Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ironlung posted:

Curious: I realize this question might be meaningless since everyone's swing is different, but if you had to pick, what is the most forgiving off the rack driver available right now?
Ping G30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Michael Jordan is the best rear end in a top hat

quote:

Ahmad Rashad asked MJ for his ideal golfing foursome, out of anyone. (Jordan immediately started by saying Rashad wasn't on it.) Jordan's first choice was Arnold Palmer, and his second was the POTUS, but he changed his mind, calling Obama a "hack."

"I've never said he wasn't a great politician," Jordan said. "I'm just saying he's a lovely golfer."

:allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stones in glass houses. MJ's golf game is pretty rough these days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Stones in glass houses. MJ's golf game is pretty rough these days.

MJ don't care

also holy hell that answers my question of what Ahmad Rashad has been up to for so long. I thought that guy vanished.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

MJ don't care

also holy hell that answers my question of what Ahmad Rashad has been up to for so long. I thought that guy vanished.
Yeah, he ended up at Golf Channel. No idea what execs are doing there, but its original programming feels like it's suffering the way G4 did.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, he ended up at Golf Channel. No idea what execs are doing there, but its original programming feels like it's suffering the way G4 did.

Actually Back 9 Network. His show is pretty decent but that network really needs some funds pumped in to make it watchable.

Also, new irons incoming 8) Hope my iron whoring is over for the next few seasons...LOL

Went with the Vapor Pros. Can't wait to hit them outside..... NEXT APRIL. I may have to take a golf trip this winter just to try these out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
^^ drat I like the look of those. Don't know how you guys handle having golf off seasons :(

Coldest it gets here in winter is ~10-15Celsius. Think I average around 80 rounds a year.

So tempted to get fitted for one of these:

Currently using Adams CB1 3 iron which I can get ~200-210 meters out of, I use it for most tight driving par 4's. An extra 20 or so meters would be perfect.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
I've heard nothing but great things in regards to the UDI's. Very tempted to get the 2i version myself.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
After hitting balls for the last couple days without a glove I now have a painful reminder that my grip is not strong enough (based on location of some blisters). So, I've spent probably 3-4 hours today watching every single video on YouTube pertaining to the proper grip. Bought a glove and hit another 100 balls today and with a proper grip it feels like I'm creating effortless lag on my downswing and when I'm hitting the ball pure I'm loving the shape on my irons. Even laid some irons down on the range for alignment purposes which I never do even though I have had serious issues with that ever since I began playing golf. After a week or so of hitting balls everyday I'd like to post a video of myself down the line and front on with some 6 irons to see what you all think. I've never taken a lesson before and I can't really afford to drop $500+ in the next few weeks to have pro lessons. In fact, I have absolutely no idea what my swing looks like from the outside because I've never had it recorded before.

Do any of you guys have videos of your swings? I'd really like to see them. I am in no position to critique or offer much advice, but I'm just curious :3:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

Do any of you guys have videos of your swings? I'd really like to see them. I am in no position to critique or offer much advice, but I'm just curious :3:

Haven't recorded my swing in a couple of years, might do it this weekend and put it up. I've been told it looks like I'm using kids clubs because of how tall I am.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Haven't recorded my swing in a couple of years, might do it this weekend and put it up. I've been told it looks like I'm using kids clubs because of how tall I am.

I just threw this up on youtube last night. I have a few others from when I went and played Mission Inn here in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awEd5uUxqQM I can't figure out how to link to the HD version of it.

Bonus commentary from my Dad and a nice Wow from my friend lol

The drive wound up being about 315 yards right down the middle of the fairway.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Holy poo poo, awesome swing. What did you shoot out there? Beautiful course. I live in Florida as well, but Ft. Lauderdale area.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I picked up a cheap gopro knockoff a while back to film myself with and haven't gotten around to it, I was actually planning on doing it Monday or Tuesday so now I definitely will. Sadly the golf season here in NY is almost done. There's a driving range nearby that's open year round that I'll probably be visiting every week or two at least. They have a couple nice indoor simulators too that I'm tempted to try since I've never gotten accurate spin numbers or things like that for myself.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Holy poo poo, awesome swing. What did you shoot out there? Beautiful course. I live in Florida as well, but Ft. Lauderdale area.

Wound up with an 89. Know I can do much better as it was the first time we've played that course and a lot of the holes we were kinda guessing where to hit and distances. It's a pretty awesome course though, a lot of elevation changes(for Florida at least!) And thanks for the compliment! I've worked hard this year to get more consistent with my swing and to me it's really payed off as I'm down around a 5.5 handicap according to GolfShot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I just threw this up on youtube last night. I have a few others from when I went and played Mission Inn here in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awEd5uUxqQM I can't figure out how to link to the HD version of it.

Bonus commentary from my Dad and a nice Wow from my friend lol

The drive wound up being about 315 yards right down the middle of the fairway.
Your first move from the top is to steepen your hand position and come slightly over the top, but it's not extreme and the move itself isn't necessarily a problem. Miguel Angel Jimenez, for example, has a similar move.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2014

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Is there some way to redo the video in super slow mo?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

daslog posted:

Is there some way to redo the video in super slow mo?

Which one, mine? In youtube you can actually slow it down, hit the setting gear and choose the slow mo speed.

I'm actually uploading another angle right now that's straight from the iphones slow mo, should be done in a sec.

My brother recorded it in portrait mode though :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MAErS5vpQ

My dad and friend are easily impressed with long drives lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 31, 2014

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

I just threw this up on youtube last night.

Nice swing, you can always tell a good golfer by the amount of hip drive through the ball.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

Your first move from the top is to steepen your hand position and come slightly over the top, but it's not extreme and the move itself isn't necessarily a problem. Miguel Angel Jimenez, for example, has a similar move.

hey mattfl if you closed your shoulders off a tiny bit at setup (I think they might be slightly open) and held them off through the transition at the top then goddamn you'd be onto something

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Homestar Runner posted:

hey mattfl if you closed your shoulders off a tiny bit at setup (I think they might be slightly open) and held them off through the transition at the top then goddamn you'd be onto something

They are slightly open which causes my slight fade or if I dip my shoulders too much a full on slice to happen. I just took a look at a few drills and a good explanation on how to prevent this and close my shoulders off and I'll definitely give this a shot next time I'm out. Thanks for the advise!!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ordered the TaylorMade UDI 2 Iron on Saturday, said they'd have it in at the end of this week. Got a call today saying that they are discontinuing the UDI in favour of the new RSi irons.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com.au/rsi-1-irons

Was told that they were waiting on the delivery of these new clubs - 2-3 weeks :negative:

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 3, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
My shoulders feet and hips feel like an unfolded lawn chair at address. I've watched a bunch of tour pros down the line and plenty of them have open/closed feet at address. Same goes with their shoulders. How important is alignment?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Ordered the TaylorMade UDI 2 Iron on Saturday, said they'd have it in at the end of this week. Got a call today saying that they are discontinuing the UDI in favour of the new RSi irons.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com.au/rsi-1-irons

Was told that they were waiting on the delivery of these new clubs - 2-3 weeks :negative:
TaylorMade.txt

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Seymour Butts posted:

My shoulders feet and hips feel like an unfolded lawn chair at address. I've watched a bunch of tour pros down the line and plenty of them have open/closed feet at address. Same goes with their shoulders. How important is alignment?

Extremely. The only reason pros have their feel aligned left or right of their target / shoulder line (95% of the time anyways) is to hit a fade or draw.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

TaylorMade.txt

Haha, they got back to me today saying that it's actually January for those new irons.

They've been able to source a new UDI 2 iron and will plug the end of it to make it longer. They're also going to chuck in an oversized New Decade grip to suit my other irons. Should have it next week.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Interesting reading about Ball Flight Laws

http://www.golfwrx.com/251459/use-the-new-ball-flight-laws-to-understand-your-tendencies/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If this is new to you, it's good you don't go any longer without understanding what's going on, but this stuff has been out there for a half dozen years now. Sean Foley famously said that nobody hits a draw with a closed club face. The author of the article has also been posting pretty much the same article for months.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I hate the fact that I live in a universe where these are "new" ball flight laws. This is the number one reason you shouldn't trust anything you hear from people in the golf swing business -- they just went around not having a clue, telling people crazy things like the notion that iron shots were made consistent by trapping the ball against the fairway. This is stuff simple experiments at a driving range will prove wrong. Any curious twelve year old can go to the range and see how much slice and how much pull they get when they swing slightly over the top with the face pointing straight. The "old" belief that the ball continued in the direction the clubhead was moving is akin to thinking if you throw a golf ball at a smooth wall at an angle, it'll bounce back retroreflectively. It never worked that way, not with balata, not with gutta percha.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

If this is new to you, it's good you don't go any longer without understanding what's going on, but this stuff has been out there for a half dozen years now. Sean Foley famously said that nobody hits a draw with a closed club face. The author of the article has also been posting pretty much the same article for months.

Nah mate, read about it a while back. Just thought I'd share.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
So, I've been fiddling with my grip for days. I've watched every youtube video about the proper grip. Looked at my grip in the mirror. Made sure the "V's" were pointing towards my right shoulder, checked to see if I could see two knuckles on my left hand at address, etc... So, I was at the range and the head pro was out there, so I basically just walked up to him and asked him if he could look at my grip and tell me what he thinks. He immediately told me that it's too strong. He told me that I should grip it with my left hand so that my left thumb is going down the center of the grip. Everything I've seen has told me that my left thumb should be right of center :confused:

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 6, 2014

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Seymour Butts posted:

So, I've been fiddling with my grip for days. I've watched every youtube video about the proper grip. Looked at my grip in the mirror. Made sure the "V's" were pointing towards my right shoulder, checked to see if I could see two knuckles on my left hand at address, etc... So, I was at the range and the head pro was out there, so I basically just walked up to him and asked him if he could look at my grip and tell me what he thinks. He immediately told me that it's too strong. He told me that I should grip it with my left hand so that my left thumb is going down the center of the grip. Everything I've seen has told me that my left thumb should be right of center :confused:

That's weird. Basically every modern player has the thumb to the right of center. Unless you struggle with a big hook I'd keep it the way it is.

Also, I don't believe there's such a thing as THE proper grip. There are guidelines and it's always better to start in the middle range, but whatever works is the mantra.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I thought this was moderately humorous

http://deadspin.com/patrick-reed-on-his-own-putting-you-fuckin-human being-1655322621

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Any of you club hoarders have any 50, 54, or 58 degree wedges you are looking to get rid of? I have a 45 degree PW and I want three more wedges. I always used the same 52 dual wedge for chipping, pitching, and sand play so I'm not even exactly sure what I should get. So many lofts :psyduck:

Edit: Just picked up a Rocketballz Stage 2 3 wood from Golf Galaxy yesterday and I was really excited to go to the range this morning, but it's raining :(

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 9, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seymour Butts posted:

Any of you club hoarders have any 50, 54, or 58 degree wedges you are looking to get rid of? I have a 45 degree PW and I want three more wedges. I always used the same 52 dual wedge for chipping, pitching, and sand play so I'm not even exactly sure what I should get. So many lofts :psyduck:

For what little it's worth, I've found my 54 to be a great do-all loft wedge, and it's pulled sand duty once in a while as well. I blade right under with my 58 pretty often but that might just be down to me not practicing with it enough.

I've honestly been wondering if I'm better off leaving the 58 out of my bag, but I don't know what I'd replace it with.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I hit my 52 like 120, but I don't really like how it plays around the green. It could be the fact that it's a $40 bargain wedge that is over 10 years old. I figure I'll replace that with a 50 since my PW is lofted so strong. Then a 54 so I can hit those bump and run shots around the green that take a hop or two and bite. Finally, the 58 for sand play and lob shots. Like I said I have played with pretty much one wedge my entire life, so I'm not even sure what "modern" wedges are supposed to do.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So I played a crappy course in my hometown, and each green had two pins: a regulation size cup and another cup close to 9 inches. I honestly believe they did this because the greens were terrible all around - slow, sandy, and bumpy as all get out. So a 9 inch cup would help you make putts you might not normally make. On a nicer putting surface, it would be neat.

As it stood, I shot 67, nearly chipped in twice (one had too much heat and bounced off the back lip), and still missed 3 putts inside 8 feet. One putt was just a pull, but again, the greens were so bad.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kameh posted:

So I played a crappy course in my hometown, and each green had two pins: a regulation size cup and another cup close to 9 inches. I honestly believe they did this because the greens were terrible all around - slow, sandy, and bumpy as all get out. So a 9 inch cup would help you make putts you might not normally make. On a nicer putting surface, it would be neat.

As it stood, I shot 67, nearly chipped in twice (one had too much heat and bounced off the back lip), and still missed 3 putts inside 8 feet. One putt was just a pull, but again, the greens were so bad.

They were trialing Big Hole Golf at a couple of my local courses > http://bigholegolf.com/

Good idea to get people into the sport plus it's temporary so you can have your usual weekend competitions with the normal cup size and run this during the week.

The biggest time waster per round is the time taken to negotiate short putts. Everyone marks the ball and spends ages lining them up only to miss. Well I know I do :)

Video of my swing on the weekend:

http://youtu.be/U15sCrPcDRk

I have trouble staying level throughout the swing - my head moves a lot. Dunno what that little move was before I started the backswing, like I tense up or something.

It's better than the really low wide takeaway I used to do. It's hard making changes with a swing, feels so unnatural.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 10, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

Phil Mickelson is finding a way to pass an extended break from the PGA Tour -- helping his brother Tim's Arizona State golf team.

Arizona State officials confirmed that Mickelson is in the process of becoming an interim assistant coach for the Sun Devils, where he won three individual titles as a player. An official announcement is forthcoming.

Golfweek first reported the arrangement, which allows Mickelson to spend time talking to and playing with team members while also calling potential recruits. As an alumnus of the school and a program donor, Mickelson would otherwise be prohibited from those tasks due to NCAA rules.

Neat!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thank you golfnow rewards for the $200 in free golf and free round for my dad, bro and me this sunday at Mission Inn! I have a feeling their rewards system is going to be majorly overhauled next year. It was way to easy to game the system to get the rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Played in a tournament today and shot 79. I'm disappointed in that I could have scored way lower (played 6300 yards) but happy with my game because I was swinging really well. Brief recap:

1: 390 par 4. Baby draw 3 wood, 52 degree approach to 12 feet. Putt lips out. (Even)
2. 336 par 4. Super narrow hole. 4 iron off the tee, punch pitching wedge deep (had to avoid a low tree), chip to 5 feet and make the putt. (Even)
3. 533 par 5. Roast my 3 wood through the fairway, punch out through the fairway (I was pretty deep in the poo poo), punch out again, pull my 52 left, super short sided chip that I hit to 15 feet, putt lips out for a double. (+2)
4. 400 yard par 4. Smoke my driver and have 82 to the pin. Pin is tucked back right. I opt to play a safe shot to the middle of the green, hit my 56 to about 25 feet and putt it to a few inches (+2)
5. 136 par 3. Very straightforward par 3. I hit a pitching wedge to 15 feet and my putt misses a hair high. (+2)
6. 480 yard par 5. I usually own this hole but hosed it up pretty bad today. It's a dog leg right, and I hit a perfect drive to cut the corner. I have 160 to get on in two, but I thin my 8 iron to 5 feet short of the green. It's a seriously awkward stance (way above my feet), and I thin the chip a bit and leave myself a 7 footer. Putt lips out. (+2)
7. 370 par 4. Crushed drive down the middle, 82 to the pin. My approach is a touch short, so it rolls down this hill and I have a 40 footer. Putt it to 4 feet and make it (+2)
8. 175 yard par 3. Another sucker pin placement way to the left side where anything left, short, or long leaves an extremely delicate chip. I hit an 8 iron pin high to the middle of the green and two putt. (+2)
9. 393 yard par 4. Perfect drive, hit my approach to 15 feet and the ball stops like two rotations short of the hole ((+2)
10. 520 yard par 5. Easiest hole in the course imo. I put a little too much fade on my ball and end up in pine straw to the right. 210 from the pin. I take a 4 iron and hit a low cut short of the green. The pin is like 8 feet off the front fringe, so I hit a bump and run 52. Slightly overcooked, goes 15 feet past. Putt lips out (+2)
11. 406 yard par 4. Hit my drive to 70 out. Essentially chunk my approach, but hit a great chip to 8 feet. Unfortunately, I miss the putt and make a stupid bogey.
12. 318 yard par 4. 5 iron off the tee, hit my wedge to 15 feet. When I get to the green, I just can't get a good read on the putt, so I lag it and take par.
13. 130 par 3. Hit my 52 to 20 feet, then proceed to have yet another birdie putt barely stay out of the hole (+3)
14. 360 yard par 4. Ripped drive, hit my 56 to 15 feet, make a good run at it but miss, 1 footer on the way back. (+3)
15. 360 par 4. Big dog leg right. I hit a pull draw with my 3 wood and have to punch out between two trees. 140 to the pin and I hit it to 15 feet. I misread the putt, but make the 5 footer coming back (+4)
16. 500 yard par 5. Perfect drive. Going for the green in 2 requires a high cut shot. I take my 4 hybrid, make a good swing, but it just fades a little and lands in a greenside bunker. I hate the bunkers at this course because they have like zero sand. As expected I hit the liner and skull my shot, but it lands about 30 feet away on the green. Two putt for a silly par.
17. 190 yard par 3. Pin is tucked back right corner. I figure I'll go for it because I really want a birdie. I hit a perfect 6 iron that goes 4 yards too far and have a really difficult chip. My ball has a piece of dirt the size of my thumb on it, and I decide to putt it. The putt comes up about 6 feet short, but I make it for a great par save. (+4)
18. 376 yard par 4. Knowing what I do now, I would have taken 3 wood. I hit a solid drive, but it started at the left edge of the fairway and drew. The ball is barely OB, so I drive back and hit driver again because I'm stupid. Ball is basically on the same line but stays in play. I punch out, pitch it to 20 feet and 2 putt for a triple. (+7).

The good: what was my biggest weakness is now probably my biggest strength: driving the ball. I had zero 3 putts playing putt everything out and almost made a lot of putts. Most critically, I still made good swings even though I felt a little jittery for the first few holes.
The bad: my wedges could have been more accurate. Never really stuck an approach to inside 10 feet, which is pretty disappointing considering I had a wedge in like 90% of the time. Also, I got too aggressive late in the round and tried to force shots I shouldn't have (direct shot at the par 3, trying to draw my tee shot on 16, taking driver for no reason on 18).

I'm really loving how I'm swinging right now. Just gotta keep grooving my 120 and in game and keep working on making sure that I don't lean towards the target. I feel like I've really made excellent progress in the last few months.

• Locked thread