Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I just ordered a superstroke 2.0 myself and am really looking forward to it. I've been looking at a Tank or Daddy Long Legs as well but for now I haven't really played enough rounds to justify buying another putter yet.

Unfortunately I'm in upstate NY and this is the first year I've really gotten into golf, so I have a long ~5 months ahead of me. I'm going to be setting up a spot in my garage to hit into all winter which will hopefully be satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Callaway Pre-Owned is having some pretty amazing Black Friday deals (Buy one, get one free woods/hybrids, 40% off all putters and wedges) if anyone is interested, they end tomorrow but I'd imagine there will be new sales as well. Plenty of other sites are too, there's a stickied thread in the Golf Clubs/Balls/Accessories section of the Hackers Paradise forums that gets updated daily with lots of various sales from all over the place that I've been checking.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

UnionCarbide posted:

Was there ever a consensus about which of the Swingbyte/swingtip/3bays etc swing analyzers was the best? A quick perusal of the thread didn't find anything.

I've had my swingbyte 2 for a few months and really like it. I am another NY goon (Binghamton area) who is pretty new to the game, and it's been getting a fair amount of use this winter. Unfortunately the only place I could set up an indoor hitting area is the attic of my garage which isn't heated, so I've only been hitting balls a few times each week but as soon as it's above freezing I'll be out there daily.

They just updated the swingbyte iphone app to allow you to video your swing, I haven't gotten to play with that feature too much yet but I just got a tripod so it's on my to-do list. Unfortunately the iphone 5 only records at like 30fps normally which isn't really enough for golf purposes, but I think there are other apps that can force the camera to 60fps which I'll look into. Now that I have the tripod I'll try to visit the only heated driving range in the area to see how well the swingbyte data matches up to the actual ball flight. So far I've mostly been tweaking things to see how I can generate more speed while still making good contact consistently. When I was looking into which gadget to buy, it seemed like the swingbyte offered the most data and had a really good app and website. I really want to try it out head to head with a real launch monitor to see just how accurate it is but I don't know of any places in the area where I could do that.

Nerdrock posted:

edit : before I got started with this, I was kind of depressed my house couldn't accomodate golfing like this anywhere inside. I hadn't even considered my attic, and my wife just mentioned it one day. Holy poo poo, you're right! The thing is that my attic is BARELY safe for this. I'm still working out my "upstairs swing" because I subconsciously duck/kneel/lean at the end of my stroke because in the back of my mind i'm going to hit the damned roof.

Yeah initially I was using a small $20 turf mat to hit from, and combined with my attic ceiling shape and height being just barely enough for me to take a full driver swing I had a similar issue (being afraid of hitting the plywood floor or edge of the mat at the bottom of my swing). I upgraded to a 4' x 5' allturf mat and it was absolutely worth it. Being able to use real tees and also hit down into the turf with irons just like with real grass is great. It also doesn't get any green stuff on my clubs like most turf does.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 3, 2014

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The course that's 3 minutes from my house here in upstate NY charges $600 for a year, cart not included. But I talked to the owner and he also has a deal for players who just want to play rounds by themselves or with friends and not play in any leagues or tournaments. That option is $450 for two years if you just want to play M-F, or $550 for two years for 7 days a week. It's a fairly short par 70 course and is not as nice as the handful of tour-quality courses in the area but since the new owner took over like 5 years ago he's been improving it substantially. So at that price it's really a no-brainer, especially since I'm sure I'll be able to become a regular member for a reduced price if I decide I want to join a league or something. I only work ~30 hours a week and have a flexible schedule so I'm planning on playing a ton of golf as soon as spring gets here, the wait is killing me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Wow I was disappointed that Tiger wasn't playing this week but today was pretty entertaining. Adam Scott ties the course record and Bubba shoots 11 over and withdraws because of... allergies.

Also I'll be hitting some balls outside for the first time in months tomorrow, cannot wait.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

They do seem pretty proud of that graphic though, that's for sure. I had it on in the background for a few hours the past several days and noticed them zooming in on it and explaining it several times. It does seem odd to not just have "Hole X: Par 4" and then "Second shot" or something under it.

I think hitting balls into a blanket in my garage this winter helped me quite a bit. Went to the range Friday for the first time since November and my wedges up to about my 7i were all so much more consistent than I was last fall, and about 10-15 yards farther too. Unfortunately since I'm actually swinging down on the ball with those clubs instead of picking the ball off the ground my wrist and shoulder were sore after one large bucket so I didn't get to spend as much time there as I was hoping. Next time I'll have to go a bit earlier in the day so I can get one of the covered booths with a nicer mat. There's still quite a bit of work to be done with my longer clubs if the few swings I took were any indication.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It was actually decent weather in NY the last two days and one course in my area was open so I played a round each day. Based on the card/signage, I had several drives of 310-330 yards yesterday and another that flew just past the green of a 275yd par 4. All of this is with 50-55 degree weather and almost no roll at all because of how soggy it is. My dad and brother were flipping out but I didn't think it was possible to hit that far with my mediocre clubhead speed. Sure enough, playing around on Google Earth today shows the actual distances as 260-280 yards. I'm still thrilled since I improved greatly from last fall, but I thought it was hilarious that the posted yardages on these holes were 50 yards off. Maybe this is more common than I thought and that's a big reason so many people think they drive the ball so much farther than they really do.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It was good to see Kuchar sink that bunker shot to win yesterday, he deserved it after the year he's had so far. 8 top 10s out of 11 events where he made the cut is pretty amazing. After that awful 3-putt on 17 I thought he had found a way to blow another Sunday league but nope.

The course near my house is open now so I'm swinging by today to sign up for a membership and really looking forward to this year. There should be lots of golf in my future barring any extreme circumstances and I'm pumped.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I picked up a Bushnell range finder over the winter, one of the newer ones with the Jolt pin seeker stuff, and from 150ish or more yards I've never been able to actually get the pin, even with steadying it on a cart or something. It picks up sand traps and mounds and trees just fine but I've been a bit disappointed that more often than not I can't get the precise pin yardage which is supposedly the big advantage of lasers over GPS. I don't think any of the courses I've played at have the prisms on the flagsticks though so maybe that's why?

As far as the limiting factor for golfing, for me personally it's weather and my body. I have a ton of mediocre courses within half an hour of my house, and the one that's closest to me has a crazy membership deal of $448 for two years of greens fees, so I can show up and play any time I want to, although not in their leagues or tourneys. Combine that with a flexible 32 hour per week work schedule and I anticipate a lot of golf as long as I don't injure myself. I was just in NC for a week visiting my uncle though and his course had greens fees of $60-80 for most of the year which I can definitely see as a big factor for a lot of people who would want to play more frequently. It's been my experience that people who are frustrated by the difficulty of the game have more issues off the green than on, so they generally just do things like improve their lies, take mulligans, etc. I don't think bigger cups would have much success in bringing more people to the courses.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

I am absolutely destroying my 3 hybrid in ever place on the course. Averaging 240 carry with that pig which is a far cry from the 210 average when I got it a couple years ago. Think it's a combination of my swing speed increasing over the last year along with just hitting it more flush that I was before. Also, I seem to be able to work the ball decidedly well for a hybrid club. Draw, Fade, slice, hook all on command depending on what's needed.

I hit my 3h on the ninth hole yesterday and carried it ~220 instead of my typical 190-195. Unfortunately, the ninth hole is a 195 yard par 3 with a road just beyond the green... No idea how I did it, but if you count the massive bounce it got off the road it ended up being like a 250 yard uphill shot. Thankfully no cars were driving by, just a guy on a bike who was probably rather startled.

If I could hit that club that far consistently I'd probably just take my driver and 3w out of my bag. Sometimes when I'm at the range I'll have a stretch where 80% of my drives are 250ish yards and straight or with a bit of a fade, but as soon as I try replicating that on the course it reverts to 220 yards with a 40 yard slice, with maybe one or two good shots thrown in that prevent me from giving up entirely. I haven't gotten around to videoing my swing or bringing my swingbyte to the range, I guess that's my next step. And if I still can't figure it out I'll probably start researching who I should take a few lessons from in the area (I know I should do this regardless).

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

loving back pain. Hit a large bucket of balls at lunch on Monday and then played 18 holes in the afternoon and it was too much for one day I think. Hit a small bucket at lunch today and it feels even worse now, guess I'm taking some time off. This all started two years ago from mountain biking, and it just won't heal up. Might be time for an MRI or something. I'm only 26, my body is still supposed to be indestructible, I don't know what's going on.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It's pretty amazing how much distance you lose if you don't make square contact because of path or face angle. Yesterday I focused on closing my driver at impact and 5 of my last 6 drives were straight and 230-250 instead of huge slices that go less than 200 yards. Even when I aimed so far left that my drive would still find the fairway, it felt like I could have just hit a hybrid or long iron and gotten the same result.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Had the first eagle of my life yesterday, with a few birdies throughout the day too (walked 27 holes, played two balls on each hole). Seems like the stretching and the nabumetone prescription are working for my back, plus I've been swinging easier. I didn't putt very well but I've gotten a lot better with my chipping and driving over the last few weeks. I still don't hit many GIRs though since my irons have a pretty wide dispersion even when I get the distance right. The forecast looks pretty good for the next few days too so hopefully I keep playing well.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I snagged a Diamana whiteboard in stiff off ebay myself, it was a bit of a gamble since I'd never hit it but the price was right and I really wasn't liking the stock regular shaft in my covert (launching much too high and with a ton of spin). I only swing at around 100mph since any faster tends to result in slicing and I absolutely love this shaft. There's a par 5 on my course that has a big pond right in front of the green; I had never even attempted to get on in 2 before but now my typical drive on that hole gets me close enough for a hybrid to carry the water comfortably.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Dustkoch posted:

great that you got a new toy that you like and all but I gotta be honest, this

to this

has no basis in reality.

A shaft by itself obviously won't make you swing 5mph faster, but if his old one felt a little whippy I could see him swinging a stiffer staff faster just because he doesn't feel like he has to hold back. And the ball speed probably went up more than you'd expect from a 5mph club head speed increase because he was also making better contact. Plus it probably wasn't the largest sample size in the world so that can throw things off a bit.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I've only bought a few clubs from ebay but it seems like it's pretty safe to order from people with tons of transactions and positive feedback.

Then there were those brand new $100 SLDR drivers that someone in Korea with 5 total transactions was selling... Decided to give that a pass.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Mid 70s and sunny in upstate NY, until next week some time. Awesome golf weather, unfortunately I'm not playing much because a drunk driver totaled my car on Sunday. No injuries but also no new car yet so I can't decide to leave work at 2 to go golf when I want.

My clubs survived the accident intact too, thank god.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Has anyone else used a setup with no woods before? I'm getting pretty consistent with my hybrids, but since I only have a 3h and 5h there is a substantial gap between them. They are both Callaway XHots and since their preowned site has that line at 30% off, I picked up the 4h for $65 in "good" condition. Since my home course is rather short, there are only two holes where I would ever use my 3 wood, and I really don't hit it well that often. I end up topping it or slicing it much more frequently than any other club now.

I figure I'll take the 3 wood out of the bag but keep it in my trunk for when I go to the range, and maybe put it back in if I play a course where I need a longer second shot or a more accurate tee shot.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah I don't know what it is about the 3 wood. I can hit it off the tee very well, and off a mat at the driving range, but as soon as I'm attempting it on the course I only get a decent result maybe half the time. I'm sure it's partially mental and partially just the fact that it's a hard club to hit in any situation that's not ideal.

The diving range near where I work has a grass hitting area that I use, but it's hard to convince myself to go there instead of just playing an actual round. And I'm done doing both in the same day because I don't want to risk a return of the back pain I was having.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

27 holes of golf in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity really kills me, I used to be a lot stronger :(.

My Dad and I went 2-1 in our matches today, I played like horse pucker, I was either birdieing/parring a hole or I was picking up basically. Maybe someone here can tell me something though, what are the odds that you would shoot a 42 on a par 36(lets say course rating is around 71), if you are a 24 handicap? I would have to say pretty slim. That's a 42 with an 8 on one hole(which almost looked intentional).

I've played a lot of golf with a wide range of handicappers, but in my opinion a 24 handicap doesn't hit 6/7 fairways and 6/9 greens. What a joke, this guy made waaayyyy too good of contact to be a 24 handicap.

Besides that it was a fun day though :).

I'm a low 20s handicap currently (or I would be if I had a real handicap). Today on the front nine of my home course I hit 6/7 fairways and ended up with 3 pars and 6 bogeys. Granted my course is very easy, and I probably will be like a 15-18 handicap in a few months since I'm still improving, but it's definitely possible for a 24 handicap to play well.

I ended up with only one double bogey in the whole round, one birdie, 6 pars, 10 bogeys, for an 81 on a par 70. It was easily the best round I've ever had, so I'm pretty thrilled. I also didn't lose a single ball which is a miracle by itself.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Just placed the order for these. Went with 1* flat on both since it would be hard to tell the effect of a 0.5* change, and I went Vokey Z Cord grips since they're $10 grips ($15 for the Vokey version) and I can always get Crossline Cords for $5 on Ebay.

In related news, Woot is selling TaylorMade Lethal practice balls for $10/dozen. I'm a Pro V1x lifer, but the Lethal is close enough that I'll take new Lethals over used Pro V1x's at $1/ball anyday.

Do you get more wedge spin with the Pro V1x or regular Pro v1? I've seen various sites and reviews that contradict each other so I'm curious.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

ironlung posted:

Golf Digest releases a spin chart every year, you can google it if you want but most of the premium urethane covered balls are indistinguishable from one another regarding wedge spin. Driver spin is another story IIRC.

Yeah I've looked at the 2013 spin chart a few times. But like I said, there are a lot of people that say the v1x backs up a lot with their wedge/iron shots while the regular v1 just stops where it lands, and other stories of the opposite.

I guess it's probably just different swings, green conditions, wedges, etc. so I should just hit them myself and see what happens. I've been playing Callaway Hex Chromes but figured I'd try a few different balls and see if I like anything better.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Had a tap in eagle today on a par four, only the second eagle I've ever had. And it was in the second round of my club championship, which I almost didn't sign up for due to a busy weekend and also a bit of nerves (haven't ever played a competitive round before). I ended up in the middle of the pack with rounds of 92 and 86, met some cool dudes and had a lot of fun. Won a couple skins too to top it all off, it was a good weekend.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I was bored at work yesterday and ended up looking at the Golfnow site, and I'm really glad I did. I checked it out last fall and the deals for my area were non-existent. Now it looks like there's a few times at some of the nicer courses on any given day that I can get for around half price. I just booked a tee time for $18 for this afternoon at a course that is normally $56. It seems like having a flexible afternoon schedule and being open to joining a group of two or three other people will mean I can get a lot of good deals. This is great since I've played like 35 rounds at my home course this year and could really use some variety.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Worst ball scramble would destroy me mentally I think. I'd make it through like 3 holes and just fall apart.

That round I got for cheap on golfnow turned out great. For some reason I was teeing off by myself despite the golfnow reservation being restricted to only 1 person; I figured I'd be paired up with a threesome but the guy at the clubhouse said I was by myself. Still ended up playing the back nine with a threesome I caught up to since it was crowded but played well and really enjoyed the course. It played at ~6200 yards and has a more interesting layout than most places in the area, and it was in amazing shape. I didn't keep a score card but I know I had three birdies, four double bogeys and the rest was all pars and bogeys so I was somewhere in the mid 80s. The longer layout (relative to my home course) actually favored me because I usually had full swings with wedges or 7-9 irons on my approach shots instead of little 10-50 yard chips which I'm still pretty awful at. I'm already looking forward to the next time I see that course for so cheap.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Is -6 AoA with driver typical for you? Getting that closer to 0 or positive would give you more distance without having to swing any faster. It also looks like your downswing is a lot steeper than your takeaway which is the opposite of what most people want

Have you tested your swing speed on any other launch monitor or simulator by the way? I have a swingbyte 2 but I'm not sure how accurate some of its numbers are since my real world distances don't always jive with what swingbyte is showing.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 13, 2014

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So does the Jetspeed have a center of gravity that's further back than SLDR so it's not so unforgiving but probably also a bit higher spinning?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The G30 does look pretty interesting, I'm set for a driver for now though I think. I snagged a brand new Covert 2.0 from ebay for $120 and played my first round with it (using the shaft I already had), seemed to be hooking it a bit with the same settings as my original Covert that I've had since the fall. I guess a range session is in order, although I did have several really nice drives today so it's probably more my swing than a degree of loft or face angle.

I also played with some ProV1x balls that I bought during a sale at lostgolfballs and unfortunately I really liked them. I suppose paying around a dollar per ball isn't too bad now that I lose 0-2 per round but it's still like three times the price of the Chromes and Supersofts I had been using. Seeing a 200 yard hybrid land on the green and not roll off the back sold me though.

Ended up 12 over par on my round today, had a personal best going into the 16th but finished with three double bogeys after having nothing but pars and bogeys to that point. I'm going to be really happy once I'm consistently shooting less than 10 over par.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

potatoducks posted:

Thanks for your help. I ended up buying a used set of RAZR X 6-SW irons, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, and 3 wood for about $230 at callawaygolfpreowned.com.

Razr X are the irons I game, I've had pretty good luck with them although their grips can be a bit lacking if your hands are sweaty or have sunscreen or something on them. I also had a bit of an issue finding a good gap wedge to fit between the 44 degree PW and 54 degree SW, but maybe your set came with one. All in all they seem like a really solid set of irons though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Vokeys and Clevelands come in 48 and 50, and Callaway Mack Daddy 2 comes in 50.

I tried a few 50 wedges but their distances were a lot closer to the Razr X SW than I wanted, maybe because they weren't as big and chunky and forgiving, I'm not sure. I ended up with a 47 degree Scratch wedge that fits in really well for me. It's also possibly because the Razr X irons and wedges all have graphite shafts so I don't swing the gap and lob wedges with steel shafts quite as fast so the stronger loft works. The Scratch wedges I have are great and they were on clearance for like 40 bucks at RBG, I think their selection is pretty sparse at this point though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I'm trying to wrap my head around how I played yesterday. I decided to not use my driver at all just to see what would happen. On the second hole I hit my 3w ~280 yards onto the front fringe, which matches my best drives ever on that hole. Overall I averaged further off the tee than any other round ever, and out of 35ish tee shots with the 3w (27 holes, two balls per hole) I hooked 3-4 pretty badly but the rest were draws or fades of less than 10 yards. With my driver some days I'll hit 80% really well with a couple slices thrown in and sometimes I'll hit less than half my drives well and be missing both ways. I suppose some range time and more rounds are called for to see how repeatable this is. It just blows me away that I was hitting to the same parts of the course as I do when I make great contact with my driver. Part of it could be the higher temperature and harder fairways but that couldn't have been the only factor.

Oh and some of you may be interested in the numbers from the Trackman Combine which was posted a few days ago.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 5, 2014

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Played the front nine at my home course twice yesterday, +5 each time. Played again today and was 5 over on the front and like 10 over on the back. Haven't had that many fat/shanked shots in a couple months which was pretty disheartening. Still hitting the 3w really well off the tee at least and putting pretty well. Monday or Tuesday I'll have my driver shaft cut down and regripped which I'm looking forward to. I'm pretty sure that I still won't be using it regularly until I go and get some lessons though. The closest place that uses flightscope/trackman is like an hour away which I'd prefer but I'll probably try a local place first once or twice and see if they can help.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I probably use my 58 around the green more than I should, but I've started to try the same shots with other clubs as well to try and get a better feel for them. I also just ordered a 52 degree vokey on ebay since I hate my sand wedge that came with my iron set. I have Scratch gap and lob wedges and the big fat chunky sand wedge just doesn't look right when it's next to the ball. There are two par 3s and a lot of approach shots on my home course where I've been hitting easy gap wedges instead of being able to take a full swing with a sand wedge and I've been getting poor results.

I don't think I'm going to reach my goal of 100 rounds of golf this year unless we have a freaky warm November but considering I went from ~15 rounds last year and 1-2 a year before that, playing 65ish so far this year has been pretty cool.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I probably dropped my score by 5 shots per round on average this year by using my driver less often. Lately I've been using it more since I had the shaft shortened an inch and have spent time tweaking some things that keeps me from slicing unless I get really careless, but there are still plenty of holes that I never use it just because the risk isn't worth it.

The Vokey SM4 sand wedge I got used on ebay (it had some small scratches but the grooves were still pristine) has been a great purchase. I don't know if it's just mental or what but it seems to generate more spin than my Scratch gap and lob wedges even though they have more pronounced milling. Even when I hit a ball a bit thin with the sm4 the ball still tends to bounce once and stop rather than roll out over the back of the green. I hit one about 100 yards yesterday where I doubt the ball got more than 25 feet in the air and I figured I'd be off the back of the green for sure... It ended up sitting 4 feet past the pitch mark on the green, pin high. I've been intentionally leaving myself ~100 yards in on holes since I got it and I've had more short and mid length birdie putts than ever. I've been using it for chipping around the green too and being able to throw it a few feet short of the pin and stop is awesome.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 19, 2014

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Played nine yesterday and decided to hit driver on the par 4/5s instead of laying up with a 5i or 6i like I have been lately and it was my best day off the tee ever. Unfortunately my approaches and putting were lacking so I called it quits after 9 with one birdie.

I really need to work on hitting down on the ball more with my irons and wedges. When I tee the ball up a tiny bit and hit an iron, I get a really nice high flight and can hit it straight or with a draw very consistently. But from the rough or even with a good lie in the fairway it's a different story and I end up hitting a lot of shots thin and never take a real divot. It's just really frustrating being able to hit a 5i on a 200 yard par 3 and stopping the ball almost immediately and then not being able to carry it 175 over a pond on a par five because I hit it thin or don't make good contact.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

This has been a pretty cool golf week for me. Monday I tied my personal best of 79 at my home course (par 70). Tuesday I shot a 76, had zero bad tee shots and only one very poor chip. Today I had three drives of over 300 yards, including one that ended up in the rough just past the green on a level straightaway par 4, 330 yards according to my laser and confirmed on google earth. Removing the draw bias from my driver and finding a setup that I repeat every swing has been amazing, I'm swinging faster and with better control at the same time.

Sadly we're rapidly running out of golf weather here in NY. Winter is going to suck, even if I take a vacation to my uncle's country club in NC like I'm planning. For my first full year of playing this game regularly, dropping my average score by like 20 shots surpassed my goal and I'm already looking forward to making more progress next year.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The slots have polymer in them according to golfwrx's story. I'm not sure how I'd like seeing those at address but it probably wouldn't be too bad after a few rounds.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

There's also this huge thread on Hacker's Paradise with daily deals and codes. Ebay can be very very cheap though if you know what you want and are patient. The irons I'm looking at buying are like $700+ from most retailer sites and even more at actual stores, and I'm pretty sure I'll find them for $250ish on ebay before long.

The GolfWRX forum has a buy/sell/trade section that is very busy too, but getting good deals there either involves a lot of luck or a lot of haggling from what I've seen.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I am sick of how chunky my iron set looks, and the large amount of offset (callaway razr x). They were good starter clubs but I want something that is thinner with less offset, but still has some forgiveness. So far I'm looking at Nike Covert Forged and Callaway Apex sets, anyone have other possibilities? I'm hoping to figure out the set I like the most and then keep an eye out this winter to score them for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I picked up a cheap gopro knockoff a while back to film myself with and haven't gotten around to it, I was actually planning on doing it Monday or Tuesday so now I definitely will. Sadly the golf season here in NY is almost done. There's a driving range nearby that's open year round that I'll probably be visiting every week or two at least. They have a couple nice indoor simulators too that I'm tempted to try since I've never gotten accurate spin numbers or things like that for myself.

• Locked thread