Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

meecrob posted:

What class should I be?

For healing/utility paladins are probably a good choice, especially since it looks like you were horde in vanilla, it would be new as well! Druids are always good as well if you feel like leveling it again. The most important thing is that you play what you want, as having 60's that enjoy playing their class is way more important than having a certain class makeup in the guild.

As far as server 100%ness goes, it's not perfect, but like Neuntwhatever said, most major things do work very well. There are some weird hunter pet control bugs if you change aggressiveness mid-combat, and some aggro retaining problems with resurrecting your pet if you don't allow it to despawn first, but both can easily be worked around. I haven't heard too many complaints from the other classes in guild. I think the most noticeable broken quests are the chain that leads to the Seal of Wrynn, a ring you'll have from when you get it until probably late 30's early 40's. The other is the chain that leads up Jintha'alor and into ST, stating with Screecher Spirits in Tanaris/Feralas. The ZF stairs event also isn't working currently, which closes off three quests for Alliance (The final boss can be gotten to by jumping over the wall). Other than those though, I've had no trouble turning in anything, and from talking to the raiding 60's on the server, basically all the end-game dungeons/raids are working very well. There are two or three Alliance guilds that have MC/Ony on farm.

At the end of the day, the population makes up for all of these shortcomings and more. Having people running around in almost every zone, getting ganked beginning in STV and on up through all the contested territories, running into horde parties doing elite group quests and having epic pvp back-and-forths are all tons of fun. A well stocked AH is also really awesome, I've sold a ton of stuff on it, and you're able to buy most things you'd have a pain finding normally (Green Hills of Stranglethorn pages, Rethban/Bloodstore Ore, etc).

edit: Stairs event has been fixed!

\/ Just whisper someone, most people can invite at this point

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

DO IT! Up to 68 goons already. It's a blast now, I can't wait till we all hit 60 and grind those sweet, sweet dungeons.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

FutuerBear posted:

Our potential guild bank site now has 1.12.1 tooltip information for items! I'm quite excited about this because it was something I was too lazy to implement in the past. So when data gets loaded into the site it will load a tooltip from db-valkyrie (which unfortunately occasionally loads quite slow) then cache the correct vanilla stats for quicker loading later. An example using some test data is here: http://getweirdwith.us/index2.php. As I'm bored at work, if anyone has anything else fun they want added to a guild site let me know. :)

You should link it with http://aowow.org/ instead, as it is more complete, has comments, and is in English.

edit: Also, the current tooltip popup thing seems to be wonky. If you use it in Chrome like 500,000 tooltips pop up, of seemingly random items. If used in IE, it brings up another random item that sits on the screen and stays there. I'll attach a picture

edit2: This is in Chrome, with my mouse hovering over one item.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 8, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, does the old BRD gold making strategy work on this one McSpankWich? :allears:

I dont know, I haven't gotten there yet to confirm, someone told me it doesn't though. Sad day. But since there's actually a population, I was able to sell blues and greens I found, and most of the pots I made leveling alchemy on the AH. Made a decent amount of gold that way, too. Imagine that.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

mewse posted:

I wrote a python script that can decode wowhead talent build links from the old vanilla threads and turn them into wowprovider URLs

http://pastebin.com/LsXTxgbb

This may have gotten lost in the whole ZOMG THE LOGIN SERVER IS DOWN, but it's pretty much the best thing ever, especially when accompanied by the old class threads. If you have python on your computer it's definitely worth a download.

\/\/ Now it's really like vanilla!

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Choibai posted:

what is the population like on this server?

High for a private server. There's always people running around, and the AH is healthy. In fact yesterday there was a queue to grab bingles supplies, because there were 5 people doing the quest at once.

Edit: Just checked the ED forums, someone claimed 700 at peak times.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 15, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

This is the greatest addon of all time, and everyone should install it immediately

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

mewse posted:

That loving rolf quest...

e: somewhat relatedly the deeprun tram rat quest isn't completely broken. you only have to "charm" one rat then use your flute on it 5 times to complete the quest.

If you complete this quest you're doing it wrong.

Also:

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 19, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

What chat mod are you using? It looks a lot better than mine.

Just ChatMOD 1.05b. I got it in the addon pack that was hosted on the rebirth forums when I first started playing there, a little over a year ago. I have no idea if it's in this newer one. I turned it off though because I found out that it causes that stupid CLINK error in world chat.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Join us, be the new that guy.

\/\/ Well when you realize how incredibly boring and awful Eve is (soon), we'll be here ready for you!

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 26, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

boho posted:

:smith:

After getting burned by Rebirth I think I should play it smart and stay away til it has what I want intact and functional.

Will I actually manged to stay away til then? Only time will tell.

e: I'm not going to be able to resist am I?

If you wait until its released you'll have to level all the way to 60 and get geared up before you can AV. If you roll now you can just jump right in on the first weekend. You could be the first.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Had the greatest ZF run of all time tonight. :getin:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

^^ I'm 60 and have nothing to do. I'll help you level your pally, come back to us!

Audax posted:

If anyone plays Horde, a couple of goon buddies of mine and I are thinking of just starting up a guild for shits n' giggles sake - mainly to have a simple way of keeping things organized. If anyone wants to join us or is willing to sign the charter, send me a message. Ingame name is Pacal. We all play pretty casually (~20s right now) and just relaxed so if you're chill too well that's just swell.

This happened on the rebirth and was lovely every way you sliced it. I don't want to tell you to play alliance, but after living through having goon guilds on both sides, I wouldn't wish it on anyone again. Its not too late to start over on Alliance side, we don't bite. Please?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

We could also use Paladins, Rogues, Mages, and Locks! The only classes we seem to have an abundance of right now is Warriors, which is strange, and Hunters. Good chance a lot of the Warriors will burn out and reroll though. Also, there is no such thing as too many Warriors.

Edit: Basically roll whatever you want (except hunter, unless you're really set on being a hunter, then knock yourself out I guess) and get to 60 because I'd rather run groups more times to accommodate extra classes, than not run them at all because we're short.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 4, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

We couldn't even get 200 people logged in during peak hours on Rebirth....

Also the stability here really isn't that bad, it's never down for more than like 2 minutes once or twice a day. Just pee and come back and you'll be good. The only time it's worse than that seems to be Saturday. They claim it's because of the population, but their other servers are constantly hosting much larger populations and have no problems. Maybe they used some poo poo server they had lying around to try out a 1x 1.12 to see if it was worth it, and when it's successful enough they'll upgrade it? I don't know.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 5, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Druids and Pallys can reliably tank 5mans as good as warriors. In some cases better (UD Strat). Neither can tank raids though because they can't get avoidance/Def capped.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Just realized I've been using the wrong thread all this time. Anyway, PROGRESSION. Our first all guild BRD run ended in success (Obviously, since we are a professional raiding guild with no casuals). Only Paladin loot dropped from every boss.

Toober, Cleon, Pemulis, Koobes, Nutshot. Mark it.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 14, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yes, if someone attacks you, and frapses you multiboxing to defend yourself, you can get banned. It's absurd, but apparently true.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

In order to have enough money for mount at 40, you need to not buy a lot of your skills, and grind a bunch. Basilisks in shimmering flats, or elementals in the badlands are good.choices.

Gathering professions never shirt either. Also, there's a large enough population that you could sell some of the better stuff you find on the AH (Potions, wicked claws, etc)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea with exalted rep discount its 88g total. 80 for riding and 8 for mount. 20% off both.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

You beast, send me those f'n notifications. That's drat awesome.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I just logged in to Carl is the best and we love him! and there were 12 Alliance 60's on. Rip.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

What uhh, does it do.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

For those of you without Archives access, I copy/pasted the OP's from all the old threads into new threads on our guild forums: getweirdwith.us/forums. Enjoy.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

black1abel posted:

Been playing on the Horde side for awhile. Started a guild called <The Gaybar>. It's been pretty fun so far.

Going to just emptyquote myself to reiterate a point from earlier. Please listen.

McSpankWich posted:

Starting a goon guild in both factions happened on the rebirth and was lovely every way you sliced it. I don't want to tell you to play alliance, but after living through having goon guilds on both sides, I wouldn't wish it on anyone again. Its not too late to start over on Alliance side, we don't bite. Please?

\/\/ Oh! I thought you were starting a goon guild horde side. Please disregard and carry on. Apologies.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 21, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Dicking around as a Dwarf Warrior right now, but not sure whether I'm gonna stick with this or not. Apparently several of the leveling instances are broken? That was kinda my favorite part of vanilla WoW so if that's true it's kinda disappointing.

Yea the only bugged instance I can recall off hand is ZF, and apparently it's been fixed since I was there. I ran Deadmines, Stocks, Gnomer, BFD, RFK, and ST basically without issue. The bugs, like Typical said, are usually in your favor. For example, in ST the spawn of hakkar or whatever is just sitting there, there is no torches event to summon him.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

There's a lag reduction addon thing posted on the guild forums. I installed it and it actually really helped with a lot of the hiccuping. Smooths it out or something I don't know. I've even survived a few of those intense lag spikes where all of a sudden the whole guild gets booted at once... except for me.

Edit: It just realized it's actually not posted on the forums. But here's the link anyway.
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 20, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I killed Furbolgs in Winterspring from 56-60. Hunter though so perhaps easier said than done on whatever your class is.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea, it depresses me that Rebirth is coded so much better than here. I really wish they had a population that was worthwhile. Honestly, I might even go back there if it got to ~1500 or so, but the pop here more than makes up for few bugs I run into.

Also, Rebirth was just as bad with pathing, if not worse, pre-movemaps. In fact, I fell through the world with charge WAY more often on Rebirth prior to movemaps, and you couldn't LOS pull mobs or anything, all of which work here. Rebirth has about a year (of existence) on ED, so they still have plenty of time to catch up IMO. Most quests work, really the only glaring issues as far as quests go is the Screecher Spirits chain, the Wrynn ring chain, and the ZF stairs event. I mean there's some one off's that don't work, but killing 5 mobs gives the same amount of EXP usually, so it's not really a huge issue.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

And Portals deck!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Druids in proper gear can tank up to UBRS and most of MC/ZG as well. The only problem they have is that they can't reach the 440 defense cap to become uncrittable, so they can't really stand up to later raid content.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Umph posted:

Does this server have battlegrounds and PVP ranks? I've never played on an emulated wow server but I dearly miss the Vanilla pvp experience- I was one of my servers first high warlords (I had no life).

Currently all the ranks are enabled, and you CAN get up to rank 14 (HWL/GM). They have not, however, enabled the purple gear or weapons, as it would grossly outclass the MC gear. Once they open BWL, they'll release the epic PvP gear as well I assume.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 11, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea the upper level of gear is just a color palette swap. The blue set actually looks better imo.

Warrior PvP Blue: http://www.aowow.org/?itemset=282
Warrior PvP Epic: http://www.aowow.org/?itemset=384

fedit: Wow, rogue is even worse, almost completely indistinguishable.

Blue: http://www.aowow.org/?itemset=548
Epic: http://www.aowow.org/?itemset=394

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Cartographer works. It's in the pack in the OP.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

tower time posted:

drat, I am going to miss you in-game. remember to call and write!

Other news: last night my house flooded from the constant rain. We made at least 70 empties of our 6-gallon shop vac over the course of the day and the carpet in my room will probably have to be torn out and replaced. By and large my stuff is fine, but my computer is stranded in the room on my desk which is too heavy to move. Hopefully its sorted out in a few days, otherwise i might not be on for awhile. And just when i get bearhugs to 55! bleh

Give me your info I'll level her to 60

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

tower time posted:

Have an email or something i can send the info to? You don't seem to have pms.

I am cscoles at gmail dot com

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

If you roll a priest is there any reason not to be a dwarf?

Night Elves can do flips as stated above, also Starshards. Perception sortof works, and Diplomacy owns. It's definitely the best racial, but outside of getting your mount discounted, it's sort of useless as none of the important rep grinds are in the game yet. Cenarion Circle doesn't exist, and Argent Dawn only goes up to Revered, which you'll probably get from killing mobs while grinding gear in Scholo/Strat. If you're an enchanter though, it really helps because furbolgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

TulipSniper posted:

I signed up and downloaded the client and I still can't connect. Changed my realmlist... nothing. Any ideas?

Try the ED connection patch linked in the OP

• Locked thread