Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huskers
May 9, 2009
Once the solvent dries, not much that you can do, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskers
May 9, 2009
I think Phil really changed after the 2002 US Open at Bethpage. I was there all week, got autographs from Phil, Sergio, Vijay, Ernie.. all the big names back then, but Tiger wouldn't even make eye contact or acknowledge anyone all week.

My dad brother and I were had these special corporate passes, and we were watching Tiger putt over on a small corner of a practice green really late, like almost dark on a Tues or Wed night. We didn't bother him, say a word or anything, and we were the only ones there, no press no cameras. I'm like 12, my brother is 7 and he just walked off, wouldn't even look at us.

Anyway Tiger was such a grumpy rear end in a top hat all week that everyone really jumped on the Phil bandwagon, if only to just piss Tiger off. The 17th was a par 3, kinda like the 16th at Phoenix but much smaller scale. It was pretty rowdy, especially for a US Open, and they were always chanting and sang Happy Birthday to Phil, it was pretty fun.
And I don't have a link to it (phone post), but if you watch Tiger sink his putt on 18, he gives this really intense kinda teeth gritted fist pump into the air. My dad and I have always thought he was giving a big middle finger to the crowd.

Phil wasn't super friendly or anything, he did at least smile alot, nodded to fans, signed a little. But I think he really enjoyed the support and since then has made more of an effort to the fans each week.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

SpeedyCow posted:

Also I saw a new R1 at the shop with a 999.99 sticker. They had to be joking!

Golfsmith just puts that on their demos.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Played my second round of the year. It was cold and windy all morning started out ~15mph on the front but it was gusting pretty constant 30mph on the back.

Played pretty well considering, our course is all dead bermuda right now, made for some really tough, tight lies. I wasted about 4 shots on missed pitches/chips. Only had one bad hole where I drove it through the dogleg on 16, my pitch out caught a branch and kicked into an even worse spot, made a tough 12 footer to save the 6. My putter was hot all round, made a lot of clutch par saves. Practiced quite a bit indoors this winter and reread Stockon's book a few weeks ago, that always makes me putt better. Hit a few irons thin that were on great lines. Drove the ball fairly well, 3 of the missed fairways were only a few feet off line. Can't wait for the weather to warm up and the grass to start growing.

I'm really happy with my bag right now, love the new driver and reshafted 3 wood over the winter. Don't think I'll be making any changes this year. I wish I could get out and play more, and/or get some tournament rounds in, but I don't think that's in the card at the moment. Ah well, playing once in a week or two isn't so bad.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

zinc68 posted:

As much of a Nike fanboy as I am, I didn't think I'd like it because of the color and cavity, but it looks pretty nice in person and plays great. I think I'll be buying one too once I can try the tour version (slightly smaller head should slightly raise swing speed, and slightly lower spin)

Yeah it's funny I thought the red on the covert and the stripes on the R1 would be annoying and/or distracting, but I never even noticed them. Funny how the mind works. 913 still gave me the best numbers though.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

While we're talking about clothes, can anyone recommend fitted shirts? Most of the stuff they sell at Dicks/Golf Galaxy/whatever is for fatty fat fats. I want poo poo that's fitted like you see the guys on Tour wearing. I'm 5'9", 155lbs. and these shirts with huge billowy sleeves and whatnot just don't work for me. I'm always loving with the sleeves ala Tiger Woods back in the day before every shot.

My brother is that size, he wears Adidas smalls. I think a lot of their recent stuff must be slimmer, because I have a few older mediums that are like tents.

I've had good luck at Nordstrom rack before, got six or so really nice dri-fit slim fitting Nike's 2-3 years ago and haven't really worn anything else.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

SpeedyCow posted:

I own a lot of golf hats. Like 20 and counting, plus 6 retired ones.

Heh, me too. I always get a hat from any tourney and I have at least 10 diff titleist hats, a few Scotty Cameron hats, and some other random ones.

Silly thing is I always seem to wear the same 2 or 3 titleist hats.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

zinc68 posted:

Couldn't let you guys have all the buying fun this week. Picked up another set of blades. My collection now consists of Titleist 681, Mizuno Mp33, and now a set of Titleist 690mb with prject X 6.0 shafts. Just hit them inside so far, but they feel niiiiice, love the shafts so far. If it ever warms up here in Siber... Minnesota, I'll maybe even get to play a few rounds with them.

I still game 690mbs with 6.5s, great buy.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Not if he keeps missing fairways. Also Augusta doesn't favor his new fade.

If he keeps putting lights out, sure, but he wouldn't be my pick to win.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't wait for Thursday!

The Masters is in 3 Thursdays

vvv
e: yeah I'm dumb, Houston > SA > Masters

Huskers fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 26, 2013

Huskers
May 9, 2009
RBZ 3woods go for 100-120 all the time on ebay/golfwrx, depending on the shaft. Not quite as common on wrx lately, I think there was a mass exodus of people unloading for the Stage2s when they came out. I've been looking to grab my brother one for his birthday, I love mine.

I've got a 712cb 2i that should hopefully be here tomorrow morning for the first good weather weekend in months. Total impulse buy, but it has a px 6.5 to match mine and I figured the cb would be a little more forgiving. If I like the strategy and style, I'm gonna be on the prowl for one of those Titleist driving irons--now those things are nice looking. http://bit.ly/RUeKKD We'll see how it works out.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Yeah you just gotta do whatever feels best to you.

I have a friend who batted lefty in HS and college, but he golfs right handed and putts left handed. (e: ^^^ I guess like Gretzky, I'd never heard that, I'll have to tell him) No real right answer, but right handed clubs are going to be easier to find, new or used, as mentioned.

In other news my 2i showed up today, I don't think it saw much action from the previous owner, very minty. Should be a fun experiment.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
I think the easiest way to get more roll would be reducing the loft. Either hooding the wedge with more forward lean or switch to a pw or 9i.

I'm a Stockton fan, so I don't like the wrists coming into play on running chips, too much that can go wrong.

Play around with where you have it in your stance too. You can hit any shot you want with the same simple swing by adjusting loft and/or stance.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Played a pretty solid round early this morning. I hadn't hit the range at all these last 2 weeks because my elbow was a little cranky. Nothing to note really on the front. The pins were in a different position than we usually play on the weekends and the greens were sanded last week so they were still pretty slow, so I misread/misjudged a few putts, made a few par saves.

Got up and down from greenside bunker for birdie on 6. Drove it behind a tree on 9, punched it up to greenside bunker but didn't make the 12 footer. Left a 6 foot birdie putt short on 10, then I got on a little roll. Bombed my drive on 12, put a 145 yd PW pin high but left the eagle putt low. Hit a great shot on 12 but a hard bounce downwind put me over the green and shortsided with a down hill lie, missed the comebacker. Got up and down from greenside again on 13 for birdie. Bombed another on 14, drove the green, bottom tier--pin was on the top, I felt good just to 2 putt that one.

The wind really started gusting on 15 ~35mph, got my drive up in the breeze and blew it way right, but so far right that I had a shot over the trees, got pretty lucky, 2 putted for par. 16 is a left turn dogleg and was playing downwind, hit a great high 3 wood to cut the corner ~15yds short of the green, pitched up and tapped in for birdie. I was long with a 7i downwind (225 to the back) on 17, but made a good lag putt from the fringe. The wind was really crazy at this point, my ball was moving around on the tee. I'm usually around the green on 18 with driver (that yardage isn't right, the hole was remodeled last year) but into the wind I drove it into the fairway bunker 110 yards out, so that's how hard the wind was blowing. Clubbed up 2, hit a sweet 9i out of the bunker all over the pin, but it really spun into the wind, hit the false front and rolled back into the greenside bunker. Missed the 8 footer for 69.

All the 4i on the scorecard are actually 2i, I just haven't changed the settings. I'm really loving it so far, it's great on the shorter holes and doglegs that I get in trouble with driver or 3w driving it through the fairways or out driving my wedges. I hit it ~245ish pretty easily, hit a few hard lower draws ~265. I'm really hitting my 9/pw sweet so I was trying to get good numbers for approach shots. Of course, I didn't really convert on any of those shorter putts, but I got on a roll blasting driver on the back. This game...

I'm not usually one to talk about my play, but it's kinda nice to go back hole by hole and think about what I did well, not well, what I would do differently. Hope it's not too boring.

By the way, whichever Uniqlo exec that decided to sign Scott last week should be getting a huge bonus, great timing on that one. Supposed to be a golf polo coming out mid April from them, I'm interested to see what that looks like.

AND he puts the 913 in the bag for the first time...wins the Masters. Coincidence? I think not! Titleist's gotta be loving that.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

Huskers - That's one hell of a round. Reading about your 2i exploits elicit a strange reaction in me. It's a mixture of "Man, I don't have a 2i, but I might want one" and "Why would anyone want a 2i with so many better options for your game out there?" EXCELLENT driving round.

Yeah the 2i has been interesting. My driving is the strongest part of my game and I'm very confident with it, but being long can be a disadvantage sometimes. All 4 par 5s at our course are more or less straight, so it's bombs away there and I can usually take advantage. But the par 4s: 4 have doglegs, 1 creek layup and 2 you can run into steep downhill lies. It's tough because over the years I have brute forced my way past all those holes, so in my mind I know I can do it, I've hit the shots before. But they're all tough shots and certainly low percentage. A 3 wood leaves me on the downslopes for sure, brings bunkers into play on 2 holes and sometimes I can still drive it through the doglegs. Laying back with the 2i leaves me at most an 8i and mostly 9/pw and takes all that out of play. It is definitely more fun to hit driver though :twisted:.

My driver is 7.75, 3w 14.5, and I have a 18.5 hybrid and now the 2i. The hybrid is great but I hit it really high, which is nice for approach shots but I've never really liked it off the tee. I hit the 2i slightly further, but with a much more penetrating flight--great for windy days. The 2i is also surprisingly easy to hit, I've missed a few on the range, but even hitting it a little thin it will roll out 225ish.

And yeah the RBZs are crazy long, I've been gaming the 1st gen tour 3 wood and 18.5 hybrid since last summer, I don't know that I'll ever replace them.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

shyduck posted:

I bought a Super Stroke grip for my backup putter just out of curiosity, and I'm diggin' it. I got their midsize, and I totally see why people like it. Locks the wrists, and is comfy to hold.

I've been using the jumbo one for ~3 years now, took a little getting used to, but I wouldn't (and probably couldn't) trade it for anything.

Re Putting Practice: One thing I do (from Pelz or Stockton, can't remember) is don't putt to a cup. Put down a tee, ball marker, whatever. This makes you focus on really zoning in on your target and removes the mental negative of seeing the ball miss (if it does). Helps you practice making a good rolls and not worrying about the result. It's uncanny how often you can hit a small target like a tee, then miss a 4.25" cup. The key is making yourself not care, or to ignore the cup. For lag putting I love throwing a few balls down and then putting to the fringe.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
TrueLinks run really wide, I've got a pair of the newer Sensei and highly recommend them. They're very minimalist/barefoot though--something I like, but not for everyone. Also not waterproof, which might matter. The other versions are more normal fitting, but uglier, imo.

Depending on how wide Footjoy is really the only other option, I think the Sports, dry joys and E comforts come in X wide. Nike, Adidas, Asics etc wides aren't very wide in my experience.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

shyduck posted:

How do I stop sucking at bunker play?

Namely chipping from greenside bunkers, I just can't seem to figure out how much club to put down, as if I feel like I'm gonna launch it over the green. I usually end up skulling it too.

Fairway bunkers have been fine because I can just take a full rip, but I can't seem to get this figured out.

If you get the golf channel, Bernhard Langer did a really good Playing Lessons with the Pros about 5-6 weeks ago. The whole thing was on green side bunker play. Try to catch a rerun of it if you can, or maybe golf channel streams that stuff now, not sure.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Timbo posted:

Just got done with the first of my 15 Golftec lessons. Being in Houston it helps not sweating your rear end off when trying to learn. Has anyone else used their program?

Sorry if it has been asked before but what digital score card program are you guys using. I need to get a base line measurement when I play the next time.

Golfshot has a free scorecard app, the GPS version is $25.

I bought my dad ~5 lessons a few years ago, he liked it okay. His main gripe was that he's a tall 55 year old guy and they kept comparing his swing to like Ernie or Hale Irwin for him to mimic--he's just not built or flexible enough to move that way anymore. They really emphasized getting him to turn more. I think it was positive overall, but he didn't sign up for anymore lessons after the gift was out and I think he would have if he really liked it. Also, goes without saying that it's really dependent on your coach, I don't think he ever really connected with his.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
My Bag didn't change much:

913 D3 7.75* D+ 7X Flex
913Fd 15* Tour AD BB 8X
RBZ 18.5* Hybrid RIP Beta 8X
712U 2i PX 6.5
690 MB irons PX 6.5
54, 60 Vokey TVD M grinds w/ Nippon blue x
Newport 2 w/ super stroke
Ping Hoofer
Truelinks sensei
ProV1x

Played a full season with the 913 D3 and I still love it. Got a good deal on the 3 wood this summer on golfwrx, same with the tvd vokeys. I rotate out the hybrid and 2 or 3 irons depending on the course and how I'm hitting them. I don't really foresee any changes to come (but I say that every year), though 714 MBs would be tempting if I find a good deal.

Huskers fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 10, 2014

Huskers
May 9, 2009
That's a really good price on the 712s. Have you hit the x100s before? I've always been a rifle / PX guy myself.

The 680s will always hold their value pretty well, and the 712s may start dropping even further, but lower than $350, with xstiffs--maybe not.

I thought that labor cost looked a little high, but looking around, it does seem about right. I've been lucky on that front, my Dad has been tinkering in club making for ~20 years, so I've learned to do everything myself, and his garage is stocked with everything to open a repair shop.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Ah I thought I recognized it, the white threw me off, mine was silver with red graphics. I had a couple of Epics in a hybrid and 3 wood a few years ago, they're still in my backup set, very solid shaft.

It looks a lot like the Fubukis, but the graphic is a little different. Still, good looking combo.

Huskers fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 12, 2014

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Wow I was disappointed that Tiger wasn't playing this week but today was pretty entertaining. Adam Scott ties the course record and Bubba shoots 11 over and withdraws because of allergies

Haha, I had Bubba starting and Adam Scott on my bench for my fantasy pool this week...only a 21 shot difference.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

ironlung posted:

Have any of you guys regripped your own clubs? I'm thinking about just paying someone to do it since I have no place in my apartment where I can make a mess, plus I don't own a vice grip.

Yeah regripping is very simple to do, but I wouldn't do it if I lived in an apartment.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyone have any good bunker out instruction videos? I'm playing whistling straits and it's by far the worst part of my game.

About a year ago there was a Playing Lessons with the Pros(?)by Bernhard Langer. The whole hour was on different sand shots and it was probably the best pro lesson I'd ever seen. I don't have any links to it or anything and I don't know what golf channel does for streaming or old content backlogs, but see if you can find that or maybe some YouTube clips from it--it was great.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

I keep Golfshot GPS going while I utilize my Bushnell Tour V3. Laser definitely wins out with its exact yardages to the flag, but GPS does other things more effectively, like tracking club distances and showing distances to different parts of the hole.

I've been using a new laser as well, the Leupold GX3. I just wish I would have gotten one years ago, been playing a lot better all summer and this is pretty much the only change I've made.

I'm still going to keep my GPS too. There's just enough blind shots, doglegs, uphill etc and finding the yardage to traps or hazards that make GPS still worthwhile.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Americans just don't care enough.

I don't know about that. The Euros were heavy favorites going into it, they're playing at home, and pretty much to a man had played better all summer.

Phil just barely snuck in on points with his 2nd at the PGA. The 3 captains picks hadn't played very well all year (Mahan had 1 win, but really mediocre the rest of the year). Kuchar was hot early in the year, summer not so much. Hell we're lucky that Spieth and Reed played as well as they did, you could argue they were the 2 coldest players going in. I really would have liked to see the captains picks a week or 2 later. I think you'd have seen Kirk and Horschel on the team instead of Simpson and Mahan or Keegan (I think Phil / Fowler would have been a fine pairing).

But honestly I think it's much ado about nothing. I don't think any Coach/Manager/System would have won the Ryder Cup, Europe had the better players on their home soil--pretty tough to overcome. The US does need to figure out something with the alternate shot though--that was painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskers
May 9, 2009

BCRock posted:

It showed up this morning, so I set it up and messed around with it today.

Thanks for the writeup. I saw these on a best golf gift list somewhere and was definitely curious about them.

(Your dog was the best part though)

• Locked thread