Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

> typeof null === "object";
true
>

News:

David Bowie is releasing a new album!

This completely out-of-left-field (as far as I know) news comes on his 66th birthday, along with the release of the first single, "Where Are We Now?" which has a video here. According to the press release here, it was produced by Tony Visconti.

You can preorder the album, The Next Day, on iTunes here. It'll be out March 8 in Australia, March 11 in everywhere but the USA, and March 12 but the USA, because the music industry is still really silly.

Views:

[youareabadpersonimg]http://i.imgur.com/8VuA4.gif[/img]

This something I honestly never thought I'd see. Bowie has never had even the slightest hint of wanting to return to music after his retiring from touring in 2004. Besides a couple of media appearances and a few guest vocals, Bowie's been so completely out of the spotlight I had honestly assumed he'd never return - which, as someone who didn't really appreciate him until after he'd retired, bummed me out. So the news of a new album is loving awesome.

No word on whether he's returning to touring, unfortunately - I'm not getting my hopes up, what with his past health problems. But man, wouldn't that be something?

The new song is good, if a little bit bland (not shocking for post-90s Bowie). Obviously, I'm not expecting some magnum opus from this album, nor should anyone else, but I'm still excited by the prospect of more Bowie music, just because I love the man's voice so much

In the mean time, SA hasn't had a good Bowie discussion since that Ziggy Stardust anniversary thread in GBS. I've been reading through Pushing Ahead of the Dame, a blog that chronicles Bowie's music song-by-song, and it's been fascinating learning more about his work. It's given me a lot better appreciation for Lodger in particular, which I always ignored as a mediocre album between the giants of Heroes and Scary Monsters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So awesome. Hopefully he does a few live gigs.

Also at the album art

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

SO

loving

STOKED

Not holding my breath for a tour, but that would be something. Like the new song, at least initially - seems very Heathen to me. JESUS CHRIST GUYS WE'RE GETTING NEW BOWIE

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah

I would kill a man to see him live. I missed out on the last time, and it breaks my heart.

The song itself is good, reminds me of something that might be a Heathen b-side. Which I am totally okay with. Especially since this is seriously out of nowhere. I thought the Toy stuff was the last we'd ever hear of Bowie, and I have never been more glad to be wrong.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

true
>

incoherent posted:

So awesome. Hopefully he does a few live gigs.

Also at the album art

I thought this was just some placeholder thing, until I noticed the new Bowie label on the top (which was not on the Heroes cover), but apparently this will be the actual art, or at least part of it. Jonathan Barnbrook, who designed the new site, the album cover, and the single cover, said this on Twitter:

Apparently it's going to be some sort of theme of covering Bowie's face, as you can see on the splash page for the album.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Anything less than "we're having a laugh and ironic with MS paint" is just

Morol
May 21, 2007

I have a feeling that this going to be one of those "I am old man and is going to die soon" albums.
liked the new single.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me

My year has been made. I seriously can't believe this at all. The new single kind of reminds me of "Thursday's Child. "

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I'm-a gonna rip off-a your head and shit down-a your neck!

hallo spacedog posted:

My year has been made. I seriously can't believe this at all. The new single kind of reminds me of "Thursday's Child. "

Dear god thank you for this, that's been driving me spare for the last couple of hours! I could have sworn I'd heard the "where are we now, where are we now" in a Bowie song before but just COULD NOT PLACE IT. That bit is pure Thursday's Child.

I love it; am stoked.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

No one warp core should have all that power, Captain!

Man and here I was dreading having to start up school while working full time and this is seriously the best news ever, ever. I already preordered the album on iTunes but I hope it gets a physical release too.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

I can't believe this is actually happening! When I first saw some news about this I feared it was a joke. And it's already coming out in 3 months... so nice.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Holy hell, this really did come out of nowhere. I guess he might do a tour of sorts if he's up for it, but it will probably be on a small scale. What is the usual amount of time between releasing a new album and publicly announcing that they're going to tour for the big bands/singers?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh! I Feel It.
I Feel The Cosmos!

abraham linksys posted:

I thought this was just some placeholder thing, until I noticed the new Bowie label on the top (which was not on the Heroes cover), but apparently this will be the actual art, or at least part of it. Jonathan Barnbrook, who designed the new site, the album cover, and the single cover, said this on Twitter:

Apparently it's going to be some sort of theme of covering Bowie's face, as you can see on the splash page for the album.

http://virusfonts.com/news/2013/01/...m-cover-design/

Here's the blog post about why the cover is the way it is.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

I saw "David Bowie" trending on Twitter this morning and got really scared before seeing it was about the new album / single.

I like the new song. It grows on me each time I listen to it.

complicated shoes
Sep 11, 2001

Do you do tongue pushups?

This is the greatest news ever. I was worried we'd see or hear no more of David Bowie, so that this is happening is awesome.

The new song is great, too. I'm really digging it.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cosmic Horror posted:

I like the new song. It grows on me each time I listen to it.

It really does, I've been listening to it throughout the day and I like it more and more each time.

Reading Barnbrook's blog post (and I kinda do like the cover, now that the logic behind it has been explained to me), one thing I am sort of worried about is whether the press and the promotion surrounding the album is going to prime the audience into expecting something The Next Day is not necessarily going to be. The single, the video and the cover all strongly evoke imagery of Berlin (obviously) and the album trilogy he did there. I'm not expecting Bowie to wallow in nostalgia or anything - even if Barnbrook says the album is "contemplative" - and these are such early days it's kind of pointless to be worrying about this, but I hope people won't be fooled into thinking this is literally going to be "Heroes" again.

MinibarMatchman
Jun 1, 2011

Insect posse
will be crushed

Bowie is my favorite artist ever and I had pretty much accepted his quiet, no-nonsense retirement to parenthood, but this is an awesome surprise. I don't expect him to do any tours at all, but if this is as good as Heathen then it'll be a real treat. Obviously he's lost a bit of his vocal power but I'd still like some things akin to Reality or Pablo Picasso thrown on there, too.
Really chilling to hear the lyrics about people not noticing him walking around, which is exactly what you hear about living in NYC. I've lived here for years and you'd be none the wiser if he was strolling around.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

This is fantastic, I'm really excited! The new song is good. It's not great, but an album full of this quality will be just fine by me. There seem to be quite a few short songs (even clocking in at under three minutes), especially if you count the Deluxe Edition, which is quite unusual for him.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

I had long suspected/hoped he wasn't quite done making music yet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

That album cover is awful, but I really quite like the song.

Picnic Princess
Feb 9, 2008

My husband is going to have a poo poo fit. Bowie has been his idol since he was a boy. We were just talking the other day how we missed getting new material.

We were fortunate to see Bowie twice on the Reality tour, once from 8th row center. Even if he doesn't tour, at least we didn't miss being graced with his glorious presence. I am still so excited for this album!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

goatface posted:

That album cover is awful, but I really quite like the song.

I agree. I can appreciate the cover on an intellectual level, especially after reading the blog, but it doesn't please me aesthetically at all. I guess that wasn't the point, but you'd think they' find a way to make it work on both levels.

complicated shoes
Sep 11, 2001

Do you do tongue pushups?

I'd prefer the image they're using on the press release of Bowie's face covered entirely by a white box. I might just use that image in iTunes.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Waking up and seeing that Bowie had released new music is better than seeing Jesus after the resurrection.

I was lucky and saw him at one of his last concerts in 2004 and it was fantastic, but I don't want him to tour again if his health isn't 100 %.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I would pay top dollar to see Bowie live. Please tour, Mr. Bowie. Please.

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Bowie is my favorite artist ever and I had pretty much accepted his quiet, no-nonsense retirement to parenthood, but this is an awesome surprise. I don't expect him to do any tours at all, but if this is as good as Heathen then it'll be a real treat. Obviously he's lost a bit of his vocal power but I'd still like some things akin to Reality or Pablo Picasso thrown on there, too.
Really chilling to hear the lyrics about people not noticing him walking around, which is exactly what you hear about living in NYC. I've lived here for years and you'd be none the wiser if he was strolling around.

Hrm, I think he hasn't lost any vocal power. It seems to be a sad song, referring to the fall of the Berlin wall. It seemed to me that he was purposefully singing in a weaker sounding way to evoke the recovering emotions of the next day. The man is a master at manipulating his voice throughout his career and we shouldn't expect any less.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

true
>

BBC has a video interview with Tony Visconti about the song: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20953094

Visconti notes that the rest of the tracks on the album had a "rock sound," and that there's some "classic Bowie" on there. Which could be good or bad - I really liked the new single because while you can tell his voice is weaker, it works with the sound of the song, whereas it might not work so well on louder numbers

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It's just so good!

I'm really digging the new song.
It would be amazing if he toured, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll just be happy if everything on the album is at least as good as the single.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

The cover kind of reminds me of...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Starblind posted:

The cover kind of reminds me of...

I was reminded of that cover as well, although the thought process behind both covers is very different as far as I can tell.

I'm also not convinced that there is any actual weakness in his voice on this track. Until I've heard the rest of the album I'm going to assume it's the same kind "acted" fragility he employed in the past, for example on Afraid.

MinibarMatchman
Jun 1, 2011

Insect posse
will be crushed

Awesome to hear Visconti sounding off about the record; I almost overlooked the fact he was working with Bowie on this record. He is, after all, the dude who has helped produce a majority of Bowie's fantastic records, which is definitely a good sign. Also good to hear we'll be getting "classic rock" Bowie

Silver Brushes
Jul 24, 2006

Best news of 2013, and best that can possibly be.

edit: I'm freaking out

Silver Brushes fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2013 around 02:27

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me

You guys are right... the more you listen to this song the better it gets. It really grows on you.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Time may change me
But I can't trace time

I happened to be up late the other night and was hoping Bowie's Facebook/Twitter would post some neat birthday update, but this was the last thing I expected. And Tony Visconti is involved? This album is going to be awesome.

Please go on tour, David.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

UK goons might be interested in the Victoria and Albert Museum's exhibition on Bowie, which opens in March:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibi...david-bowie-is/

I just bought tickets this morning; the V & A puts on terrific rock and roll exhibitions, and I'm really looking forward to this one. Ticket sales jumped with the announcement of the new record, no surprises there.

I like that it's simply called 'David Bowie is' because really, can he be qualified with mere adjectives?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Man, I hope he does tour. I thought he retired from touring because he got fat and was embarrassed.

Back in like 2002 I never thought that having seen Bowie twice in concert would make me special for someone my age living in the US. 10 years later, not so much. Heathen tour ruled, though. The setlist was about half of Low, half of Heathen, and a couple of hits in the encore.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Man, I hope he does tour. I thought he retired from touring because he got fat and was embarrassed.

He retired from touring because he had a loving heart attack.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

When this was announced I was wondering if this would be the 2013 equivalent to Earthling, which I guess would be a dubstep album.

I liked Earthling but I'm loving glad it's not.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I was briefly excited at the possibility of the long overdue followup to Outside

Pretty bummed that it isn't, but I'm still enjoying the new song regardless and the mood that it captures, and I'm really looking forward to this release (along with new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, 2013 is off to a great start).

Regarding touring, I've never had a chance to catch him live and really would love to, but I hope that he doesn't tour because poo poo, health's more important. At his age and with his health concerns I'd much rather he enjoyed his later years stress free and just put out the occasional album if/when he felt like popping into the studio and laying down some tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

DID YOU KNOW: A ruddy duck produces huge eggs. A full clutch of eggs can weigh more than the hen that laid them!

~SMcD

Nice song. I listened to it a few times before I figured out what it was that felt off to me: the vocal track is amped way up and pushed out front. It just doesn't sound right.

I think the only constant thing in Bowie albums, from the 70s to Heathen, has been that his voice tends to be a little bit pushed back in the mix. Either he's singing quietly, or it sounds like he's receding against the band, or whatever, you just have to listen a bit more intently to really hear his words. Then when he really belts something out it's all the more effective in contrast. I know at 66 he's not going to be doing the belting thing, but still.

Besides that I'll be interested to see what the rest of the album is like. The upside is that it probably isn't just a money grab.

BigFactory posted:

David Bowie got fat = he's not dangerously underweight?

«7 »