Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Alright, posting what I've got down so far, sorry it took so long. Ideally I think I can wrap this character up today. Feel free to tell me if it's a little too ridiculous.

Aidan Frost, AKA Tohthus-Amum of the Million Favored Ones, the Leering Teeth Behind the Veil

High Concept: Earthbound Eldritch Ashcroft "Consultant"

The corporatese term for Aidan's job is "High-Priority Personal Scene Consultant". What that means is that Aidan's job is to go where he's told, pick at anything that looks weird, and burn it all to the ground if what he found is too dangerous. Not quite a glamorous job, but then again Aidan isn't a glamorous person. Partially because he isn't even a person at all, at least not conventionally speaking. Why else do you think his profile with the Ashcroft Foundation is kept on a need to know basis? Don't want to panic fellow employees with news of an eldritch creature among them now would we?

Invoke when: Identifying and knowing how to handle artifacts and alien tech, dealing with insanity causing situations as though they were normal, benefiting from a high level of clearance
Compel when: Smells like a monster, causing major collateral damage "just to be safe", being forced to contain a situation, owned by the Ashcroft Foundation

Trouble: Bad Blood, Worse Temper

However, if there is one thing that can be said with anyone who has been with Aidan long, it's that he's a jerk. A loud, violent, chain-smoking jerk. This is not a new personality trait for him at all. Until his "service" with Ashcroft started, Aidan was wandering around the world, causing trouble wherever he went. With a short temper and with a small gang of cultists and monsters attached to him, it was pretty easy to get into trouble. Some of the people he pissed off still want to get even with him, not the least among them being the Children of Chaos.

Invoke when: Having street cred as a hard-rear end, having a reputation of being unbalanced, calling in shady contacts, being a loud punk
Compel when: Distrusted, reacting angrily to an insult or sleight, people (or creatures) are out for his head, old followers appear

Backstory: Two Spirits, One Body, Bad Times

Not long ago, Aidan Frost was a being named Tohthus-Amum. It was a being of sorrow who wandered the Dreamlands for hundreds of years, touching upon the mortal realms as they overlapped. As one of the Million Favored Ones of Nyarlathotep, he had caught the eyes of a particularly brave group of humans from the Children of Chaos. They figured that, though he was considered among the lowest of the Million Favored Ones, if Tohthus-Amum were bound they would still be able to harness great power. They madly thought that they could make their own pet demigod. So, they found a volunteer, a poor para-psychic college student whose life became too filled with despair, and they pulled Tohthus-Amum from the Dreamlands and into the very soul of the young man.

Tohthus-Amum was superimposed onto the young man, their spirits clashing and twisting into a knot. After what seemed like an eternity, the two souls became as one, the result splintered and fractured. As the being's new form began to rise, the cultists performing the ritual started to celebrate. The cultists recited one last phrase, attempting to chain the new being to their command. They couldn't even finish before the new being punched the leader in the face. After he escaped, the being saw a name in his mind. The name was Aidan Frost.

Invoke when: Drawing from the memories of his unnaturally long life, revealing his eldritch nature
Compel when: His body freaks out or shuts down, plagued by fractured memories, encountering parts of his old lives

Yomikiri: You've Got a Heart of Gold, Mr. Grinch

A lot of very important people wanted Aidan's head for one reason or another. Naturally the O.O.I. was one of those groups of people. One day they finally caught him, swarming the derelict mansion he was staying in. However, the strange thing about it was that they didn't shoot to kill Aidan. Instead, he was bound and knocked out, his mind trapped in a complete void.

When he woke up, he was on an operating table. There was a pain in his chest, and a middle-aged woman sitting in a chair with a file in her hand. She told him what had happened to him when he was out. Aidan was now a part of the Ashcroft Foundation, and his heart was replaced with a gold-plated implant, complete with a kill switch. If Aidan ever stepped out of line, with a push of a button the heart will stop and his spirit will be obliterated. Even worse, he's noticed that his nature is being changed against his will. Was there a trend of him acting...nice? No it couldn't be, must be some psychosomatic reaction to his heart being gold-plated. Who does that anyway?

[Jingle for The ExoCute Binding Amulet: Model Doki Doki Shining Heart. "Cure Cthulhu with the Power of Heart! ~<3"]

Invoke when: Bringing his handler in on something, being held as a valuable asset
Compel when: Being chained to a handler, acting under threat of absolute death, acting oddly nice(r)

Volume Three: "You're Invited to a Mythos Family Reunion"

There were rumors going on about a family living in a mansion in Berlin. There were some rumors about the von Diederichs regarding some suspicious activity. Odd noises, stranger company, balls of light, the usual stuff. When a kidnapping around the same area happened on the eve of the winter solstice, the O.O.I. made a stop at the mansion. Aidan and his handler were deployed there at the time, and Ashcroft displayed interest in the sudden O.O.I. presence. So, Aidan was brought along for the ride.

It seemed fine at first, if a bit creepy. Old mansions in relatively secluded places can be that way sometimes. The thing is, like so many bad pieces of horror fiction, it turned out it wasn't just creepy. There was indeed bad things going down. Worse, it was a summoning ritual. Even worse, it turned out the subjects being summoned were all envoys of Nyarlathotep and his allies, gathered for a meeting of mutual "brotherhood". In essence, it was a reunion party, and Tohthus-Amum was invited. It was about then that [CLASSIFIED UNTIL GUEST ASSIGNMENT]

Aidan hasn't stopped drinking since.

Invoke when: Getting along (relatively) peacefully with mythos beings, discovering dirty and eldritch old secrets
Compel when: Needing a drink RIGHT NOW, being associated with the Million Favored Ones, being mocked as an upstart, suffering the most awkward and insanity causing "family" dinner ever

OVA: Say "Hastur" AGAIN!

Invoke when: Cracking down on someone for information, busting into where he doesn't belong, generally being scary
Compel when: Tempted to just say "screw it" and smash his way through, deal with inter-agency politics and drama (likely caused by him)

Skills:
+5: Millionth Favored One
+4: Physique, Lore
+3: Provoke, Investigation
+2: Athletics, Fists, Deceit
+1: Contacts, Guns, Stealth, Empathy, Burglary

Passion Skill: Millionth Favored One counts as Casting, counts as Will for calculating Mental Stress boxes, complements any skills that would apply to being a Mythos creature such as Lore.

Stress Boxes:
Physical: ()()()()
Mental: ()()()() +1 Mild Consequence
Social: ()()
Consequences: Mild() Medium() Serious()

Powers:
Channeling [-2] (Element: Geometry)
Thaumaturgy [-3] (Specialization: Entropomancy)
The Catch: Pure Enchanted Gold [+2] (Rare +1, Access to Specific Material +1)
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
The Sight [-1]

Refresh: 2

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Oh man, Guest Stars. So many different options, so many people's lives I can complicate. :getin:

Anyways, some thoughts on possible Guest Stars. I'm pretty sure I want to Guest Star in Maynard Song's Volume Three, just have him and his crew pop in to find Aidan going "WHAT DOES HASTUR LOOK LIKE" on some poor soul. At least that's the idea I have at the moment. I don't quite have any other ideas for guest starring in other's volumes though, other than "show up, blow poo poo up, get out."

And that's about where my thoughts end. I am not good at guest starring.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Guest Starring in "Your Perp is My Informant"

The Ashcroft Foundation prides itself on its service to humanity through advancing the knowledge of the arcane. The trouble with that is the fact that sometimes the humans in question don't quite take so well to said knowledge. It's an occupational hazard really. But every once in a while you get someone that takes to the arcane so completely that it consumes them. Such was the case with Dr. André Almeida, a rather dramatic member of R&D who had left with a truck full of sensitive material. Of course, he was kind enough to bombard the office with a Yellow Sign and an audio loop of a certain madness causing play. Naturally, this meant that at some point Aidan was deployed to retrieve Dr. Almeida and the stolen documents, if not eliminate him and any trail he's left.

Turns out Dr. Almeida was pretty good at running. Aidan had chased him half-way around the world, each time finding that Dr. Almeida had just slipped out before he could get there. Aidan had to settle with cleaning up the resulting mess and following what few leads he had, grumbling and trying to ease the pain with alcohol. Finally, after busting down more doors than was probably necessary, Aidan found himself in Italy. He managed to pressure an Arcane Underground fence about a guy named Paul Trevisan. Apparently this guy was not only in close contact with the person assumed to be Dr. Almeida, but Paul was now going with a group of loosely-affiliated cultists to buy a genuine, unabridged, several-hundred year old printing of the King in Yellow script.

Aidan was now looking at an abandoned warehouse surrounded by OOI vehicles. He would have broken out the flask if he hadn't emptied it earlier today. This place was the site of where the deal was going to go down. Apparently the OOI realized this too.

Aidan lets out a disgusted groan. "Fantastic. Exactly the poo poo I need today."
"What is it, Frost?" A stern woman's voice says over the comm-link.
"Oh hey Boss, guess what? The lead's about to get picked up by the feds."
"What?! Dammit! Just our luck. The last thing we need is to tangle with inter-agency red tape."
"You don't say." Aidan says sarcastically, rolling his eyes.
"...I'm sorry, who has the button here?"
"You do." Aidan quickly replies.
"Good, just making sure you remember."

Aidan sighs a bit. "Anyways, what's the game plan now? I'm sure as hell not gonna let this guy get away easily, but I doubt the OOI's gonna want me sticking my hand into the pie here."

The Boss groans a bit, probably sinking into a chair and placing her head in her hands. "Well, the cleanest way we can do this is just go up to who's in charge of the scene and let them know what's going on. It won't be quick, but it seems like the only way-"

"Screw THAT!" Aidan barks. "I'm not waiting around for some wannabe cop with a stick up his rear end to let me do my god drat job! Do you have ANY idea how many time's I've had to-" At that, Aidan noticed the extraction team filing out of the warehouse, a couple of handcuffed suspects in tow. At that moment, Aidan decided to do something really stupid. "...hold on, I've got this. Be back in a second."

"Wait what? Frost what are you doing? Frost, answer me! Did he just turn off his comm-link? Dammit. I hate that bastard."
----
"I know that Almeida's got some weird shapeshifting poo poo going on! WHAT DOES ALMEIDA LOOK LIKE?!" Aidan shouted at Paul.

Paul choked a bit in response, suspended in the air as his body is warped and twisted through unnatural spaces. "I don't know man! I only saw him with a mask, I swear!"

At that moment, the doors get blasted open and the OOI pours in. Shouts of fright and commands fill the air as guns get pointed in Aidan's direction. At about that time, a man in need of a shave comes along, gun in hand and clearly in a bad mood. "Alright, put the suspect down and surrender peacefully."

Aidan groans and shakes his head. "Look here man, I don't have time to mess with you people, alright? I'm on the clock here, got important crap to take care of."

At that, the order was given to fire. However, the bullets never hit their intended target, instead ricocheting against invisible walls or sometimes just falling to the floor as if all their momentum just evaporated. Needless to say, this caused the team to stop for a moment in confusion. Aidan's only reaction was to become more frustrated than he was before. "Okay, you want this rear end in a top hat? Fine, take him. I've got what I need anyways." With a gesture, Paul snaps back into normal space and falls to the floor. With that, Aidan starts walking for the door, hands in pockets.

The guy in need of a shave tries to hold up his hand to stop Aidan from leaving. "Who do you think you are? What gives you the right to intervene in an OOI investigation?"

Aidan glares at the man. "I can ask you the same question, pal. If you want to chat, talk to my bosses at Ashcroft. I've got places to be, now back off." With that, he shoves his way out of the door and walks off, flicking his comm-link back on. "Yo Boss, I know where Almeida is."

Aspect: Say "Hastur" AGAIN!
Invoke when: Cracking down on someone for information, busting into where he doesn't belong, generally being scary
Compel when: Tempted to just say "screw it" and smash his way through, deal with inter-agency politics and drama (likely caused by him)

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 16, 2013

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Alright, I'll be sure to get to work on my other aspect phase shortly. In the meantime, allow me to kick off the Shanghai city building with something a little noir.

Threat: I Hate It When It Rains

Shanghai has always been choked by pollution of one form or another, and the Xanthic Storm sure as hell didn't change that fact. Some say the gods look down on the earth and try to punish the mortals for their carelessness and abuse of nature. Those days are when the Rains come. When the Rains show up, the local alarms go off and people keep inside until it passes. Doesn't keep everyone in, of course. After all, crime never sleeps. But neither do the gods, and they have a lot of carelessness to punish.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

I have to say, this city creation is really fun so far. As proof let me dump a ton of stuff. Still more to come!

Faction: HeavenLeaf Inc.

Feel free to replace this crappy logo
Aspects: For A Greener Future, Feeding the People, Gotta Grow Faster
Goals: Clear the pollution of Shanghai, rebuild the ecosystem, get out from under the Green Fury Scandal, get into the big leagues

HeavenLeaf Inc. is one of those kind of obnoxious companies that prides itself on "all natural products" and "green energy" and "not being soul crushing parasites". The company specializes in food production, alternative energy and biological research. At the moment, HeavenLeaf Inc. is more of a movement backed by a small corporation than anything else. However, what they lack in size they make up for in determination and belief in their cause. This did end up coming back to bite them, though. A couple of years ago, the company was hit with a scandal that lead to a witch hunt for members of the Green Fury among their staff. Though they still haven't lived that incident down completely, HeavenLeaf and its associates still carry on in hopes of a brighter tomorrow. If they can gather enough assets to start some really big projects, that would be nice, but the important part is that they're helping the people right?

Face: Ai Tián, The Avocado Lady

Aspects: Grandma with a Green Thumb, Always Look on the Bright Side, Here's an Old Family Remedy
Goals: Help everyone be happy and healthy, replenish the natural life in Shanghai

Ai has always been a well respected lady among the community. Even when she was spending her time at a humble kiosk, she developed a reputation for having the highest quality fruits and vegetables in stock, and serving with a bright smile and a kind heart. She even took the time to volunteer for work at the few parks that managed to keep up and running. When HeavenLeaf Inc. was forming, it was a dream come true for Ai. Now she's become somewhat of a face for HeavenLeaf, spreading the good word of a greener future whenever she can. Of course she still sells fruits and vegetables, but now she sells them from a market, along with a couple of restaurants and and some rarer international condiments. Everything's all natural of course, just like how it's been for 40 years.

Faction: Pentex Electronics
Aspects: Shiny Plastic Everywhere, You Can't Prove Anything, Only We May Profit

Though many saw the tragedy of the aftermath of the Xanthic Storm, profit-seekers saw opportunity. Let it never be said that Pentex Electronics was not interested in profit. They pounced on the opportunity like a lion, sinking their claws into Shanghai as fast as they could sign the documents. Since then they've been the perfect picture of a production company, exploiting the natural resources and the people in equal measure. They've ruthlessly expanded like a cancer, peddling shiny new phones and electronics to hipsters and spoiled teenagers everywhere. Oh sure, people have tried to stop them, but thanks to bureaucratic red tape and exploitation of loopholes, no one has gotten Pentex to pay so much as a dime. Needless to say, everyone in the know tends to hate Pentex. But no one cares, so long as the latest gadget is on the horizon.

Face: Ling Bai

Aspects: "Criminal" Lawyer, I Never Lose, Suspiciously Snake-Like
Goals: Accept high profile cases, win no matter what it takes, keep to himself otherwise

Sometimes you're a large company with some legal trouble you need to take care of. Maybe someone's claiming you stole their patent, maybe it's due to your factories not exactly being up to code, or maybe that assassination attempt went south and you totally had nothing to do with it. Or maybe you're just a legitimate business man with absolutely no ties to the triads whatsoever. In those times, you want to win, and when you want to win you call Ling Bai.

Ling Bai is, for all intents and purposes, a mercenary. The only condition he has to work for you is that there's money in it, and lots of it. But you get what you pay for, and what you're paying for is a lawyer who has never lost a case. Ever. Of course Ling Bai doesn't exactly play by the rules, but neither does anyone else these days. Then again not everyone turns into a mob boss when a key witness is about to take the stand, but that's beside the point. Also don't pay attention to the rumors of him actually being a Serpent Man, those are ridiculous. Though he does tend to keep to himself when he isn't on a job.

Aspects: It's Quiet...Too Quiet, Please Donate for the Health of Shanghai, Whispers from an Unseen Dragon

A little over a hundred years ago, there was an urban legend regarding a certain pillar at the Chengdu Bei Lu and Yan'an Lu intersection. As a maze of overpasses and highways was being constructed, there was a patch of ground that would not move. No engineer could determine the reason for this, and so they brought a priest out to the site. After many lengthy prayers, the priest came back and declared that there was a dragon beneath the work site. The construction had apparently awoken the dragon, and in its anger it was stopping the pillar from being installed. So, the priest suggested that in order to appease the dragon, they offer it a noble gesture. So, they dedicated the pillar to the dragon, and so it was appeased and work continued as usual. The pillar itself was dubbed the Nine Dragon Pillar.

Then the Xanthic Storm arrived and wrecked Shanghai. Of course that doesn't mean the urban legends stop. After the clearing of the Xanthic Storm it was found that the Nine Dragon Pillar still stood despite the entire intersection collapsing around it. Rumors spread like wildfire about the pillar, almost all of them involving the dragon it was dedicated to. Eventually it was decided that the pillar would become a monument, a testament to a strong future. So, a shrine was built around the pillar, and the place was declared a holy site. Now there's a fair community surrounding the shrine, and people commute there to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and donate so that the dragon may bring good fortune. Of course, there are rumors that the dragon is awakening once more, and serenity could still mask dirty secrets.

While we're at it, why not throw in a Case for our band of investigators to solve?

Problem: Blood Rains in Shanghai
Face: The Cyclops Butcher

Aspects: The Hell Is That Freak?!, Cyberpunk Slasher, Public Enemy Number One
Goals: To find "Anna", to be a slasher film villain

All cities have their scumbags, that's just a fact of life. But sometimes a real psycho shows up, arresting the attention of the media and sending the public into a panic. This summer, the Cyclops Butcher is that psycho. This mysterious killer appears to be dressed in some form of military gear, with a helmet with only one large lens. The killer is inhumanly strong and fast, his weapon of choice being a simple carbon nanofiber katana. No one knows who or what the Cyclops Butcher is, or if they do they aren't talking. Can the mystery of the Cyclops Butcher be solved, or will the investigators be slaughtered at the edge of its blade?

One weird thing about this case is that literally everyone of note wants the Butcher dead. They don't want it dead just on a professional basis either. In one way or another this thing has gone out of its way to attack people closely related to key figures in Shanghai. Another thing of note is that the Butcher is unaffected by the Rains. In fact a majority of the murders attributed to him have happened when it was Raining. Perhaps strangest of all, the few survivors of the Butcher's attacks have spread rumors that it is searching for someone named "Anna".

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Ettin posted:

As before, Loop Skat3man and his popped collars courtesy of obfuscobble.

Every time I look at this picture I just keep seeing more and more popped collars.

obfuscobble how do you do this? How is it physically possible that you made a piece of art that has multiplying popped collars?

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

What is the view on lycanmojokko, or "were-Magical girls"?

Tumblr's over there, you weaboo. This is talk about real majokko, not some furry bullshit. :smug:

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Currently working on something. In the meantime have a teaser, and watch this space...EDIT: Nevermind, apparently this sucks.

Also SUGGESTION: FEAR AND LOATHING IN NEO VEGAS.

That is all.

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2014

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

So uh, I just got this pink slip that said something along the lines of "Your flesh will be terminated promptly. We appreciate your ritual sacrifice." I was wondering if someone could direct me to some sort of HR department because this doesn't sound like what I signed up to...

On a more serious note, I honestly am fine with either staying and reapping to the New Shanghai, or getting a sudden transfer. I'm pretty much comfortable with getting shuffled around to whatever group would be necessary or ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

I just want to throw down that I am in fact down with Aidan randomly slamming himself into any and all available Ntech threads that are still left standing and then awkwardly hanging around and making people wonder why he's in the backseat of the car just drinking with a five o'clock shadow and nose hair tentacles coming out of his face and an eye-jaw singing East Bound and Down.

In fact I heard something about a rental car and a poster in a glove box.

• Locked thread