Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So this looks interesting

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/05/game-golf-system-indiegogo/

NFC equipped tags that go into your clubs to track and monitor all kinds of stuff.

edit: And the funding page http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/285885/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

zinc68 posted:

NOTHING will ever sound as bad as a good ball striker hitting an original Nike SQ 5000 driver hard. THHAAAAWWWWWNNKKKKKKKK(hollow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFfC99SAGw

Ugh, sounds like someone hitting a cracked aluminum softball bat next to your ear.

My friend had one of those clubs. He just started golfing recently and wasn't that good and when he hit with that club it sounded like rear end since he had no power in his swing. He let me use it one day and I swear my ears were ringing for the next 3 holes from the sound that thing made lol. He was all, wtf it doesn't sound like that when I hit it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Did someone ITT have an Ogio bag? I saw a couple today and were curious about how they are.

I have an Ogio Ozone stand bag. Got it 2 years ago. It's very light, has an abundance of pockets for every single little thing and the carry straps have plenty of cushion on them for walking.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So my dad called me last night and said someone from his work gave him tickets to the Arnold Palmer Classic for the final round next Sunday. It's both of ours first ever golf tournament and we're both stoked to be going. For you guys who have gone to tourneys, what are some do's and don'ts?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Streebs posted:

I went to that tournament last year, it was a lot of fun! I mostly stayed on the back 9 and walked around but if you get there early(ish) you can find a spot in the stands behind the 18th hole. Personally I'd rather walk around, and the advice to not follow Tiger is good advice. More than half the crowd out on the course will be following him, it's not very fun. At that course I just started at 18 and walked backwards to catch as many golfers as possible. Some tournaments will stop you from going in with a phone or camera phone but they weren't stopping people at Bay Hill, just make sure you don't have your ringer on. Have fun, it's a nice course.

Cool thanks for the advise. It looks like Bubba is gonna be there and I really wanna see him.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Speaking of warm weather people, any of you clowns live near Charlotte, NC? I need a new person to play with regularly. The guy I play with most is literally getting worse, or at least it seems that way. We played on Sunday and after the first 5 holes he was cursing at himself and asking why he even plays if he's this bad and not getting better. Well, the reason he doesn't get better is because he doesn't practice. He goes out every weekend, shows up at tee time and does terrible. He won't listen to myself or my brother or get a lesson etc. On Sunday I told him that he shouldn't count the stroke penalties for losing a ball off the tee box or into water, but count the rest. Dude carded an 87 with that which made him realize he is losing an average of 23+ a round strokes due to penalties. He's terrible off the tee and his long irons/fairway woods are terrible also, but somehow he's almost perfect from 130 yards in, then he usually putts 3 or 4 times because he doesn't make an effort to read the green or anything he just guesses.

Anyway, I am sick of golfing with him every week, it feels like it's rubbing off on me and I'm tired of the complaining. Everyone else I know that actually don't suck are so unreliable for a round it's insane and most guys I meet on the course when I go alone are annoying and swear they're scratch golfers, but that 115 they just carded was a fluke. That poo poo is probably the second most annoying thing about golf. I don't understand it, if we play together and you have the swing of a scoliosis victim I already know you're not a scratch golfer.

This is my best friend, and I hate playing with him. I've been golfing 10+ years, he's been golfing maybe 2 and has not improved at all in those 2 years yet thinks he should be as good as I am. I will actively make up excuses not to play with him. So what I'm saying is move to central florida and I'll play golf with you!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

I don't know why, but I've always had this feeling about golf, where I expect to one day walk on the course and magically be better at everything. I feel like a lot of people think this way. They don't want to take lessons or even go to the range. They just want to skip to shooting in the 80's. Too bad that's not how it works :(

My friend will spend hundreds of dollars on clubs he doesn't need, but won't drop the same amount on just one or two lessons so he can figure out what he is doing wrong!

And his, oh just tell me what I'm doing wrong and I'll fix it doesn't work. Just because I can shoot in the 80's doesn't mean I can teach you how to do the same! It's taken me 10+ years to get to this point!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yaphet posted:

Are we all friends with the same guy?

My buddy is also one of the guys who tells me he shot 84 with his dad last time they played yet every time we play he'll hit multiple balls OB off the tee, skull chips/pitches and chunk a couple of iron shots, too.

That's totally true! One of my best ball-striking rounds ever happened when I played with two scratch golfers at my home club. We played from the very tips and I had only one bad tee shot OB and the rest hit the fairway. It's more fun, too. I always feel awkward playing with the guy who takes 5 shots to hit the green while you're standing on the green lying 2. I don't understand it either because I never liked playing actual rounds when I sucked. I didn't start playing rounds until I could basically guarantee shooting below 100.

I always, always play better when I'm playing with people as good/better than me. If I'm playing with my friend, I know I'm going to beat him even if I have a lovely round so why should I really bother trying. I love playing against people better than me, I'm such a competitive person it forces me to step up my game.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I think it's about time to replace my clubs. What I've currently got are

Taylormade R7 Draw Irons 4-SW
Taylormade Tour Burner Driver 9.5 degree S shaft
Nike SQ 3W
Nike SQ 4 23 degree Hybrid
Some Texas classics wedges

I can't believe I've had these clubs as long as I've have, going on almost 5 years with them.

Is golfsmith a decent enough place to get fitted for clubs? Theres one 5 mins from me. When I bought all those clubs I kinda went into a store and just randomly picked all those. The only thing I kind of got fitted for was the driver. I'm usually in the mid to high 80s and my goal this year is to get in the low 80s/high 70s.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

As far as fitting irons, it's primarily an issue of whether you need to adjust length and/or lie. You'll probably just get S300's instead of graphite or something fancier, and the particular choice of head has a lot of do with budget and personal preference: do you want a game improvement iron, do you want something with more/less offset, etc.

Fitting woods is a bit more difficult since there are a lot more shaft options and the choice of head has a major effect on launch conditions. It's possible your Golfsmith has a guy who knows what he's doing, but it's more than likely they're golfers of varying knowledge like anyone else, and they just happen to work in a golf store.

It's also going to be very expensive to buy new clubs. Assuming you fit into normal specs, ebay will be a much more palatable route.

So my best bet is to get fit and figure out what I need and them pick up something online with the specs I need?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That would be your cheapest option, yes. Unless you've got cash burning in your pocket, buying clubs 1 or 2 years old will save you a boatload, just like with a car.

Well, I did get a nice bonus at work recently so there is some cash there. :)

I think I'll drop in at lunch tomorrow and browse a bit. The one by me has a pretty decent sized used club selection too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I went to Golfsmith at lunch and walked around and looked at everything. That was a mistake! There's so many different clubs I have no idea. :( I think I'm set on a budget though, I'd like to stay under $600 for a set of irons. I have steel shafts now on my R7's so I figured I'd stick with steel, but maybe hit a few graphite to see if it benefits me any. I think I'm gonna keep my 3 wood as I love that club and pick up a new driver and maybe a hybrid or two.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow and talk to their club fitter and maybe try some out and see what I like.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just got back from Golfsmith.

Wound up with Mizuno JPX-825
+ .5" Length
+1 Upright Lie
Shaft - True Temper Dynamic Gold
Flex - X100

Should have them in a few weeks. I was consistently 10-15 yards longer and much straighter with these clubs than the PIng G25 and the Taylormade RocketBladez so it was a no brainer. Liked the way they felt and they look pretty dam good.

Also hit a few drivers the Nike Covert and the TaylorMade R1

I took this after hitting the Covert, didn't get a shot with the TaylorMade but it was just about the same. Need to get my launch angle higher, the Covert was set at 12.5 and I still couldn't get any height on my shot so I might have to see an instructor on how I can fix that. The 7.9 I had the ball almost in front of my left foot! Club head speed on the driver was 110 average and the 6 irons was around 91.

All in all I spent about 2 hours with the guy and he was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about and explained everything in great detail. Going to try and get out 3-5 times a week once I get the clubs since I now live 5 minutes from 2 courses and I'm off work at 4 so I should be able to get in at least 9 after work. Goal is to in the 70s this year, mid 80s right now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So my first trip to a PGA tournament was pretty awesome. We followed Bubba his whole round. These guys make it look so effortless it isn't even funny. Bubba finished his 18 and we hung around the practice green waiting for Tiger as it was about 40 minutes till his tee time so we figured we'd hang around and see if we could catch him for a bit. Watched him putt around for a bit and by then the crowds were just out of control, there was no chance you were getting anywhere near him now. We were able to see him tee off and decided it was probably a good time to go as that storm was coming through and it would probably be better watching him on tv anyways. As we were getting on the bus back to my Jeep they suspended play so we pretty much picked the perfect time to decide to head home. All in all it was an amazing experience to see the pros up close and personal and we're planning on hitting the pro-am next year and probably an earlier round when there aren't so many people.

This was the scene when Tiger teed off.

He's in the middle of the pic, look for the dude with the bald head and Tiger is in front of him. For contrast, when we followed Bubba we were pretty much right on the ropes. There was a few times he had wayward drives and we were first to his ball so we got to see him really up close.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fowler in the water again, he's done.

edit: Also a straight up Tin Cup moment, *hit ball* immediately ask for ball lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo Tiger almost made that, also perfect picture for Nike!

edit: Holy going baldness Tiger lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 25, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Got the club in. Man it's pretty; the red has quickly grown on me.

He didn't disclose until after the sale that there is a scratch near the hosel right at the crown line. You can't see it from address, but he didn't include a picture of the face or mention it in his description. He tried to repair it with what looks like red nail polish. I'll live.

What floors me, though, is the rest of the club is just...dirty. Tee marks on the face (and one in the cavity?) and little bits of dirt elsewhere. Who doesn't clean the club as best as they can before trying to sell it for money?

I'm about ready to buy one of those. I hit it at least 15 yards longer than any other driver I hit at golfsmith last week when I was getting fitted.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone play Tiger Woods? The new version came out today. I created a country club. If you would like to join: Goontopia, pass: radium

Is it any different than last years? I think I played that for a few weeks and then stopped.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well poo poo, my new irons came in this morning! Golfsmith told me it'd be at least 2 weeks but I just got the call. Think I'll go pick them up at lunch and and maybe grab the Nike Covert driver I've been eyeing as well! Looks like Sunday may be my first golf of the year with these new clubs!

Edit: Picked up the new clubs, they are awesome. Looked at drivers, really want the Covert but the teaching pro there really recommended I get a X Stiff Flex Shaft with my clubhead speed of 110+ so I'm watching a Tour and non tour on ebay right now that are well under retail pricing!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 28, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SpeedyCow posted:

Ooooh yea I meant to post but Mizuno turns around orders in 3-4 days for Golfsmith :D Same with Ping stuff, FYI.

Also, sup Mizuno Iron Buddy :dance:

I picked up the Under Armor Cold pants we talked about so many pages ago. They were still on the clearance rack and my size so I figured it was fate. Also I meant to hit some balls during lunch today but everyone else in Delware had the same idea as my Golfsmith was jam packed.

Ya I wasn't expecting them in till next week!

Won that Covert Tour!

This is what I got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160994441918

Think I got a pretty decent deal on it! Can't wait to hit it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So looking to round out my bag now that the new irons are in and the driver is on it's way. What are ya'll using for wedges?

According to Mizuno's website my PW is 45 degrees and the GW is 50 degree. I've got a 52 and a 56 from my old set so I need to pickup a 60 at the very least. Should I bother carrying the 52 since it's so close to my GW and just carry the 50/54/60?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

real_scud posted:

If you put it back in your stance and don't want the power to be lessened then you'll need to overswing for both the backswing and follow-through. Doing that should negate any of the affects of it being back in your stance.

Nope because of Sony and MS.

No it's not, I don't know how else to say it besides the fact it plays a helluva lot more like real golf now, especially if you go up to simulation difficulty. There's no hud, no green-grid lines all sorts of other things that make it way more realistic.

The legends are kinda nice, because it's cool to see some of the older pros basically as their hey-day forms. Plus it's goofy to use the 1920's filter and try to play on a modern course, or hell use some of the really old timey clubs on any modern course because they're so goddamned unforgiving.

Plus our UI is pretty and the best of the EA Sports games. :toot:

Oh and we like to make fun of funny things.

I don't suppose you work out of the Orlando EA sports do you?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh poo poo, I work about 10 minutes from you guys. You ever go to the food trucks on fridays for lunch?

Next time you have Tiger over to do motion capture can I come watch? :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

real_scud posted:

No because on Fridays our UI group usually goes out elsewhere since the lines at the Food Trucks can be long and I'd rather go to Tasty Tuesdays down in the Milk District.

Doubtful since no one but some producers or designers even gets to go to his mocap stuff.

Figured, a guy can dream though!

So are you a golfer? Need more central fla golf people!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

I'll preface this with an "I'm bad at golf, haven't broken 100 yet," but dammit. My first three holes today were a disaster. No warm up other than a brisk walk to the tee box and started 8(4), 9(5), 7(4). I then played the next 11 holes in +8 which is miraculous for me before having another three blow up holes 8(4), 6(3), 8(4) when my short game that had been saving me disappeared, and finishing with a bogey. I played 12 holes in +9 and didn't break 100, loving game.

From now on I'm getting to the course early and getting a proper warm up in because drat if that 11 hole stretch wasn't enjoyable as hell and I think a big part if it was that I was actually warmed up and ready to start playing golf.

A good warm up is key. I'm usually at the course an hour or so before my tee time to hit the range and putting green.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh god it's so pretty!

Can't wait to hit it!

Also picked up a Nike VR Pro 60* wedge at golfsmith for $60 on sale today, think my bag is just about set!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

So there's no difference between a $400 set of irons and a $800 set? Are people just paying for a brand name?

There's absolutely a big difference between a $400 set and an $800 set. You're looking at super game improvement irons in the $400 range to player model blades in the $800 range.

I've heard the Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons are very popular right now so maybe give them a shot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Am I missing something in this conversation?

I see TaylorMade, Cleveland, Callaway, Adams with iron sets under $400.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Let me put it this way. I was given this set of irons about 10 years ago. They are Wilson Fatshafts. I have finally gotten serious about golf in the last year, and have since gone from atrocious, to consistently shooting in the high 90's. I'm going to devote more time this year, so I EXPECT that I will continue to improve. At this point in my golfing career, is it beneficial to upgrade my irons? If so, what should I be looking at? Should I be looking into game improvement irons that will last me a few years, or something higher quality that can last a decade?

At the very least go get fitted somewhere so you know if you should be looking at graphite shafts/steel shafts and if you should get your clubs lengthened and the likes. Decide on a budget if you're going to get a new set and then have whoever fitted you recommend some sets. A new properly fitted set of clubs will make an almost immediate difference in your game regardless of the brand.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Cool, thank you. Is it possible to get fitted without intending to purchase clubs from the same place? How do I know whoever I'm talking about actually knows about golf and isn't just trying to push clubs on me for a commission?

Golfsmith has a deal for like $20 where they will fit you and obviously try and sell you clubs. If you wind up buying clubs the fitting is free otherwise, $20. You'll see all the fancy data on the monitors they have. When I went and got fitted I spent 2 hours with the guy and he explained every little detail to me. I did tell them straight up, I'm looking to buy clubs today, here's my budget, my game is at this point and I want it to be at this point etc etc so I'm sure he was a little more helpful than usual.

edit: My bad

http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/display/?page=ps/custom-fit

Their basic fitting is free. This should give you a base line as to what you need though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bubba is officially my new favorite golfer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u_2bGPdUY

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

God drat it Josh Lyman, no more putters. Seriously, you're cut off. You've got them all, now it's time to stop.

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 in gun blue Classic (1997), Teryllium (1997), and Studio Stainless (2003), as well as a Futura Phantom Mallet 2 (2005). That's one each of faces made from carbon steel, copper alloy, stainless steel, and aluminum.

You, you may have a problem! When you bag consists of nothing but putters, then you WILL have a problem! :) Nice collection though. How do you decide which one you're going to use on a daily basis or do you rotate through them?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

First round of the year later today with new clubs and some instruction from a pro that changed a few things about my swing. Super excited to see the results!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So remember we had that conversation a few pages back about friends we play with who suck and all they do is complain all round, yeah I played with him yesterday.

Anyways, the course we played on, his pick, was in poo poo condition. Fairways that were half grass half sand, nothing like nailing a perfect fade drive off the tee 300+ yards only to get to my ball and be in the middle of a path of sand! WTF.

I had a nice consistent fade with my new irons that I never had before and I was hitting them with nice solid contact every time. Driver was decent off the tee, started off having a nice consistent fade with it but by the end of the round it was more a slice that I couldn't quite control, thinking it was probably me getting tired towards the end of the round. My putting though, holy poo poo, I practiced a little before the round, but because my friend was running late we had to rush to tee off. I missed probably 6-8 putts that either lipped out or didn't move at all on the expected line. Oh did I mention the greens were in poo poo condition too and were more sand than green, ya. The course was barely worth the $16 we paid to play, any central fla golfers avoid Glen Abbey at all costs.

I wound up shooting 88 for the round and could have easily been closer to 81/82 had my putts rolled a bit truer. All in all not a bad first round with new clubs/new swing and having not played since November. I'm going out again Wednesday(thanks job for unexpectedly ending my contract and now I have a nice unpaid vacation :( ) with my dad and he's a low 90's shooter and we'll be going to a nicer course so I'll get a better idea of how things are then.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Not for nothing but if I paid $16 to play an 18 hole course, I wouldn't expect very good conditions at all.

Ya when I booked the tee time I kinda figured it was going to be poo poo. It was also after 3 so cheapest rates of the day. Apparently at one time this course was really nice, guess those days are long gone.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Enigma posted:

My wife's parents live on that course, and we play it when we're in town visiting. It's a shame the course is such a goat path, because the layout is great. It got hammered by Hurricane Wilma, and the owners let it rot and fall into foreclosure. It got new owners about a year or two ago who are trying to turn it around, but so far it is taking a lot longer than I was hoping.

If you want a better course in that area, go across the street to Debary Golf & CC. It has some neat holes and is always in beautiful condition. When we visit we usually do a practice round on Glen Abbey, sometimes playing multiple balls each or replaying holes because it's so deserted, then play a "real" round on Debary the next day.

I wanted to play debary, have played it a few times but it was $25 vrs the $16 at glen abbey, and my friend is also a cheap bastard as well as a poor playing partner.

Wednesday I'm going to play deltona hills with my dad, one of my fav courses in the area.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Enigma posted:

My wife used to play Deltona Hills one when she was on her high school golf team. She calls it "topographically insane."

That's why I love it! Grew up playing only courses on the coast so the hills there were a huge surprise and I love it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Playing here http://blackbeargolfclub.com/about/ Friday. Looks like a really nice course. Any central fla guys played there?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Scrapez posted:

No but I'd love if you would give a trip report.

Fiancee may be getting transferred to Lake Mary, fl and we've checked out a couple houses online that are on this course.

Absolutely!

Any reason why you're looking out in Eustis if she's working in Lake Mary? There are some really nice subdivisions in Sanford and Lake Mary is a pretty awesome area. I'm about 10 minutes from Lake Mary in DeBary.

If you've got any questions about the area feel free to shoot me an email mattfl @ gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

These arrived just in time for going down to Orlando next week :toot:

It's a shame Callaway isn't making these anymore. They play like a slightly harder Bridgestone E5 and I've really liked them.

Wanted to say that I found a whole shitload of these in my local Walmart and needed some new balls so I decided to give them a shot. Wow, they are really really nice and will be the ball I play for a while. If you're having trouble finding some let me know, the Walmart by me had probably 10+ boxes of them on their shelf.

• Locked thread