Ancient Highway again.

There are some new enemies in the area this time, though.

First up is the Bronze Sun. It's actually a sort of notorious encounter in the game, as it has a chance of dropping the very expensive Fury Runes. Had I been smart and switched out Guillaume for Kidd, who has a very good treasure hunting skill, I could have farmed them. I forgot, though, so we'll have to do it later. The Bronze Suns are fairly uncommon, but they're kind of push-overs. They're at their most common during this chapter.

Out of sheer luck, I also managed to run into the rare encounter of the area, the Malifaux. I believe they always come in pairs, and usually have a couple of Terror Knights as well.

In addition to being one of the stranger enemies of the game, they have a good range of attacks. The first one here involves it shooting out it's satellites. It's pretty weak.

It also has a normal attack, as well as this thing where it stomps on a character for fairly good damage. Most of their danger lies in their ability to target whoever they choose with their ranged attack, as well as attacking in mobs. The Terror Knights are still strong but about as durable as a wet paper towel, but when you've got three of them in addition to two Malifaux, the damage can add up pretty quick. A Wild Roar is a wonderful way to even those odds, though, as it will take out all of the Knights in one turn.

It's still really strange to get used to Hugo actually taking damage now, since he's not riding Fubar.

Anyway, that's it for this update, next time we'll head through the Kuput forest and on to Chisha!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Mua" is apparently a cringingly terrible mis-transliteration of "Moore."

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Fister Roboto posted:

Aw, I wish I didn't know that now. :smith: I was going to talk about the irony in their names in conjunction with their appearances and backstories.

I might still use it anyway. :colbert:

Anyway, while I'm still typing up the interlude, I do have another vote for everyone for something coming up later!

While in Chisha, Hugo encounters someone very unexpected. Should we interrogate them or slice now and question later?

As always, bold your votes, and it will end at some point! Probably on Friday.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Focus on what's important.

Slice now, interrogate later. For the motherland! :black101:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Taco Defender
Interrogate them.

Judging by the fact that we just got some replacement party members, I think it'll likely be a while before Lilly shows up again.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Interrogate them, Batman style.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Slice! Dice! Fillet!

And of course Joe is the handsomest duck. :wotwot:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
interrogate them

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 28, 2013

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Wow, I completely forgot how you met Hallec and Mua in the game. Nor do I have any idea what the focus of this choice is. I really need to replay this game.

Anyway, interrogate them.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
An Interlude - I Ain't Afraid Of You!

So, we were interrupted in our making fun of Joe's scent by some very rude knights in this last part here.

Rather than run, though, let's see what happens if we decide to give them a piece of our mind!

Joe first tries to talk him out of it

But Hugo pushes forward anyway.

Hallec takes one glance at Hugo and decides immediately that he's going to help pummel some knights.

Mua is a little less excited by the prospect.

But he joins us in our standoff none-the-less.

Leo still holds a grudge at us getting away from him before.

Haha.

Roland has a few choice words for us.

But Hallec has a better speech prepared.

So he says, but it's a little too late.

As the battle begins.

As far as fights go, it's sort of unimpressive. I've heard that it's hard from others, but I kind of disagree.

Hallec has a Wrath Rune, like I mentioned in the main update. It's kind of dumb to use it at the beginning of a battle, but what the hell.

As advertised on the description, it heals (or would heal, anyway) and berserks him.

He doesn't do anything else for the turn, really. Which is a shame, and brings me to the only real problem I have with him.

Hallec is strong, comes with a self-heal that only makes him stronger, and has a great unite with Fubar that is pretty wonderful which both kills things and makes him stronger. But he's slow! He'll proceed to pretty much do nothing for the rest of this battle.

I guess he doesn't really seem like a particularly fast character by appearance -- more like the kind to catch arrows with his bear bare chest and slice heads open with his axes. Which is also a little funny, since he's the exact opposite of sturdy. There will be no weapons bouncing off of his steely hide. Just sinking into his gigantic pool of HP.

I do like him a lot, but he isn't one of my go-to party members the way some others are. However, his Wrath Rune really does help his utility a lot. The speed drawback is really his only issue, so long as you've got some spare bandaids or casters on you, and he hits hard enough to make up for it in most situations. Especially if you up his swing skill.

Hugo flies straight over the lines at Leo, and does a lot of damage with his double strike.

Mua gives him a nice conk on the head as well.

Now, as I briefly mentioned in the update, Mua is a much more solid character than Hallec in battle. He's also on the slow side, and his damage output is merely okay to start with (though we'll be fixing up the starting skills on both he and Hallec, no worries), but he's also guaranteed to be one of the last people standing in battle.

His defense is pretty great, and he can even take some magic attacks without crumpling, so he makes a very good shield for squishier units. He's a good space-filler if you need someone reliable.

Joe takes revenge on a knight who thought that he was the easiest target.

Roland is, as always, an inferior marksman to the two in Geddoe's party, as he doesn't manage to hit anyone with his Great Hawk Rune for more than 40 damage.

Hugo punishes him for trying, and Roland goes down, ending the battle. If either one of the two named knights go down, then it's over. I really don't know why anyone would have trouble with it.

Leo's not taking the loss very well.

:iceburn:

I'm sorry, I really like this little bunch of dialogue.

Roland glances behind as Borus and another gaggle of knights run our way.

Joe opts for a third choice, actually.

Fleeing.

Mua runs after.

Followed by Hallec.

Borus, you run too slowly!

From there, the scene continues as before.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hugo meeting Hallec is even better in the manga. It takes place in Duck Village and Hallec catches one of the ducks for dinner.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

yokaiy posted:

: "A thief..."

: "Society demands I call myself a treasure hunter. But you can call me whatever you like."

Nice stealth FF6 reference there.

Anyway, I say... KILL! DESTROY! gently caress 'EM UP! RAAAAAAAAGE!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

And of course Joe is the handsomest duck. :wotwot:

He is both the best and the prettiest of all the ducks. Though apparently the Duck Village mayor has very attractive tail feathers, according to Ernie's quiz if I remember correctly.

Testekill posted:

Hugo meeting Hallec is even better in the manga. It takes place in Duck Village and Hallec catches one of the ducks for dinner.

Yup, and it is wonderful. :allears:

And here is a small portion of it.

Though that scene in general just makes me smile, even before Hallec gets there.

Some day, I will cover the manga in an actual thorough manner with a synopsis of how things go down in that versus the game, I promise. Because the manga is very good. I still stand by my decision to recommending anyone unfamiliar with how the game goes to NOT read it, though, since it goes into ridiculous spoilers early on, but I do recommend reading it after this LP is over or if you've beaten the game.

Also, as a general but kind of unrelated note, things are easing back to normal amounts of hectic, so I should be able to return to my regular(???) update schedule if things continue this way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haha good lord. I've never recruited Belle with Hugo. Poor guy is completely oblivious to the extent to which she is seeing him through Bishounen Goggles.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Haha good lord. I've never recruited Belle with Hugo. Poor guy is completely oblivious to the extent to which she is seeing him through Bishounen Goggles.

Yeah, that was a first for me, too. It even changed some of Gadget's lines.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's Moops.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Interrogate them, for our Hugo is calm and rational, and it furthers his development.

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been reading through it, the past few days, and I had nearly forgotten how much I loved this game.

wokow6 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 30, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You should never miss a chance for more exposition. :words:

(That means Interrogate them.)

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

Yup, and it is wonderful. :allears:

And here is a small portion of it.

If only I had bought the volumes past 3 back when they were getting released. Ah well.

Also, interrogation!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Now that we are well into not-Friday territory (whoops!), I'm gonna call the vote. Hugo will be a calm, sensible person, and ask questions before going at peoples' throats.

There's one in every game. :haw: The only difference in III is that you can miss it.

wokow6 posted:

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been reading through it, the past few days, and I had nearly forgotten how much I loved this game.

Well, I am glad I was here to remind you! Welcome aboard.

Verant posted:

If only I had bought the volumes past 3 back when they were getting released. Ah well.

A terrible shame, that. It really is quite good. Probably one of my favorite -- if not my favorite -- manga adaptations of a game series. I just wish the translations hadn't been so sloppy for some parts for it. I'm looking at you, page where they gave Chris the wrong last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

So, Hallec. He's one of our S-Rank Swing users, and a good lesson in how important the skill is. Once you max that skill out, he'll generally get 3 swings off his axe here. by comparison, that's around the same speed as Lily. Except of course he has an AXE, so all those swings hurt; he's actually #3 in physical damage by default, before runes, behind Juan and the other S-Rank Swing fighter.

Now that said, he's not really one of the top tier characters. He doesn't dodge, have armor, or take magic well, so any hits are going straight to his HP which is a bad strategy in this game. He's also pretty static: if memory serves, he has no open rune slots. The Wrath Rune is pretty good, and berserk is a good effect to have, but that's the limits of his ability. Never knew he had a unite with Fubar though, that's pretty cool.

Mua's one of the four uber-tanks. Unlike his brethren, he has good magical defense as well, and a good stock of MP, so he's a good choice if you want a pocket healer as well, albeit his Water ranks are mediocre as I recall.

We don't see them in action, but Belle and Gadget-Z are also combat PCs. They... uh, some of the weakest non-joke characters int he game really. Gadget is a monster type, meaning he can't use equipment, which would be useful if we had more limited PC options but Hugo's kinda set. Belle's a bit like Joker in overall build, but her specialty is Earth magic which... really, really got the shaft in Suikoden III.

• Locked thread