Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Giant Goober posted:

I have the Mizuno and all the stitches are starting to break after 18 months, I don't know if it's me being rough (it tends to fall over a lot because I try to stand it up on slopes) or if it's normal wear and tear.

sarehu posted:

I had a Mizuno bag, to be fair it was used when I bought it, the main problem I had was that every elastic cable running through it (for attaching stand legs, and some purpose near the top) broke. The fabric of the bag itself ripped near the top and formed a 5 inch wide and growing gash, and most of its usage over 2 years was with a pull cart. That, and the pockets being a bit floppy, is what led me to buy a new bag. I have a Sun Mountain Four 5 now and I'm less tired or less uncomfortable when carrying it around the course despite it being heavier, because the shoulder strap is better. My Mizuno wasn't an Aerolight but it had the same kind of strap. I think the Swift-X's strap is also better, but I'm guessing based on pictures and mental simulation. The three-way divider on the Swift-X would scare me away though.

Thanks for the insight. I'm browsing craigslist for bags and a $40 Ping Hoofer came up, so I will probably go with that, even though I don't love the blue color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hit some Taylor Made Speedblades yesterday. Hit them well, but not my favorite looking iron at address and they feel a little on the longer side. He told me that if I bought them that I would need to get them fitted (for free!) because they are a couple of degrees upright. Have you guys had your irons fitted for you? I was told that buying them off the rack they are going to be upright because most golfers don't come from the inside on impact. Any info on that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seymour Butts posted:

Hit some Taylor Made Speedblades yesterday. Hit them well, but not my favorite looking iron at address and they feel a little on the longer side. He told me that if I bought them that I would need to get them fitted (for free!) because they are a couple of degrees upright. Have you guys had your irons fitted for you? I was told that buying them off the rack they are going to be upright because most golfers don't come from the inside on impact. Any info on that?
Getting new irons fitted is free for all manufacturers, so that's nothing special. Getting the lies on your irons fitted is a big deal, but only if you have a consistent swing. When you have a 6* lie deviation from swing to swing, the irons being 2* too upright won't matter one bit.

The Speedblades don't actually have an upright lie angle. They're a touch long which results in an effective lie angle that's a touch upright, but I think stock specs should be fine.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Round update: -1 through 3, still tired enough that I tried to use a nonexistent turn signal on the golf cart while driving.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kameh posted:

Round update: -1 through 3, still tired enough that I tried to use a nonexistent turn signal on the golf cart while driving.

What'd you finish at? Don't leave us hanging like that man...

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I was having the worst round today. Hadn't played in three weeks, didn't get much sleep, rain on the front. Greens missed, balls lost, putts blown, every drive snap-hooked. After a drive O.B. and a chunked approach I lay four next to the 100 yard marker on the 18th. Then I decided to screw setup and alignment and just whack the ball with a lob wedge and it ended up an inch from the hole. the end.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

What'd you finish at? Don't leave us hanging like that man...

Yeah, forgot to update heh.

Played okay. Did not drive the ball well, so I didn't hit many greens as a result. My par 3 performance was especially lousy. I did have a few kick in birdies (4 feet or less on 10, 11, 13, and 15 thanks to a strong wedge game). When I did hit the green, if my putt didn't go in, it was pretty close. Taking only 23 putts covers up a lot of mistakes.

Highlight of the day was hole 13. I've never birdied this hole, let alone from the tips - straight away par 4 that is just long and always into the wind. I was tweaking my setup to draw the ball with the driver and also just get my alignment correct with all of my clubs (I have a tendency to point my shoulders straight at or just slightly right of the target, which leads to a miss to the right), so I just skyed this ball to 215 yards.

From there, I hit this bullet of a hybrid that landed on the front edge and stopped 3 feet from the hole.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 26, 2014

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
23 putts? Either the greens are super small or you made everything. Great round with the flatstick.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Doubles are bad. Sorry these came out sideways.

Played pretty well in tough conditions. The greens on this course are fairly new, so they're rock hard--like you don't make a divot with a full 56 hard, so I think my score is worse than it could have been. For example, I landed an 8 iron 4 feet short of the hole on #5 and it ran out 30 feet past the pin (from a raised tee box into the wind...)

My doubles were all exceedingly stupid.
#6: tee box is way high with a big downslope and the hole is playing downwind. I roast a drive to 80 yards out and block my approach 10 yards into the water.
#11: kinda a goofy hole, 90 degree dog leg left. I hit a beautiful tee shot dead middle of the fairway. I have about 114 to the pin decide to hit my girlfriend's 52 (I ordered mine but I'd hasn't arrived yet), then block it into a hazard 15 yards right of the pin.
#14: playing 220 into the wind. I get a bit stuck and my 4 hybrid balloons right. Ball lands in a really wet spot, and I blade it trying to pick it clean. My chip coming back is borderline impossible, but I somehow hit perfect and leave myself a 10 footer (like I said, it was impossible) but miss the putt to save bogey.

Funniest hole of the day goes to #4. It's a short par 4. I hit driver and smack it pretty good. My approach is about 47 yards to the stick on a raised green. My first chip is 2 feet too short and bounces back down, my second chip is short and settles just off the green, so I have a 15 footer for par which I drain dead center for an extremely bizarre par.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Yeah, forgot to update heh.

Played okay. Did not drive the ball well, so I didn't hit many greens as a result. My par 3 performance was especially lousy. I did have a few kick in birdies (4 feet or less on 10, 11, 13, and 15 thanks to a strong wedge game). When I did hit the green, if my putt didn't go in, it was pretty close. Taking only 23 putts covers up a lot of mistakes.

I'd say that's a drat good back 9.

Omerta posted:

Doubles are bad. Sorry these came out sideways.

Is that a chip-in i spy on #3? Grats dude :toot:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'd say that's a drat good back 9.

Is that a chip-in i spy on #3? Grats dude :toot:

A putt in from off the green, but thanks! If there were such a thing as a bad par, that would be one.

Also, I forgot to mention the best part about this weekend. I almost had an ace on a par 4. I played atlanta national (Pete dye course). 16 is a 307 yard par 4, plays downhill and anything over the green is wet. The pin was on the right side of the green, I was playing bad and I am very confident with my ability to work my driver left to right, so I just said gently caress it and went for it.

Hit a beautiful cut that lands left of the pin and ends up just right of the flagstick. I missed holing it by no more than 2 inches, but at least I had a tap in eagle.

I've never had a hole in one, so it would have been pretty funny if my first was on a par 4 instead of a par 3.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Doyzer posted:

23 putts? Either the greens are super small or you made everything. Great round with the flatstick.

Thanks. Bit of the former, but mainly the latter. The main trouble with the greens isn't the size (they're usually circular, 20-30 yards deep), but the shape - almost all of the greens are turtleback. So if you miss by a little, the ball kicks hard off the side. Not my favorite type of green (is it anybody's favorite?), but almost all of the courses in SE Texas are built like this.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
The old push-up greens. A lot easier and cheaper to build back in the day. Still a good round.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm stuck behind a foursome of elderly Koreans who are playing the wrong tees, and I'm pretty sure two threes ones in front of them are doing the same. Just made the turn, kill me now. Guess I'll play 4 balls or something.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm stuck behind a foursome of elderly Koreans who are playing the wrong tees, and I'm pretty sure two threes ones in front of them are doing the same. Just made the turn, kill me now. Guess I'll play 4 balls or something.

Try signing up for a round the same day as a korean church charity tournament. We quit after 5 holes.

My round on Saturday took over 5 hours on a private course. Highlight went to this angry retired NY guy who played through the group in front of us (we were waiting for the group in front of us to finish teeing off...) and the dude stops his cart and asks them, "are you guys playing in a tournament or something?" then drove off before any of them responded.

Kinda a dick move, but still funny.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omerta posted:

My round on Saturday took over 5 hours on a private course.

Private or public, I'd have lost my mind. A round should only take 5 hours because of weather.

Grittykitty
Aug 10, 2004
Sand makes it scratchy
Soiled Meat

DJExile posted:

Private or public, I'd have lost my mind. A round should only take 5 hours because of weather.

My round yesterday took almost 5 hours because of all the drat leaves. Our foursome lost at least a dozen balls that we basically knew where the ball was. Hell, I lost a ball that all four of us were 100% certain was in the fairway.

The weather is great but these next couple weeks are frustrating.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ok yeah leaves are fair. I lose balls like crazy in fall rounds (as if i don't during summer rounds but still :v: )

We got an amazingly out-of-place heat wave for today up around here so i'm hitting the hell out of the range after work :toot:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you playing my local course in Los Angeles cause you're describing it perfectly.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

I said private only because a round should never take that long on a private course. One thing to be a public course trying to fit as many rounds in as you can. It's another to charge $35k, limit the membership to 225, and STILL have rounds be that slow.

On an unrelated note, anyone ever used a swingbyte before? My girlfriend got me one, but I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I had last Thursday off work and decided to try to get a round of golf in. I invited a co worker because I blew him off last time I played and he acted hurt. 3 hours and 45 minutes later we managed to play nine holes. He wanted to stop at the clubhouse and get some lunch.

Every single hole he spent more time critiquing my golf swing and looking for golf balls than he did playing. Even though I paid for an entire round, I had to bail before I lost my mind.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Are you playing my local course in Los Angeles cause you're describing it perfectly.

Speaking of LA, I'm now officially gainfully unemployed for at least a little while so I can finally play a bunch of golf during the week where it doesn't take 6 hours to finish.

Last Thursday I played Encino at 2pm and was done before 6, and I got to play in a group right behind Brekin Meyer. Always seems strange to see celebrities playing cheap city courses when there are so many nicer public and private courses around here, but Encino seems to attract them. Last month I almost killed Donald Faison there while he was waiting on the 15th tee box and I tried to drive the 14th green, but cut it a bit too much. He said the ball flew about 3 feet over his head and landed right in front of him. Then he got to watch me hit my pitch from there to 3', so that was cool.

Now that I'm free, if any of you other LA golfers want to get out and play somewhere during the week, just let me know.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Hekk posted:

Every single hole he spent more time critiquing my golf swing and looking for golf balls than he did playing. Even though I paid for an entire round, I had to bail before I lost my mind.

Ugh. Nobody likes this guy.

My friends are *terrible* at golf, but that's half the fun for me, watching them lose balls and hack away. I only give advice if they specifically ask. As long as they play fast, I don't care.

BCRock posted:

Speaking of LA, I'm now officially gainfully unemployed for at least a little while so I can finally play a bunch of golf during the week where it doesn't take 6 hours to finish.

Last Thursday I played Encino at 2pm and was done before 6, and I got to play in a group right behind Brekin Meyer. Always seems strange to see celebrities playing cheap city courses when there are so many nicer public and private courses around here, but Encino seems to attract them. Last month I almost killed Donald Faison there while he was waiting on the 15th tee box and I tried to drive the 14th green, but cut it a bit too much. He said the ball flew about 3 feet over his head and landed right in front of him. Then he got to watch me hit my pitch from there to 3', so that was cool.

Now that I'm free, if any of you other LA golfers want to get out and play somewhere during the week, just let me know.

How's Encino looking? I've been meaning to get out there.

If I'm not booked on a job during the week, I'm game. Freelance life giveth and taketh away :)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
They actually just punched all of the fairways on the front 9 at Encino, which is something I've never seen an LA City course do. It's totally playable, but it won't look pretty until they're done healing.

Bobby, the head greens keeper there, is the best one out of all the city course guys and the greens at both Sepulveda courses are almost always fantastic (if a bit slow, but they do that on purpose), so I'm very interested to see how the fairway aeration goes and if all the other courses will follow suit and do theirs. They sent him over to Rancho Park earlier this year and after a few months he had the greens there in the best shape they've been in years. Now he's back at Sepulveda and I'm just hoping they keep up with the maintenance at Rancho since that's my "home" course.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

That sounds awesome, I've never played over there but I wanna check it out!

They punched the greens at the two courses I play the most frequently, Almansor and Los Feliz Par 3 (see previous post about my retarded friends that love to hack). They did it about a month ago. Almansor looks great, but Los Feliz is still a mess. I don't understand how a golf course can be underwater constantly in a drought.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
What can you guys tell me about 3 woods and 3 iron replacements? I want a 3 wood that has a low profile that looks good at address and can hit it off the deck. I'm looking for roughly the same thing with a 3 iron hybrid.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seymour Butts posted:

What can you guys tell me about 3 woods and 3 iron replacements? I want a 3 wood that has a low profile that looks good at address and can hit it off the deck. I'm looking for roughly the same thing with a 3 iron hybrid.
I assume you don't want current models since they'll be more expensive.

For easy-to-launch 3 woods, the Callaway Razor Fit Extreme/X Hot/X2 Hot, Ping G25, TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2, and Titleist 913F will be good options.

For a 3 hybrid, the Ping G25/Anser hybrids were very popular.

One thing to keep an eye out for is club length. A lot of 3 woods are 43.5" stock, which you probably don't want for hitting off the deck.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 29, 2014

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm getting back into golf after not playing for 20 years. (I'm 44 now) I picked up a demo set of Ping Karstens for cheap from the local course, and I was shooting around 104 until I strained/tore an intercostal muscle, so now I can't play for about a month. In the meantime, it's probably time to replace my 20 year old driver and and woods.

Any suggestions on something that's easy to hit straight. I really don't care that much about distance, as I'm now older and wiser. I just want to hit the ball more or less straight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

I'm getting back into golf after not playing for 20 years. (I'm 44 now) I picked up a demo set of Ping Karstens for cheap from the local course, and I was shooting around 104 until I strained/tore an intercostal muscle, so now I can't play for about a month. In the meantime, it's probably time to replace my 20 year old driver and and woods.

Any suggestions on something that's easy to hit straight. I really don't care that much about distance, as I'm now older and wiser. I just want to hit the ball more or less straight.
Ping G series, hands down. They're available in driver, fairway woods, hybrids, and irons. The current line is G30, but G25 is also very excellent. Probably no need to go back to G20.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seconding the G series. I love my G15s to death.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Used Cally X hot in 11.5 degrees s/b under $100 easy.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Wanted to tell you guys about an experience I had at Dick's Sporting Goods. Went in there to hit some irons and finally pull the trigger on buying. I saw online that they had the Burner 2.0's new for $300 and I wanted to check out their selection. Vacant department and the lights are off in the test swing area. Finally spot an employee after 20 minutes and I ask him for some help. Long story short, he tells me I have the wrong guy and he doesn't know if there is anyone in the department to help me. He gets on the walkie talkie after some nudging and I finally find someone whom I tell I want to get a driver re-gripped and I want to hit some irons and I ask if he can help me. He says yes. He re-grips the club just fine, but has absolutely no knowledge about anything. I tell him I want to buy some irons and ask if I can test hit a couple sets. He pulls them off the rack with the plastic still on and wraps the faces up in masking tape. That really doesn't help with the feel and he also "doesn't know" how to turn on the swing simulator. I then asked about fitting the clubs and the guy looked at me like :what: Anyway, ended up buying a carry bag and I just finished giving them a 1/10 on their online survey. Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? I told them I'd like a reply in regards to my complaint. What do big stores like that do in these cases?

Sorry about content and length of my post. Angry white guy here who rushed out of work and really had his heart set on buying stuff today :(

Edit: Also took them 30 minutes to find a price for the carry bag because the bar code would not scan properly. I explained in their survey all of these instances in detail.

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 29, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seymour Butts posted:

Wanted to tell you guys about an experience I had at Dick's Sporting Goods. Went in there to hit some irons and finally pull the trigger on buying. I saw online that they had the Burner 2.0's new for $300 and I wanted to check out their selection. Vacant department and the lights are off in the test swing area. Finally spot an employee after 20 minutes and I ask him for some help. Long story short, he tells me I have the wrong guy and he doesn't know if there is anyone in the department to help me. He gets on the walkie talkie after some nudging and I finally find someone whom I tell I want to get a driver re-gripped and I want to hit some irons and I ask if he can help me. He says yes. He re-grips the club just fine, but has absolutely no knowledge about anything. I tell him I want to buy some irons and ask if I can test hit a couple sets. He pulls them off the rack with the plastic still on and wraps the faces up in masking tape. That really doesn't help with the feel and he also "doesn't know" how to turn on the swing simulator. I then asked about fitting the clubs and the guy looked at me like :what: Anyway, ended up buying a carry bag and I just finished giving them a 1/10 on their online survey. Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? I told them I'd like a reply in regards to my complaint. What do big stores like that do in these cases?

Sorry about content and length of my post. Angry white guy here who rushed out of work and really had his heart set on buying stuff today :(

Edit: Also took them 30 minutes to find a price for the carry bag because the bar code would not scan properly. I explained in their survey all of these instances in detail.
Dicks is NOT, I repeat NOT an option you should consider for clubs. They fired all their PGA Professionals earlier this year, they're closing down a bunch of Golf Galaxy stores, and they're trying to exit the golf hard goods business in general.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Werid, I really like the guy at my local Dicks, though I only go there instead of my local shop when I have a gift card.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya Dicks is the last place I'd goto if I wanted to get fit for clubs. Goto a club fitting event at your local course or worst case goto GolfSmith and use their golfTEC program where they'll fit you for every club. I have a feeling Dicks is going the Sports Authority way and will be carrying the bare basics for golf stuff here in the near future.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I stop by dicks to look at some of their sale/clearance shoes (since they usually have a ton) and see if any balls are on sale. I don't think I've ever touched their clubs.

Grittykitty
Aug 10, 2004
Sand makes it scratchy
Soiled Meat
Yeah, all aboard the DSG hate train. gently caress that place.

You might try asking the Pro at a local golf course if there is someone they would recommend for a fitting.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Spent about 3.5 hours on the range and chipping/putting area and banged about 160 balls sans glove. I've been watching some old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf and I'm determined to play with no glove like my favorite player since I was a kid, Freddy Couples :3: I was going to play a round as well, but I kind of opened a blister on my left hand just off center on the meaty part of my pointer finger that was starting to really bother me. The rest of my calluses are on the fleshy part of my left hand just below the the pinky, ring, and middle finger. Also, the proud owner of some brand new speedblade irons! :dance:

Anyway, I need to get some lessons. It's one thing to just "bomb" shots into a simulator off a mat and totally another thing to consistently hit the ball pure off a soft dirt-y lie on a range with a target in mind. I made sure not to be too hard on myself as I've been to the range about a dozen times in the last 7 years (since my last round) although I have hit shots in simulators 3-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. Hit about 60%-65% of my irons pure although I couldn't figure out the yardages to the markers because it's a grass range and the tee boxes vary. On top of that, the range is water with floating colored buoys. Also, I can finally hit a 4 iron :toot:

Now I need a new 50, 55, and 60-something degree wedge. Need a 3 wood and a 3 iron hybrid as well. Also a putter. While I'm at it, I probably should buy a new driver or at least hit mine against some newer drivers. I have a KZG Gemini 460 from about 2006 that I've kept in my trunk so long in the South Florida heat that the grip melted. I had it regripped, but I'm curious if there was any other damage to the club, so I'll have to check that out.

Golf was my favorite thing in the world when I was a pre-teen/teen and I have fallen back in love! Feels pretty good that I know I can play as much as possible during the "winter" :smug:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Curious: I realize this question might be meaningless since everyone's swing is different, but if you had to pick, what is the most forgiving off the rack driver available right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I have a tour edge exotics cb4 that I love more than any other club in my bag. IMO, it's the best 3 wood ever made. Not the easiest to hit off the deck, but my mishit with it is usually on line, so it's nbd.

I've also heard really good things about the callaway 3 woods.

Anyone check out the callaway apex MBs? They're really pretty, and I could see myself getting a lightly used set down the road. I was kinda against muscle backs because I thought I wasn't good enough to play them, but I've really enjoyed bagging a set of 712s. Mishits are still mishits, but they're not noticeably worse than with my old irons, and they're much easier to shape and take 5-20 yards off on a tweener shot.

• Locked thread