Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

The Emerald Dream is a :frogsiren:x1 rates, No Donation,:frogsiren: Vanilla WoW server set to the 1.12.1 patch, the final patch of Vanilla before the Burning Crusade overhauls. On this server our community runs one of ED's premiere ~*~Alliance~*~ guilds "<lets get weird>" in hopes of reclaiming the lost joy many of us once shared on our late Vanilla servers on a more stable, and active platform.

Q: Wait, so this isn't the first Vanilla server? Who's to say Emerald Dream won't die too?
A: Emerald Dream is being run by the very well known, and established Feenix community. They have been around for several years and have proven they’re not going anywhere. ED itself has been active for over 2 years now.

Q: Well, why should I play here over <Other WoW Server>?
A: Over the past year Vanilla WoW servers went from being relatively rare to exceedingly common, nowadays they're all over the place and many people have been stung by low-effort, unprofessional, or short-lived projects. However, Emerald Dream is assuredly none of the former. I can guarantee from personal experience that there is no better place to enjoy 1.12.1 WoW at x1 Rates than ED.

Q: Okay I’m convinced, what steps do I take to begin hitting boars?
A: Registration is easy and the client is just a torrent away. After Downloading edit your realmlist.wtf file in your WoW directory to "set realmlist vanillafeenix.servegame.org". Once you’ve managed to log on just whisper some goony poo poo to anyone in the guild <lets get weird> (Aliiance Side) Alficers and ~BFFS <3~ have the power to invite, if none of them are online, try again later. We don't have lives and we'll be sure to make sure you don't have one either as soon as we can.

Register here. After Registration you should get a download link for the client. if you dont, use this.
Download Here

Q:

Greg Jackson posted:

I'm doing /who alficer and nobody is showing up.. what the hell OP

A: Those are guild ranks try searching with a /who lets get weird.

Q: Alliance Scum! I only play horde, Isn’t there some other Guild I can join?
A: There may or may not be active goons hordeside. If there are they certainly aren't as organized (or kawaii) as we are so just play with us anyways. Nutsack Friend puts it pretty well at some point in this thread.

McSpankWich posted:

This happened on the rebirth and was lovely every way you sliced it. I don't want to tell you to play alliance, but after living through having goon guilds on both sides, I wouldn't wish it on anyone again. Its not too late to start over on Alliance side, we don't bite. Please?

Q: I always wanted to be “that one ret paladin” Can I? Can I???
A: Please don't, I mean we wont stop you, but now that we're actually progressing through the tougher content we need people to pull their own weight. That doesn't mean you have to be 100% optimal and there's certainly room for casual scum raiding, but try not to cripple yourself or those around you any more than you must.

Q: Okay, I can't hit boars without it showing me the drop rate of boar flanks during a full moon. Where can I get my precious add-ons?
A: Luckily there are massive archives of 1.12.1 Addons floating around. You'll find some packs with enough googling, and curse hosts old versions of any specific addon you remember.

:siren::siren::siren:

mewse posted:

This questing mod is insanely good and should be in the OP probably
:siren::siren::siren:

Q: I’m not going to be able to run deadmines without breathing heavily into my microphone between explaining my intricate Van Cleef strategies. What Voice Chat do I need to download?
A: We're running a Ventrilo server out of the deep pockets of resident Officer/Ex-hunter/Master of Sploits Toober. The Info is found under the Guild Information tab In-Game.

Q: Hey! Arcanite is a thing again, I’m gonna go Alchemist and make some mad cash.
A: Sure, go for it. When it comes to professions its entirely up to you. Across a whole guild of people we’re bound to have our bases covered.

Q:I feel that I have been wrongfully muted in Guild chat and demand compensation immediately.
A: If somebody demotes you it's usually for a good reason or for a good joke. The latter will usually see you back to a speaking rank within a few minutes so take it in stride. If it's the former then just take a time out, think about you said and if it would get you probated if you posted it on the forums (odds are yes). If there's still an issue or you're unclear on why you were muted ask an officer and they'll help you.

Q:I have been inactive for month(s) and am no longer in guild. What gives?
A: To keep a more accurate measurement of active guild members players are purged after 3 weeks of inactivity. If you come back we're more than happy to re-invite you. (as long as we like u :wink:)

Q:Oh my god these quest rewards. They are the worst. Where are my hand-me-downs from my benevolent high level overlords.
A: This site here has the content of our guild bank alts. Xoober (rip in peace) has done a lot of work to make our site and bank super awesome so be sure to register and use all the neat functions hes provided.

FutuerBear posted:

Just going to bump our thread here with another advertisement for our guild forums. So if you haven't checked out the guild site, forums, or bank yet, hit them up sometime! You can even request items from the bank on your phone! Any of the above links will have the guild MOTD mirrored from in-game. So, if you wanna see if any cool raids/events are coming up without having to fire up WoW, just check the site.

Ragnaros and Onyxia down as of 7/15/2013 Congratulations everyone!

Nefarian down on 1/27/2014 yayyy

Tanners fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
:siren:LGW MOTD:siren:

Tanners fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 6, 2013

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Aw man the OP is finally up.

I've been playing on this server for some time now, and it's definetly well maintained. The scripting isn't quite up to Rebirth's standards, but the few things that are broken are completely ignorable. For perspective, only one quest out of all the ones I've used to get to level 21 were uncompleteable.

The real place this server shines is in the population. It's weird being on a server patched to 1.12 with tons of people running around. I am constantly forgetting I am not on a Blizzard server. I even got ganked the instant I ran into Redridge for the first time :argh:

Come join us!

P.S. Nice graphics on the OP! :heysexy:

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I am so excited about playing vanilla again as a druid that I did some cosplaying of my cat form

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde
In case anyone is interested, there is an updated version of the horde leveling guide for alliance here: http://code.google.com/p/vanillaguide/

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So I adminned a Private WOTLK server years ago, and as fun as it was, it was rife with bad code and non-working junk. How close to 100% does this one work?

meecrob
Jul 3, 2007
I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of shit before I ate another plate of meecrob.
I'm definitely going to spend a little time on this... now just the hard decision of what to live with for 60 slow levels. I was a Shaman, Warrior and Druid in vanilla. I'm leaning towards something with healing and utility, but not sure. It's hard for me to remember how gimped some specs were back then. I rocked the 3 piece Stormshroud set on my druid back in the day to make cat form viable, but never raided anything but 20-mans with it. The shaman was in mostly tier 1 and had the typical resto/elem spec. The warrior was played at the end and never had a chance to raid. How viable are warriors in a pure dps spot in early raiding?

mewse
May 2, 2006

TommorowComesToday posted:

So I adminned a Private WOTLK server years ago, and as fun as it was, it was rife with bad code and non-working junk. How close to 100% does this one work?

Feels like 99% of quests work and 100% of hunter abilities from my leveling, I'm 28 now

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.
Right, a few quests are buggy, but most of it feels quite vanilla. Paladin skills I used so far work (21), Deadmines-Instance works perfectly tho there is a weird bug with respawning when you die in the elite area before the dm-instance portal. Fishing, Herbalism and Skinning works. The auctionhouse creates weird empty mails at times, but they don't really interfere with anything. Unlike many others, this server has actual pathfinding for the KI, so you can properly pull ranged mobs around corners and stuff like that. I am so far quite happy with it overall.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

meecrob posted:

What class should I be?

For healing/utility paladins are probably a good choice, especially since it looks like you were horde in vanilla, it would be new as well! Druids are always good as well if you feel like leveling it again. The most important thing is that you play what you want, as having 60's that enjoy playing their class is way more important than having a certain class makeup in the guild.

As far as server 100%ness goes, it's not perfect, but like Neuntwhatever said, most major things do work very well. There are some weird hunter pet control bugs if you change aggressiveness mid-combat, and some aggro retaining problems with resurrecting your pet if you don't allow it to despawn first, but both can easily be worked around. I haven't heard too many complaints from the other classes in guild. I think the most noticeable broken quests are the chain that leads to the Seal of Wrynn, a ring you'll have from when you get it until probably late 30's early 40's. The other is the chain that leads up Jintha'alor and into ST, stating with Screecher Spirits in Tanaris/Feralas. The ZF stairs event also isn't working currently, which closes off three quests for Alliance (The final boss can be gotten to by jumping over the wall). Other than those though, I've had no trouble turning in anything, and from talking to the raiding 60's on the server, basically all the end-game dungeons/raids are working very well. There are two or three Alliance guilds that have MC/Ony on farm.

At the end of the day, the population makes up for all of these shortcomings and more. Having people running around in almost every zone, getting ganked beginning in STV and on up through all the contested territories, running into horde parties doing elite group quests and having epic pvp back-and-forths are all tons of fun. A well stocked AH is also really awesome, I've sold a ton of stuff on it, and you're able to buy most things you'd have a pain finding normally (Green Hills of Stranglethorn pages, Rethban/Bloodstore Ore, etc).

edit: Stairs event has been fixed!

\/ Just whisper someone, most people can invite at this point

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 10, 2013

thegrimace
Feb 24, 2011
Is there a specific method for getting a gvite or just whisper someone?

meecrob
Jul 3, 2007
I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of shit before I ate another plate of meecrob.
You're right, McSpankWich, I was horde in vanilla but have played paladins some since WoTLK. I decided on a dwarf rogue and if that isn't to my liking then a NE warrior (yay, dodge) or a warlock will be in my future. Also, I hope one of you jackwagons didn't steal my drat name.

ee: Named the rogue Stache, thanks for an invite.

meecrob fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 6, 2013

cinn
May 13, 2011
In as Cinn, Level 1 Dwarf Priest.

Don't know how long I'll last on here but we shall see! Playing with people may help. probably. maybe.

edit: totally here because of the banner ad btw. money well (poorly?) spent.

cinn fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 6, 2013

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde

cinn posted:

totally here because of the banner ad btw. money well (poorly?) spent.

Definitely a terrible waste of money, no doubt about it. However, it is cool that it worked!

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

The banner worked really well for Rebirth, mostly because no one reads MMO HMO if they don't have a game thread to follow. Banner adds are a great way to get publicity as long as they're attention grabbing. Hopefully it goes as well for this thread as well.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I assume this uses all of the same scripts as the other feenix Vanilla server? If so then pretty much everything works great (though some pve encounters are remade entirely to get them to actually work ie: razorgore) except some niche pvp stuff related to diminishing returns and weird ability interaction in some niche situations, for those wondering. Basically if you don't pvp it works perfectly. If you do pvp it still almost works perfectly but you might die every now and again to something loving up.

Unfortunately I burnt myself out on vanilla playing on the other feenix server last year or i'd be all over this. The only bad thing about it were the people running around with full high warlord gear because they paid $300 or whatever. Feenix is an incredibly dedicated and trustworthy admin and his servers are apparently immune to legal threats so this is about as safe a bet as you will find for a private server.

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.
No pay 2 win on this one. The scripts are not exactly the same as the other two as I understand it.

BiggerThanPete
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, I'm going in.
Oh Tanners....you don't let the dream die do you?

Ha! I was thinking I could start a shaman, but noooo. I suppose I should play a female NE Hunter then.

BiggerThanPete fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 6, 2013

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
e nm

ist fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2014

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009
Hows the server's population?

Blazolie
Mar 19, 2006
I joined the SA forums and all I got was this title text.
Right now there's 400 Alliance online and I would guess it's about the same for Horde, so 800-1000 online at primetime. Definitely a decent a population for a private server. You actually see people outside in the world!

BiggerThanPete posted:

Oh Tanners....you don't let the dream die do you?
Tanners: see my lifes downward spiral since July

meecrob
Jul 3, 2007
Well it didn't take but 8 levels before I got pissed enough to reroll.

I was playing with a high ping and had dinged. I went to buy my next 2 skills and were charged for them but never got them. I wound up hitting them more than once and got charged each time and didn't realize it until I see I am down to 19 copper. It was Eviscerate R2 and Evasion on the Kharanos rogue trainer. I tried to do Frostmane Hold quest and died twice but probably wouldn't have if I had those extra abilities. The biggest drag was having to run from Coldridge Valley, through the tunnel and back around to Frostmane.

tl,dr: Vanilla sperging.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
So much nostalgia...

Rolled a gnome rouge named Nokos

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess I needed to find out what a guy dreaming about a bag of poo poo was all about. You guys might see me in a couple weeks if I remember about this when I get back to my apartment.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ever since I can't afford my sub to WoW I've been looking for something to play online without success. Why not Vanilla WoW since I started in TBC? I think I'm going to roll a rogue and get my kicks being an rear end in a top hat to the opposing faction. Were rogues any good in vanilla pvp?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

DO IT! Up to 68 goons already. It's a blast now, I can't wait till we all hit 60 and grind those sweet, sweet dungeons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You are telling me that I can go back to being bad at being a level 60 Warlock and wiping Zul'Gurub runs, and do it for FREE! Shut up and take my enthusiasm!

JACK_ATTACK
Jul 26, 2005
In as Pemulis the dwarfadin! Not sure if I can handle 1x leveling and pre-TBC talents, but there are a bunch of people on and that's pretty awesome.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Might have to give into this afterall.

UNLEASH THE KRAKEN.

By that I mean a female dwarf of some kind. Or not, because I'm not blind.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde
Our potential guild bank site now has 1.12.1 tooltip information for items! I'm quite excited about this because it was something I was too lazy to implement in the past. So when data gets loaded into the site it will load a tooltip from db-valkyrie (which unfortunately occasionally loads quite slow) then cache the correct vanilla stats for quicker loading later. An example using some test data is here: http://getweirdwith.us/index2.php. As I'm bored at work, if anyone has anything else fun they want added to a guild site let me know. :)

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
I am so down. I miss Rebirth something fierce

chug away you brave little torrent!

also the banner brought me here. I, too, was dreaming of poopsocks

Purgey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 8, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

FutuerBear posted:

Our potential guild bank site now has 1.12.1 tooltip information for items! I'm quite excited about this because it was something I was too lazy to implement in the past. So when data gets loaded into the site it will load a tooltip from db-valkyrie (which unfortunately occasionally loads quite slow) then cache the correct vanilla stats for quicker loading later. An example using some test data is here: http://getweirdwith.us/index2.php. As I'm bored at work, if anyone has anything else fun they want added to a guild site let me know. :)

You should link it with http://aowow.org/ instead, as it is more complete, has comments, and is in English.

edit: Also, the current tooltip popup thing seems to be wonky. If you use it in Chrome like 500,000 tooltips pop up, of seemingly random items. If used in IE, it brings up another random item that sits on the screen and stays there. I'll attach a picture

edit2: This is in Chrome, with my mouse hovering over one item.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 8, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Westminster System posted:

Might have to give into this afterall.

UNLEASH THE KRAKEN.

By that I mean a female dwarf of some kind. Or not, because I'm not blind.

For real, if you don't like the Ruebenesque love of dwarf assntiddies, there's no helping you.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde

McSpankWich posted:

You should link it with http://aowow.org/ instead, as it is more complete, has comments, and is in English.

edit: Also, the current tooltip popup thing seems to be wonky. If you use it in Chrome like 500,000 tooltips pop up, of seemingly random items. If used in IE, it brings up another random item that sits on the screen and stays there. I'll attach a picture

edit2: This is in Chrome, with my mouse hovering over one item.

Awesome thanks! I didn't know about aowow.org. The cool thing is all those type of sites use the same backend, so all I had to do was change where the ajax request was pointing. Indeed that tooltip plugin was horrible, I've put in a better one.

Also, for the record, female dwarf is the only gender/race choice to make hands down.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Oh of course, I'd be all over certain classes as a Female Dwarf, much like I was on Rebirth for a while.

Just.. not this time.

EDIT: Oh yes, the age of auto-unstuck free Hearth? Fun times.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 8, 2013

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So, does the old BRD gold making strategy work on this one McSpankWich? :allears:

Moon Sugar
Jul 26, 2010

Smokey HOOPS
In as Nucifero lvl 1 druid hope this is fun :3

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.
poo poo, this is what I get for not checking this sub-forum in a week. I've been playing around the past few days with a hunter and druid, I'll ask someone for an invite later tonight. Vanilla with goons is the best :banjo:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, does the old BRD gold making strategy work on this one McSpankWich? :allears:

I dont know, I haven't gotten there yet to confirm, someone told me it doesn't though. Sad day. But since there's actually a population, I was able to sell blues and greens I found, and most of the pots I made leveling alchemy on the AH. Made a decent amount of gold that way, too. Imagine that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
I found out that the addon pack in the OP is missing a few key addons (such as Cartographer)

I found this addon pack which was either from Rebirth or the old ED OP and have rehosted it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3hv6ove8rozymdr

Enjoy!

• Locked thread