Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Assuming this is right (too lazy to make an image:)

Maria Santore, Occult Troubleshooter on Wheels, in:
Akuryou Taisan, Akuryou Taisan!
(Green Fury attack a Hakurei test. Bonus Cthonian)
Guest Starring:
Juliana in "Corporate Knight-Errant"

Anna Asagiri, MGPI, in:
Black Cat Strut
(Children of Chaos cell raid goes sour)
Guest Starring:
Storms in "Janitor of the Human Soul"
Shiro?

Murasaki Shiro, Ex-Shinigami Cyborg in:
Spellsword Sellsword
(Working at Hakurei, The Beach)
Guest Starring:
Maria?
Ando?

Arlington Espinoza-Storms, Cannon Fodder in:
Afrikanized Killer Water
(Long campaign against a research firm that refused to pay)
Guest starring:
Maria in "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
Ando in "Lord of War"

Moriyuki Ando, Penny-Pinching Pencil Pusher in:
Better Living Through Market Research
(Contract competition with Kirisame Optical turns nasty)
Guest Starring:
Juliana in "A Cut-Glass Accent and a Gun Will Get You Further Than a Gun Alone"

Juliana Morgan, Six Million Dollar Woman in:
Absolutely, Positively Will Not Stop
(Revenge on the Children of Chaos cell that forced her into a cybernetic body)
Guest Starring:
Storms in "I love brainy women"

Left to guest star: Shiro x1, Anna x2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Murasaki Shiro guesting in BLACK CAT STRUT...

Shiro did not have many friends outside of Dreamland, but there was one ex-soldier type in particular who she’d first met as a getaway driver and had remained drinking buddies with ever since. When Storms called her up one afternoon about a jewelry drop off in Chicago that was way too suspicious to handle alone she hopped the next catbus over right away.

<Doku kurawaba sara made.> Ueru said, as he usually did when she ran off to help people. If you’ve eaten poison, lick the plate. He thought getting involved in other people’s problems was a waste of time, but after many years of watching the Murasaki swordsmen, he knew there was no arguing with them on that point. Might as well have fun doing it.

When Storms’ car broke down about 5 blocks from the address, and the sound of gunshots started echoing through the neighborhood, she took off in that direction at a run with him hot on her heels. The American was surprisingly quick for the amount of protective gear he always wore.
As they reached the building (bullets still echoing one after another in the night air,) Storms broke out a window and wiggled inside. Shiro was about to follow when she heard a door slam on the outside of the back of the building. She took off running in that direction, and it was a good thing she did.

There were six of them, escaping out the back. Bloody cultist robes and tattoos marked them as Children of Chaos. Ueru sprang into brilliant blue flame. Then there were five, and four, and three, and two. These last she put to question briefly, but there was no mercy in her for cultists.

When she rejoined Storms, he was in front of the building, loading a girl’s body into the back of a fancy car. The pink haired woman handed over the credits, and the two of them were soon alone.

“That went well enough.” Shiro said, wiping the blood off the blade with a white cloth. “Shall we try to repair your car and get some sake to celebrate?”

Aspect: Doku Kurawaba Sara Made (If you've eaten poison, lick the plate)

Shiro doesn't do things by halves, when she dedicates herself to a task she will see it through to the very end, no matter what or who gets in her way. This aspect also covers Ueru's attempts at Ancient Japanese Wisdom, which he is fairly good at remembering but was terrible at listening to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So the plan is still for Shiro to have first met Storms (and Juliana) in Dubai then? Cool, that works.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also in advance: here are the new game banners!

You will never guess which one is Miami.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That neon eldritch sign is the best thing ever.

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
I'll wait to see what Maynard's guest spot in Kim's is before I write Kim's in Maynard

Guest Starring In: I have no time for fear

"So one of the perks of my job is I travel all over the place. One time I was sent to London to help out in a missing persons case. While I didn't expect it to end with beautiful men brawling atop a burning building (Why does this keep happening to me), the mission was more then a success. During the clean-up raids, I (literally) stumbled upon a couple of odd books. They were pretty wore, and they had this weird symbol on the front. It was one I remember from when I was doing research with Dylan on his condition (I remember it cause he really wanted to get it tattooed on his arm someday), it looks like a star with an eye in the center. I... couldn't under stand what a word of what was inside of them meant, even the one that wasn't written in medieval french. Still, I decided to ... "Hold on" to them, in case they came in handy (or I find someone outside of work who knows medieval french)."

OVA: Mythos Magpie

Invoke: Good at concealing things on her person, Knows the value of a good book, "I have the 5th edition of that! The cover is tore off and there are coffee stains on half the pages, but you can still kinda read it!"
Compel: Steal tomes of forgotten lore without OOI knowlege, Has difficulty understanding anything written inside said tomes, Doesn't know how to take care of said tomes (The coffee was hers).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Kai Tave posted:

So the plan is still for Shiro to have first met Storms (and Juliana) in Dubai then? Cool, that works.

Indeed it is sir!

Murasaki Shiro guest starring in... ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WILL NOT STOP

While Juliana smashed her way up through the final building, she overheard some of the radio chatter on the handsets her enemies were carrying.

“gently caress ---ther one?”

“How ma-- --ches are try--- --- kill us?”

“Has tha- --- a flami---- ---ord?”

As she rampaged up the stairs she came upon a hallway where all of the cultists were already dead. There was the distinct scent of burning in the air, and the men were all sliced to pieces as if by a huge two handed….

*SHING*

…sword that came crashing down at her from a side door she had thought was closed. The blade rang as she blocked it, and when she grabbed it to snap it in two like the piece of crap metal it should have been it twisted free of her grip with a twang.

Shiro, breathing hard from excitement and exertion, backed away a few steps and held Ueru at the ready.

<Careful, that one packs a punch!> The sword warned her.

The women circled each other for a few seconds then closed on each other at exactly the same time. There was a flurry of blows and bullets, too fast for an ordinary person to see more than half the exchange. When they separated, there were only superficial scratches.

“Hold.” Shiro said. “You are far too good to be working for these… pigs.” She spat on one of the corpses. “What is your purpose here?”

In a moment the two realized they were after the same goal. “I will help you get your revenge.” Shiro said, almost reverently. “Revenge is very important.” Like a shadow, the ninja fell into step with the cyborg and the pair of them raced to the top of the tower. It was almost like a game. Shiro found herself having a great deal more fun than she usually did on solo missions, and even Ueru liked Julianna. Like a two-woman wrecking crew, the pair of them destroyed anyone or anything the enemy threw at them.

When they finally reached the Dhoanoid leader, Shiro held off the enemy reinforcements so Juliana could focus on the target. And when it was over, they fled the building covered in blood and worse, Shiro leading Julia on a death-defying leap out the sixth story window to land in a crater of force aimed downwards from her blade.

They stumbled free of the place just in time for Storms to pull up in the getaway van.

“Hello.” The ninja said, climbing into the back seat. “Thank you for the ride.”

Aspect: Law of Inverse Ninja Strength

When a ninja is alone fighting many, her strength increases one hundred fold! But there is nothing weaker than a large group of ninjas! Shiro is really good when outnumbered and in 1v1 duels, but in a big group fight she doesn't have that special spotlight so she loses a lot of potency. Why? Because that is how ninjas work! Everybody knows that!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Alright, enough lazing around, it's time for me to crank this one out. Presenting Santiago's second guest star...

Guest Starring In: "You're Invited To A Mythos Family Reunion"

"Can I go in yet?"

"No."

---

"Can I go in yet?"

"No."

Sitting back on his chair in the middle of the deserted apartment, Santiago stared at the monitor array in front of him and grinned. An emergency call from a Soul Network contact meant he'd raced for Berlin overnight to keep an eye on a gathering of eldritch nasties, and act as support for one of the OOIs agents inside. Unlike most of his assignments, though, he'd received explicit, extremely serious orders not to intervene until the situation had escalated. The whole thing was such a powder keg that any bad moves could unleash complete pandemonium on the city. If something went wrong, his job would be to stall for time until Engel squads could arrive. If those agents couldn't handle the situation, drastic measures would be leveled against the threat. Needless to say, Santiago was dying to know just what the hell was going on inside, and the operative handling the matter, one Aidan Frost, had not been particularly forthcoming with information.

So, he was settling for acting dumber and more eager than he was and pestering him with the kinds of questions a kid would ask. The extra distraction would help him bring his A-Game, anyway.

One of the screens flashed as a tab indicated he had received messages. Keeping an eye on the screen that monitored Frost's vital signs (and especially, his heartrate), Santiago seized a keyboard.

pre:
<BlackWidowmaker>hiiii, how's our boy doing? ^_^
<BrightChild>Angry, but that's normal for him. Australia still bad?
<BlackWidowmaker>Ugh, yes, I can't wait for my transfer. I just want out already! (-_-)
<BlackWidowmaker>BTW, how'd he react to the offer? I've got some people who would love to have his help.
<BrightChild>Been too busy to ask, gimme a second.
Opening communications, Santiago pitched his voice up a little and spoke. "Hey, Frosty, ever felt like just saying 'screw it' and leaving all this behind? Doesn't look like you're having too much fun to me!"

"And forget about dealing with you, kid? Every second since you jumped in."

pre:
<BrightChild>Ain't too happy about his job. Pretty sure he'd desert it if he could.
<BlackWidowmaker>Yaaaaaay! We just have to offer him the right incentive. I'll be working on it. Keep up the good work!
"Keep up the good work? Sure." Sometimes, working for the Soul Network had nice perks. It was good to have understanding bosses. Once again, Santiago opened communication lines, and this time, his voice was normal (if a little amused) as he spoke.

"Hey Aidan, what if I told you I'm part of a super-secret worldwide organization and I want to recruit you for it? You interested?"

"Kid, I swear if you keep loving with me I'm gonna get out of here and leave you hanging for a wire by your intestines. Shut up already!"

"Fair. I just got one last question then."

"What is it? What?"

"Can I go in already?"

"ARGH!

Aspect: Child's Play (Is Serious Business)
Invoke: To act like a child to his benefit; To leave lasting impressions on people and get them expecting certain things from him; To have certain contacts and resources at his disposal (Mostly all illegal ones)
Compel: For an impression to be too long-lasting; To kid around too much and too long; To have his business bite him in the rear end.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

mistaya posted:

Shiro's Part 3 Part 1: Spellsword Sellsword

"So, yeah! That sword of yours. Possessed artifact that you draw upon regularly for greater power, right? Mine's like that too! Though, uh, mine's more of a bike. Some creature I summoned from space a while ago and bound to this old thing. I just borrow her power for spells, nothing evil or anything like that. She told me about your sword, she could sense that stuff a mile away. So don't freak out, your secret's safe with me. But if you're going to handle fire like this, take my advice, okay? Don't make them talk more than they should.

"Like say, right now? I'm sure you can tell by now, but my bike was making fun of your sword's mother. And sounds like she just swallowed a sick burn in return. And I'm sure you're all 'Oh, that's completely harmless and not grating in the long run', but no. No. They're just trying to let your guard down, Shiro. Before you know it, they start telling you stuff you wanna hear. Power, glory, revenge. You keep calling on them more and more, until you can't afford the cost. Especially when that happens. The things they can do when they have your head.

"Point is, don't make them even start, okay? They work through your mind, so distract them with mental card games or some sacred geometry mazes. Or I guess apply for the Hakurei Exorcism Protection Plan. Gotta be a full employee though. The paperwork's a bitch, too. I can help you out, th- Hmm?" Maria downs the last of her Gatorade bottle and tosses it in the bin. "A shingami, huh. Uh, okay, I guess I don't actually know anything about that." She steps on the pedal to roar her bike to life. "You wanna talk about it? It's a bit of a drive to The Beach."

After Siena, Tokyo and that third world warzone, Maria figured that a transfer to Florida meant just a little break for her. Not even for a second! Trouble lurked down here too and she ran with a few co-workers this time to shoot them down. Well, they needed to find something to shoot first. When they made it to The Beach, nothing showed outwardly. No recordings, no eyewitnesses, only three bodies near the scene. The only possible clues waited inside the Beach and who knew what the hell waited inside there?

She mulled on it with the others for a bit, until the Beast offered her observations. "Really? After all that talk earlier, I'm gonna go make myself look uncool in front of them?" Maria sighed. "Fine. Do it. What? Really? Ahh... fine! Geez. Okay, ahem... 'Great Beast, I goddamn beseech you for your assistance. I want to see what you're seeing, right now.'"

And just like that, her eyes flashed blank a second. A second too much, if you asked her. When her sight came back, she gasped and cursed and almost wanted to gouge her eyes. The human mind can barely grasp what eldritich beasts see each and every day. But she needed to see it.

"So... ouch, you remember that bit about geometry?" Maria said as she picked herself up. "That's why the cameras and satellites don't pick up anything. Whatever came out of The Beach screwed things up as it left, just not in the way we normally see. Like it took a bit of reality and masked it around itself as it went. Left a trail of misplaced points and non-Eudclidean spaces everywhere, especially over the dead bodies. Can you see it now? Check out that hydrant. That is a weird hydrant."

She shook her head, the mind still reeling from the sight. "So, some kind of... reality chameleon that eats people, I guess? I don't know. How are we going to pin down this one?"

Omake: The Paranatural Connection

Invokes: spot (and pull) the loose threads, put years of occult study to good use, contact the arcane underground, sometimes sense unnatural poo poo beyond mortal ken
Compels: hear and feel things she shouldn't, obsess on the small details, see some freaky sights, yo

Mitama fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 13, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Anna Asagiri Guest Stars in: Better Living Through Market Research

"Funny story; I tried out for the JDF once. Made top five, too, before the whole thing went to poo poo. Yeah, they hold tryouts for those sorts of things; one part talent show, one part Battle Royale. Take a bunch of Mags to a fabulous location for an all-expenses paid tour of duty. All broadcasted, of course; underage girls and wanton destruction are like catnip to viewers. Beats variety shows, I guess.

Anyway, I'm all pigtails and butterflies, throwing up in my little barf bag on the boat ride. I'm being hyped up and down: generational talent, member of the MG5, junior detective, all that. I'm like 13 and barely a year out of a hikki phase. No pressure. They got me with a bunch of bush league talent, blissfully unaware of what's to come. Everybody's chatting and giggling and gossiping like it's a school trip.

Most of 'em are dead now. I did at least one."

[silence, sound of refilling and rapidly draining glass]

"We get to the resort island and get molested by cameras. I'm on anti-anxes so everything is beautiful. I'm all smile and wave do the cute nerd girl thing. I'm working the crowd and some nerdlinger pulls me aside. Rattles off PR copy about me and about ExoCute. I'm about to blow him off when he starts talking about my dad. Now I'm interested; I try to grill him but he just hands me a .357 with his info on it. Second best gun I've ever had, next to this baby.

They give us the spiel: we get let loose randomly around the island and have to 'non-lethally' fight our way to the middle. Cliques started forming; I wasn't in one. Girls started dropping; I wasn't one. I was in my zone the whole time. When I'm in my zone, nothing can gently caress with me.

I'm a few hundred yards out before everything goes FUBAR. Apparently Mr. ExoCute wasn't the only one hawking big guns to little girls; KO wanted a slice and they wanted it bad. Started a loving firefight right in front of the goal. Thinking it was a part of the act, I did the whole name of the moon thing. One of the jackoffs shot me mid pose, so I beat him with a nailbat. I was a hosed up kid, alright? Don't judge me.

Now I'm covered in blood, screaming, seeing red, swinging at whatever comes near. Just straight up berserker rage. I was the last girl standing at this point, but the bastard judges DQed me. Something about being 'deeply disturbed' and 'highly unstable'. I swing until I physically can not hold the bat anymore, then go to town with the nearest object. ExoCute .50 Yagami SuperS. Gold finish. In that moment, with this gun, I had the hugest dick in Neo-Japan. And I still do.

Ever since that day, I've been a proud ExoCute customer. Have to get all that pink cutesy crap retouched, though."

Aspect: The Zone
Invoke: To perform when it's crunch time, to hyperfocus on a single task
Compel: To catch Whitman Fever, to get trapped in magical girl routine

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Trigger Warning: Sharon's roll was a success with style, so if someone needs a +2 they can have a bonus from her now. If the rest of you roll well Cirno can use it without spending a FP I guess.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ettin posted:

Trigger Warning: Sharon's roll was a success with style, so if someone needs a +2 they can have a bonus from her now. If the rest of you roll well Cirno can use it without spending a FP I guess.

I'm not spending one, I'm using my free tag on my maneuver? But if nobody else needs the +2 I'll take it and save my maneuver :D

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Moriyuki Ando guest stars in...
"Spellsword Sellsword"

"I'm on vacation, I don't know anything about it," he told the two ladies and their respective demonic accouterments. The boardshorts he was wearing, statistically the most popular amongst his demographic, backed him up on this. The suit jacket, the suitcase, the Italian loafers... less so. When they pressed him as to why they found him casually walking out of The Beach knocking sand out of his shoes instead of sliding out as a puddle of magically pulverised goo, he merely held up his hand. "I'm unable to comment on ExoCute business, nor on the actions of any..." he glanced at the bodies "...independent ExoCute/Hakurei contractors."

He squatted down and resumed fiddling with his suitcase, pulling out an imposing wad of paper and a large fountain pen. He began a laborious process of checking boxes and filling in items as he talked. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to filling out the loss of asset notification for the prototype tracking device I have foolishly lost during my vacational swim. It is of utmost importance, able as it is to signify the proximity of ExoCute employees, including independent contractors."

With a satisfied nod, he placed the forms into a slot at the side of the suitcase, where they disappeared with a merry chime. "As I said, it was incredibly foolish of me." He knocked the last of the sand out of his shoe, dislodging what looked like a small pink phone charm onto the ground. It glowed amongst the sand as Moriyuki bowed respectfully. "If the ladies would excuse me, I must terminate my vacation early and attend to business matters."

The pink glow ebbed as he walked away.

___

They didn't see the man again until after the Bakhi* had been tracked, revealed, hit with a possessed motorcycle and ran through with a flaming sword a few times. Y'know, the easy part. Desperate, its wings clipped and its powers fading, it made one last lunge down an alleyway before Ando stepped in front of it holding up an ornate-looking form. The creature screamed as its talon slashed the papers, a flash of blinding light obscuring the two figures.

A few rapid heartbeats later, the meek salaryman stood alone holding a torn half of the paper in each hand, the Bakhi vanished to whatever hideous realm had spawned it. His voice wobbled as he examined the paper in his hands. "It... appears the independent contractor has chosen to prematurely terminate his agreement." He let the paper slip from his fingers, falling to shreds around him as he recovered himself. "My apologies. My name is Moriyuki Ando, it is my privilege to humbly represent ExoCute in some minor matters. Please," he held out an inscribed .357 and a particularly kawaii throwing dagger, handles first "...my card."

*half a glance at the CTech book, someone who knows better feel free to suggest something more appropriate

Aspect: The Devil Went Down To Florida

Invoke: To deal with devils, to double talk, to exploit bureaucratic loopholes.
Compel: To deal with devils, to never talk straight, to be bound by the will of The Company

Destrado fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 13, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That just leaves Anna to be the other guest star in Maria's V3 and we're set.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, since the not-OOI team is only waiting on one phase and people are getting antsy, it's time for city creation! Scroll down a bit on the Dubai post if you want to see how it works. I'll post the OOI team's once they get a couple more phases down.

MIAMI

This game is set in the South Florida Metroplex, specifically the city of Miami. (Feel free to set nearby places as Locations though, it's a big 'plex.) It's a center of interplanetary trade with a big spaceport so I hope you like weird stuff.

Themes and Threats

You guys need to put together two threats or themes for Miami. I have one:

quote:

Theme: Plastic Beach

Miami's clubs and beaches are glamorous as hell. People are willing to come all the way from Mars and beyond just to check them out. But stay in the 'plex long enough, get far enough from the main streets, maybe actually look at what's around you and it turns out a lot of the art deco and LED lighting is covering up a weird, dangerous side to the city nobody wants to look at, let alone talk about.

Factions

Factions again! Post one you think would be cool - gang, corporation, government body, monsters, whatever. Since this isn't a Soul Network game it would be great if one of them were a Soul Network group, whichever has the most presence in the area (a major one or some new minor one), but I'm okay with picking one myself if you don't have any ideas.

As before give them a name, 1-2 aspects, a Goal and a short description!

Locations

1-2 locations with an aspect or two each, the usual. :siren: However, I will be using special rules for collateral damage in this game which could potentially change their aspects, so don't make anything you're not expecting to eventually break and maybe get in trouble over. Here's one:

quote:

THE BALL
Aspects: Glitzy Tourist Party Station; You Got Off On The Wrong Floor, Stranger

The Ball is Miami's arcology, built to deal with some of the SFM's housing problems. It was built during an unprecedented period of good planning decisions, so it's pretty sturdy and performs its job better than later arcology projects. Its proximity to the spaceport has made it a favourite destination for tourists (especially tourists from Mars), and the lowest and uppermost floors are dedicated to clubs, artificial beaches, casinos and tourist traps.

The rest is mostly comfortable residential spaces and corporate offices. Some corporations have purchased large blocks of residential space - sometimes even entire floors - to create communities for their employees. While it still relieves the SFM's population problem, this has led to a large population of insular permanent residents who interact little with people outside their little community and are very unwelcoming to visitors, lost tourists, new people who don't fit in and sometimes law enforcement.

Faces

Come up with any Faces you like! They should have at least one aspect, a description, a goal and a theme/threat/location/faction associated with them.

Notes

• Bonus points if you give Factions/Locations/Faces at least one glamorous "good" aspect and one seedy "bad" aspect to fit the Plastic Beach theme! The bonus points aren't worth anything.
• Large locations like The Ball and Cuba (since I know someone was planning on it) can have other Locations inside them if you want.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

quote:

Theme: PLAYGROUND OF DESTRUCTION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZu69OB2KM

Strange EMP surges and freak electrical storms, political volatility in the Caribbean, the corruption and incompetence of the Miami-Dade PD, a strange new drug ingested by snorting (rumored to be made out of some kind of marine life), the billions and billions of NEG credits flowing through the region, and Florida being Florida have contributed to the highest rate of violence on the North American continent. Gang wars, corporate skirmishes pretending to be gang wars, raging gun battles and even explosions are not unheard as everyone tries to grab a chunk of the obnoxiously pink, glowing, Neo-Capitalist Mecca for themselves.

Expanding on this, seedy dive bars, new Palm Beach for the decadent old-money, south side for the "Scarface" style new money.

quote:

THE SCAR, largely abandoned after a freak planecrash rumored to be carrying some kind of occult doodad, the area was evacuated by the NEG, then cordoned off for three years. The place never recovered afterwards and now its just depressing; sad monorail going click click click, abandoned storefronts, bus benches advertising talentless talk radio, dogs loving outside Car Title Loanshark/pawnshops, etc. This does, however, make for a great place if you don't want to be found, or arrange a meeting you don't want others to see.

This, however, doesn't mean others haven't tried. The crash opened up a canal to the seaboard and one Jefferson Davis Rockefeller-DuPont-Alhazred, heir to about three or four different fortunes, is attempting gentrification, starting with an obnoxiously huge casino right above the former crater. Its marina and helicopter accessible, obviously, so the highrollers don't actually have to drive through the Scar). A string of mansions (heavily fortified with private security) have begun to spring up around it.

Location Aspects: Roll them bones. Hey, those look like a bunch of human bones. Hive of Scum and Villainy. Money is no object
Face Aspects: I have people to do that. Daddy's money

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 15, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Awright, let's get started. I like the sound of these new collateral damage rules too. This is going to be a good game I can tell.

Well the Theme I had been tinkering with is essentially the same as the one Ettin posted only in about three times as many words. So instead, here's a Faction and a Location.

MetroSec Security Ltd.

MetroSec is a private security firm contracted to provide police and rapid tactical response services for the South Florida Metroplex, taking the place of a traditional municipal police force. This works about as well as you'd expect privatized law enforcement to work. MetroSec prides itself on its "tough on crime" stance and high arrest rate, and suggestions that this may be related to the fact that MetroSec is also in charge of the Metroplex's prison system are dismissed as slanderous insinuations by jealous competitors. Fortunately the Metroplex government still handles the actual trials and sentencing side of things, but MetroSec has made more than a few overtures that they wouldn't mind taking on that burden themselves. After all, jury duty is such a chore, am I right?

The average MetroSec cop is about the same as the average municipal police officer in most respects, albeit with a bit more leeway to employ lethal force (which, to be fair, isn't too unreasonable in a setting full of para-psychics, cultists, monsters wearing human skin, and LARPers), but they also maintain a sizable High Threat Response Unit for responding to high threats (that's threats which are significant in nature, not threats which are high as balls). Thanks to the continued efforts of various cults and terrorist groups to kill as many people as (in)humanly possible, MetroSec has been able to convince the Metroplex civic council to sign off on regular budgetary increases for things like armored vehicles, heavy weapons, the occasional power suit, and really bitchin' helmets.

Aspects: To Protect and Serve...Our Valued Clients, "Stop, or we'll *BLAM BLAM BLAM* shoot!", "We need backup!"
Goals: Justify yearly budget increases, monopolize South Florida's justice system, be cool like those guys on COPS

Armstrong International Spaceport

With the advent of the D-drive and other arcanotech like antigravity pods and astronaut food that doesn't suck, space flight has come a long way since the days in which people strapped a capsule or a shuttle to a bunch of potentially explosive rockets and hoped nothing went wrong. While space travel still isn't as commonplace as air travel, enough transit and trade takes place between Earth and the various colonies that Miami is home to a full-fledged spaceport, launching and receiving passengers and cargo to and from Mars, the NEG Artemis joint research facility on the moon, and the few space stations in orbit around the planet as well as launching satellites and disposing of hazardous materials so dangerous that even Floridian businesses won't risk dumping them into the Everglades.

The days of NASA running the show are long gone; the spaceport is owned and operated by a multi-corporate consortium of which Algol Extraterran Interests owns the largest stake (this is how you can tell it's the future, because corporations have privatized things that used to be run by the government), though they maintain a spaceflight museum there that preserves a number of historicaly and culturally significant objects such as a full-fledged space shuttle, computers from the old Cape Canaveral Mission Control station, and Tang.

Aspects: Gateway To the Stars, Exotic Cargo, Strangers From Strange Lands, Spaceport Security

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 14, 2013

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Kai Tave posted:

...and Tang.

If the Tang reservoir doesn't end up spilling and covering everything as far as the eye can see the Miami game deserves to be called a failure. :colbert:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Anna Asagiri guest stars in: Akuryou Taisan, Akuryou Taisan!

"I don't do bodyguard work. I'll do anything with my clothes on as long as it's not bodyguard work. Used to, when I was young and stupid. Younger, at least. Paid like poo poo, got treated like poo poo, saw a whole lot of poo poo. Bodyguard work is poo poo all around, but I did it. Most of the time I was just paid to stand around and look tough. You know how hard it is to look tough when you're an underfed Japanese girl? Nobody took me seriously until I built up a rep for being a loose cannon. Then nobody would hire me because I was a loose cannon. loving bullshit, man.

For a few months, I had to live on ramen and rotgut. I live on ramen and rotgut now, but that's by choice. When you have no other choice, it sucks. It sucks bad. If it weren't for my magic, I would've starved. So when I get the chance to protect some Hakurei labmonkey I jump on it. The hours were hell and the principal was a lolicon, but it paid good so I lived with it. The raid was a bonus; nothing relieves stress like justifiable murder.

Then the tentacles happened.

In my line of work, you develop a healthy fear of tentacles. Slimy, sticky, acidic bastards getting grabby like your drunk rear end in a top hat prom date. Worst part is, they like 'em young. Something about purity or hormones. Whatever it is, they bee-line for girls; the ones that aren't dumb masses of meat like to play with their food. Restrain 'em, pump 'em full of pheromones and mind-altering parasites, you know the rest. drat shame for the blonde working Arcano troubleshooter, they love blondes.

Lucky for her, I didn't want to get bullshitted out of my pay. I put myself between her and the tentacles and start unloading. She's working the seals, I'm spraying lead, everything's beautiful. We clean the place out, badda bing badda boom. I'm already imagining making it rain in the bar but I get jack poo poo. Suits dock my whole pay for 'collateral damage'. And that's why I don't do bodyguard work."

Aspect: Work Time Fun
Invoke: To complete a job even if it kills her, to pull useful trivia on magic, monsters and murder
Compel: To get screwed over by bureaucracy, for there to always be a catch, to refuse to do honest work

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 14, 2013

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Transient People posted:

If the Tang reservoir doesn't end up spilling and covering everything as far as the eye can see the Miami game deserves to be called a failure. :colbert:
If the Tang reservoir ends up in the game I will compel whatever I need in order to outshift a Dresden wizard on my demo roll.

Kai Tave posted:

MetroSec Security Ltd.

:stonk::respek::cry: Petitioning this aspect be renamed "Overfiend Clause"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 14, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ronwayne posted:

:stonk::respek::cry: Petitioning this aspect be renamed "Overfiend Clause"

Okay, this was probably an inevitable joke and I'm glad you didn't make it super weird, but let's nip it in the bud before it gets all CthulhuTech up in my grill. No Urotsukidoji references or tentacle-themed aspects, TIA.

E: The video is a little too NSFW to set the right tone too!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 14, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey, you know what we could use after that? Something on the lighter side.

A faction:

Soul Network Cell: South Beach Superstars!

These guys aren't the main branch of the Metroplex's Soul Network organization, they're just an extremely active cell that's something of a roaming light in the seedy darkness. You're probably expecting a bunch of upbeat do-gooders like this to be nothing more than a facade for fathomless corruption and a bunch of hosed-up psychological problems but you're wrong you jerk, this isn't a Garth Ennis comic, these guys really do just like helping out, beating back the forces of chaos and evil, and making the world a better place one halted evil ritual at a time.

Of course, the Metroplex being what it is they've got their work cut out for them. South Florida is a big chunk of ground to cover and the Soul Network only has so many people it can call on to tackle all the problems that spring up. The Superstars! often have to make the difficult choice to prioritize one emergency over another, so it sure would be nice if they had a bunch of heavily-armed associates with experience in beating the poo poo out of cultists and monsters they could call on to help them out with that. They probably couldn't pay much, but favors are always nice to have and besides, killing cultists is its own reward.

The South Beach Superstars! (the exlamation point is mandatory) are:

Kelly Hua, the relentlessly peppy and upbeat member of G://0st
Zerth, the cool and mysterious yet brooding Akathar who also happens to be a Tager (the cool and mysterious thing is largely an act, he's actually kind of a dork, but he really is a Tager)
Alex García, a former Miami-Dade PD officer who was let go when the Metroplex turned things over to MetroSec, the voice of experience with lots of connections
Shauna DeMarco, a graffiti artist and magician who can bring painted images to life and throw up tags that act like wards and ritual circles
Kenji Iwamoto, a hotheaded and intense Shinigami who loves killing evil wizards (all Shinigami love killing evil wizards, but Kenji is seriously down with some evil wizard murder)

Aspects: "Don't worry, we're here to help!", Outnumbered But Only Sometimes Outgunned, Point of Light
Goals: Kick evil's rear end, help people in need, stay off the radar

And a face to go with it:

Kelly Hua

Kelly Hua is so amazingly upbeat, you guys. She is totes excited to be out there helping save the world (or at least South Florida) from monsters and cultists and monster cultists and evil wizards. Are you excited? Because she's excited.

As a member of G://0st, Kelly defies stereotypes by not being an enormous nerd. Oh, she is an enormous nerd and can ramble on for hours (and hours) about the latest quantum quad-core hyperprocessors and multi-threaded intrusion algorithms, but she doesn't let that define her, y'know? She's just as likely to talk your ear off about fashion trends, celebrity gossip, your favorite thing ever, and pwning n00bs at Arcane Werewolf Online. She leads the South Beach Superstars! (she came up with the name, can you tell?) by virtue of sheer, inexhaustible enthusiasm and a keen analytical mind, and she also helps keep the group funded by hacking the bank accounts of rich assholes and exploiting bugs in MMO auction houses. When bigger guns are needed she also has Antoinette, a power suit which she "liberated" from MetroSec and tricked out with a bunch of warrantee-voiding modifications and a paint job that would make an ExoCute marketing executive reflexively start reaching for a cease-and-desist letter, but she tends to keep that option in reserve because it's pretty much the opposite of subtle.

Kelly also has a dark secret! Her name isn't Kelly Hua, it's actually Emily Pierce, daughter of a Metroplex councilwoman and a prestigious biotech researcher. Her parents are usually too busy with their careers to notice what she's up to (which is largely how she got involved with the Soul Network in the first place) but if they ever found out then she would be totally grounded for life.

Aspects: "Ohmigawd, totally!", Super High School Level Hacker, "Magical Ride-Armor Antoinette GO!"
Goals: Make people smile, keep her friends safe, avoid being grounded

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 14, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Gonna do some Hakurei stuff cause, you know. (Do one of us need to write them down as a Faction?)

Hakurei Industries's main manufacturing site, Yatagarasu produces nearly all of Hakurei's (tested and least-likely-to-backfire) product designs via the cold, automated process of mass production. Thanks to the nearby Armstrong Spaceport, Yatagarasu can easily procure raw materials from the colonties, as well as ship finished occult-exterminating products to all corners of human space. Because you know, that's where the monsters come from. Space.

Few actually work in the massive facility (living in sort of a technician village), as robot arms and conveyor belts produce Arcanotech devices while state-of-the-art printers and other publishing stuff turn the mystical power of occult protection wards into an easily-printed science. With the low human population however, Hakurei can afford to skimp on silly things like air-conditioning and proper ventilation so long as it doesn't damage the industrial-strength machines. And you thought the Metroplex was humid.

Aspects: Hakurei Industries Manufactory; Automated Assembly Line; Blazing Hells, It's Hot!

Face: Hikomaro Yabeno
While a few dozen Hakurei techies manage the assembly line and the machines, most of Yatagarasu Facility's day-to-day operations go to a virtual intelligence housed deep beneath the complex. More than just a glorified OS with a voice, the Hikomaro Yabeno VI prowls the perimeter of Yatagarasu with zeal and fury of a Japanese exorcist. Not only does he maintain the facility's functions and security system, he also tracks all Hakurei employees in the Metroplex in the same network. No employee slacks off under his omnipresence!

Hikomaro also stars in his own series of viral videos* promoting Hakurei Industries. He hopes to someday beat that Buddha-damned turtle as the company mascot.

Aspects: Pervading Hakurei VI; Master of Yin and Yang (Lasers); Just call the Onmyouji, LET'S GO!
Goal: Protect Yatagarasu with security lasers, become a online celebrity
c
*TW: buddhist monks dancing to techno

Threat: Monster of the Week
These days, Miami no longer caters to just the mundane affairs of vice and violence. Oh no, with the help of space travel and trade, the city gets to import a whole bunch of other troubles elsewhere. Especially of the cosmic horror kind. Sure, they put up plenty of safeguards and measures to stop the occasional cursed artifact, faulty Arcanotech, or strange "pets" people bring from the colonies. That only serves as a stopgap at best though, while far too many of the bad stuff leaks into the city proper and causes a lot of chaos, murder and property damage.

Reports of strange monster attacks and cult activity only increase with each passing year, until the point that it becomes a persistent shadow over the poor slums of the Metroplex. Some conspiracy theorists even believe that these incidents are building to a more coordinated assault by the Green Fury or whatever other evil cult you can name. Smaller security firms and wannabe exterminators even take advantage of this cosmic chaos and earn a killing taking tributes from neighborhoods in exchange for protection. They find themselves swamped with work opportunities.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TurninTrix posted:

Gonna do some Hakurei stuff cause, you know. (Do one of us need to write them down as a Faction?)

IANE (I am not Ettin) but I'm assuming that unless it would be silly and/or weird otherwise that all the cataloged major corporations have branches in the different games' respective locations, so we can assume they exist without needing a written up Faction. But if you want Hakurei to be a major player of note in this game, a group that comes up semi-regularly and may either have a hand in the stuff that happens or be a group that frequently gets involved in things, then you could go ahead and do the Hakurei South Florida branch as a Faction which would be a cue to the GM "Hey, I'd like these guys to be a major player and not just a background thing" and then when Ettin is thinking to himself from behind his fortress of Retrocausality dollars "Hmm, who can I bring in to assist/hinder/create hilarious troubles?" Hakurei will be on his priority list.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah, it's more like I don't really want to go through of effort of writing them down when they're already established. :v: I figure a few locations and faces is enough.

Ok! vvvv

Mitama fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 14, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If you want a Hakurei faction I'll do it in the morning!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Still waiting on some OOI people, by the way.

Faction: Hakurei Industries

Hakurei Industries is a small arcanotechnology corp specialising in magical defense, specifically youkai monster extermination. They are always researching new ways to shoo occult creatures back where they came from, at least when they aren't broke and trying to wring "donations" out of the NEG, other corps, the Yakuza or anyone else who will give them money. Somehow they always pull through and never actually go bankrupt. They have contracts with the Japan Defense Force and Yakumo Corp and support the recent spread of magical girls into other countries. Their US base is in Miami.

Aspects: Youkai Busters; Can You Float Us Some Cash?
Goals: IA IA get dolla, shoot youkai

Ettin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 15, 2013

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Here's one of my guest-starring aspects:

OVA: Guest-starring in The Negotiator: Professional Synergy

Working in the field means your daily job is a fair bit less certain that some desk job in one of the headquarters. Sooner or later you just stop voicing your concerns about being drafted in to help with operations that are only tenuously connected to your expertise. Well, this time the situation was that a group of mentally-unstable individuals with arcane connections stormed a theatre and took everyone inside hostage. The guy in charge of the operation to deal with this drafted Maynard on short notice to help get inside these cultists' heads while they were holed up in the building and ready to start killing at practically any moment. That's not really his job, but the situation was urgent and the operation leader just had to make do. Hell, the negotiator was a counsellor. It's rarely a good sign when a crucial member of your team doesn't have professional training in their role.

That said, it actually does help to have people on hand during negotiations who know a little about the psychological structure of your average cult – things like who to put pressure on, who to ignore, who to compliment and how. She did take well to the role and do a lot better than everyone expected. She didn't take well to his suggestion to the commander that now was the perfect time to send in the strike team.

Invoke to: apply his professional knowledge to unfamiliar territory; back up Kimber in dealings with occultists
Compel to: get overloaded with work; have... professional differences with Kimber

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For the Dubai game it looks like Themes got broken up into a couple different major areas, the city proper and an arcology. So with that in mind:

Cuba

While the South Florida Metroplex continues to grow upward and outward like some out-of-control neon shoggoth, a mere hour away across the ocean by speedboat (half that by ekranoplan or VTOL) Cuba seems like a comparative breath of fresh air. Though it's still far more developed than its late 20th/early 21st century self, its growth has been more slow-paced and measured (partly due to bureaucracy, partly due to politics, partly due to being a small country in the first place), and even today a sense of timelessness pervades it as modern buildings stand next to carefully preserved structures built in the 16th century.

quote:

Theme: Eye of the Storm

Cults and gang violence in South Florida, political instability and unrest in the Caribbean, the Green Fury throwing down with the NEG...Cuba is a country that has a lot of experience weathering turbulent times, and they've turned that experience towards largely staying the gently caress out of all the craziness that's surrounding them (while still being happy to take in plenty of trade and tourism, of course). This isn't to say that Cuba is some peaceful utopia completely free of monsters and violence, but comparatively it's a pretty calm place. The thing about being in the eye of the storm, though, is there's still a storm out there, and sooner or later it's probably going to start raining on you.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 15, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Faction: The Ball Families

A tenuous alliance of four organized crime "families": the Italian, Russian, Cuban Mafias and the new Irish Mob. None of the mob bosses are friends even at the best of times, but with Miami and the whole world changing around them they realize they can do much more working together than apart. The Families are based in the Ball arcology as the name suggests, though each of them also runs the usual gambling, smuggling and racketeering operations in various neighbors of the Metroplex. Like their Sicilian counterparts, the Families also dips in deep with the Arcane Underground and dabble in the occult. Not everyone in the Ball is cool with that, though.

Aspects: Magical Mobsters, Four Squabbling Families
Goals: Rule the Ball and rest of Miami, each preferring their own Family on top

Face: Donna Lucretia Moretti

Self-proclaimed Queen of the Ball, Lucretia took over the Moretti crime family a few years ago after she threw out the previous don in a brutal takeover. Like, literally threw him out from the highest point of the Ball, after she magically cursed him not to die until he fell all five-hundred-or-so floors down. She petrified his corpse right where it fell as a warning to all and no one dared to challenge her rule since. From her new ivory office above the corporate floors, Lucretia runs her Family with a whip in hand, aggressively expanding their operations while plotting to get the Russians, the Irish and the Cubans Families together... under her. Only a united Family, she reasons to her confidants, can truly stand up against the competing syndicates around them.

Lucretia is a powerful occultist, particularly in runes and curses. She fights up close, but enhances her body in arcane rituals to become harder than steel and as strong as any mythos creature. Rumors tell that she also places a geas on each of her made men to command absolute loyalty. If that's true, how soon will that extend to the rest of the Families?

Aspects: Queen of the Ball; Crossing the Mafia is Suffering
Goals: Get the other three families to play to her tune, crush the Zubov Cartel

Mitama fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 15, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Faction: Zubov Cartel

In Miami crime is a given and dozens of gangs and criminal organizations fight with each other over a bigger slice of the pie. The Ball Families rule the arcology, but the current king of the hill in the Metroplex is the Zubov Cartel. They're about what you'd expect from a criminal cartel...they deal in drugs, guns, laundered money, prostitution, protection rackets, cybercrime, all the usual stuff. Their clashes with MetroSec, when they happen, are bloody affairs although the security firm never seems to put a serious dent in their operations which leads some to surmise that somebody in MetroSec may be in the Cartel's pocket (probably, but who exactly it could be is up in the air). Their skirmishes with the Ball Families when they range outside of the arcology are even moreso.

Despite being a top-tier criminal organization, the Cartel employs a surprising lack of magic in their operations, with nary a dubious eldritch tome or horrific abomination against god and man to be seen. Most of the Cartel's heavy hitters are former Russian military with cyber- or biotech augmentations, and they also employ hackers to good effect.

Aspects: A Finger In Every Pie, Russian Efficiency, Mundane Methods
Goals: Make lots of money, eliminate the competition

Anton Zubov

The head of the Zubov cartel affects the whole old-school Miami gangster thing, white suit and all, despite being from Russia. The thing that sets Zubov and the Zubov cartel apart from other major criminal organizations though is this; Zubov hates magic. He hates magicians, he hates cultists, he hates weird squamous monsters, and he employs none of them in his outfit. He likes to refer to himself as a "true patriot of mother earth" and wants nothing to do with people who think summoning Cthulhu is a great idea (which also means that he's kind of a racist rear end in a top hat towards Akathar too, and presumably Migou if he ever met any). The most he'll have to do with magic is paying a substantial sum of money to Hakurei to provide him with top-notch wards and magical security. Hakurei, for their part, try not to think too hard about where the money comes from. Of course, this doesn't mean he won't make use of magical freelancers if the need arises, he just doesn't particularly care whether they live or die in the process.

Aspects: Old-School Gangster, Probably a Psychopath, loving Hates Magic
Goals: Make lots of money, take over South Florida's underworld, crush the Ball Families

edit; okay and I have to stop now because I'm risking posting TOO MUCH STUFF and not giving anybody else a turn, sorry. Also, all of my stuff is just suggestions, if anybody else has ideas for a Soul Network or a criminal group they like better go ahead and post it and we can decide on what to include when Ettin yells at us to stop posting things.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 15, 2013

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Guest Starring in "Your Perp is My Informant"

The Ashcroft Foundation prides itself on its service to humanity through advancing the knowledge of the arcane. The trouble with that is the fact that sometimes the humans in question don't quite take so well to said knowledge. It's an occupational hazard really. But every once in a while you get someone that takes to the arcane so completely that it consumes them. Such was the case with Dr. André Almeida, a rather dramatic member of R&D who had left with a truck full of sensitive material. Of course, he was kind enough to bombard the office with a Yellow Sign and an audio loop of a certain madness causing play. Naturally, this meant that at some point Aidan was deployed to retrieve Dr. Almeida and the stolen documents, if not eliminate him and any trail he's left.

Turns out Dr. Almeida was pretty good at running. Aidan had chased him half-way around the world, each time finding that Dr. Almeida had just slipped out before he could get there. Aidan had to settle with cleaning up the resulting mess and following what few leads he had, grumbling and trying to ease the pain with alcohol. Finally, after busting down more doors than was probably necessary, Aidan found himself in Italy. He managed to pressure an Arcane Underground fence about a guy named Paul Trevisan. Apparently this guy was not only in close contact with the person assumed to be Dr. Almeida, but Paul was now going with a group of loosely-affiliated cultists to buy a genuine, unabridged, several-hundred year old printing of the King in Yellow script.

Aidan was now looking at an abandoned warehouse surrounded by OOI vehicles. He would have broken out the flask if he hadn't emptied it earlier today. This place was the site of where the deal was going to go down. Apparently the OOI realized this too.

Aidan lets out a disgusted groan. "Fantastic. Exactly the poo poo I need today."
"What is it, Frost?" A stern woman's voice says over the comm-link.
"Oh hey Boss, guess what? The lead's about to get picked up by the feds."
"What?! Dammit! Just our luck. The last thing we need is to tangle with inter-agency red tape."
"You don't say." Aidan says sarcastically, rolling his eyes.
"...I'm sorry, who has the button here?"
"You do." Aidan quickly replies.
"Good, just making sure you remember."

Aidan sighs a bit. "Anyways, what's the game plan now? I'm sure as hell not gonna let this guy get away easily, but I doubt the OOI's gonna want me sticking my hand into the pie here."

The Boss groans a bit, probably sinking into a chair and placing her head in her hands. "Well, the cleanest way we can do this is just go up to who's in charge of the scene and let them know what's going on. It won't be quick, but it seems like the only way-"

"Screw THAT!" Aidan barks. "I'm not waiting around for some wannabe cop with a stick up his rear end to let me do my god drat job! Do you have ANY idea how many time's I've had to-" At that, Aidan noticed the extraction team filing out of the warehouse, a couple of handcuffed suspects in tow. At that moment, Aidan decided to do something really stupid. "...hold on, I've got this. Be back in a second."

"Wait what? Frost what are you doing? Frost, answer me! Did he just turn off his comm-link? Dammit. I hate that bastard."
----
"I know that Almeida's got some weird shapeshifting poo poo going on! WHAT DOES ALMEIDA LOOK LIKE?!" Aidan shouted at Paul.

Paul choked a bit in response, suspended in the air as his body is warped and twisted through unnatural spaces. "I don't know man! I only saw him with a mask, I swear!"

At that moment, the doors get blasted open and the OOI pours in. Shouts of fright and commands fill the air as guns get pointed in Aidan's direction. At about that time, a man in need of a shave comes along, gun in hand and clearly in a bad mood. "Alright, put the suspect down and surrender peacefully."

Aidan groans and shakes his head. "Look here man, I don't have time to mess with you people, alright? I'm on the clock here, got important crap to take care of."

At that, the order was given to fire. However, the bullets never hit their intended target, instead ricocheting against invisible walls or sometimes just falling to the floor as if all their momentum just evaporated. Needless to say, this caused the team to stop for a moment in confusion. Aidan's only reaction was to become more frustrated than he was before. "Okay, you want this rear end in a top hat? Fine, take him. I've got what I need anyways." With a gesture, Paul snaps back into normal space and falls to the floor. With that, Aidan starts walking for the door, hands in pockets.

The guy in need of a shave tries to hold up his hand to stop Aidan from leaving. "Who do you think you are? What gives you the right to intervene in an OOI investigation?"

Aidan glares at the man. "I can ask you the same question, pal. If you want to chat, talk to my bosses at Ashcroft. I've got places to be, now back off." With that, he shoves his way out of the door and walks off, flicking his comm-link back on. "Yo Boss, I know where Almeida is."

Aspect: Say "Hastur" AGAIN!
Invoke when: Cracking down on someone for information, busting into where he doesn't belong, generally being scary
Compel when: Tempted to just say "screw it" and smash his way through, deal with inter-agency politics and drama (likely caused by him)

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 16, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Since conservation of characters is always good and she's the Mafioso Godoka to Anna's hardboiled Homu, I'm claiming Pinkie from Black Cat Strut is Moretti.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Since conservation of characters is always good and she's the Mafioso Godoka to Anna's hardboiled Homu, I'm claiming Pinkie from Black Cat Strut is Moretti.

I wanted to solidify that part of Maria's backstory where the Mafia are apparently into some Arcane poo poo, so everyone wins!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

MadRhetoric posted:

I like it. That means Shiro and Storms were disposable outsiders hired for this for some reason. It also means I'm glad my PC didn't actually attempt to hit on her.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I like that idea (Pinkie = Moretti) a lot.

Miami Location: "Sunsetter Dojo" posted:

Aspects: "Neutral Ground", "Punch, Kick, All In the Mind"

FACE: Domo Arigato-Sensei "You'll thank me eventually. Heh."

The Sunsetter Dojo is a retro throwback to Japanese culture on the 11th floor of the Ball run by an old man who loves Miami as much as he ever loved Japan. He's been there for decades, doing what he can to keep the place moderately clean and the kids (and adults) who wander in on the straight and narrow. Every kind of martial art is present, including those of more Western decent like fencing and boxing. In fact he's been there so long that it's starting to become apparant that he might not be exactly normal if you could have ever called him that to begin with.

This long-retired Shinigami won't go out and fight but he'll happily help all of you young whippersnappers with information and contacts, for a price. What? He's running a business not a charity!

Aspects: "I might be retired but I can still kick your rear end", "Victory is Measured in Sweat", "Punch This Until I Get Back", "Wisdom Isn't Free, Grasshopper"

Goals: Dispensing 'ancient wisdom' to anyone who will listen (and selling the book at $29.95!), keeping kids off the street and out of the gangs, ogling all the beautiful ladies.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 15, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright!

Everyone: By the way, apologies for the slight clusterfuck going on with two games starting up at once. Good news! It'll end soon!

Trigger Warning: Anime: Not much to report except that Roger and Madeleine don't have completed art still, which is why I am falling back on the handy "they are at school for a few hours" schtick. Don't worry though, soon you will get to meet my original characters do not steal.

Miami (TurninTrix, MadRhetoric, mistaya, ronwayne, Destrado, Kai Tave): I am posting Transeldritch tomorrow, or later today in Americaland. I'll leave city creation open for a few days after that, just a heads-up if you wanted to throw anything in before it starts. There are some people who haven't had a chance yet and we could definitely use more Locations. I can add something if you want though. To help make things less confusing, if you post anything after this post please write that it's for Miami.

O.O.I. (K Prime, UnCO3, Charlie72, TransientPeople, Stormgale, AlanWhats): I'm still waiting on some of your phases, post them when you can, etc. (If you're waiting on someone in particular maybe filter their posts only to make sure they haven't posted already, things are crowded in here.) While you do that though, it's time for Shanghai!

City creation will proceed as normal (again, Dubai's post has some deets, but like the other games, you will get a special thing. You'll know it when you see it. (Because it has a :frogsiren:.) There'll be some extra material this time so keep your word counts down!

So, let's start! I've posted some ideas to get us started, as usual.

SHANGHAI

This game is set in the Municipality of Shanghai. (again, if there's anywhere nearby you want to Location up, knock yourself out.) Despite emigration to Mars and big losses fighting the Xanthic Storm cult back in the day, it's still one of the biggest cities in the world. And a big city needs a lot of OOI teams to keep it a safe city!

Themes and Threats

quote:

Hell is Other People (Threat)

There's nothing inherently wrong with Shanghai. It's had some bad times but it's recovering, it's not crowded, and it's actually not a bad place to live. It's just the people are still dicks. That's how people roll.

This is the noir-est city of the three games is what I'm saying.

Crown of the Orient, Hundreds of Kings (Theme)

The Chinese government never totally recovered after the Xanthic Storm attacked in the 60s. Sure, Shanghai is nominally in control of the Chinese government, and they have enough information control to shout that really loud, but your average citizen is more worried about the 14K Triad, or the Xian Conglomerate, or paying up to the Wukong Company, and frankly as long as the city keeps running the government doesn't care. In other cities power ends up falling into the hands of a select few, in Shanghai it's something everyone has a palmful of.

Factions

Gimme some! :toot:

Locations

quote:

Deng Xiaoping Memorial Arcology
Aspect: A Maze of Twisty Passages, All Alike

Arcologies are built to sustain a high-density population with a minimum of environmental impact. Some countries like to expand on that a little, pretty them up a bit, turn them into amazing landmarks and tourist attractions that draw in extra money to the city.

Shanghai doesn't give a gently caress. The Deng Xiaoping Memorial Arcology is a perfectly-engineered mass of near-identical apartments, commercial spaces and designated green areas built to house a lot of people in "hey, can't complain" conditions and nothing else. Housing's free, so the DXMA mostly houses the lower class and gives them a leg-up. It's a decent idea, and to their credit the government has done a great job keeping it in good shape, but triads control big chunks of the inside and it is drat hard to navigate without AR tagging.

Faces

Gimme some! :toot:

:frogsiren: THE CASE :frogsiren:

You guys are a special OOI team assembled to tackle some unique problems in the city. And great news: You get to help decide what they are! Talk these out amongst yourselves:

Your Base: The OOI will set you up with a base of operations, so decide how it works. You're not exactly getting a personal fortress right off the bat but they'll give you a hidden base, a budget, a cover corp or something if you want it, any facilities you need to do your thing, a budget, etc.

Problems: What you start off investigating! It can be multiple things, if you have a few good ideas - they will probably be related, then. It can be a crime thing (a triad, a serial killer, whatever), part of the Soul Network (e.g. Eldritch Society), some straight-up cult stuff, whatever. If it's a Faction, you can just post a Faction and decide it's a Problem. (They can be threats either way, Problem just means it's something you've been tasked to deal with directly.) Same deal if it's a Face. It can also just be a Theme with no single representative (yet), like the Arcane Underground's illegal tome trade or corporate corruption or something.

Leads: Faces and Factions can also be Leads. Leads can help you solve problems! Law enforcement, informants, defectors, witnesses, people who just know a lot, etc. These are optional but you'll probably want a couple.

Not everyone has to be a Problem or a Lead so don't feel pressured - I still need the regular city creation stuff. (Remember you don't actually have to assign Factions/Faces to Problems if you don't want too.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Miami (TurninTrix, MadRhetoric, mistaya, ronwayne, Destrado, Kai Tave): I am posting Transeldritch tomorrow, or later today in Americaland. I'll leave city creation open for a few days after that, just a heads-up if you wanted to throw anything in before it starts. There are some people who haven't had a chance yet and we could definitely use more Locations. I can add something if you want though. To help make things less confusing, if you post anything after this post please write that it's for Miami.

I still have more ideas for stuff but I'm trying not to run roughshod over everyone else. Now if ya'll don't mind then gently caress it, I'll post poo poo all day long, but I especially want to leave some room for Destrado and MadRhetoric.

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010
Guest Starring In: "Your Perp is My Informant"

"So, I Have been pretty much assigned to Agent Song as a... Partner? Assistant? Consultant? We work together a lot. I think it's so both of us can keep tabs on each other for OOI or something. Anyway, him and I were doing an investigation in Verona (Well, more like he was doing an investigation and I was doing damage control for all the things he did in said investigation). We eventually had to do a raid on an industrial compound. I was commanded to stay outside the buildings the strike team were entering and radio in if someone tried to flee and/or provide back up if necessary. Midway through the operation I saw a guy coming out the back of the factory that was currently being raided. I moved to approach him (His demeanor did not suggest that he was hostile and I swear I knew him from somewhere before) but before I caught with him, I smelt the oh to familiar smell of burning paper. Apparently a couple of perps had retreated into a back office and began to torch a bunch of incriminating documents before we could get to them and the trash they we're using got knocked over. Luckily, thanks to that fire prevention book that Agent Song gave me (I think that was his idea of a joke), I manage to stop the fire before the entire place got lit. Unfortunately, I didn't improve my, um, 'reputation'."

"Seriously, I've been 15 raids over the last year and ALL of them ended in fire. People around the office have started calling me 'Agent Ember'. And this is a relatively recent development. Did like, a wizard do something to me or something? *sigh* At least I know how to deal with it now "

Omake: Cthugha Blues

Invoke: SHSL Fire safety expert, knows where emergency doors are, Can take the heat
Compel: "Oh no, its happening again", has an undesirable reputation among her fellow OOI agents, might be literally cursed (or just very unlucky)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I had an idea for writing out Central America as a green hell sort of thing, ancient temples dedicated to squiggly things, places to fight an all out brush war, etc. but I think I'll hold off until we're one or two chapters in and we've burned down enough stuff to start casting for new targ-er, settings.

• Locked thread