Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Loving this thread title. :)

Got 2 lessons at a new place in town for Christmas. Winter tune-up gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's poo poo like this that reinforces my notion that Bubba Watson is the best thing to happen to the PGA Tour in years. :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Don't remember if this was ever talked about in the last thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-__DbWnes Bubba is just such an unconventional golfer on and off the course it's hilarious and awesome.

This is loving amazing.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l19RcDH9l40 here have a lesson of his

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 9, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Apparently Annika Sorenstam still has a problem with the slice

:frogsiren: :nws: :frogsiren:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Yikes! Is that her bone at the tip?

Yuuuup :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo the trophy Louis Oosthuizen got at this Volvo tournament is loving awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Russell Henley went loving nuts on the Sony open and shot 24 under par. Good grief.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remodeled range near my house is amazing. Nicely heated stalls, premium mats, hit all you want for $8 per half hour. gently caress yes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's an awesome dad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ironlung posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on traveling with golf clubs? Seems like it might be more convenient as well as cost effective to rent clubs instead of paying extra baggage fees, lugging clubs around, etc. not to mention the risk of damage/loss.

I travel with them because I'm 6'6" and gently caress rental clubs they are always too short. :argh:

SKB makes phenomenal cases and they have kickass customer service and warranties. I have a rolling bag by Sun Mountain that I completely love as well, it has an extra leg pop out and makes airports an absolute breeze.

E: The ClubGlider. Seriously this really owns. Went through all sorts of airports, hotels and airplanes on my Scotland/Belfast/Ireland trip and protected everything perfectly.

I say this with 100% seriousness, if you travel with your clubs you honestly owe it to yourself to splurge and get a good club carrier, whether that be a hard or soft case, make sure it has tons of padding, locks up securely if a hard case, has durable zippers if soft, etc. The ClubGlider I got was not cheap ($300) but there is no way in hell I would trust a set of Ping G15s to a cheap case. There is something completely awesome about being out on different courses across the country or world and having your own sticks with you.

If you don't want to travel with them (bag fees ain't cheap), I know FedEx will pad the poo poo out of your clubs and ship them drat near anywhere. If you call the course or hotel ahead and let them know they're coming, they'll put them aside for when you arrive. I don't know what that costs, however.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 16, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

I played my very first round of golf today, and managed to hit par on my very first hole of golf. I think I used up all my luck :)

Of course it's just a little par 3 pitch and putt and I played from the red tees, but still, I'm happy!

Don't underrate it. :) Those little par 3 courses are a huge help to anyone's game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

With the Flyers sucking as badly as they are, I'm totally spending my 4 lesson certificates soon to kill my evenings, just need the single digit temperatures to get the hell out :gonk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

Did my first iron fitting today :sax:

Ended up with a custom set of Ping G20 irons. I tried a few different irons including the G25 demo they had but the G20 just had the best feel to me by far. I got a different lie from stock and also go fitted for chunkier grips. All and all it was an easy process and definitely learned a bit.

You're going to love them, and having extra tape under your grips is awesome :toot:

Seriously though, it's unbelievable when you first swing a set that's built right for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oldskool posted:

I finally bought myself some cheap used clubs so I can play golf ($50 for a full set plus bag and towel, another $30 for 4 dozen balls, a big sack of tees and a free shag bag), and then when I got home and took a couple full swings I remembered I'm primarily a left-hander when it comes to swinging things :doh:

I'm ambidextrous to an extent so I can probably still use them, but holy god am I going to be all sorts of terrible when the weather finally climbs out of single digits.

Worse comes to worst, you should be able to flip the clubs and make at least most of that money back :shobon: If you got them from somewhere like a Play It Again Sports, you could probably exchange them pretty quickly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Take solace in the fact that you were probably going to be all sorts of terrible no matter what. Fucken Golf! :argh:

This really should be the advice to pretty much every non-pro golfer ever. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Commentators never fail, guy says "Well there seems to be a lot of spectators here for a Monday." Then Fehrety says, "Well a lot of people don't have jobs"

:lol: I loving love David Fehrety

In other news, Ping has a video out about a variable-depth groove Anser putter. It's a very cool idea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Course pros, by and wide, want nothing more than for you to keep coming back, (and obviously get a membership), and guys like those really own. I'm considering a membership to a few places around here but the problem is they're all really nice courses, which means they command really high dues, and most of them have food minimums.

I'm a single guy with a cat. Those minimums would murder my bank account. As if this sport isn't doing that by itself already

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Giving lovely golfers the notion that they can adjust away their swing flaws sells a lot of drivers :)

God does it ever. I think that Taylormade... RX something (RX7? R7?) was one of, if not the first adjustable weight drivers and it sold like crazy. It's a hell of a way to market, to be honest. "You don't have to adjust your swing! Just adjust the driver to your swing!"

I never tried one myself so I don't know how well they actually worked but they sold millions to the weekend warriors.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I love my G15 draw driver.

I do need to do some work on my 4W though. Somehow with that I catch the ball really square sometimes, maybe 3 out of 10 swings, and it screams off the club but barely gets 20 feet off the ground (in the wind and rain of Scotland, this was actually a fantastic 'problem' to have). It used to be that I swung way too hard on my driver, but smoothed out my 4W really well on the tee. Now I've completely flipped the problem. GOLF :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Ping's Anser driver is adjustable. :ssh:

I guess this means we add Ping to the "lovely club manufacturer list" along with Nike, right? :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Adjust your swing on the fly like Bubba you plebes :colbert:.

Bubba's approach to golf is basically the TV show equivalent of "gently caress it, do it live!" and I love it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know what domestic violence is like, but I imagine it's something like being an avid golfer.

"Big Show" of the WWE has a great quote along this line.

"I love to play golf. I love smashing the poo poo out of that little white ball. Great therapy... I'm out there with 3 other guys that are friends. it's not beer drinking and crap like that. It's just trying to hit good shots. I only takes one to bring you back again, one true shot in 18 holes. I might shoot 120, but damnit, I birdied that one hole, so I'm coming back."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Business is taking me to Orlando in April and I'm getting a chance to play the Waldorf Astoria Club. Anyone played it? It looks really nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: ^^^ No problem. :)

That 12 hole idea is interesting, and if you're pushing tees up and changing some of the holes, you could make some pretty fun rounds.

I took a couple videos of myself tonight using that awesome app "Coach's Eye", which is really worth the $5 if you have a good phone or an iPad. These are both swinging my Ping G15 4 Wood, 17* of loft. I get my hands up ahead of the ball to keep from opening the face up, and my loft seems to go all over the place, in terms of my trajectory. Here's a look square at my swing.

This is from behind, not the same 3 swings though, but with the same club. You can see the first two balls stay plenty low, but I am keeping them on target. My questions:

1: Do these flights seem normal? When I was fitted for these, we were building to a trajectory of getting the ball out and up, then sitting it down more straight. I know that's not exactly going to happen with a fairway wood, but it seems more and more like I'm hitting these relatively low screamers. Is this just from closing up the face or am I doing something else I'm not seeing here?

2: Am I not rotating enough, especially on my backswing? I seem to have a pretty vertical swing (which is probably not shocking since I'm 6'6") and while I seem to rotate and follow through, I look... stiff, on my backswing. Maybe it's just me.

3: Does anything else seem particularly off? As long as I don't try to kill the ball or get quick, I'm getting good contact 9 times out of 10, but one of you guys can probably find something I could tweak. :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks everyone. :) I'm getting some lessons soon and it'll be good to have a base of info to work from.

E: The big lean-over is a really bad force of habit from my days when I had clubs that were too short for me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Waste Management Phoenix Open has begun. If you don't watch this tournament, you should. The crowd always owns and most of the big pros are in it just being totally chill and clowning with the gallery

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

...if you enjoy hours of drunk ASU fratboys yelling stupid poo poo at the golfers. I kid.

haha yeah there's a ton of that. At any other tournament I'd be annoyed by it but this one seems to have always had that relaxed atmosphere. Plus it's sponsored by a goddamn trash company. You can't exactly call it a hallowed, serious tradition :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus, Phil just went loving crazy :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn, if Phil wasn't as huge an rear end in a top hat in the locker room as he apparently is, I'd feel bad for the guy.

Is he still? Or did he clean his act up? I know for a while he and Vijay were basically hated by everyone else.

E: I know he had the balls to call out Nick goddamn Faldo at a dinner a few years ago.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 1, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zinc68 posted:

Story about him and Faldo @ the Masters dinner please, I've never heard of it, sounds like a good story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Phil-Mickelson-owned-Nick-Faldo-at-the-champions?urn=golf,158269

To be fair, I would 100% love to see more poo poo like this made public. Some good rivalries could really revamp the tour.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahahaha goddamn that is great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

I've gotten Phil's autograph multiple times and every single event I've ever been to, he has signed autographs for the longest time of any player. He never doesn't have a smile on his face, and seems like a genuinely nice dude. His wife is also really nice and stays and chats with fans while Phil signs autographs. I don't understand how anyone could not like the guy.

Yeah, if he's gotten better lately then more power to him.

I tried to take some of the advice you guys gave, "sitting down" more and trying to rotate through the ball instead of having that more vertical swing that's all arms. I can definitely feel a difference now, although it's taking a little getting used to. I skyed the poo poo out of the 2nd one and kinda surprised I didn't hit the stall roof :v:

I see what you guys mean about getting more of my body into it. I can hear more of that 'whip' sound before contact, it certainly feels like I'm getting heavier contact.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 2, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This was a great Phil moment

E: #3 is a rare display of Tiger's sense of humor.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 2, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yaphet posted:

That's a nice improvement from the last video. You can definitely see your whole body getting into the swing. The one thing that you're still struggling with is hanging on that back foot. You can see it in this picture:

The ball is long gone and the clubhead is behind you at this point yet that back foot is still planted squarely on the ground. By this point in the swing your weight should be nearly 100% on your front foot.

Big improvement though! It does look and sound like a more solid strike. Plus, bonus points for you working on your game when it looks like it's loving freezing outside. :)

Is that just in turning quicker? Or is it in the weight shift forward?

And thanks, it was 15 degrees out, thank god for that heater above me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yaphet posted:

Your weight needs to shift to your front foot so that you can have the right attack angle. If you're stuck on that back foot you can hit the ground way behind the ball, hit it thin, etc. Plus, your lower body will stop rotating too soon. You can test this out yourself. Try rotating your lower body through with most of your weight on your front foot and then try it with your weight being equal on both feet.

What are your normal misses?

I'm keeping it fairly low on a lot of contact, maybe 15-20 feet off the ground in some instances. That's probably the thin contact, and the 2nd swing that I popped up. The more I worked on turning myself, the more I found myself either hitting the low, hard screamers or actually pulling a few to the left fairly hard, which is very new to me. I'm sure for one it's down to timing and just getting used to the better swing. When I got it right (the last swing in that video) it felt amazing and got a very good trajectory.

E: Although yeah, looking more at them I can see how slowly I'm shifting my weight.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 2, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In a little fairness, it seems like most of the pros know the crowd here is going to be pretty nuts, and some are even encouraging it. This is fun because most everyone's aware that this is the loose, fun/goofy early season tournament.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

James Hahn owns

Padraig Harrington owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RizieN posted:

gently caress Yes. You know what I love? Last minute golf trips.

Just decided today we're going to the Reunion resort in Orlando for a week. Last month we did a last minute trip to the Doral, tacked that onto a business trip we had to do. SO STOKED YOU GUYS. Its cold as gently caress here.

I hope my fitter can get my new wedges shipped to me by saturday morning...

That rules, dude. Post a trip report :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Mizunos are a little underrated and very solid overall. I'll have to do my "what's in the bag" sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RizieN posted:

Fitter should be shipping my 4h, 55° & 60° wedges next day air to the resort tomorrow morning!

drat dude, that's awesome of them. :cool:

• Locked thread