Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Suprfli6 posted:

Unfortunately I'm in upstate NY and this is the first year I've really gotten into golf, so I have a long ~5 months ahead of me. I'm going to be setting up a spot in my garage to hit into all winter which will hopefully be satisfactory.

South-Western NY here, and I too have just picked up golf this year. I've already dedicated my winter to building a golf simulator in my attic. Oh god what have I gotten myself into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

As a new golf addict in New York who finished his first year of flailing his clubs, (and just getting his replacement for a DOA Optishot pad that didn't even survive christmas morning) :

This poo poo is amazing. The feedback it gives a fresh, inexperienced idiot is invaluable to think about fixing multiple, compound problems. I can't wait for the snow to go away.

Simulator ToDos :

1) Better screen (a white sheet) to hit against
2) Stance mat to make myself even with swingpad
3) Reinforce screen to support real balls, dampen landing area.
4) Engineer some sort of ball return system

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Do you,live I'm the city or what? I'll be right over.

Opposite side of the state. About 7 hours away. Sorry. :)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

drat this big cold state. Good luck up there. With this snow I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it.

Thanks. Yeah, It'll be quite a few months before my clubs leave my attic, for sure.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

Ok, so what do I need to do a setup like this!?

Well : the majority of this stuff i just kind of had lying around.

1) Optishot Golf Simulator ($350).. Wife got me mine for Christmas from Amazon... lucked out and got a lighning deal for $250.
2) a crappy projector ... as cheap as you can find one that'll put a picture up from a computer.
3) pretty much any windows PC. System requirements are very low. Have a laptop made in the last 5 years? You're good to go.
4) sheets to hit against
5) practice balls
6) proper lighting. sensor is infrared. sunlight and many "natural lighting" bulbs make it not work.
7) a way to keep innocent bystanders out of harm's way. My damned labrador deems that area a great place to plop down and gently caress up my mojo.

and most importantly...

room to swing your clubs.

edit : before I got started with this, I was kind of depressed my house couldn't accomodate golfing like this anywhere inside. I hadn't even considered my attic, and my wife just mentioned it one day. Holy poo poo, you're right! The thing is that my attic is BARELY safe for this. I'm still working out my "upstairs swing" because I subconsciously duck/kneel/lean at the end of my stroke because in the back of my mind i'm going to hit the damned roof.

double edit : for reference : the PC I have connected is a Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ , 3GB Ram, and a GeForce G100. Runs it great.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 3, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

Simulator ToDos :

1) Better screen (a white sheet) to hit against
2) Stance mat to make myself even with swingpad
3) Reinforce screen to support real balls, dampen landing area.
4) Engineer some sort of ball return system

Welp : Have checked off 1 and 2, and my new Callaway shagger/feeder that spits a ball right onto my pad when I smack it with a club is absolutely amazing. It all but eliminates my desire for number 4, and number 3 was just kind of a pipe dream anyways.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

UnionCarbide posted:

Remind me which simulator you got?

Optishot. Pretty much the only affordable one.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Critical posted:

I read in a book somewhere that Pros sometimes used to practice in their hotel rooms at night by hitting wedges into the blackout curtains. They would cushion the blow enough to not break the window. Some material like that layered may be able to allow you to hit up to woods if the screen isn't really close to the back wall.

Getting it equipped to handle "live ammo" is totally doable, but I'm hesitant for three reasons:

1) I'm new and I suck. I still have a very real chance of blading the ball or doing something else stupid to do some damage to some stuff.
2) It's expensive(ish) to do right. You can get a "golf impact screen" for starting around $250 up to $1000 for a nice one that'll handle drives no problem
3) Plastic balls are good enough to at least figure out if i've made adequate contact.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The Optishot golf sim that I use is currently an Amazon Lightning deal for $260 (normally $350) until 1pm EST. It's not perfect, but it's a fun thing to have.

Edit : I can't tell time.

Edit 2 : :siren:deal is back on until 5PM EST , 3/28.:siren:

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 28, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm tasked with organizing a golf related bachelor party. We live in the southwestern corner of NY (south of Buffalo) and we're considering a destination-based golf weekend, where we'd drive out somewhere 5 or 6 hours away on Friday night, stay somewhere, hit a nice course or two on Saturday, then maybe another 18 holes on Sunday and drive back to NY. The idea is to hit some courses we wouldn't otherwise travel to, so I've been considering Ohio. Does anyone have any input or thoughts related to golfing the Cleveland, Akron, or maybe as far as Columbus area? I have no loving idea what I'm doing, and immediate google results for "ohio golf packages" feel like i'm landing on some really shady travel agent traps.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DJExile posted:

If you have some connections, a round at Firestone South would be a riot. The public 9-hole course there is supposed to be a lot of fun though. What kind of a budget are you working with?

Zero connections. Ohio is our target because it's enough of a "Foreign Land" , and still a distance we can drive to. Our closest (to there) friends all live in Pittsburgh. I'm hoping that the weekend (2 nights lodging and saturday/sunday greens fees/carts) will be maybe $400ish a piece. $150-ish a piece for lodging leaves us in the $150-$250 range for I'm predicting 3 rounds of golf. I know that's no PGA level poo poo, but we should be able to have a little bit of fun for that.

If i'm way off about anything, calling me an idiot is greatly encouraged :)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DJExile posted:

I can recommend you some courses in and around Northwest Ohio but I know that's a bit of a haul from Buffalo. I live just outside Toledo and have clients up in your neck of the woods. A lot of the fancier courses around Ohio are private, but if you call ahead to some and explain the situation, you might get in for a round.

The Columbus/New Albany area has some really nice courses. The Golf Club is phenomenal, but it's closed until I think July for renovations and it's very private. The New Albany Links are fairly new (think it was built around 98-99) and I haven't been myself but I hear good things. It's a semi-private course and I think weekend rates run around $45 per person.

Do some searching for courses designed by Pete Dye. He's been the architect for a ton of courses around the midwest and it's hard to find a bad one. He's known for links-style courses with railroad ties in bunkers, short par 4s, and really tiny greens. Lot of fun to play.

This is exactly the type of response I was hoping for. Thank you VERY much. We're an hour and a half south of Buffalo (Jamestown) so yeah, the 'middle' of Ohio is about as far as I want to make everyone drive.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Essential posted:

So, instead of a new Coach purse my wife wants to get some golf clubs and start playing! Which means, WAY more golf in my future! Any recommendations for a woman's starter set?

Our budget is $300. She has never played before, so I'm thinking one of the 5 club hybrid sets would be good? I'm also going to sign her up for a series of lessons before I ever play with her. So the plan is, buy the clubs, she does a month of lessons, then we'll start playing together.

Personally, I started last year and bought the "Pinemeadow Pre" men's set from Amazon for $150 and feel it is an amazing value for a starter. They have a women's set apparently http://www.amazon.com/Pinemeadow-Golf-Womens-Nitrix-Driver/dp/B008OTXYKC . If it's anywhere near the quality of the men's, it's a hell of a deal.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

jedibeavis posted:

If anyone's interested, The Golf Club PC game is up on Steam's early access and it's 15% off till 4/24. For a beta, it's pretty fun to play though the commentary is terrible & it's a little tough getting used to the swing mechanics. It's got some fairly nice courses the developer has made, and some user created ones are OK though you occasionally get one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzO_Y8Cxek

It's got a lot of potential. For those who may not have a "gaming" type of computer (or at least something with a dedicated video card), you might want to hold off. My Surface Pro 1 (Intel HD4000) can run quite a bit of games, but it currently chokes and dies on The Golf Club.

Edit : The makers of my golf simulator, Optishot, have also put out a free version of their software you can play on significantly lower hardware. Looks like they're probably trying to use it as a way to promote sales. http://www.optishotgolf.com/gimme.html It's nowhere near as cool as the Golf Club, but it'll maybe help you scratch that itch if your computer sucks.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

Sup Dudes, does anyone here use a Garmin Approach S4 watch? I really would like something (other than my phone) to easily track yardages, but I can't seem to get myself to pull the $300 dollar trigger. If not the S4 is the S2 any good? It's much cheaper.

I'm a total idiot, but I use the pebble (https://getpebble.com/) with my phone (and freecaddie pro). So does my boss and another person in my department who golfs. We all love it, and it's $150.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

True, but it's still just using your phone really right? I kinda of want an independent unit that uses it's own gps and battery. I really wish that Moto 360 would come out already, it's probably the only smartwatch I'd ever use. The rest are just too ugly. The new Pebble is OK looking I guess, but if I'm gonna have a smartwatch I'd prefer color screen etc.

Yeah, your phone still needs to feed it the info.

Edit : to throw down on the Laser Range Finder train, my best friend just picked one up and also professes its brilliance.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 22, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

oldskool posted:

I just got back from a rough outing where slow play messed with my fluidity and concentration...my first outing ever. Shot 84 on a nine-hole par 35, but I hit a flagstick, reached two greens in four or less & only lost two balls.

What's the golfer code for "I'm really new and therefore slow and lovely, please forgive my golf and feel free to play through regardless of where I am" when you're on your fourth shot 200 yards down the fairway and the group behind you is waiting at the tee box & fully capable of driving it over your head? I have a feeling screaming "PLAY THROUGH" back up to them breaches golf etiquette.

For what it's worth, I'm still very new, but my experience of other, more seasoned golfers is this :

Nobody is mad if you suck. Everyone is mad if you gently caress around. Don't dig around for 5 minutes looking for a lost ball, and don't line up and take 2 minutes to swing when you're already at the ball. Do those, and like RCarr said, slowing a group up for only 1 hole is just fine. Let the faster groups through at the next tee. You'll be fine.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Some people also pick up once they hit double par, i.e. 6 strokes on a par 3, 8 on a par 4, and 10 on a par 5.

Also that.

Tonight was my first night of league play, and we've already encountered our first bullshit cheater. I'm just glad my partner and I don't care at all and just want to play 9 holes a week with "league priority" on an otherwise busyish course.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I shot 18 with my friend last Sunday, he complained about back pain when we got there (he's 37.. but a very physically fit badass), and he "shot the round of his life". Sometimes our Lord Gozer works in mysterious ways.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

oldskool posted:

I have got to start planning my golfing for the early morning. Ended up as a solo walker ahead of 4 twosomes in carts, the first of which was playing hilariously slowly (I mean, I'm new and I suck, but if it takes you 3 shots to get 150y from the teebox I don't think you both need 3 minutes each to plan your 150y approach shot to the first green.) & the kindly old guy running the register came up to offer my money back if I wanted to hit the driving range instead of trying to let at least four groups minimum play through.

So I did my first driving range session and my first real piece of golf advice: "Nice, easy swing, you'll be surprised how far it'll go" and what do you know, I almost cleared 150 with a 5W on a nice easy swing while the dirt clod barely made it 10y when I tried to muscle up and rush my swing.

My first and most sticking piece of advice was to envision my arms and club as a whip, not like a bat.

Today : I'm spending some quality time in the backyard :

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

runoverbobby posted:

This is my biggest pet peeve about golf, especially on cheaper courses that already have pace of play problems. Deep rough is fine for tournaments where officials point out where a ball landed, but awful for the general game. Searching for balls in the rough is a bigger time problem than practice swings, waggles, and chatting IMO.

I was actually shocked to confirm that those dumbass looking blue glasses are actually quite effective. It really makes the balls pop. Protip : they only work if you shout "OK BLUEGLE GLASS" when you put them on.

Edit : yellowballchat : My friend I golfed with Saturday was using some fancy yellow balls, which worked great, until the course we played on had goddamned dandelions everywhere.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 28, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've been using GolfPad, because it features Pebble support for shot marking. It's constantly being updated, and works fairly OK. My complaint is that the GPS feels less accurate than FreeCaddie, and that sometimes pebble reaction delays, so I line up to take my shot and stare at my watch for 30 seconds while I wait for it to react. It works great without the watch too, just unlock your phone and press a little "mark shot with gps" button.

Here is an example round I played. (Yes I know I'm really, really loving awful. I'm new, damnit. Also for the front 9 it was pouring down rain.)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Son of a bitch. My friends and I decided to do a "twilight special" at a local course. Golf all you can after 5:30 until dark for $17 cart included? Hell yeah. So: we make it to 15 and decide we need to hurry up to maybe complete 18. To expedite play I stop marking my shots with golfpad, and things are going fine. We get to 17, and its 150 to a 90 degree left hander, and 200 from there, with water in front of the green. I hit a great (for me) straight shot off the tee, and decide to lay up (I have no hope of carrying 180 from the fairway). So, I lay up a bit shorter than I'd like, leaving myself about 140 to go. I hit what I thought was a pretty OK shot, but it got too dark to see a landing. My friends made their way to the green, and I circled it trying to locate my ball. As a friend got impatient and started putting, he noticed my goddamned ball in the hole (also my ball mark apparently ruined his putt).

tldr: sank a 140 yard shot. :getin:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

I get anxious when I have a great round, like I want to screw it up on purpose rather than piss myself off on accident.

Happened to me last night during league play. About to tee up to the last hole, my partner tells me I'm on track for beating my all time 9 hole record. So: then I duffed my tee shot into the woods, did a "3 off the tee" , sent that into some different recoverable woods, chipped out, laid up, duffed my approach shot, spent 2 more getting to the green, and 2 putted for a nice 10 on a loving par 4.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Homestar Runner posted:

So today I figured I'd revisit that Golf Club game on Steam to see if I hate it as much as I remember, or if the developers had since made any improvements

...nope. It's so laughably bad. I considered its mere presence a blight on my Steam account so I uninstalled it. I mean, how do you screw up a golf sim that bad ?

step 1) notice there's a scarcity of Golf games available for PC
step 2) pick up an intro to Unity Development book from the library
step 3) decide that designing courses or licensing real ones is expensive. outsource to users/random number generator
step 4) submit a broken piece of poo poo to steam "early access" to generate phat cash
step 5) PROFIT

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Also : it might be worth it to mention that different people prefer different gadgets. Some people I know swear by laser rangefinders, while others prefer the more convenient wearable GPS watches. I'd consider a gift card to a place that offers different choices, with the statement that he should compare and choose what he'd like most.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The new Mario Golf came out for 3DS a few weeks ago. That's all anyone needs ;)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The wife barred me from golfing saturday in order to facilitate a trip to Buffalo to gently caress around. So : I treated myself to my first actual grown-up club (I still use a cheap beginner's set)

A nice 56 Degree Cleveland 588 RTX.

http://www.amazon.com/Cleveland-Golf-Cavity-Black-degree/dp/B0093YZ9WS/

I took it for a spin Sunday, and really like it. I'm still a beginner and don't know poo poo from poo poo... but I think this club and I will be bros for quite a while.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Spend some time out on the practice green/bunker with that sand wedge, practice chipping the ball with a square, closed, and open club face, watch how the ball reacts. You can make a SW behave like an 8 iron by putting the ball way back in your stance, or like a lob wedge by really opening the face up.

Thanks for the ideas. I'd planned on taking it to the local "irons on grass allowed" range this week sometime, and I'll definitely follow your advice.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Holy poo poo, we did 36 holes Saturday for my friend's bachelor party at Peek n Peak, the nicest place in a short distance from us , followed by excessive alcohol consumption at our local brewery. The upper course , for a hundred bucks, will probably be the most expensive round I play this year , but holy poo poo was it gorgeous.

The lower course seemed like a ghetto by comparison, but it was also quite a nice place to play, for half the price.

I'm quite satisfied with the result, too. As a 2nd year and terrible golfer, a 108 on the upper "professional level, unforgiving" course is a solid accomplishment.

My problem with the entire day, is that after doing 36, my left hand is pulsing with pain. It might have something to do with having carpal tunnel, and the fact that I have to expend a lot of additional effort to hold the club straight through the swing with my 3 "boss" fingers in my left hand. I even still flub at least 3 shots a round where I let that hand a little bit too loose, and the face rotates mid-swing and just ruins my stroke.

Does anyone else golf with carpal tunnel and have similar issues? I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's not a horrible deal, since I can do 18 in a day just fine.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My goal for this, as my second year, is to break 100. Had a career-best 18 on Wednesday :

Mother fucker. :negative:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DJExile posted:

Also how do you slow down youtube playback? I never knew you could do that :downs:

gear icon (settings) > speed

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Holy poo poo. After league Monday, a guy I played against (who was a sub) noticed that my grip was too weak, and told me to strengthen it. It instantly bought me 15-20 yards on every full swing (my distances were shamefully short before this). Previously, my gimp rear end would hit my 7i about 130. Now, I get 135 out of my 8i. It's a step toward competence at least. Hooray!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

For anyone curious re: Android Wear and how it currently behaves in the golf universe : It's poo poo.

There's 2 apps that support it right now (I've already emailed my favorite , GolfPad, and they're adding support in the future) with GolfShot being the better executed.

The problem with it, is that it doesn't do the "always on" screen lower power black and white, so 9 holes literally drained %60 of my LG G watch's battery. It's so shoddy that I've already given up and gone back to my Pebble on the course, so I'm now a dumbass wearing 2 drat nerd watches on the course.

Conclusion : it's poo poo, but it's young. I'll post again when there's better support available, because I looked everywhere and couldn't find anyone's impressions.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 17, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

For those of you who might be bored and want to marvel at a totally incompetent driver swing , I present to you :

me.

http://youtu.be/2k2CbDqmOm8

This is a couple weeks after my discovery that my swing was too "arm"-y and needed more body. I went from averaging 210 off the tee, to 240-ish now... and I'm starting to get it back to straight, sometimes. This change has brought back a bit of a slice, but I just need more practice.

Also : I know that 2 big problems are my backswing being horribly overdone, from my face to my knees. Feel free to berate me.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I just want to retool my swing in my attic over the winter. I'm all arms that are disconnected from the movement of my body. I can swing my arms WITH my body properly, but I can't keep my clubface straight. That's what I'm working on. My optishot reports roughly a 10mph clubhead speed increase with my irons, just need to get them straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Seymour Butts posted:

Went to the range today and hit my new SLDR. Holy poo poo, not the sound I was expecting. I don't know why, but I was expecting a high-pitched pingy sound, but I got like a baseball bat gunshot sound. Oban Kiyoshi shaft feels great in it, too.

Yeah. My league partner bought the SLDR early on and we were quite surprised with the unexciting "thwap" it makes.

• Locked thread