Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You caught me at a moment when I'm super bored at work.

Some things I've noticed, and I'm just regurgitating my own lessons:

Michael Breed and all my instructors want the back of the shaft (end of the grip) at address pointing to your belt buckle, yours is a little high.

Your swing plane hard core on the inside, whats your normal miss? A pull or a slice/fade? I'm guess a pull because it looks like your swing is really inside-out. You come inside on your backswing and again on your downswing.

I know how to fix an outside-in swing, but I don't know about the inside-out swing. I'd just try to keep that shaft on that same swing plane that the stagnant yellow line is on, your shaft at address, when viewed from behind, is where you want your swing plane to be.

More knowledgeable goons can correct me if I'm wrong, like I said I'm very new myself and just repeating what I've learned so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Just got a brand new TaylorMade R11s 3-wood for $150 at Golf Galaxy, they're $100 off right now!

Also got my Optishot set up almost properly, I just need to astroturf the whole room now.

And I need to turn my heat up to 150° and blow it towards the golf course so I can loving play.

And that WM tourney was super fun to watch.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

CPFinnit posted:

I've only been playing a few months, but I've run into a bit of a problem.

I took an hour and a half lesson a few weeks ago and then met some friends at the range afterwards. The next day I had some pain on the right side of my chest (I'm right handed) about three inches below the nipple under the armpit. I'm pretty sure I know the swing I hurt myself on, I over swung pretty hard with my 3W. I shut it down for almost two weeks, icing and heating and generally taking it easy. I felt pretty decent Saturday, still a little sore though, and went to play 9 holes. I made sure not to swing to hard and actually played pretty well. Cut 22 shots off of my previous outing, had my first par and my first consecutive pars.

Yesterday I woke up extremely sore in the same area, sore to the point of breathing deeply hurt. Today really isn't any better. Google tells me it is most likely an intercostal strain. It sounds like the doctor will just tell me to ice, heat, ibprofin and rest. I'm going to put the clubs down until the pain is gone (which will be difficult). Has anyone had with this type of injury before? If so, what was the recovery time for it? I'd rather not turn this into something nagging but I'm itching to get back out there.

You never know about the doctor, I had a terrible pain in my back, my left side, whatever muscle runs down next to your spine was killing me. I had to re-schedule my fitting because I couldn't put a proper swing on it. Went to the doctor and he gave me some steroids and I swear to god the next morning I felt 100% It was insane. I was kind of hoping for percocets or something, I mean if I had to not play golf I might as well feel good, but man those steroids were the best thing.

But like the other guy said, you can and should work on putting and chipping, if you just want to wait it out.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

DoctaFun posted:

I think most people, especially those that are fairly new to the game, would be better off spending 90% of their time practicing chipping and putting, and 10% of their time practicing the rest of their game/playing a round. They'd save a lot of money too.

When I started getting serious about golf I couldn't afford to play very much so I just went to this driving range/practice green by my house and chipped and putted like 3-4 nights a week. Within a couple months I was very adept around the greens and it really made my scores drop dramatically. At that time I was much less consistent but if I had a round where I hit 9 greens instead of 5, I could shoot in the 70's. But even on those rounds where I hit 3-5 greens in regulation I was getting up and down for par pretty often and 95% of the time getting up and downdown for bogey. You'd be amazed how low you can go when you have a reliable short game.

Now I have a membership and when I get to the course I just want to play so I haven't practiced chipping nearly as much as I used to. It shows in my game but I'm so much more consistent with the rest of my game I don't have to rely on it so much. Next year I hope to change that though as my failure in our club championship was all short game. I had 0 penalty strokes over the two day tournament, I chunked 4 chips on day 2, missed 3 putts under 4 feet and lost by 2 strokes. Next year I have to be better under pressure.

Yea, I started off just driving balls and hitting irons, and hated putting because I was bad at it and I just wanted to send the ball, not that pussy child poo poo that is putting. Then I learned how to putt and chip, and I swear I shaved 20 strokes off my score (my scores were high at first). I think if you know how to hit the ball and get it moving and air born, then yea, focus on green to tee (not tee to green) to get better scores. But you at least have to know how to swing a club and hit the ball.

When we play rounds my buddies go to the range for an hour and don't even look at the putting green. I do 30 minutes of driving and 30 minutes of putting/chipping. You really have to to see what the greens are like that day. But it's not as fun as killing a driver so not a lot of people do it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

DoctaFun posted:

I think if you only have time to hit one or two buckets of balls a week you are not going to improve very much at all. Most of the time people will be trying the latest golf digest tip or trying to figure out what you are doing wrong as they switch from pitching wedge to 5 iron to 3 wood to driver, building very little consistency in any aspect of their game(wedges/short irons/long irons/fairway woods/driver). Meanwhile I think 1-2 hours of short game practice a week could one could definitlely develop a reliable chipping stroke and fairly consistent putting stroke which would have a very noticeable positive effect in just about any beginner's game.

Now if you are putting in 5 hours of range time a week then you could definitely start putting together a swing that is reliable and repeatable. But I don't think a lot of beginner's can hit the range an hour a day and then play on the weekends.

The final and most overlooked advantage of having a good short game is how F'ing frustrating it is to play against someone who gets up and down all the time, especially if you are competing against them. Seriously, try playing against someone who hits 7 greens in regulation all round to your 13 and still beats you by 3 strokes. Then tell me what you will be practicing the next week.

Hopefully this doesn't come off as argumentative because I think we are in total agreement Riz :). Just wanted to elaborate a bit.

I totally agree, and also with chipping and putting there really isn't one set rule of thumb. Not like with driver and irons where you can analyze your swing plane, weight transfer, head wobble, all that jazz. Short game is all about feel, and it's really hard to teach it— you kind of just have to do it. I mean I've read Dave Stockton's books and learned from them, but when I really started learning was when I tried the techniques out on the practice green and really started developing my own style based on what works and doesn't. So if you don't have an instructor and you're just trying the latest tip for your irons or driver, it's going to be harder to progress, where as with short game you don't exactly need an instructor, just the experience and the feel.

We should propose a show to Golf Channel and get ourselves on it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Holy poo poo I want that yard.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

SpeedyCow posted:

I hit the Nike Covert on Monday and I'm in love! Sadly I can't spend 500 bucks on one club, however I'm going to try last year's models. The adjustable head was just a gimmick to me at first but now I'm seeing the appeal. I hit the first generation adjustable R11 and hated it, but the newer models feels much more solid.

Also I'm going to enter some amateur events as I'm getting a competitive itch. If anything it'll keep me motivated to practice better than I have before. I just wish it would warm up so I can get to work.

Man, with Rory and Tiger hacking it up when that first came out I can't imagine the Covert generating too much positive buzz (though Tiger did just win two weeks ago). I had a Callaway Razr Fit, I liked it at first but grew to hate it (but probably because of my bad swing). Then I bought the R11s in November and I'm driving like a goddamn pro now.

Sir Bedevere posted:

A few days later than I expected them, but my new irons/wedges showed up yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but hopefully I'll head to the range tomorrow and see how they swing.

Pursuit m510 6-P irons/s510 52/56/60 wedges from gigagolf.com on True Temper Dynamic Gold x100 shafts with the Sensicore inserts installed. Winn Dri-tac lite grips.
I'm not sure what to think of them so far, these are my first muscle backs and I was pretty surprised to see how thin they are. I definitely like the look of them. I'm hoping to hit the range tomorrow and see if it's a good fit.

While I'm at it I'll put the rest of my bag up.

First up, 3 and 5 Woods.

Powermax GX2 fairways, also Giga clubs. They're on Pursuit M2T Grafalloy shafts with Winn lite grips.

2 and 4 hybrids.

Powermax GX2 hybrids on UST Proforce V2 shafts with Winn lite again.

Driver is a Taylormade Burner Superfast, 9.5 degree, stock shaft. The only club I'm using that isn't from Giga.

And the putter, center cut Smilodon. I had it cut down about 3 1/2 inches last year to 32 1/2" overall length. My local club fitter thought I was crazy when I asked him to do it but I've had great success with it since then.

So there you have it. All clubs from giga have been lengthened .5" and have a +2 lie adjustment. Once my driver begins to fall apart I plan replace it with one from, big surprise here, gigagolf. This is my second set of irons and 4th overall order from them, and they haven't disappointed yet.

Does anyone have any experience with sensicore or any other insert? After I placed the order I read a bit more about them and saw they dampen vibration quite a bit, and now I'm a little concerned about them retarding my ability to feel mishits. I'll have a better idea once I swing them but any extra input is always appreciated. I have 30 days to try them out so at worst I'll have to ship them back and swap the shafts.

Anyone else care show off their clubs?

I was going to do a 2013 'Whats in your bag?' but I just ordered two new Miura Wedges (55° C Grind, 60° Y Grind). I should be leaving for Florida again on thursday, so I'm having my fitter ship my clubs to me next day air so I can get use them on Saturday (paid 2 day air to get the heads from Japan, then he's going to expedite the building process for me!). I'm so loving stoked.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hahahah Well... then still I can't imagine the Covert getting any positive buzz. Not that it's a bad piece of equipment, it could be amazing, but you know how marketing and blogs and tweetertwits and all that poo poo goes.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

SpeedyCow posted:

It was the tour version, and the custom shaft was another 100 :( But last year's Nike is really good so I will look it to that. Also I saw a new R1 at the shop with a 999.99 sticker. They had to be joking!

I'd actually be interested in the Covert if I didn't have a love affair with my R11s. I love my Nike Method Mallet Putter more than any other putter (though I've yet to try the Miura putter).

My Golf Galaxy has a demo R1 with no price, and all the other ones are $400. My buddy played with me for the first time and was really interested in my driver since he played with another guy who had it. So we went to the galaxy and he demo'd a few and loved it. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my R11s but I have a feeling they're not too different.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
gently caress Yes. You know what I love? Last minute golf trips.

Just decided today we're going to the Reunion resort in Orlando for a week. Last month we did a last minute trip to the Doral, tacked that onto a business trip we had to do. SO STOKED YOU GUYS. Its cold as gently caress here.

I hope my fitter can get my new wedges shipped to me by saturday morning...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

zinc68 posted:

The TM Bladez are not really blades at all, but post up your thoughts on them when you try them out.

I actually got to hit the new Rocket Blades when I was at the Doral in December. They're really good clubs, I'm not sure what stands out about them from other game-improvement clubs, except they don't look so bulky at address, which I love. I can't stand huge bulbous irons... So that's a huge plus for them. If I didn't have Miura's I'd be considering them. I think I'm going to buy the Women's flex version for my wife soon.

DJExile posted:

That rules, dude. Post a trip report :toot:

For sure! I'll have to get the SA iphone app and post pictures for you guys.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

shrughes posted:

After I hit a driver-off-the-fairway in an attempt to attack a par 5, there's now a rattling in my Calloway FT-5. Also, the thin rubber seal line that I didn't know existed has popped out.

So maybe I should get a new driver. What driver should I get?

In other news, I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PP92H6/

As far as I can tell, it's great (after one use), except that assembling it was a bit annoying -- you only have to unscrew one bolt and then screw it back into the same hole, but it has a rounded cap that offers no affordances for gripping. I ended up giving up, whacking it through, and screwing the nut on the other end. It also included, unmentioned on the parts list or instructions, a couple of spare screws that match no other screw on the equipment and a miscellaneous mini-wrench that's the wrong size for everything.

I have a Callaway Razr Fit that I don't use anymore. It's a little scarred up since it was the driver I learned on, so I skied a lot of balls and the top is scuffed. I'll get pictures of it when I go home if you're interested at all. (I bought the drat thing new for full price, but obviously you'll get a deal).

In other news I'm all packed up!

I bought those Miura iron covers because I'm obsessive. Stiff Arm (keeps the airlines from crushing my clubs if they smash the top into something) , 5i-9i , PW, GW, Taylormade R11s Driver & 3W. Fitter should be shipping my 4h, 55° & 60° wedges next day air to the resort today, so I get them tomorrow morning! God I'm so loving excited I want to leave now... but I have 5 more hours before I even get to the airport.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 8, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I can't tell you how awesome my club fitter is. I was hesitant because I didn't think there'd be any great fitters around Cincinnati and the website looks dated (http://www.conquestcustomgolf.com/), but turns out he's one of the top 100 according to Golf Digest. If anyone is in the area I'd highly recommend this guy. He's as addicted to golf as anybody, and just loves anything to do with it and gets excited to see guys like me willing to next day air golf clubs just to get my wedges for a few days in Florida...

Nothing but good things to say about Bill. Well, he can talk a lot but that's because he's enthusiastic.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Kameh posted:

Yes, Phil and Keegan both made excellent putts to get into the playoff. Keegan's putt was even more impressive to me because he had to putt after Phil.

But in the end, Bill Haas drained a MONSTER of a putt on the 10th green during the playoff for the win. IIRC, it was a walk off win too.

They showed that on the golf channel last week when I was at Reunion. What an awesome and tense show that was. Also, speaking of reunion, I'll try to get some kind of picture & review post up.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So at work a buddy started playing the fantasy golf, and we decided to make it interesting with money. But I figured if goons want to get in on it we can do it for fun.

The league name is SAS Goons, the numerical ID is 9120, the password is goongolf. https://www.golfchannel.com/fantasy

My picks this week, which I didn't put a ton of thought into:

e;, I should probably take Rose over Choi, but I like that Choi won with Miura's.

edit, Deadline to get your picks for the matchplay this weekend is Wednesday 9am EST.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 19, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Man, I actually do love Match Play a lot. At first, when I first got into golf, I wasn't so into it. But I'm loving this tourney, if they'd shut up about the weather.

edit, Okay sleet is kind of crazy to play in.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 20, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
loving Arizona is looking like Iowa in February... nuts.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Nike execs are making GBS threads themselves, swallowing bottles of xanax just to maintain... I would hate to be them right now. Taylormade on the other hand are probably poppin champagne bottles on a private jet.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzm2KcpzRm4

Woody Austin Bending a Putter.

I've felt like doing that before.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
New Golf Boys video:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/video-golf-boys-release-second-single/?cid=facebook_A_gc_GOLFBOYS_SECONDSINGLE_030413

I don't dig it so much.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Farking Bastage posted:

I deserve it for putting up with living in Florida :colbert:

Golf and the Beach are literally the only reasons I would move to Florida. But still it'd have to be near Miami so I can have some semblance of a real city with real culture, even if Miami isn't as great as portland or Chicago or the other cities I like.

Also it's supposed to be 60's this weekend, but last night it dumped snow... so even if it does get into the 60° range it's going to be a loving swamp. Maybe I should move down there soon... Though I loving love my midwest courses and their proper grass more so than Florida's.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

DoctaFun posted:

Not that this matters, but if I see someone with a completely matching set of clubs(especially if the club model is <2 years old), I instantly think they are a "gotta have the latest and greatest" hacker. The majority of people who have clubs that match from Driver to Sand wedge are your typical guppy hacks, at least in my experience.

Now if you roll up with a set of Mizuno MP-30's, some worn out cleveland wedges and some Titleist woods, I'll be pretty worried that you got some game.

Now, in non-trivial matters, have you guys seen the new Golf Pride Multi Compound whiteout grips? Masters color scheme, they are sharp. I might get some since my grips are wearing out on my irons.
http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Golf-Pride-New-Decade-Multicompound-Whiteout-Standard-Grip---WhiteGreen/W13GPMCWOUTSTDWTEGRN/Product

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if those are new or not, but I just saw them the other day and they are sweet looking.

Edit: And if you show up with Nike clubs, well I don't even think you have to ask. You are AT BEST the 1st or 2nd best player in the world and thus I will dominate you.

My dad was so worried about buying the Rocketbladez because TM is advertising the gently caress out of them, but he doesn't regret it. I had to get Miura wedges to fill out my bag with all miura clubs (Ping wedges just look stupid sitting next to my beautiful Miura irons... Also these wedges are the best wedges I've ever loving hit). I'm kind of OCD so I like consistency. I do hit TaylorMade driver and 3-wood though, btu the rest of my bag is all Miura. Though you'll see me on the course with mixed & matched clothes, visors, Miura clubs, TM woods, and Bridgestone balls. It's not so much that I have to have the latest, but I've found the equipment that works for me.

Though I do understand what you're saying, we play with a guy who just grabbed the Titleist AP2's because he couldn't pass up the price on them, but the guy went from being a really good golfer to hacking it up like crazy.

It's the same in snowboarding (both golf & snowboarding can be very expensive), you'll see kids out there with the latest board, this years outerwear styles, all the latest & greatest, but they suck. Then I'm cruising with outerwear from like 6 years ago, a scratched up board and I look at those kids like wtf are you doing with a $400 jacket, $600 board, $300 boots when you can't even ride...

But if you have the money then I guess why not? As long as it doesn't hinder your game anyway (unlike my AP2 friend).

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Kameh posted:

Take an extra club on headwind shots, swing smoothly, and finish low.

You can also move the ball further in the back of your stance to keep the trajectory low. It'll take a lot of these shots to accurately predict what exactly will happen though. If I have to punch out I always take a 5 iron, ball back of stance, and try to shape the shot in a proper way (it's easier to hit draws and fades with a punch, because you can close or open your club head with less ill effect, and when I punch out I'm always behind a tree that I have to curve the ball around... so I've gotten decent at them.)

e; Also played in hurricane force winds where I I almost always uses a five iron for every shot, also it wasn't real golf that day anyway so I didn't mind getting to know my 5 iron. I quickly learned how not to roll the ball past the green. With a 50-60 yard shot in 60+mph winds I don't want to flop it straight up and let the wind take it, so I try to keep it low and roll it up on the green.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 17, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well I broke my driver friday, and lost my wedding ring. I swear I put that loving ring in my valuables pocket but apparently not... luckily my wife was less disappointed than I was. But I really liked that ring and now I have to try to get it made the same way again...

As for the driver, I just tossed it behind me after a bad shot... didn't even slam it or throw it, just kind of unhinged my wrist sideways and tossed it behind me, and the head landed first and the shaft just vibrated and snapped. It was a TaylorMade R11s regular flex. But it's actually ok, because when I bought it my swing speed was slower. The guy even said when I get a quicker swing I'm going to have to get it re-shafted. But since I've been working out all winter and getting a better swing I've been having a harder time squaring the clubface at impact, so I've got a fitting tonight at 6 with my fitter and I'm going to go all out on the shaft and get the best one I can. I'm guessing my driver clubhead speed is over 105mph now.

Also have an interview at the club I'm joining (Elks) tomorrow, so I'll be taking a quarter day at work and playing tomorrow before my interview, hopefully with a new shaft on my driver.

edit; I have a question about chipping, almost all of my chips around the green check pretty well, but I'm trying to figure out how to make them roll out. As it stands I always have the ball way back in my stance, toes pointing in the direction of my target, shaft forward as to de-loft the club, and I keep my arms pretty rigid like a pendulum. I normally use my 60° wedge for almost all chip shots, and I know theres a way to make a flop wedge roll out, I just don't know how. I guess I could use a 9 or PW and get more roll, but I want to know a little more science while I'm here.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 8, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I don't come up short unless I happen to chunk the chip, most people I play with think my short game is far beyond where it should be for how long I've been playing, and I'm normally within 6 feet of the cup when I execute the way I expect to. I read Dave Stockton's Unconscious Scoring book and that's when I adopted that set up (I may have misinterpreted his technique), but I was watching some pro's and their chips were a lot different, so I'm ready to start experimenting with some other type of chip shots.

I'm going to bail on work today I think, my club fitting got moved to 2pm and the fitter is 5 minutes from my clubhouse, so I'm definitely going to go play around and the chipping green and try your technique. Thanks for the tips & video. I've been pivoting like he says to, but my arms are super rigid, so I think I'm going to try to stay fluid all around.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

thebushcommander posted:

You and everyone else, man. :)

edit: my Swingbyte 2 should be shipping soon!

Haha, yea I guess that should go without saying. I just ordered a SwingSmart after seeing my dad's in action, I'm stoked. I also got a Garmin Approach G6 and it has been as accurate as my laser.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Yaphet posted:

I wasn't trying to criticize you or anything. If you've got good touch around the greens, I think a chipping setup like that gets in the way of your own natural talent. Nothing is worse than chunking/skulling the ball around the greens. It kills your score and can single-handedly ruin a hole. You shouldn't be chunking chips, period. With a setup that promotes a shallow attack angle, something really catastrophic has to happen for you to skull/chunk the shot.

I like Dave Stockton's ideas on the mental side of the short game but I never understood the old-school short game setups (feet aimed diagonally for chips, extremely open stance in the bunkers, etc.) that he and people like Dave Pelz advocate. They put your body in unnatural positions that are hard for the amateur to recreate on a consistent basis. I'm a big fan of Stan Utley's techniques because they're very neutral, natural and simple. The trick then becomes distance control and expecting to get up-and-down almost every time as opposed to worrying about chunking a 15-yard chip or leaving yourself in the bunker.

I just got back from my fitting, I chipped around for about an hour and kind of merged your earlier tips into my previous method. The more wrist action does give me more roll, so I'll have to mess around a lot more to figure out just how hard to hit it, for shorter chip shots I think I am going to stick with my old method, because I'm super accurate and they bite. But I can see myself evolving a blend of the two over this season.

I also ended up loving buying a totally new custom driver... Tom Wishon 919 head with 3° draw bias, 10.5° loft, ACCRA 60 gram stiff flex shaft. I also put a super stroke oversized non-tapered grip on my putter, already feels a million times better. Kind of looks weird though. I also put a lady's flex shaft on my TaylorMade so my wife can have a hand-me-down/upgraded driver.

Scrapez posted:

That really sucks. Have you ever tried playing with it on? Getting married next month and my ring was my dad's wedding ring so losing it would be horrible.

I'm notoriously absent minded so figured I'd leave it on when i play but not sure it's an option. Anyone play in a ring?

I normally play with it on, and I do fine, but that day I wanted to see if I performed any different with it off. Stupid idea. My ring was slightly too big for my finger though, so I guess now I can get the same style made but one size smaller.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Paid a shitload more for my Roger Waters tickets... that's awesome. I'm going to have to try to get in at a major event some time, if I'm ever near one.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I love how these guys keep talking about Freddy on the practice green. "Yea, he hits a ball, and goes to chat, he'll hit maybe 10 balls in an hour but talk to 73 golfers, and not once talk about golf. Look now, he's trying to get the dinner menu out of Bubba..."

I'm getting so stoked for this tournament. I'm taking a half-day at work today to play 18, the weather is loving perfect here in Cincinnati right now. Watching golf channel isn't helping... only 3 more hours until I can leave.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
His swing is so fluid and almost feels slow motion, I'm not sure how he does it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Any of you playing the Golf Channel Fantasy league for this one? We've got a $20 ante to get in the pool at work. My picks are Tiger, Bubba, Rickie and KJ Choi (Group 4 you almost might as well close your eyes and pick, but KJ Rocked my Miura's and won some Asian tour event with them, so I like the guy).

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Goddamn you guys, my ball striking was amazing today. My distances are nuts now that it's warm out. I felt so good over every shot, almost holed like 5 chip shots, and I played from the tips all day. Rode 18 holes first, went to my membership interview, then walked another 9. I love playing with peers on my own level, it keeps me level headed, in the game, in a good mood, and I play better. Also it was windy as gently caress and when I didn't forget to factor in the wind 40-50 yards up in the air I was on point.

I had so much fun today.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

thebushcommander posted:

What are you averaging per round now days? I know you just started golfing last year sometime right? Also where are you getting a membership where they required an interview, sounds fancy. :D

Yea I started last June, and I've had about 3 or 4 rounds this year so far. My average is around 85-88, but I feel like that's not going to last for long if I keep striking the ball like I did yesterday (will get lower). Yesterday I shot a 90 from the tips (6631 yards) and it was windy as gently caress outside, I think they were 33mph winds. I played the wind just right on most holes though. What did effect my score was that the greens were aerated and sanded and nothing was really sticking, so most of my strokes were gained putting, which is the worst part of my game right now. I added them up and if I could've two putted every hole I'd have shot high 70's yesterday. I'm not going to blame the aeration because I know my putting is bad, but I'm putting a lot of time in practicing putts.

My tee to green was awesome yesterday, and the added distance from the tips was more fun to me and didn't exactly present any new challenges as far as hitting greens in regulation, I just had to manage the course differently than I would from the whites. I'm playing again today with my mom, and I might hit from the whites to speed things up between teeing off on two different tee boxes, and see if I score any better. I feel like a 90 in 30mph winds, with aerated greens, from the tips is pretty drat good for me. I know some people might think that score doesn't warrant playing from the tips, but it really was my putting raising my score, my tee to green was great.

I'm joining the local Elks club in my town, http://www.hamiltonelksgolfclub.com/ , it's about a 45 minute drive from my house but the 27 holes they have are so great. The interview is mostly to make sure you're not some redneck rear end in a top hat, one of the questions is "Do you want to forcefully overthrow the government?"... haha. Donald Ross and Michael Hurdzan designed the courses, though I could swear Pete Dye designed one of the nines. The members there are all nice and outgoing, not snobby at all, and they have a lot of different events throughout the year. Also I think I get to play any elks club in the country with my membership.

I'm so stoked this year, I really feel like I'm going to make great improvements.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

zinc68 posted:

If you're legit shooting those scores after only playing for 7 months or so, you need to get a coach because drat

My dad has been begging me to get a swing coach that I could see regularly, so I might just do it this year, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. There's this guy, Doug Martin, he played on tour for 9 years and now he's the head coach at the University of Cincinnati, I think I'm going to talk to him about it and see what his schedule is.

thebushcommander posted:

Looks nice, pretty cheap membership too. Hopefully that 45 minute drive won't be a pain in the rear end though. If I lived 45 minutes from my course I'd probably play there once a week and still be angry about it. As it stands I live 15 minutes away right now and will be moving essentially across the street at the end of May.

My Course It's pretty solid local public track, usually one of the best maintained too. Then with the 6906-7200 yard from the tips, 73.8 course rating and 145 Slope it's probably one of the more difficult courses in the area too. My only gripe is that they have no chipping or bunker practice setup, but the range and putting green are pretty solid. Also for an additional 10 bucks a month I get a joint membership with another course down the street which isn't nearly as good and much more busy, but it offers variety for pretty cheap I guess.

It's not such a bad drive, I played there a lot last year. I work about 15 minutes from the place, so I'll be going there a lot after work this summer and competing in their leagues and things on weekdays. The course is always in pristine condition too, the members all know how great it is and make a point to repair divots and ball marks.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well I had another good day, played with my mom though so I kind of just practiced specialty shots and trying new things out on the course. I also kind of had to fill the role of coach to get my mom to hit the ball well, and towards the end of the first nine she started striking it proper and getting the loft and line she wanted. She just needs to swing faster because she gets no distance at all.

Speaking of, I think what is making my irons so loving awesome now is that I focus on having a late release. If I uncock and whip my wrists through the ball at the right time I just crush it with some serious accuracy. I feel like I've had an epiphany in golf, something just clicked the other day and now my irons are amazing. I actually flew the green today on a long par 3 with a 6 iron, I used to never even be able to reach it with my 5i or 4 hybrid.

Do any of you know any decent tips on reading greens? I feel like every putt that I thought was going to break today didn't, and the ones that did broke a shitload more than I thought they would. Maybe it was because the greens were aerated and sandy but I don't know... I've had days where my putter was on fire, but not a lot of them. I really need to get consistent with that club.

On another note I got an email asking if I wanted one of the last 3 spots in the Ohio Valley Golf Association mini-tour, so I'll be playing in my first competitive golf round ever this sunday. I expect to get crushed, the course looks tough and I'm sure the field will be tough too. I think the mini tour is mostly a fun thing where golfers of all skill levels can play in, but I do believe there are side bets and 'money games' going on within the regulars. I'm just looking forward to my first competitive golf round. If I can learn to putt who knows... maybe I'll do well.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So is there any proper coverage of the masters yet? Or do I have to wait until the afternoon?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I'm just selfish and want to watch some golf. I'm supposed to catch up on work today too...

e; Jesus did you see that guy's putter just now on the website? Some Scotsman apparently, I forget his name. Putter head must be 1 inch tall by 8 inches long and 6 inches deep... thing looked outrageous.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 11, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I really don't like them, I can't wait for the grass to open up.

Was cleaning my clubs during the masters earlier and noticed a gnarly knick in the top edge of my 55° wedge... guess that's a down side of having soft steel irons. Anyone know of an easy way to get it flattened out so that the protruding part of the knick doesn't effect anything?

edit, it's not so bad, but I can see some occasions where the ball might make contact with this tiny little.. bump I guess, and that would have a real effect.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 13, 2013

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well I just played the worst round of golf I've played in 6 months... just so happened to be the first competitive round I've ever played... I couldn't get off the tee and I actually whiffed twice... I couldn't be more upset. I chipped in for birdie and made a few pars... but that doesn't matter when you score an 11 on a par 4 and so on.

I'm going to chalk it up to being stiff, unprepared, and not having my own driver (broke it last week and my fitter couldn't build a new one in time). But goddamn is that embarrassing. And to top off such a bad score as soon as I was done I had to deal with a ton of work drama. We just fired one kid who's job I was responsible for saving (bad call on my part I guess), and we're firing three more people tomorrow. So I shoot over a hundred in my first tournament and then I have to fire people. Then I ended up seeing the masters playoff by accident when I wanted to watch the whole recording... and then I get such a warm (cold as gently caress) reception from my wife when I came home.

What a loving weekend. This is the first time I can ever say that I can't wait to be at work tomorrow.

Now I want to chill in the hot tu(very cheao & lovely hot tub, but its a warm tub of water so whatever) and let me bones soak but my battery is going to die. Jesus Christ I wish I could just fall asleep right now. gently caress today.

e; Spelling— because today couldn't get any worse.

e2; Oh, cool... just got more work drama emails. gently caress this week dudes... gently caress this week. I can't wait to get back out there and play some real loving golf.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Eh, I'm already over it and looking forward to my next round. Going to hit the range and call that guy about a putting lesson and possibly coaching me. Yesterday I had like four 4 putts, four 3 putts, a couple 2 and 1 putts, and one chip in for birdie. I can't putt to save my life. Well, I can't read greens well anyway I think my stroke is fine.

• Locked thread