Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Just watched the final round at the Phoenix Open and it was the first time I've ever seen armed Police in the crowd. Is this a new thing that the PGA has implemented or is it a Phoenix thing? I know they are probably the "rowdiest" crowd on the tour, but it seems a bit excessive. I wonder if they would arrest someone if they didn't put their phone away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I've been to the Doral Ryder Open a few times (10-15+ years ago) and a couple events when they used to play at Heron Bay. I don't remember there being a heavy police presence, but I was surprised to see uniformed police acting as security when Bubba Watson was chipping near the 18th green in Phoenix. I thought that was the job of the sweet elderly people who held a white stick that said "quiet" on it. I guess that was just a different time when people acted with some class and dignity. People also didn't scream "get in the hole!" and "you da man" after every tee shot. Pre 9/11 golf fan here showing his age :)

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
How do I get the best deal on golf clubs? Should I hit some irons and woods at a big name golf store and then look at ebay? Went into a Golf Galaxy and even their used sets of callaway or taylor made irons (noticeable scratches) were priced very steep.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Is anyone familiar with the Callaway X-Hot Pro Irons? I like the fact that they have a thinner topline and no offset. The price isn't that bad. Local golf store has them new for $600 4-PW with a hybrid that I guess is supposed to replace the 3 iron. Searched around ebay and I can get them for about $300-$400 (without the hybrid). Hybrid I can buy for less than $90 although I've never hit a hybrid before.

Also, what stiffness of shaft do you guys use? I always assumed that I should play with regular flex, but the guy at the store was very adamant that I use stiff. I hit a 7 iron about 170 and a driver 280.

I haven't bought any clubs in over 15 years except for a driver about 8 years ago and I'm weary of buying the first set of irons that someone recommends to me :(

Edit: Almost forgot the coolest part about the whole experience today. Lawrence Taylor was right next to me hitting his clubs asking them if they could take 2 inches off the shaft because he has long arms :3:

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 22, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Hit some Taylor Made Speedblades yesterday. Hit them well, but not my favorite looking iron at address and they feel a little on the longer side. He told me that if I bought them that I would need to get them fitted (for free!) because they are a couple of degrees upright. Have you guys had your irons fitted for you? I was told that buying them off the rack they are going to be upright because most golfers don't come from the inside on impact. Any info on that?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
What can you guys tell me about 3 woods and 3 iron replacements? I want a 3 wood that has a low profile that looks good at address and can hit it off the deck. I'm looking for roughly the same thing with a 3 iron hybrid.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Wanted to tell you guys about an experience I had at Dick's Sporting Goods. Went in there to hit some irons and finally pull the trigger on buying. I saw online that they had the Burner 2.0's new for $300 and I wanted to check out their selection. Vacant department and the lights are off in the test swing area. Finally spot an employee after 20 minutes and I ask him for some help. Long story short, he tells me I have the wrong guy and he doesn't know if there is anyone in the department to help me. He gets on the walkie talkie after some nudging and I finally find someone whom I tell I want to get a driver re-gripped and I want to hit some irons and I ask if he can help me. He says yes. He re-grips the club just fine, but has absolutely no knowledge about anything. I tell him I want to buy some irons and ask if I can test hit a couple sets. He pulls them off the rack with the plastic still on and wraps the faces up in masking tape. That really doesn't help with the feel and he also "doesn't know" how to turn on the swing simulator. I then asked about fitting the clubs and the guy looked at me like :what: Anyway, ended up buying a carry bag and I just finished giving them a 1/10 on their online survey. Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? I told them I'd like a reply in regards to my complaint. What do big stores like that do in these cases?

Sorry about content and length of my post. Angry white guy here who rushed out of work and really had his heart set on buying stuff today :(

Edit: Also took them 30 minutes to find a price for the carry bag because the bar code would not scan properly. I explained in their survey all of these instances in detail.

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 29, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Spent about 3.5 hours on the range and chipping/putting area and banged about 160 balls sans glove. I've been watching some old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf and I'm determined to play with no glove like my favorite player since I was a kid, Freddy Couples :3: I was going to play a round as well, but I kind of opened a blister on my left hand just off center on the meaty part of my pointer finger that was starting to really bother me. The rest of my calluses are on the fleshy part of my left hand just below the the pinky, ring, and middle finger. Also, the proud owner of some brand new speedblade irons! :dance:

Anyway, I need to get some lessons. It's one thing to just "bomb" shots into a simulator off a mat and totally another thing to consistently hit the ball pure off a soft dirt-y lie on a range with a target in mind. I made sure not to be too hard on myself as I've been to the range about a dozen times in the last 7 years (since my last round) although I have hit shots in simulators 3-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. Hit about 60%-65% of my irons pure although I couldn't figure out the yardages to the markers because it's a grass range and the tee boxes vary. On top of that, the range is water with floating colored buoys. Also, I can finally hit a 4 iron :toot:

Now I need a new 50, 55, and 60-something degree wedge. Need a 3 wood and a 3 iron hybrid as well. Also a putter. While I'm at it, I probably should buy a new driver or at least hit mine against some newer drivers. I have a KZG Gemini 460 from about 2006 that I've kept in my trunk so long in the South Florida heat that the grip melted. I had it regripped, but I'm curious if there was any other damage to the club, so I'll have to check that out.

Golf was my favorite thing in the world when I was a pre-teen/teen and I have fallen back in love! Feels pretty good that I know I can play as much as possible during the "winter" :smug:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
After hitting balls for the last couple days without a glove I now have a painful reminder that my grip is not strong enough (based on location of some blisters). So, I've spent probably 3-4 hours today watching every single video on YouTube pertaining to the proper grip. Bought a glove and hit another 100 balls today and with a proper grip it feels like I'm creating effortless lag on my downswing and when I'm hitting the ball pure I'm loving the shape on my irons. Even laid some irons down on the range for alignment purposes which I never do even though I have had serious issues with that ever since I began playing golf. After a week or so of hitting balls everyday I'd like to post a video of myself down the line and front on with some 6 irons to see what you all think. I've never taken a lesson before and I can't really afford to drop $500+ in the next few weeks to have pro lessons. In fact, I have absolutely no idea what my swing looks like from the outside because I've never had it recorded before.

Do any of you guys have videos of your swings? I'd really like to see them. I am in no position to critique or offer much advice, but I'm just curious :3:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Holy poo poo, awesome swing. What did you shoot out there? Beautiful course. I live in Florida as well, but Ft. Lauderdale area.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
My shoulders feet and hips feel like an unfolded lawn chair at address. I've watched a bunch of tour pros down the line and plenty of them have open/closed feet at address. Same goes with their shoulders. How important is alignment?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
So, I've been fiddling with my grip for days. I've watched every youtube video about the proper grip. Looked at my grip in the mirror. Made sure the "V's" were pointing towards my right shoulder, checked to see if I could see two knuckles on my left hand at address, etc... So, I was at the range and the head pro was out there, so I basically just walked up to him and asked him if he could look at my grip and tell me what he thinks. He immediately told me that it's too strong. He told me that I should grip it with my left hand so that my left thumb is going down the center of the grip. Everything I've seen has told me that my left thumb should be right of center :confused:

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 6, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Any of you club hoarders have any 50, 54, or 58 degree wedges you are looking to get rid of? I have a 45 degree PW and I want three more wedges. I always used the same 52 dual wedge for chipping, pitching, and sand play so I'm not even exactly sure what I should get. So many lofts :psyduck:

Edit: Just picked up a Rocketballz Stage 2 3 wood from Golf Galaxy yesterday and I was really excited to go to the range this morning, but it's raining :(

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 9, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I hit my 52 like 120, but I don't really like how it plays around the green. It could be the fact that it's a $40 bargain wedge that is over 10 years old. I figure I'll replace that with a 50 since my PW is lofted so strong. Then a 54 so I can hit those bump and run shots around the green that take a hop or two and bite. Finally, the 58 for sand play and lob shots. Like I said I have played with pretty much one wedge my entire life, so I'm not even sure what "modern" wedges are supposed to do.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I went to my local golf shop and bought a new putter and ended up hitting two drives on their trackman with a little bit of analysis. Anyway, I was talking it up for about 10 minutes with the owner of the place and I was discussing with him that I've become addicted to golf recently and I've been going to the range about 5 times a week. I told him I want to improve and was curious about lessons. He does lessons in the store using trackman, but he is also a golf pro at a local golf course. I asked him if it was better to get lessons out on a range because you can actually see the ball flight and he told me he thinks it is better in the store because of all the numbers he can see that may not be apparent at the range. He told me to hit a drive on the trackman just so he can show me what he's talking about. He said "I know you're not warmed up and you have no practice swings, but just hit one so I can show you all the numbers I'm talking about."

I concentrate on making solid contact and my swing speed is 98 mph. Smash factor 1.35. Carry 225, full distance a couple yards short of 250. 0 yards off center, slight draw. He is mildly impressed. He asks if I want to see the video and I say "Yea, I've never seen my swing before." I have to hit another one though to see the video of the first one or something like that. Next swing 100 mph, 0 yards off center line, slight draw. Pretty much the exact same swing, but a couple yards longer. He shows me the video and there were a couple problems I saw immediately. First is my angle of attack. It was descending at about 10 degrees at impact. I know that the ideal angle is a couple degrees upward. That gives me way too much spin on my drives at about 4,000 rpm. Secondly, my hips clear too late. It looks like my weight transfer is alright as my right foot is on it's toe at impact, but I haven't cleared my hips near enough. The instructor told me I am hanging back, but "I do a lot of things right." Anyway, I made an appointment for a lesson in the store next week. Curious if any of you guys have ever had the same sort of issues in your swing or know of any tips or drills to help with clearing your hips at impact. I've searched the web and I found a ton of poo poo. I even found one website that told me that I could hit the ball 350 yards if I buy their "lightning hips movement device"! :shepspends:

tl;dr: Give me tips or drills on clearing your hips through impact.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
So, I was hitting on the range yesterday when the club pro came and watched me hit about 50 balls. We talked about everything from my swing to non-golf related things. He said he really likes my swing, but my right arm is getting "disconnected" at the top. He said that it's hard to explain, but if he got me on film it would be easier to show me. Is this a term for a common swing flaw? I have no idea what he's talking about. I don't chicken wing my right elbow :confused:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Maybe that's what he was referring to. Anyway, this is the same guy who told me three weeks ago that my grip was too strong and when he was watching me on the range he told me that my grip is good. He is a nice enough guy and he is out on the range instructing a ton of high handicappers, but I get the feeling that he is just trying to sell me on an instruction package which is like $500+. He's already mentioned it once and he does this thing where he gives me some advice, but ends it with "it's hard to explain, if I got you on video it would be easier to show you" thing. I have a lesson coming up with another guy on a trackman which isn't cheap, but I like the guy more.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

To add to this, your elbow could be sticking out, what's referred to as a flying elbow. The typical drill to work on this is to hold a headcover under your right armpit to keep your elbow connected to your torso.

Yea, this seems accurate, but where is your right arm supposed to be at the top of the swing? I watch a ton of swing videos and such and it looks to me that their right arm is disconnected from their body at the top and their arm is making like a right angle sort of thing. Could you show me a picture or something, maybe it is just not clicking for me?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Picked up a 58 degree Cleveland 588 forged wedge. It's the one that says REG 588 on the back. I've only had it for two days and haven't played it from the sand yet, but it looks fantastic.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Saw my swing for the first time on camera and holy poo poo :what:

It is a loving mess. I shoot in the low 80's right now, but I need a total overhaul. I already had a short session with one instructor, but I'm looking for a new one. On the plus side I did a "playing lesson" with the club pro because his buddies were in town and he told me I was invited if I wanted to play as the 4th. Outdrove him on nearly every hole and probably shot a better score than him. Don't know his score because he and his buddies were playing skins.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Halo14 posted:

^^ Do you have the video of your swing so we can see?

View at your own risk!!!!

This is from today and I am hitting a 7 iron. I am aiming at the red flag that is just to the left of the white flag in front of me. It can be seen between right the "C" and "A" in "Carolina" that you see at the end of the range. These were two shots that I hit back to back and both were pretty pure for me. They flew about 155-160 yards on target and I am using range balls which I was told by the club pro that go about 90% of your normal golf ball. My swing is all kinds of hosed up, but up until two days I never had a pro look at my swing or give me any lessons.

My "lesson" two days ago amounted to the pro filming my swing and telling me about 20 things that I do wrong. This is not my favorite type of instruction, as I think the future of golf instruction is going to be geared more towards trackman and path and angle of attack (what happens at impact). Not to say that he was wrong about all of his critiques, but there are all kinds of unorthodox swings that make up good golfers. Anyway, this is me after a month of playing 5 times a week after not picking up a club in close to 10 years. I am shooting in the mid to low 80's and I feel like if I improve my chipping and putting I could easily shoot in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9OfBEWPBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Qi5cPoJCg

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Wow, absolutely bombed! I really like your posture and your backswing and transition look spot on. Your club face looks perfect at the top. I'm currently working on my posture, I still look a bit slouched.

Also, from the look at your impact it looks like you hit it a bit on the toe. How fast are you swinging your driver, like 120?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Halo14 posted:

New video of Tigers swing > https://vine.co/v/OvBAYuKZrXA

So excited to see Tiger again! :3:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Do any of you guys game the SLDR or SLDR S? Golf Galaxy and Dick's are both doing the buy an SLDR S and get a free rescue or fairway wood for $330. I'm in the market for a 19 degree hybrid and a new driver, so it seems like a pretty good deal. I know that the S version is a different color and you can't adjust the loft and face angle, but do any of you have personal experience with either club? Is the S noticeable worse in any way? I've read a couple reviews on Google and it's been a mixed bag.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Thanks. Do you play it? If you do, what loft are you using? I'm sure this is a common thing, but I don't love the idea of playing a driver with over 10.5 degrees of loft.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

zinc68 posted:

Honestly, if you are going to drop a few hundo on a new driver, it really is worth going somewhere local and getting fit for X driver with XX shaft. What works for Kameh, or me, or anyone else will most likely not work for you.

I totally agree, but unfortunately it will cost twice as much. I think my local pro shop has the SLDR for around $350 and I wouldn't even bother trying to get fit at Dicks or Golf Galaxy because the kid fitting you has no idea what he's doing. Last time I went to Dicks to look at clubs the kid didn't know how to turn on the shot simulator.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

sarehu posted:

Welp, today, I hit my tee-shot on the first hole an inch in-bounds, with the O.B. stake interfering with my backswing, then hit my second O.B., hit my third to 30 feet, and then holed the putt from there, for a birdie!

(I played in my first scramble today.) With 2-person teams, 35%+15% group handicap, and me, a 9.5 handicap, being paired with somebody I met on Friday, who turned out to be a +3! Our group handicap was 0. We ended up shooting a 63, coming in 2nd (net score) out of 8 teams in our flight. I was worried it would be like the time I played bughouse with a FIDE master on my side, who ended up just telling me what moves to make. But no, of our nine birdies, five of them came on my approach shots, and three were by my draining long-range putts (which is luck, of course).

My best shot was an approach from 222 yards, over water, on the 10th (at Shoreline GC), after he hit a three-wood and ended up maybe 18 feet behind the hole on the fringe, I hit a 3-iron inside his ball. Maybe it would have been a "heroic" 3-iron if he hadn't been safely across the water, or if we had made the eagle putt. But we both missed the eagle putt, so it didn't really help. I also knocked a wedge to 5 feet on the third and 9-iron to 7 feet on the 17th, for birdies. Our worst hole was the 9th, a dogleg "par 5" where my reasonable tee-shot left us 170 out. I chunked the approach, he missed right, and then we failed to get up and down :(

All I can say about my partner is that he was really quite good. Every drive of his was reliably in the fairway or a near-miss, except the 18th, which was the worst hole, with O.B. on both sides, to put pressure on my tee-shot for (but I hit a 3-wood safely down the fairway and his ball turned out OK). I think I improved his score by 6 or 7 strokes, and he improved mine by about 20.

Awesome. I, on the other hand, played the worst golf in my life today. First tee shot I hit O.B and it was all downhill from there. By the turn I had lost 6 golf balls and I ended up throwing the 2 empty sleeves and my scorecard in the trash before teeing off on the 10th. I then pulled my tee shot O.B and it pretty much started all over again. I've played this course 3 times in the last 3 weeks and shot 85, 84, 81. Today I probably didn't break 100. I shot 51 on the front, but did have about 4-5 pars on the back. I still lost another 3-4 balls, though. This course has water in play on every hole except 2 and tons of O.B. I did play really well from 30 yards in today, though.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Omerta posted:

I have a SLDR and love it. For the love of God, don't buy one at dick's or whatever. Get one used off eBay with an upgraded shaft for like $200. A bunch of people bought them without thinking about whether they could hit a low spin forward moi driver, so it seemed like the lightly used market was great.

I got mine almost brand new for $200 like 4 months ago.

Bit the bullet and bought an SLDR 460 with a white oban kiyoshi stiff flex shaft from Ebay. Brand new and paid $234 with shipping from a seller with an over 18,000 positive rating. I don't know anything about the shaft, but I'll report back when it arrives.

Edit: With headcover and wrench

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

zinc68 posted:

It's one of the best shafts you can buy (if it is a real-deal and not a made-for) as long as it fits your swing profile.

Club just got here a couple hours ago. I was actually at a golf lesson when it arrived or else I would have hit it already. Shipped from California and it got all the way to Florida in 2 days! Is there anyway to tell if it is an authentic shaft besides the look test?

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Went to the range today and hit my new SLDR. Holy poo poo, not the sound I was expecting. I don't know why, but I was expecting a high-pitched pingy sound, but I got like a baseball bat gunshot sound. Oban Kiyoshi shaft feels great in it, too.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Speaking of chipping, I'm experimenting with using the bounce and putting the ball way back in my stance. I'm starting to get those chips that bounce once and check up hard. I had no idea how to do it until a former Hooters tour player showed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Dave_Indeed posted:

I saw Monte Scheinblum over the summer and he taught me his "deliver the bounce" method of chipping and it works really well. He said it wasn't always the best chipping method for the shot you have but it's good for everything and is really easy to master. I went from low 90's to low 80 scores after seeing him so a lot of his stuff works well for your casual golfer types.

When I first read this I had no idea who that was. However, I recently found some videos by Kevin Miyahira which led me to Monte Scheinblum. Those two guys have definitely changed the way I've looked at the golf swing. Really excited that these guys exist as I haven't been blown away by any of the instructors I've seen in person. Just curious, but what kind of stuff did Monte have you work on? Could you explain his "deliver the bounce" method because I pretty much scrapped it in my game because it was so inconsistent. What did you work on in your full swing?

I've recently been working on the proper left arm rotation on the backswing (which fixes my across the line at the top) and "moving my zipper" away from the ball to start my transition. Hit a bunch of balls in the last couple days and my ball striking has improved 10x. Funny, I've seen a few instructors and their "fix" to my across the line at the top was "swing shorter." None of them were keen to proper left arm rotation which automatically shortened my backswing and put my club at a more down the line position at the top.

• Locked thread