Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

The banner worked really well for Rebirth, mostly because no one reads MMO HMO if they don't have a game thread to follow. Banner adds are a great way to get publicity as long as they're attention grabbing. Hopefully it goes as well for this thread as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

More like 16 serpent sting slots.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

drat, Rebirth died? May have to poke about on this one when time allows.

It's still there, and there's a new thread, it's just that GUILD (and most goons in general) quit a long while ago.

It's kind of interesting just how much of a difference a strong population makes. Sure, there's broken quests and weird bugs (like Improved Aspect of the Hawk activating on mend pet and bandaging), but by god there's a crowd of people idling outside the Ironforge bank and I'm satisfied.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Hmmm. Still cannot track down a reliable mac client download. All I have in my old external drive is 5 installer tomes and installer app. Doesn't seem to want to do anything beyond trying to patch to MoP.

Here's the thread on their forums for mac clients. The direct download ones are half broken, but the torrents work fine. If you can't do the torrents you'll need to find a different source for either the patch or the client, since I had region problems with the ones they had there.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Typical posted:

Hunter

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu20bLNlERU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Found out that just like on Rebirth, the boats dump you into deep water after transition (loving mac bug IIRC). Something that no vanilla server admins feel warrants captain placeholder apparently.

Yeah, it's a mac thing only. As I remember from rebirth, the dangerous one is the boat between Ratchet and Booty Bay, which drops you out too far to swim back to shore without dying. You can do the Wetlands to night elf country safely, though, and I haven't tried Wetlands-Marsh at all yet.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Billy Elliot posted:

So I got the flute and it says I am out of range. I remember they nerfed it but does that macro fix it?

Reminds me of the trolling my buddy and I did in WotLK with the train set and dropping it as we were buffing to pull the boss. Then they nerfed it by making it an emote when you placed it.

Don't target anyone and you should be able to use it at will. If you have a target, you can only use it while next to them. Also, if you're too lazy to use a macro, if you turn your back to the target you can spam the button the same way since it will keep interrupting the cast.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

You can cancel the cast and spam the sound and it sounds horrible. Or just play it normally, and it's like the piccolo where people freak out over something small.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Two Beans posted:

As a new guy that literally joined lgw this past weekend and prolly has no say in the matter whatsoever, what exactly is preventing a dual-faction goon group from functioning without the world (of warcraft) ending as we know it?

Well, besides goon on goon violence I mean.

I think in the end it comes down to population. Lots of goons started on both sides when Rebirth was new and the first thread/banners were made, and there was nothing wrong with 2 guilds because there was no lack of people to fill both. But how many of those people stay on til 60, how many of them plan to attend all the raids? GUILD/YOG did great for the first few months but once we actually wanted to do MC, neither side had the people by itself. Both sides joint raided with another guild, and the alliance side eventually merged into one superguild, but there's a lot of drama in that history. I don't know if having one single goon guild on one side would have lead to a better ending than the one we got, but it certainly would have played out differently.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Wolves are usually favored since on fights where they can't attack the boss you can still use the howl to buff your group. It's an incredibly minor amount of damage but it's more than 0.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

That's a funny way to spell PvP.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am THAT PERSON that plays WoW on a Mac. Is there a Mac client, or does the download include the files needed to play on Mac already?

There is a mac client, since blizzard is great about that, and it's pretty easy to find googling 'wow 1.12 mac' or similar. If you're on 10.7+ you can't run the installer but you can still download the whole thing at once instead. I think it's easier to do that anyway, since then you don't have to mess with patches or the risk of letting it accidentally autoupdating to 5.whatever
It runs completely fine, unless the boat bug is still in effect (you get dropped into the sea as soon as you load on boat/zeppelin trips), in which case don't AFK on boat trips.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

What's the reasoning for jumping around? Like 2 points into endurance, 3 into hawk, then finishing hawk 25 levels later, and one more into endurance in the 50s.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I know about frenzy, but poo poo like this:
53) Hawk Eye rank 1/3
54) Hawk Eye rank 2/3
55) Endurance Training rank 3/5
56) Hawk Eye rank 3/3
makes no sense at all.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

The boat from Ratchet to Booty Bay is lethal, I'm pretty sure. It dropped me too far out. I don't know about Alliance boats but the Horde zeppelins are safe as long as you're on the ball for swimming to shore.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

What we've experienced is that every time we've let someone play an existing lvl 60 in the past, they usually take a while to figure out how to play their class when they suddenly have 30 buttons instead of progressively getting a new one or two every couple of levels,

Ehhhh. A hunter has literally a two button rotation, I don't know about other classes but I think you're greatly overstating how hard it is to figure out this poo poo on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Except leveling teaches you none of that, you don't need to kite poo poo from 1-60. Or even your rotation, come to think of it, unless you level as MM.

It's less 'attachment to the character' and more 'sunk cost fallacy' imo

• Locked thread