Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Hurray for new thread! Got my first round of the year in on Saturday, shot an 82. Pretty decent for 0 warmup and having not played or swung a club since Thanksgiving. I've been putting off upgrading clubs for a little while now, originally I was only going to upgrade my driver and 3wood, but I think I might snag some new irons for the new season too.

Also might buy my first golf membership! Local course I play from time to time that I consider one of the best public courses in the Charlotte area is only $1100 a year which I didn't know about. Normally a spring/summer/fall round is $60-80 so the cost is worth it, plus its free range balls too. Should be a good 2013 season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Scrapez posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Nike SQ Machspeed Round driver?

I picked one up to give it a try. At $86 for a new one, if I don't like it I figure I can sell it used and recoup a lot of that. I'm currently using a Taylormade 330cc from circa 1992.

I've hit one at Golf Galaxy, in the simulator. Felt OK though the factory stiff shaft wasn't really up to par with what I am used to, also a nice looking club. If you like it, play it. If it doesn't feel right sell it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Don't remember if this was ever talked about in the last thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-__DbWnes Bubba is just such an unconventional golfer on and off the course it's hilarious and awesome.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

Are you talking about his posture and swing or the fact that his caddie is holding his ball on the tee? Either way Bubba rules.

Is he wearing an Oakley shirt there? I thought he was a Travis Mathew guy?

He just picked up Oakley as a sponsor at the start of the year.

He's doing a charity auction via Ebay where you can bid to play a round with him and apparently the auction winner gets a fitted set of ping clubs and swag and also 1,000 dollars in Oakley golf apparel. I don't see the specifics, but that's what he said during an interview after round 1/2 on Monday.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Yikes! Is that her bone at the tip?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I think we all saw Rory going to Nike, but as someone who basically has a mix of Tiger's and Rory's clubs from their time with Titleist, I'm left with no equipment identity anymore. I play only a few times a year these days so I won't be replacing my equipment anytime soon (and yes, playing forged blades does make your dick feel bigger :v: ), but now the only person still playing a bag like mine is Adam Scott, and I can't get excited about someone who putts with a broomstick. :colbert:

Their new commercial is pretty great though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NCDYjHtEcU

":smug: is that your real hair?"

So I've got the new club itch more than normal, has anyone hit the new rocket bladez? I hit them over the weekend when I went to try out an R1 driver and they are pretty drat nice. The R1 was pretty drat nice also, I was a big fan of the RBZ and R11 drivers and yet they've improved on those with the R1 somehow. On the other hand the new Nike Covert coming out looks pretty awesome as well.

I'd been planning on getting a new driver in February or so, but I may end up with all new gear at this rate.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 15, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

zinc68 posted:

I hit the new RocketBladez Tour a few weeks ago at GolfGalaxy on their launch monitor. I hit the 6iron head to head vs my current Mp-33 , Callaway X-Prototype Tour, Nike Vr Pro blade, and 712 MB. The Rocketbladez had a consistent 6-7mph ball speed advantage and about 12yds longer. They do not look that bad at address, not TOO thick (thinner than AP2 topline), but I hate the look of the cavity on them. Performance wise they had a higer ball speed, AND higher traj than any of the other clubs, which was surprising considering that the Rocketbladez have a stronger loft than the other clubs. I do not know how much of that was the shaft of the irons and how much was in the heads, but the TM was impressive. They so sound clickyish compared to the smooth thud/crack that the blades give you.

** I know the numbers were not messed with when I was using the TM club as I was the only one using the launch monitor at the time, no employees were around.

That was pretty much my impression too. I have a feeling I am going to get up with those and an R1. Unless I can get an R11s for ridiculously cheap compared to the R1.

edit: forgot the RBZ Stage2 was coming out too, maybe I'll wait to hit that instead.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 15, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ironlung posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on traveling with golf clubs? Seems like it might be more convenient as well as cost effective to rent clubs instead of paying extra baggage fees, lugging clubs around, etc. not to mention the risk of damage/loss.

I have a $100 dollar hard carry case that I got from Dick's and it's worked well the few times I've used it. Honestly I'd worry more about baggage handlers and security messing things up. I've know people to magically lose expensive drivers and wedges, golf balls go missing. Sometimes clubs show up bent or broken because they just throw the poo poo around. As for fees and such, it really depends on the airline. I generally flight US Airways and usually always direct flights if I can help it. I don't mind paying $25 dollars for it. I've shipped my clubs via FedEx before too and that wasn't super expensive either. I'd much rather pay an extra 15-20 to use my own clubs vs rentals. Unless you're at some nice course where you can rent awesome clubs or something, but there aren't many of those.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I just want to marry a cute girl who's good at golf and loves the NFL and good TV and is also a lawyer, doctor, or academic.

Is that so much to ask? :negative:

I dated a girl like this. Aside from golf, football, looking pretty and having intelligent conversations she was extremely reserved and boring. I still play golf with her though, she grew up playing in a women's league near Buffalo with her mom and she's decent enough to where it's fun, but not competitive at all.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone here use a Garmin S3 or something similar (watch gps)? I have a handheld SonoCaddie, but it's not very good from what I can tell, only used it once and it was a bout the same as using Golf Logix, actually golf logix might have been better. However, I've heard good things about the garmin watches as far as accuracy goes and having it right on my wrist seems pretty nice. I was also considering view range finders, but they don't really work well beyond 200 yards afaik.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

two cents

Yeah, my only reasoning for the watch is because I'd actually use it. When I bought the Sonocaddie I used it once and then never really remembered to bring it with me. When I use golf logix I only remember to check it when I am sitting on a tee box waiting on a par 3. Laser is obviously going to be the most accurate, I just feel like I'd forget it was in my bag a lot.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnac posted:

Has anyone else ordered from Global Golf?

I ordered a new(to me) 3 and 5 wood from them(Adams Speedline LP if anyone cares) and it cost me $50 each for "mint" clubs. These things honestly don't look like they've ever touched a golf ball. I couldn't be happier with what I got for what I paid. Yeah they're a slightly older model, but I'm actually replacing my Adams Speedline Fast 10 so it's a year, year and a half newer than what I had and has VELOCITY SLOT TECHNOLOGY, whatever that may mean. Got them in two days in NJ, they ship from NC, so all in all it seemed like a great deal.

I've never placed an order with them, but I've used their pricing to negotiate at a local store a few times. Global Golf is based out of Raleigh/Durham area and I live in Charlotte and the place I usually buy stuff at tries to be competitive with them. I actually priced out all the new clubs I want for this season on Global Golf and plan on bringing it to my local place to see if they can beat it. Some of the prices on there are really low though especially for drivers.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I hit Nike irons and I like them well enough. Actually my favorite club is a Nike 3H because I can easily control the distances from 190 up to 230 yards.

Played the 4th round of the new year yesterday. The course is probably one of the tougher public tracks in the area. Was playing about 7100 yards w/145 slope.. didn't do to well. Greens were like putting on marble and my chipping game was on vacation. Really nice day though, temps reached into the upper 60's with 0 clouds. End up with an 85 which all things considered wasn't terrible, I averaged 2.7pph which sucks. Sadly it's supposed to be frigid the next 5 days so I won't be getting back out there as soon as I'd like.

Edit: Wanted to add this parody of the "No Hole is Safe" Nike commercial.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSN30cyOV18

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Speaking of equipment, trolling Golfwrx forums for clubs (especially drivers) a couple generations old is more addicting than heroin. What is it about golf equipment that makes us want to own so many of them, even if we never use them? It's like we all have a bit of Jay Leno in us.

Most golfers I know buy new clubs thinking they are going to improve their game because they just can't fix that slice with the driver they have now. Everyone knows that 9 times out of 10 it's not the club it's the person, but it's still an excuse to buy that new putter or 3 wood.

The next time I go down to the beach I'll snap a picture of my father's club collection. He has 4 different iron sets, 2 of them are callaway. He has 5 drivers all made in the last 3 years or so again, a lot of callaway drivers, various shafts, grips. It's actually pretty sad, he has the same Razr Hawk driver head on two different shafts, one stiff and one reg. The stiff one has an over sized grip while the regular is standard. He uses neither of these drivers because he played one round with them and couldn't hit them. Instead he uses a RazrX Black w/ regular flex. He still has some wild shots, but it's better according to him.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ohno posted:

Hah, I've gotten many a good club from overzealous golf club purchasing dads. One of my good friends has like 3 complete sets and a random assortment of drivers, woods, and wedges sitting in his garage - all from his dad. His dad is actually around a 3 handicapper, but still regularly buys clubs. No complaints here tho, I love the deals we make (driver for a 30pack?... sure)!

That's the other thing. He won't let me have any of the poo poo he doesn't use because he's not sure if he might want to try it again at some point, even though he never does. I'm not a huge fan of anything he has though.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

oldskool posted:

I'm ambidextrous to an extent so I can probably still use them, but holy god am I going to be all sorts of terrible when the weather finally climbs out of single digits.

Take solace in the fact that you were probably going to be all sorts of terrible no matter what. Fucken Golf! :argh:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Farking Bastage posted:

415 yards from the blues, 430 from the tips, to a small elevated green. It's pretty open, but trust me when I say that the small green is pretty darned hard to hit with a 5 iron.

Why would you need a 5 iron? Are we talking people driving the ball 230 yard or something?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

I also chatted up a GolfGalaxy club fitter and got to hit a Covert and an R11S. I had originally gone in there to test out an R11 vs a Covert. The cherry red crown is ugly as sin, but the Covert is an excellent driver. I was consistently longer with it than the R11S (the replacement for the R11 that most big box stores are getting). If I could get it in a flat black instead of red, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Did you mean the R1 and not R11S? R11S came out many months ago, and right now big box stores should be getting the R1 to replace the R11 line. Feb. 1st is a big day, supposedly the retail launch of about 5 different new drivers. Top among them being the covert and the R1, it's also the day I decide what new driver I want...that said I'll be getting rid of my current backup which is a TM Burner SuperFast 10.5 Stiff shaft. It's seen some use being a couple years old, but if anyone here were interested I'd sell it cheap!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Man, you can see the uneasy feeling that tiger has playing right now. If he continues this he might lose it in the last 9 holes.

Commentators never fail, guy says "Well there seems to be a lot of spectators here for a Monday." Then Fehrety says, "Well a lot of people don't have jobs"

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
My father thinks adjustable drivers would be terrible because they aren't solidly bonded to the shaft. I don't hit an adjustable at the moment, but I plan on buying one and for me I think it feels the same, you just don't get the same sound off the face. However adjustable is good for situations where wind is a big factor, de-loft the club adjust the lie etc to keep it from going too high in the wind. I don't think they're meant to fix a slice or anything, but for someone that's consistently accurate with their driver it adds some utility that you might have otherwise had to adjust your swing for.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

I live about 2 hours from Houston, and I went to Top Golf 2 weeks ago. It was pretty awesome, and I bet you're going to have an absolute blast.

You don't pay per person; you pay for an hour of stall time. I went with JBSteel, and I paid $20 for one hour. Once my hour was up, he paid for a second hour. You can have *I THINK* up to 4 players on a stall, but if you're bringing 5, I'd ask for neighboring stalls.

There's also full bar service and heaters above the tables and hitting areas to keep you warm.

I had no idea such a place existed. Looks way more fun than bowling, and of course you don't get bowling arm the next day.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Giant Goober posted:

Just started swinging golf clubs again and it's fantastic. It looks like clubs have improved massively since I last had a set, about 10 years ago. I picked up one of the new TM drivers after a trip to the driving range yesterday and it was so light compared to the old 3 wood I was hitting that came from the leftovers bin. I was a little sad I didn't get to hit the TM. But more importantly, do you guys think there'll be a big drop in prices now that the green ones have been replaced by the yellow drivers? And is there likely to be much difference in terms of distantance between the two? I obviously need to go and hit them, and others, before I go and throw some money at one.

Quite honestly based on what you said I wouldn't worry about distance from one to the other, if you haven't had golf clubs in 10 years I'm going to wager you have better things to worry about than how far you can slice the ball into the woods off the tee. Also, I am assuming you're talking about the RBZ drivers as the "green" ones, and the RBZ Stage 2 as the "yellow" ones since it has a little yellow stripe on it. Prices on brand new ones probably won't budge much right now, but used will plummet a bit.

DJExile posted:

Jesus, Phil just went loving crazy :stare:

I'd probably have gone crazy too, that would have been the course record, his personal record and tied record for lowest round in a pga tournament. That last putt should have gone in. That will probably go down as one of the most disappointing lip outs in history

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 1, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

Goddamn, if Phil wasn't as huge an rear end in a top hat in the locker room as he apparently is, I'd feel bad for the guy.

Is he still? Or did he clean his act up? I know for a while he and Vijay were basically hated by everyone else.

E: I know he had the balls to call out Nick goddamn Faldo at a dinner a few years ago.

Who cares, it's Phil. I'm sure he's a prick. My only experience with anything like that was at a practice round at Wells Fargo one year, I got Phil's autograph and shook his hand, he seemed nice enough to fans. Tiger didn't sign a single autograph that I saw and didn't acknowledge anyone.

Then again, everyone has that one guy at their office that they dislike for one reason or another. Phil is probably that guy on tour.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I was looking for more evidence that Phil is a dbag and came across this..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/dec/12/tiger-woods-caddy-phil-mickelson

Hilarious if true. Quoted the part. Steve Williams was a prick too though.

quote:

Williams, back home in New Zealand while his employer recovers from knee surgery, was asked for his opinion of Mickelson's golfing abilities. "I wouldn't call Mickelson a great player 'cause I hate the prick," he responded. Williams is an infamously brusque individual who once threw a spectator's camera into a pond but even by his standards this was an astonishing thing to say. And to make matters worse he then told a story about this year's US Open at Torrey Pines, where Woods and Mickelson were paired together.

The two players were walking down the 17th fairway when, according to Williams, someone shouted "Phil" in Mickelson's direction. The world No2 did not respond until the fan shouted "Hey, Mr Mickelson". When Mickelson turned and waved, the fan yelled out "Nice tits". The crowd erupted in laughter; Mickelson went double bogey, bogey and his chances of winning the tournament disappeared.

edit: Phil said it's not true, but based on some crap from 2002 and Williams just made it about him. Oh well, still funny.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 1, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RizieN posted:

Hahahah Well... then still I can't imagine the Covert getting any positive buzz. Not that it's a bad piece of equipment, it could be amazing, but you know how marketing and blogs and tweetertwits and all that poo poo goes.

Tiger didn't even play with the Covert when he was hacking it up a few weeks ago, Rory was. There's also 3 other Nike sponsored guys that have been in the running pretty consistently so far this year and they are playing all covert drivers, woods. As was mentioned, I don't think tiger has changed his driver in 2 years.

Covert is a nice driver if you can afford it.

SpeedyCow posted:

I hit the Nike Covert on Monday and I'm in love! Sadly I can't spend 500 bucks on one club, however I'm going to try last year's models. The adjustable head was just a gimmick to me at first but now I'm seeing the appeal. I hit the first generation adjustable R11 and hated it, but the newer models feels much more solid.

Also I'm going to enter some amateur events as I'm getting a competitive itch. If anything it'll keep me motivated to practice better than I have before. I just wish it would warm up so I can get to work.

It's a $300 dollar club, not $500 unless you're at some place getting ripped off. The "tour" version is $400. The Covert is the Nike equivalent to the RBZ Stage2. Sadly the R1 was supposed to come on the market at 300 bucks and it's currently at 400 :(

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

SpeedyCow posted:

It was the tour version, and the custom shaft was another 100 :( But last year's Nike is really good so I will look it to that. Also I saw a new R1 at the shop with a 999.99 sticker. They had to be joking!

That makes sense, I'm honestly not sure what anyone would need with a tour driver. It's a smaller head with a few subtle changes that take spin off the ball. The shaft weight is heavier as well and silver vs black. Hardly worth the price point to an average golfer.

As for the R1, I'd never heard of any stores marking demos with that price, but I guess it kind of makes sense, although why would you mark them with a price at all. That said, there is a TM demo day next week at a local country club where a friend of mine works, I'm gonna head out there and play with everything I can.

The course I an joining plays 7200 yards from the tips and as such I am going to need a couple new clubs to fill in likely gaps I will see. Most specifically a 3 wood. Last time I played out there from the tips there was 3-4 holes where a 3 wood would have been handy. Right now I do my best to fill those in with a 3H, but I can only get about 235 out of it so a lot of times I come up short where a 3wood would have been better, or a couple dog leg holes where a 3 wood is perfect to shoot for the center fairway at the turn, but a 3H is 20 yards short of prime placement.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

SpeedyCow posted:

Also a house I was looking at is now under contract so what better way to get over my disappointment than to buy some golf clubs.

That's the spirit! Don't forget the rocketbladezzzzzzz have player iron version that's more "blade" like.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Farking Bastage posted:

Good news: I made 3 birdies today

Bad news: I still shot an 87

I had the same round yesterday. I've never struggled so much on a par3 in my life carding a triple! Then on the next hole after a nice drive I hit the smallest, almost invisible twig on a tree branch and it took enough off my ball to land 3ft short of the green and end up in the bunker. I thought to myself, it's ok you're decent from the trap, get up and down for par....no such luck sailed the green into the back side bunker, then from there went back into the previous bunker...then I 3 putt.. 7 strokes on 2 holes carelessly given back. The worst part is two of the birdies were on Par5's where I had a great look at eagle and a par 4 where I had driven the green and was on for eagle... :smith:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

Gonna go hit more balls tonight and try and work harder on shifting my weight forward quicker. Yall have been awesome in your help with this so far. Golf owns.

Group hug ITT :buddy:

Golf does own. I also wanted to comment on this as this is a problem I have sometimes. I get really lazy with my swing sometimes and don't get good rotation and it usually result in being off to the right by 5-10 yards from my target. I've been going to the range more before rounds and after, or on days when I can't play like after work just forcing myself to FIRE THE HIPS! Not only does it feel fluid when it happens, but I am hitting the ball much longer. When I played Sunday I was focusing on that aspect of the swing alone, my 8 and 7 iron's were playing at least 10 yards longer than normal and from 150 in I was it was like throwing darts at the pin. Now I just need to figure out why I can't putt all of a sudden.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnac posted:

Your link is borked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExnFr16hzhQ&feature=player_detailpage

that's the actual link. He linked the mobile version.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I went to the little pre-owned/new golf store down the street last night to play with things. I was surprised to learn that they had sold out of all their initial R1 drivers they had ordered and had only sold two RBZ Stage2 drivers. The guy working is co-owner and told me that most of the dude that came in hit it first and and he instantly could tell they were terrible 20 handicappers, but said even after he tried to sell them on something cheaper like an older RBZ or even the R11 they declined and bought the R1 anyway. At the end of the day you're not going to turn down a 400 dollar sale, so at least they tried to get them to go with something else.

The RBZ Stage2 was nice, but they didn't have the proper setup for me. So I have to wait until their next shipment to come in. I managed to finagle him into giving me a slightly used r11s 3wood for 150 with the purchase of the driver which is a solid deal.

My brother pulled the trigger the other day and bought a Nike Covert driver, my first impressions are that it's a really nice club. We went to the driving range yesterday during lunch and I took a few whacks at it, right away the sound on impact throws you for a loop, similar to any adjustable driver really, but this one has more of a wooden bat cracking in half sound. Couldn't be 100% certain, but it looked like the ball carried maybe 5-10 yards in the air longer than my current driver. I didn't play with the adjustments, it was just set to 9.5 loft with a regular face angle. So basically the same as my current driver in terms of setup. Playing golf tomorrow and monday so I'll get some more field use with it, but from the range play I'd recommend it. It looks really slick too, but I like red. The demo day I was supposed to go to was cancelled yesterday on account of rain, not sure when they're rescheduling it..but I really want to hit some rocketbladez tour irons in a proper configuration for me.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 14, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DJExile posted:

Is it down to each course/event as to what hole they'd use for a playoff, or is that the Tour's decision?

The holes are determined per-course/event by whoever runs that tournament

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Scrapez posted:

The UPS man arrived! Is there anything better when you know he has new golf clubs?

Used set of Taylormade RocketBladez 5-PW, AW and LW. I didn't want to spend this much on irons but I hit them in a local store last weekend and loved them. Found a set used on Ebay and snatched them up.

Look to be in really nice shape. Can't imagine they got too much use since they were just released late fall last year. They came with Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips which I'm not sure are the OEMs but I think I like them.

Now I just need to get better at golf!

Are those shafts the senior flex? Was there any particular reason you went with graphite over steel?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

I think I've fixed my slice: http://youtu.be/Ud2-wr1Y-vg

It's nice being able to play to my handicap again, that bloody club was costing me so many shots before. Standing taller and focusing on a full release through impact has turned a slice/push slice into a nice little draw or straight flight.

I don't know if it's the video or what, but it looks like you're hitting a small child's club.

Aside from what everyone else is saying I noticed you "re-grip" at take away a lot. There are a lot of things with your swing that needs improvement, tempo being a big one as well, but also when your follow through seems "forced" and by that I mean watching your right leg it whips around after you've hit the ball like you're subconsciously trying to correct your stance for the finish.

You're distances don't really surprise me, but that will correct as you get your swing in order. Have you ever tried any drills to help you with take away or your swing plane? It really seems like you're hitting the ball on the toe much more than anything. What I would do is place a ball maybe 8 inches behind the one you're hitting and then a ball one club head length inside and outside. Then hit the middle ball. You should be hitting the ball behind with the back of your club indicating a straighter take away and then you basically just don't want to hit the inside or outside balls, my guess is you'd probably move the inside ball, but that's just a guess. I have a buddy that does something similar, but his issue is he gets a little too loose with his swing and never holds a good path so he tends to leave the club face open a lot or hits it to a point where it sounds like a hollow wood bat hitting a ball.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

SpeedyCow posted:

I honestly did, and I checked to make sure the launch monitor didn't have the "Shot Enhancer" button turned on. I watched the fellow before me hit some 160 yard 6-irons, which was his average, and I also hit my own driver before hand and nothing was enhanced about it.

By the way, what possible legit reason is there to put that "enhancer" button on the monitor? Basically it was the button with a percentage field from 0 to 100%. I was thinking "Maybe if they're using reduced flight practice balls" but what reason is there to do that? Shady stuff. Remember folks, always check to see if your launch monitor is on performance enhancing buttons.

Simulator distance is not the same as real world distance. In reality you hit that club 220 yards max, or 150 yards with a severe slice.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

zinc68 posted:

Nope, only way to Wd is a medical problem (major one) or family crisis. If it is medically related you need to prove it within 14 days to the tour.

How valid is that though? Pretty sure Phil withdrew from a couple tournaments last year after having a horrible first round. I am a little disappointed with Rory. If I can play through an entire round hungover and barely able to form a sentence while throwing up every other hole he should be able to play through some tooth pain. Either that or be a man and rip the thing out.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I just pre-ordered the Swingbyte 2.0 which is scheduled to ship in about a month or so. Seems to be upgraded from the first with better attachment to the club shaft and more sensitive/accurate sensors. Mostly getting it so I can use it to tune my swing in to start shaping my shots a little better so I can play some courses more efficiently. Plus the new app seems very robust in features so that's fun too.

I've also settled on a new driver finally. After much testing between the Covert, R1, RBZ S2 I am going to go with the RBZ Stage2. I didn't really see much difference between the R1 and the RBZ S2, definitely not enough to justify the price difference, though I might try and pick up an R1 in the future when they're cheap. The Covert is a great club too, but my brother bought one and I was about 5 yards more carry with the RBZ on average. I did try the Callaway X-Hot and the 913D2, but again nothing really set them apart for me.

Now I need to find a solid 3wood because I finally found a course that requires me to use one more than once a round that I plan to often. Also, while the bug is "biting" me for the new season I might pick up some new irons too because someone offered to buy my Nike's

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Well scratch my last post about drivers.

I just scored a deal I couldn't pass up. Brand new Taylormade R1 TP w/ 65gram Aldila RIP Phenom X-Stiff shaft for $285. Never been used comes with head cover and tool. Finally knowing random people from bars paid off. Thing retails for $499 and I got it for less than that RBZ S2 was going to cost me, so it seemed like a no brainer.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

You got an R1 from a random bar patron? :stare:

Technically he is a PGA Professional (teacher mostly), but I know him through drinking at a local bar. He apparently was given some clubs to test out because he plays in a few web.com events, like last year he played in the Chiquita Banana tournament and made the cut just didn't finish well. He just doesn't have a specific club sponsor so he gets a bunch of random crap. I don't know what he does with the stuff normally though, he just said he got one and would sell it to me.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

I just wish I played Taylormade drivers because I'd be like 50 yards longer off the tee and 30 yards longer off the fairway...

Just kidding, that's a sweet deal dude. I've never hit Taylor Made drivers particularly well, the R7 and R11 were both unsuccessful forays into the TM camp for me :smith:. But I see so many in play I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out somehow.

That's okay though! I am fine being a Ping guy. If I end up getting one of those Scottsdale TR putters(lets be honest, it's only a matter of time), I'll only have 3 non-Ping clubs in the bag :stare:. That's crazy considering I thought Ping was a 'game improvement' only company 3 years ago.

Yeah, I've played TM drivers and woods for awhile now (since the R9 came out) and continue to like them. I've never had much success with their irons though. I have 3 TM wedges though that I love and got as a "set" 52, 56 and 60. I've been considering the rocketbladez just to have a little consistency in my bag, but I don't really care that much, I just know my Nike Irons only have 1 season left on them at this point.

• Locked thread