Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Swingline posted:

If I recall correctly they reduced the time it takes to level by ~30% in 1.12 to help people get to 60 before BC which is a huge deal because there is literally not enough quests in vanilla WoW to get you 1-60 pre EXP nerf without either A) staking out an area to everquest-style grind mobs for dozens of hours until you're appropriate level for the next quest hub or B) doing the same thing but with running dungeons over and over again. I almost lost my mind solo grinding most of 50-60 after quickly completing the hilariously few quests available - this was when silithus was 95% not there and had like 2 quests. For most people on their first character (i.e. you're not following some power level guide) it took 15-20 days of /played to get there. I still remember it took me 23 days of /played for my first 60 at launch and I wasn't dicking around at all, just trying to hit 60 asap. Keep in mind until late vanilla there were no mods to tell you how to do quests/where the objectives are. You literally had to read the quest text carefully and make an educated guess of where the objective might be. There was thottbot and later WoWhead but they weren't always perfectly accurate.

They also added tons of flight paths throughout vanilla making leveling much faster. And gold inflation made getting a mount at level 40 (the vanilla mount level requirement) very doable which saves tons of time. The classic vanilla hallmark was seeing people well into their 50s who still couldn't afford a level 40 mount. And holy poo poo it took forever pre-gold inflation to get an epic mount. You were truly a poopsock lord or a shrewd AH/crafting jew if you had one. Welp I just had a :bittervet: rant moment.

Actually there were mods that told you where to go for questing. There were even some that would run you to where you wanted to go so you didn't have to. Those were eventually banned.

I also disagree with it being difficult to get an epic mount. I never farmed and had two epic mounts before the price nerf. I suppose I did raid a lot, and never died because I played a rogue. Regardless, assuming you didn't frivolously spend your gold on gear you'll replace almost immediately, you could get your epic mount after a month of being level capped.

Sometimes I feel like I played a different game than some people in these threads.

I should really start leveling someone on this server. I've been neglecting it for too long. My old vanilla guild recently got together on Facebook and we've been discussing some kind of reunion raid on an instant 60 server, but some have expressed interest in playing legitimately. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Swingline posted:

Maybe we're talking about different time frames of vanilla. I agree, after 6 months to a year gold inflation picked up to the point where getting an epic mount was easy. But during the early months of the game where stacks of thorium sold for 4g and t1 bracers/belts for <150g on the AH it was very hard. I remember barely anyone having epic mounts and most people not being able to afford regular mounts until level 45+. Maybe it was because I played on a small population server and gold inflation was lower.

Nope. I had one of mine before the texture change, and one a month and a half after. On a low population server. Obviously anecdotal, but I thought the initial epic mount price with gold flow was very appropriate. What I didn't like was the AV epic mounts. I thought that trivialized the reward of having an epic mount. Actually, battlegrounds trivialized a lot of the game.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
A fascist told me I have to post in the thread to get an invite. I am Duberstein, and hopefully my time spent with you will cure my Groat's.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

McSpankWich posted:

The best part about this is that you don't have to post in the thread to get an invite

I knew it! I'm telling my rabbi.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
What happened to getting a 5-10 minute window when you disconnect to log back in without queue? My game crashed, damnit. I don't want to wait an hour to turn in this quest.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

drunken officeparty posted:

I waited in a 400 que only to get "Disconnected from Server" at the character select screen :shepicide:

Yup, that definitely just happened to me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

tadashi posted:

The average time to 60 is probably 6-7 days of ingame /played time (depending on how you use your ingame time) so it just depends on how many hours per day you are actually playing the game.

At level 38 I have around 8 days /played. If you don't idle, you may as well not play.

• Locked thread